Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
advancer

Low Wall For L-shape Kitchen Necessary?

Hi all my contractor will be starting work on my kitchen soon and according to his plans, he did not build a low wall for my L-shape kitchen where the sink will be.

Behind the sink will be a service yard area where my washing machine and dryer will be at.

Please advise if it is necessary to have that hollow block wall or is it just a nice to have?

I asked him about the wall and he wants to charge me additional $280 for it.

You may refer to my 3D drawing for better understanding...

kitchen-3.jpg

Edited by advancer

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi all my contractor will be starting work on my kitchen soon and according to his plans, he did not build a low wall for my L-shape kitchen where the sink will be.

Behind the sink will be a service yard area where my washing machine and dryer will be at.

Please advise if it is necessary to have that hollow block wall or is it just a nice to have?

kitchen-3.jpg

as the laundry area will be wet, it's best if can put up a low wall. using laminated cabinet will not last as long as water will soon find its way into the cabinet, resulting in popping of laminates and rotting of wood.

as the laundry area will be wet, it's best if can put up a low wall. using laminated cabinet will not last as long as water will soon find its way into the cabinet, resulting in popping of laminates and rotting of wood.

but i would not be tiling my walls, any issues on that?

but i would not be tiling my walls, any issues on that?

can also, screed smooth & paint low wall (which is usually built with hollow blocks). definitely more durable and protects the timber better.

kitchen-3.jpg

instead of constructing a wall, you may wish to consider having tiling on the back of the cabinet instead. this method is rather similar to the tiling that is used in bathroom box up walls. there this may incur some cost but should be significantly lower that constructing a hollow block wall.

Wow very nice leh>>>> is this for a 3 room or 4 room? Very nice. I think you must have wanted to keep it smaller and easier to upkeep.

its a 4ng flat, u can check out my t-blog in my signature to check out my reno progress :)

Thanks for your compliments btw

Nice kitchen... Not putting in any oven?!

yup not putting in oven, in fact we are removing that full height cabinet.....anyway my wife and i decided not to have that low wall....dun think there is much disadvantage there not having it....

yup not putting in oven, in fact we are removing that full height cabinet.....anyway my wife and i decided not to have that low wall....dun think there is much disadvantage there not having it....

Not much an issue with the low wall thing if you are a gentle user, or the lamination at the back of the kitchen cabinet(the service balcony side) is good.

instead of constructing a wall, you may wish to consider having tiling on the back of the cabinet instead. this method is rather similar to the tiling that is used in bathroom box up walls. there this may incur some cost but should be significantly lower that constructing a hollow block wall.

Can do that, but won't last long... tiling onto timber surface is not recommended, as tiles will fall apart after some time.... if wanna do that, might as well use laminate better.

Edited by neubie

yup. actually there is really no need for the low wall. I had low wall for mine as my cabinets are suspended.

As for washing machine, i never had any issue with water splashing to the back, so i don't think it will be a huge problem. :)

However, you might want to put up piece of glass or something behind your tap instead to prevent water from splashing onto your washing machine when you are washing dishes.

Edited by coldflamez

\

However, you might want to put up piece of glass or something behind your tap instead to prevent water from splashing onto your washing machine when you are washing dishes.

Yah exactly what we were thinking of, in a way it will beautify the sink area also...

Edited by advancer