Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
neubie

Revamp Of A 40yo 3rm Pigeonhole...

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

bro, i have a noob question on network thingy to ask you.

so i have fixed a data point at my living room wall. opennet terminal is there as well. for internet setup, i will connect the opennet terminal to a modem. then from modem into the data point hole on the wall. once done that, all my other data point in bedrooms will have internet connection right? no need router?

Hi, nice place! and a helluva informative T-blog

can share where u got ur room doors? :thumbs up: thanks

wa, the doors are supplied by my contractor, veneer ones are cheap @ $230+ per door, cos it's not solid one, so its cheaper.... but i m sure u can get it anywhere... :D

bro, i have a noob question on network thingy to ask you.

so i have fixed a data point at my living room wall. opennet terminal is there as well. for internet setup, i will connect the opennet terminal to a modem. then from modem into the data point hole on the wall. once done that, all my other data point in bedrooms will have internet connection right? no need router?

if u need multiple PCs/laptop to be sharing the same OpenNet connection via wired Cat5e or Cat6, yes, you will need a wired router. The setup goes like this.

OpenNet TP

|

| optic fibre

|

ONT

|

| cat5e (short)

|

4-port router or RG

|   |   |   |

|   |   |   |

|   |   |   | cat5e (long)

|   |   |   |

|   |   |   |_____ Study room

|   |   |_______ Bedroom 2

|   |_________ Bedroom 1

|__________ Living room

you need to run 4 lengths of cables from the router to whichever rooms u want. this 4 cables will connect to the 4 ports of the router. it is not enough to just run one length of cable and expect all the other rooms to be connected.

If you intend to do away with all the 4 lengthy cat5e cables, then u can just use the wireless portion, nothing will be connected to the 4 ports. the below shows my setup.... where i will be using both wired and wireless to access

LAN.png

Edited by neubie

if u need multiple PCs/laptop to be sharing the same OpenNet connection via wired Cat5e or Cat6, yes, you will need a wired router. The setup goes like this.

OpenNet TP

|

| optic fibre

|

ONT

|

| cat5e (short)

|

4-port router or RG

|   |   |   |

|   |   |   |

|   |   |   | cat5e (long)

|   |   |   |

|   |   |   |_____ Study room

|   |   |_______ Bedroom 2

|   |_________ Bedroom 1

|__________ Living room

you need to run 4 lengths of cables from the router to whichever rooms u want. this 4 cables will connect to the 4 ports of the router. it is not enough to just run one length of cable and expect all the other rooms to be connected.

If you intend to do away with all the 4 lengthy cat5e cables, then u can just use the wireless portion, nothing will be connected to the 4 ports. the below shows my setup.... where i will be using both wired and wireless to access

LAN.png

If really want to save cost can always use wireless router to provide internet to the rest of the room. The downside will be you will not be able to share any nas storage unless your nas is a wireless device as well.

If you can't receive the signal can always add another router as a repeater to amplify the signal.

Cat 5e is more than enough unless you want to transfer more than 1GB of data per second.

If really want to save cost can always use wireless router to provide internet to the rest of the room. The downside will be you will not be able to share any nas storage unless your nas is a wireless device as well.

If you can't receive the signal can always add another router as a repeater to amplify the signal.

Cat 5e is more than enough unless you want to transfer more than 1GB of data per second.

NAS no need to be wireless and still able to access wirelessly....

as per any wireless communication, it's not 100% reliable. and adding repeater reduces the bandwidth significantly while extending coverage. no free lunch in this world

cat5e can support GE but some are a bit kiasu.... the bigger the better :D

NAS no need to be wireless and still able to access wirelessly....

as per any wireless communication, it's not 100% reliable. and adding repeater reduces the bandwidth significantly while extending coverage. no free lunch in this world

cat5e can support GE but some are a bit kiasu.... the bigger the better :D

How much did the electrician charge to lay the cat 5e cables to all your rooms?

Did you use cat 6 cables?

Ownself supply cat5e. RJ45 wall plates and panels all provided by my electrician…labour all bundled together within 1.9k package.

Edited by neubie

Ownself supply cat5e. Keystone connectors and patch panels all provided by my electrician…

neubie, Do you know whether the TP to connect to singtel/starhub box will be via fiber optic or cat6 cables?

neubie, Do you know whether the TP to connect to singtel/starhub box will be via fiber optic or cat6 cables?

The opennet TP output will be light signal, so will require optic fibre cable patch cord to connect. See above wiring diagrams.

The opennet TP output will be light signal, so will require optic fibre cable patch cord to connect. See above wiring diagrams.

Now only realized the word "optical". :P

You putting it inside cabinet? Open or closed cabinet? I am thinking whether can put inside my shoes cabinet or not.

Now only realized the word "optical". :P

You putting it inside cabinet? Open or closed cabinet? I am thinking whether can put inside my shoes cabinet or not.

Yes. All inside closed cabinet. Preferably not in a shoe cabinet as it maybe too low for maintenance access n if using wireless, router antenna shd be placed high so that signals can cover more areas.

Yes. All inside closed cabinet. Preferably not in a shoe cabinet as it maybe too low for maintenance access n if using wireless, router antenna shd be placed high so that signals can cover more areas.

Oh I see. I will put at shoe cabinet portion that are quite high up then. I have a section that are till ceiling.

heyy neubie, really thankful for the detail network diagram. ur T-Blog is more like a IT-Blog now.. haha.. cause u really guru in this geeky stuff.

i realised i need to install the opennet termination point and ONT before my carpentry work for tv console and feature wall is installed right? can i do it another way round. install carpentry work, then opennet stuff? yet can be conceal in console /feature wall.

Edited by steelze

heyy neubie, really thankful for the detail network diagram. ur T-Blog is more like a IT-Blog now.. haha.. cause u really guru in this geeky stuff.

i realised i need to install the opennet termination point and ONT before my carpentry work for tv console and feature wall is installed right? can i do it another way round. install carpentry work, then opennet stuff? yet can be conceal in console /feature wall.

take note if ur opennet TP is already there, just ask the electrician provide power points for u. when ur opennet is commissioned for subscription then u can subscribe to RSP (SingTel/StarHub/M1) where they will arrange with their vendor to come ur place install the ONT. so u cannot really expect the ONT to be done before u start ur carpentry.

best is ONT dun conceal, cat5 cables can conceal no problem.