Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
cybermirage

Peeling And Flaking Of Leather Sofa

Hi, just to share my experience and to seek advice from the forummers here...

2 years back, in Jul 2008, I bought a $1500 2.5 seater full leather sofa from Living Instinct (a.k.a I Vivi) at IFC, Sungei Kadut. The leather was warrantied for 1 year. Back in Dec 2009, about 1.5 years after the sofa was delivered, the leather condition started to deteriorate in certain areas, discoloring and cracking of the leather. Over the next few months into 2010, the leather surface started to peel and eventually flak and literally fall into pieces. Basically, pieces of leather fall onto the floor with everyday of usage.

I called up Living Instinct only recently to enquire what are my options. According to the person, their management has reviewed and I was given 2 options :

1) Redo the sofa with full leather wrap with a higher grade leather that would cost $1200. Only the wooden frame will remain unchanged;

2) Choose a new sofa "up to 70%" discount depending on the model.

I don't intend to take up either option but I also did not negotiate with them further. I only confirmed with them whether these are the only options I have. I don't even know if it's genuine leather, but I guess not. I thought leather sofas were made to last? Seems to me like a gimmick to ensure customers keep coming back. I think a few of the forummers have similar experience with this or some other furniture shops.

Do I have a case with CASE or Small Claims Tribunals? Moving forward, what are realistic options for me? Thanks for any advice.

Here's some images on the sofa condition, click for larger image :

th.96f2985631.jpg th.df94d2eedb.jpg th.942e627699.jpg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi,

the sofa you bought are actually PU leather, it is the kind of fake leather normally used by mass imported furniture.As the fabric or leather material is the main cost of manufacturing the sofa, this material is used in order to reduce substantially the cost price of manufacturing.

A higher grade of leather will be synthetic leather (also know as PVC) this type of leather do not peel and last longer.it will definitely crack or tear after some time.

The highest grade of leather of course is genuine leather.

Do contact the link below, they are our local upholstery co. of sofa with their own workshop here.

They will explain and show you the material they used before re-upholstering your sofa.

http://kmtradingamk.blogspot.com/

Cheers

Personally found $1500 not worth for time & efforts to be spent to get the justice, take it as a lesson, and try to understand leather sofa maintenance. I've mine at abt $3,500 since 2006, now till swee swee, on & off (~ 3~6 months)apply some cream onto surface to make it "softer", 2~3 coats, slowly, as well as to restore back the shineness. Make sure no kids jumping on sofa. No sunlight on sofa. Damped cloth for cleaning is ok.

Edited by bepgof

Hi,

May I know what type of cream do u use?

Thanks.

Personally found $1500 not worth for time & efforts to be spent to get the justice, take it as a lesson, and try to understand leather sofa maintenance. I've mine at abt $3,500 since 2006, now till swee swee, on & off (~ 3~6 months)apply some cream onto surface to make it "softer", 2~3 coats, slowly, as well as to restore back the shineness. Make sure no kids jumping on sofa. No sunlight on sofa. Damped cloth for cleaning is ok.

i hv my leather sofa for almost 2 year and it look like new cuz no one sit on it much , so i think it also depend on how the sofa is being used daily but the peeling is defintely not acceptable

Edited by timtim

Hi,

May I know what type of cream do u use?

Thanks.

Not a specific one, got from NTUC, apply cream just to make the leather more flexible, less dried that's all. Don't be conned to buy those expensive one.

Edited by bepgof

Hi,

the sofa you bought are actually PU leather, it is the kind of fake leather normally used by mass imported furniture.As the fabric or leather material is the main cost of manufacturing the sofa, this material is used in order to reduce substantially the cost price of manufacturing.

A higher grade of leather will be synthetic leather (also know as PVC this type of leather do not peel and last longer.it will definitely crack or tear after some time.

The highest grade of leather of course is genuine leather.

Cheers

Hmmm .... I was told by my mattress salesguy that PU leather is better/higher grade or superior to PVC for fake or faux leather :o

In my mind PVC is something like "Plastic" - thick/hard shiny type of 'inferior type material'

Oh dear .... which is correct ?

Hmmm .... I was told by my mattress salesguy that PU leather is better/higher grade or superior to PVC for fake or faux leather :o

In my mind PVC is something like "Plastic" - thick/hard shiny type of 'inferior type material'

Oh dear .... which is correct ?

PU=PVC=poly synthetic, meaning man-made.

Real leather will expend over time, color will fade due to uv light. Tend to look "dry" and "dull" after sometimes. Poly synthetic leather's surface is much shiny, the surface's groove marks are as fine as human hairs, whearas real ones quite coarse. Poly synthetic will peel of and tear, the bonding between the thin film and base give way easily after some constant rubbing/sliding. Thin film peels off.

Real leather also got full cow hide (full cow's skin, whole piece, more expiece), half cow hide (half the cow's skin), will not crack but tear (under great force)Apply cream constantly to restore look as well as to soften it.

Edited by bepgof

can you recommend to me? cos i just bought a new sofa. so not very sure what type of cream to use?

In which department of NTUC can I buy the cream?

Thanks.

Not a specific one, got from NTUC, apply cream just to make the leather more flexible, less dried that's all. Don't be conned to buy those expensive one.

can you recommend to me? cos i just bought a new sofa. so not very sure what type of cream to use?

In which department of NTUC can I buy the cream?

Thanks.

Let me go home, take a picture then post it.

Edited by bepgof

I bought our showroom display 4-seater L-sofa at >50% off bc of slight 'defect' - no warranty at all from Lorenzo but I'm pleased with the huge cost savings [got a sofa throw to 'hide' that small defect tho' my mom prefers NOT to have the throw since she prefers to have a neat pure sofa in its entire naked glory as the defect is hardly noticeable]

We prefer not to do a new order - get what we see and like [at very much cheaper price too]

The aquamarine light green sofa goes well with our light blue wall [at night wall looks green and matches sofa shade closely too]

Many years ago I'd bought a 3-seater and 2 1-seater pure leather sofas from HTL at their warehouse sale

Found that upon delivery not all the 3 sets were properly 'colour-matched' as such [next time MUST pick out and mark the exact sets instead of leaving it up to them etc .... ]

After many years of usage [without any leather-conditioning on our lazy part] the heavily-used/seated areas also cracked/peeled or flaked {but not as badly as TS's}

This time round we also bought from Lorenzo their leather cleaning/conditioning set [kinda pricey at $90+ but for convenience etc] as we're told we MUST use that every 2 months to protect/care for the L-sofa

Hi

Thank you very much for your helps.

I will go NTUC to look for this product.

You're welcome. Those use for car's synthetic leather seats also can, in liquid form. The picture I posted is in GEL form. More important cares for genuine leather are avoid

-UV light (PLC light also emitts UV)

-Jumping on sofa

-Salty + acidic "sweat"

-"Botton" at back of trouser rubbing against surface.

Anything I've missed out?

Edited by bepgof