Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

RENOVATION DAY 10 - STRESSFUL DAY

I am not sure how tiles selections are done by you all. For me, i need to make sure the colour matches my overall theme and i will put through the tiles through "stress test". What i mean by "stress test"?? LOL :D

1) At the shop (soon bee huat / hafary), pour some water on top of the tile and use my feet to try to walk - to see whether slippery or not.

2) Those that are not slippery, take samples from the shop

2) pour oil, soya sauce (dark and light), ribena and whatever i can find in my kitchen

3) leave it overnight

4) use a cloth to wipe off the next day (gently, not scrubbing)

5) if it can come off easily, then can be considered for next test

6) use a marker and write on it

7) use another cloth and try to scrub it off with a little soap.

8) final test, use a little alcohol and rub on the tile. See whether the colour of the tiles will change

sound difficult? well, i don't know any other way to make sure the tiles are slippery, easily cleaned and will not lose colour.

After doing all these to 3 different tiles, i finally chosen the one for my living/dining/kitchen + bedrooms.

BUT GUESS WHAT?? The tiles was delivered today and its uneven!!! So the tiler told my contractor then he called me to go down to have a look urgently. Went to see and really, the tiles are uneven... some are U-shaped and some are n-shaped. hhmmm.... was not really angry but stressed out. So quickly went to SBH again to choose another tile.

This time, i only managed to do step 1... sob sob..... hopefully it will be ok!!!

U really do all the above steps for your tiles selection? Wah... I really :bow::bow::bow:

Yah, agreed with Cingseu...I shd have used your tiles too...

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
your tile selection process is so rigorous... i wonder if anyone else did the same...

and if i've read this b4 i chose mine... i might just follow your selection process..

LOL...

U really do all the above steps for your tiles selection? Wah... I really :bow::bow::bow:

Yah, agreed with Cingseu...I shd have used your tiles too...

hahaahha... sorry for not posting earlier. I use kitchen a lot and i know how "mah fan" it can be if oil, sauces + whatever spill unto the tiles then will be difficult to clean. I don't wash kitchen with buckets of water, i just wipe. that is why step 4 is to see whether normal mopping can clean the tiles or not.

actually i did another step, which is to put the tiles on the floor near my bed and everyday i pass by i will look at it and see whether i can stand looking at it for days and days. :P

You should be a tile consultant for all homeowners! Shortlist all the tiles that pass your quality checks and make them a sticker that says "inspected by may_dream1".

Some day future house owners will tell their friends,"that day I was choosing between two tiles and couldnt decide but in the end I chose the may_dream1 endorsed ones because I trust that these tiles are the smarter choice for a low-maintainance, stain-free kitchen."

You should be a tile consultant for all homeowners! Shortlist all the tiles that pass your quality checks and make them a sticker that says "inspected by may_dream1".

Some day future house owners will tell their friends,"that day I was choosing between two tiles and couldnt decide but in the end I chose the may_dream1 endorsed ones because I trust that these tiles are the smarter choice for a low-maintainance, stain-free kitchen."

hahahaha.... you are very funny..... LOL

my bro thinks i am crazy too to do all these tests....

hahahaha.... you are very funny..... LOL

my bro thinks i am crazy too to do all these tests....

Ahhh...but even after the tests, still got hiccups when the delivered product cmi. I presume was China tiles? QC not gd.

Hurries off to do the may_dream1 tests on my own selected tiles samples as they haven't been delivered yet so might still be able to change if they fail. Can patent the may_dream1 tile test LOL Why didn't the rest of us think like that? Hats off to you :bow:

Ahhh...but even after the tests, still got hiccups when the delivered product cmi. I presume was China tiles? QC not gd.

Hurries off to do the may_dream1 tests on my own selected tiles samples as they haven't been delivered yet so might still be able to change if they fail. Can patent the may_dream1 tile test LOL Why didn't the rest of us think like that? Hats off to you :bow:

My tests didn't incl testing of unevenness. That only can be tested on big piece of tiles, not samples leh. Haiz....

So sad, after all the tests, in the end still .... :bangwall: :bangwall:

I concur. A May-Dream tick system sticker on every tile in the showroom.

1 tick - prone to water stains, must wipe immediately

2 ticks - prone to liquid stains, must wipe immediately

3 ticks - may stain if left overnight, clean gently with soap & sponge

4 ticks - EVEN PERMANENT MARKER CAN WIPE OFF!

5 ticks - No discolouration despite alcohol penetration

How the **** did no one think of doing this!!

This one's for the books. You've set a new standard in tile testing, May Dream! :D

-Ely

RENOVATION DAY 10 - STRESSFUL DAY

I am not sure how tiles selections are done by you all. For me, i need to make sure the colour matches my overall theme and i will put through the tiles through "stress test". What i mean by "stress test"?? LOL :D

1) At the shop (soon bee huat / hafary), pour some water on top of the tile and use my feet to try to walk - to see whether slippery or not.

2) Those that are not slippery, take samples from the shop

2) pour oil, soya sauce (dark and light), ribena and whatever i can find in my kitchen

3) leave it overnight

4) use a cloth to wipe off the next day (gently, not scrubbing)

5) if it can come off easily, then can be considered for next test

6) use a marker and write on it

7) use another cloth and try to scrub it off with a little soap.

8) final test, use a little alcohol and rub on the tile. See whether the colour of the tiles will change

sound difficult? well, i don't know any other way to make sure the tiles are slippery, easily cleaned and will not lose colour.

After doing all these to 3 different tiles, i finally chosen the one for my living/dining/kitchen + bedrooms.

BUT GUESS WHAT?? The tiles was delivered today and its uneven!!! So the tiler told my contractor then he called me to go down to have a look urgently. Went to see and really, the tiles are uneven... some are U-shaped and some are n-shaped. hhmmm.... was not really angry but stressed out. So quickly went to SBH again to choose another tile.

This time, i only managed to do step 1... sob sob..... hopefully it will be ok!!!

OMG!!! SO EXTEME!!!! And after all that, what a waste.. the tiles were uneven.. :bangwall:

How many tiles did you end up testing? I presume this would take quite some time eh?

Oh.. you're still a show off!! :P

This one's for the books. You've set a new standard in tile testing, May Dream! :D

-Ely

Have to put a fine-print below there..

**testing does not guarantee even-ness of tiles**

-Ely

Haha.... You all makes me laugh. I thought samples are given to let you test on top of thinking Abt the colours. Haha.... Other than electrical appliances having energy ticks and water ticks, now have tiles ticks??

OMG!!! SO EXTEME!!!! And after all that, what a waste.. the tiles were uneven.. :bangwall:

How many tiles did you end up testing? I presume this would take quite some time eh?

Oh.. you're still a show off!! :P

Have to put a fine-print below there..

**testing does not guarantee even-ness of tiles**

I tested 3 tiles.... Basically for kitchen as kitchen have all sort of things that will stain it. Actually one of the tile I left it abt 1 week, the whole time I was away during cny. That's to make sure it won't stain the tile.

Why you still say I show off?? sob sob ..... Don't play mj with you ever!! Sure will bully me!! :(

Ya, nothing can be tested on even-ness. Haiz....

-Ely

:rofl:

I tested 3 tiles.... Basically for kitchen as kitchen have all sort of things that will stain it. Actually one of the tile I left it abt 1 week, the whole time I was away during cny. That's to make sure it won't stain the tile.

1 WEEK ! Sis May Dream, you've been promoted to RT CEO of Tile Inspection ! :D

Edited by Kobelala

your tile selection process is so rigorous... i wonder if anyone else did the same...

and if i've read this b4 i chose mine... i might just follow your selection process..

LOL...

When my ID had selected the tiles, you know what I did? I took the sample tile, wipe it clean & use my mouth to test it, not taste it! Why? Because when you bite the tile, and if your tongue has that 'tinge' feel, it means that the tile is easily prone to absorb stains!

That sales person & my ID :rolleyes: