Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mmm

Government's Latest Move To Curb Property Speculation

I realised that most agents like to paint a optimistic picture of the property market. Maybe coz if most people are predicting that prices will fall, they will wait and not buy now so volume will go down as well. And only when prices go down then people start buying. So it might be lull period for these agents depending on how long is the waiting time. :rolleyes:

Anyway, let's wait and see. I think it's gonna be quite exciting.... especially if the govt is going to push out more measures..... :P

Nothing strange, those trying to sell now are just taking profits. Only flippers who can't hold need to worry. Why should property agent worry, up or down, they still sell. They only worry when vol drop

as ppl wait and see. If prices drop, buy some more.. What goes down will come up :)

You only have to worry when economy drop or some mother nature thingy.

Ya, govt implement more measures when the wait is too too long. Ppl complain again not enough supply.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
I realised that most agents like to paint a optimistic picture of the property market. Maybe coz if most people are predicting that prices will fall, they will wait and not buy now so volume will go down as well. And only when prices go down then people start buying. So it might be lull period for these agents depending on how long is the waiting time. :rolleyes:

Anyway, let's wait and see. I think it's gonna be quite exciting.... especially if the govt is going to push out more measures..... :P

The invisible hand has been doing its job well via supply & demand, cause & effect, till 30 Aug, the visible hand asks the invisible hand "to rest a while". After that "while", invisible is again "on duty". One must always recognise this.

The invisible hand has been doing its job well via supply & demand, cause & effect, till 30 Aug, the visible hand asks the invisible hand "to rest a while". After that "while", invisible is again "on duty". One must always recognise this.

That "while" would be the GE? ;)

Edited by forgotten

Ha ha .... It strange that people insist that prices will fall without explain why.just simply say cos got new policies that why will drop. No cause and effect analysis on which rule is causing the downward trend.

Anyway, a downward trend only benefit new buyers.

P/s I am not an agent.

Edited by Jgal

Ha ha .... It strange that people insist that prices will fall without explain why.just simply say cos got new policies that why will drop. No cause and effect analysis on which rule is causing the downward trend.

Anyway, a downward trend only benefit new buyers.

P/s I am not an agent.

In another forum, haha there're even more people stating that prices will surely fall 30% without explaining why. They are probably first-timer buyers hoping for a market crash. 30% fall is very "optimistic" prediction from them leh when Spore's GDP is estimated to be 15%.

Edited by forgotten

They are probably those who has an opportunity to buy at 50% of today price in2007 but didn't , and been saying market will fall since then ... Anyway, good luck ;)

Yup, I think rate of increase will slow down and prices will soon stablise. It will not return to the previous low in 2006/2007? HDB sell their property 5 room at The Peak for about 650k. Do you think when the owners can sell in 3 years time, HDB valuer will value it lower than 650k? How can HDB answer to those pple who bought all the DBSS? If valuation of properties decreases, foreign banks may start to claw back loan. If this happen, some pple who cannot repay back will declare bankrupt. I don't think government wants that to happen. We need to have a sustainable and stable economy and not declining one...

Yup, I think rate of increase will slow down and prices will soon stablise. It will not return to the previous low in 2006/2007? HDB sell their property 5 room at The Peak for about 650k. Do you think when the owners can sell in 3 years time, HDB valuer will value it lower than 650k? How can HDB answer to those pple who bought all the DBSS? If valuation of properties decreases, foreign banks may start to claw back loan. If this happen, some pple who cannot repay back will declare bankrupt. I don't think government wants that to happen. We need to have a sustainable and stable economy and not declining one...

Having said that, I think 99 yr leasehold property in mass market will decline maybe from next year onwards.

I don't think that re-sale price will go down as what everyone claim will happen.

Simple reason is this, If I have a re-sale flat now, there will be absolutely no incentives for me to sell now. If I am intending to upgrade to a private property. I will die die try to hold on to both. Selling a re-sale and buying private means in the future I won't be able to buy re-sale again. Likewise for those who currently own both private and HDB will definitely not sell their HDB as that will be their only chance to ever own HDB (unless they intend to sell their private which I don't think anyone will)

Yes demand will go down as PR will be force out of the market unless they sell their overseas home (or find a way around it). But you ask yourself where will the supply come from now onwards? Just ask who in this forum will want to sell their HDB now, I think it be difficult to find much people.

Likewise private property I don't think will drop, reason being that PR/Foreigner cannot buy HDB without giving up their overseas property so there is a good chance quite a large amount of them with look towards those mass-market condo instead. The remainder will rent either private or HDB which also mean that rental is likely to go up.

The additional 10% required upfront will stop some people from being able to buy as well, but it is impossible to see if the amount of people who are unable to afford will be more than the no of PR/Foreigner who turn to private instead of buying HDB. If I am a PR, I probably will rent out my unit back home and can use the money to supplement my installment if I buy private in Singapore. If I want to buy HDB, then I will have to sell my unit back home which means I will also lose out the money i stand to make from my rental. At the end of the day, I might just realize is better to buy private.

Like what someone say, just because the measure are in doesn't mean automatically will drop. Sometimes must think from the other side. How can re-sale price drop if everyone intend to hold their HDB from now onwards due to the new ruling? Personally I think prices will not drop much short-term for HDB, might even go up. Mass-market condo might be affected for just awhile but could possibly rebound as more PR turn to private for their home. Rental likely to go up for both HDB and Private.

One thing is for sure, the amount of transection most probably will go down significantly esp for re-sale

I hope the government will see all these points that you all have stated here so that they know their measures are not going to work as what they planned.

Just received an SMS from a property agent quoting 10 reasons why the demand for pte properties will surge more than 2 fold. Those are the exact wordings used. I wonder if he understand what it means by surge by more than 2 fold?

It's not the 10 reasons that I am looking at. It's the actions of these agents that kept sending such messages to convince people to buy and grab now before prices go up. If the measures are not going to be effective, then why do they need to do this?

I don't think that re-sale price will go down as what everyone claim will happen.

Simple reason is this, If I have a re-sale flat now, there will be absolutely no incentives for me to sell now. If I am intending to upgrade to a private property. I will die die try to hold on to both. Selling a re-sale and buying private means in the future I won't be able to buy re-sale again. Likewise for those who currently own both private and HDB will definitely not sell their HDB as that will be their only chance to ever own HDB (unless they intend to sell their private which I don't think anyone will)

Yes demand will go down as PR will be force out of the market unless they sell their overseas home (or find a way around it). But you ask yourself where will the supply come from now onwards? Just ask who in this forum will want to sell their HDB now, I think it be difficult to find much people.

Likewise private property I don't think will drop, reason being that PR/Foreigner cannot buy HDB without giving up their overseas property so there is a good chance quite a large amount of them with look towards those mass-market condo instead. The remainder will rent either private or HDB which also mean that rental is likely to go up.

The additional 10% required upfront will stop some people from being able to buy as well, but it is impossible to see if the amount of people who are unable to afford will be more than the no of PR/Foreigner who turn to private instead of buying HDB. If I am a PR, I probably will rent out my unit back home and can use the money to supplement my installment if I buy private in Singapore. If I want to buy HDB, then I will have to sell my unit back home which means I will also lose out the money i stand to make from my rental. At the end of the day, I might just realize is better to buy private.

Like what someone say, just because the measure are in doesn't mean automatically will drop. Sometimes must think from the other side. How can re-sale price drop if everyone intend to hold their HDB from now onwards due to the new ruling? Personally I think prices will not drop much short-term for HDB, might even go up. Mass-market condo might be affected for just awhile but could possibly rebound as more PR turn to private for their home. Rental likely to go up for both HDB and Private.

One thing is for sure, the amount of transection most probably will go down significantly esp for re-sale

I am really don't think singapore government can determine whether PR has private property in other countries. It just doesn't make sense at all. There is also no way for the Singapore government to find out unless the foreign government willing to co-operate the effort.

I hope the government will see all these points that you all have stated here so that they know their measures are not going to work as what they planned.

Just received an SMS from a property agent quoting 10 reasons why the demand for pte properties will surge more than 2 fold. Those are the exact wordings used. I wonder if he understand what it means by surge by more than 2 fold?

It's not the 10 reasons that I am looking at. It's the actions of these agents that kept sending such messages to convince people to buy and grab now before prices go up. If the measures are not going to be effective, then why do they need to do this?

I agree. There is no way they can ensure that.

Personally I think that the overseas thing was a last min inclusion (meaning that they didn't realize the situation of people possibly owning "private property" overseas and buying HDB)

The huge influx of FT, PR and new citizen and low liquidity are the 2 key factors driving up prices. These 2 factors are not addressed, don hope for prices to go soft.

I agree with this, and that's what created the hot topic. Supply & demand still hold true.

Personally, I don't think prices will plunge down so soon, rather a stabilized phase is more likely. Willing buyer-willing seller, isn't it hehe :notti:

Anyway, it should not affect long-term buyers since value of house will appreciate in the long run, esp in scarce-land country; unless it falls under the exceptional rules.

Yes. Somehow I have the same feeling too. Only when people start asking, they came out with this answer. I even heard that even for those who owned properties like fields cannot buy properties in SG too. And the problem is they are not able to sell the properties overseas as there's no demand for it. So these people are trapped.

So if this group of people cannot buy, demand will be down right? :paint:

Personally I think that the overseas thing was a last min inclusion (meaning that they didn't realize the situation of people possibly owning "private property" overseas and buying HDB)

Heard there is this blog from a PR laughing at Singaporeans, citing how they have the best of both world while Singapore Government are treating Citizens as a child that must be control.