Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
csingeu

Our Lil Paradise

Thanks!

I'm quite tied up with school work (final year project submission) and office work these few days.

Was hoping to pop by the seller's place to take some pre-renovation pics to post here, but my weekends are packed with classes and other prior commitments.

Will try to do so soon, else it will be during the inspection before the 2nd appt.

Just want to confirm on a renovation contractor and start working on the details and budgeting soon.

I met up with my ID/main contractor on 31 Dec 10, yes, he was working that day. He came over to look at the areas we had agree he would make good once the leak in the ceiling of the common toilet was repaired by my upstairs neighbour. I got the impression that you might have approached him for a quotation as well.

Good luck with your FYP!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
I met up with my ID/main contractor on 31 Dec 10, yes, he was working that day. He came over to look at the areas we had agree he would make good once the leak in the ceiling of the common toilet was repaired by my upstairs neighbour. I got the impression that you might have approached him for a quotation as well.

Good luck with your FYP!

Yes. I've met up with him. think I roughly remembered the quotation is ard $63K... with an additional $3K for electrical rewiring.

He seems like an experienced and responsible person.

But because I've been quoted 50K for all my works (incl electrical rewiring) from JGH, I'm just wondering if it's possible to actually get a quotation between 50-55K instead.

If not, actually his quote and Willie's from RoomForIdeas are the next 2 lowest. and also 2 other IDs from Baroque and iBridge.

Baroque - Didn't meet up with the ID yet (just gotten a quote over email) - read mixed reviews abt them on this forum.

iBridge - met the ID at one of the home decor fairs at Expo. Enthu guy and quite persistent. his quote is ok, but don't like his design. :P

I think taking the lowest quote is quite risky (as can be seen from some of the govt projects which are always awarded to lowest quote, LOL).

esp so, when the majority of the quotations are in the 60-65K range. (or does it actually mean most of the IDs are 15-20% marked up from contractor?)

Anyway, my uncle is in the renovation industry too. But i'm not very keen to get him to do, because sometimes, might be hard to get them to do amendments.

at the same time, he also not very keen to do renov for me, coz scared don't do a gd job, can sour relationship.

but still want to meet him to get his opinions and honest quotation. maybe then I'll know how much the stuff i really want to do will cost (without the mark-up).

I'm ok paying a little bit more for less worry (though really pretty stretched le)

might need to T-loan from dad first. :P

Hello everyone!

I've been hanging around the forums for some time, and managed to get lots of really useful information here and also from some of the forummers (mae29, sgnick, Reiki, ymjp100, reglxt, RimBlock, etc).

Woot! my nick inside also .. :D

hahaha.. Congrats to you ah

very nice reno ideas.. by the way, can drop by NLB they got many reno books for reference as well :)

Edited by reglxt

Woot! my nick inside also .. :D

hahaha.. Congrats to you ah

very nice reno ideas.. by the way, can drop by NLB they got many reno books for reference as well :)

HAHAHA... yeah... we started off borrowing home decor magazines from the library.

I was a little crazy when I bought all the books (coz it's warehouse sales!!! at 30-50% discount. LOL)

Anyway, my sis also going to be doing her renov later part of the yr, can pass to her as reference.

And just looking at the pictures makes me happy too. both the home decor books and esp the cook books. *drools*.

think they make nice coffee table books too. :P

so far, i think the most useful one is the lighting bible. lots of practical advice, and i actually felt a little more "enlightened" after reading it. hehehe...

think the color scheme bible will be useful too, esp since we not going to have ID to advise us on colours... bleahz...

Edited by csingeu

HAHAHA... yeah... we started off borrowing home decor magazines from the library.

I was a little crazy when I bought all the books (coz it's warehouse sales!!! at 30-50% discount. LOL)

Anyway, my sis also going to be doing her renov later part of the yr, can pass to her as reference.

And just looking at the pictures makes me happy too. both the home decor books and esp the cook books. *drools*.

think they make nice coffee table books too. :P

so far, i think the most useful one is the lighting bible. lots of practical advice, and i actually felt a little more "enlightened" after reading it. hehehe...

think the color scheme bible will be useful too, esp since we not going to have ID to advise us on colours... bleahz...

imo, if u wanna go for resort style.. better go for warm lighting..

can try warm led down light too.. abit dim but romantic :P

Thanks for visiting my t-blog! Do you have a t-blog? How did your renovation go?

Yeah! I got similar advice from some IDs too. Coz I think I roughly mentioned it's for 2 newly-weds. No offence (to the IDs, but sometimes I think their design not very practical or family friendly). i think most of the IDs are planning their design based on your current lifestyle, and either they think you will do major renovation to build back the wall to partition a room out; or they think u'll want to move to another place (even bigger) when you have children (in maybe 5 yrs' time), or maybe they think we're yuppies and dun intend to have any kids.

Both me & WTB agreed that a WIW is a waste of space and not very functional, unless you switch on aircon 24/7 (like some of the ppl who lives in a condo unit) and it's really away from moisture. One of my friends told me, her greatest regret is to build a WIW. look nice, but waste space, plus clothes get dusty and mouldy.

Anyway, the view from bedroom 1 & 2 not very nice. It's facing the access balcony and there's a block at the other side... (though it's separated by an open-air carpark).

View from MBR is better; pretty unblocked (plus we are on the 10th floor), and there's a slight "window", which is unblocked by the Lakeshore condo, that gives me a glimpse of the Jurong lake. LOL.

I was thinking of extending the entrance to the common bathroom, so that i can convert it into a 2nd MBR with ensuite bathroom; maybe can be for parents next time. But think it's very "unfriendly" to whoever will be staying in bedroom 3 (which is likely the kids, next time).

And more hacking = more money... :(

preferred%20floorplan%201.jpg

I must say the WC at the first level (which is currently just a wash area w/o WC), will be very squeezy, but it will be really useful to have a WC downstairs. As for the shower area, i think it's a gd to have; in case, you need to wash something, there's no need to go up to the 2nd floor.

For the MBR, i think it will be quite squeezy with a king-sized bed and also with a study table, but WTB wants a king-sized bed. so bed is likely to be flushed to the side near the windows, and hopefully we can still squeeze out a 80cm walk space between the bed and the wardrobe, and wardrobe likely to sliding doors, instead of casement doors.

For the study table behind, I was hoping for a table - 2m(L), 0.8m(W), 0.75m(H). the 80cm depth will be easy to work on the laptop with an attached LCD monitor. I currently have a 27" LCD TV monitor which is connected to my working laptop. The extra screen space makes me more productivity at multi-tasking. LOL... and for playing games... :P

WTB thinks 60cm depth is gd enough, as she's concerned abt the walking space behind the chairs, for whoever is going to be sitting at the side nearer to the window.

As I mentioned earlier, bedroom 2 supposed to be guestroom, bedroom 3 supposed to be games/entertainment/study room. But since no money, and I guess both of us will prob be in the MBR most of the time (sleeping, watching tv, using the laptops), we can prob save on electricity (no need to switch on aircon and lightings for 2 rooms). LOL.

And if need to entertain friends, just use the living room lor. Building a separate entertainment room is really a luxury item. :P

For the bathrooms, like you've mentioned, I've seen pics whereby the pipes are everywhere and can be ugly and taking up previous space. As i didn't really take note of these pipes when I signed the OTP, i'll prob need to go down and take pics and go thru the details with my contractor (whoever the person is... haven't confirmed any yet)

Yeah. agreed with you that theme or no theme, no big deal, impt is that whoever is living in it is comfortable with it. Feeling of spaciousness is impt too, and hopefully we dun clutter the space with "nice to have, but hardly used) stuffs. :P

Hi, I don't have a T-blog as yet, won't post it until the renovation is completed. Its 95% now with a few minor touch ups to finish. The process was quite trying because of late delivery clashing with wedding.

I did not hire an interior designer - instead I got a coordinator to oversee things. I combined various elements I picked up while doing research much like you have, also largely the same sources as you but you can also look at flats for sale and pick up renovation ideas from there as well.

The way you have parked your bed against the window's wall makes it hard for the person sleeping against the wall to wake up without climbing over the other person, or turning around and crawling down the bed, instead of rolling off to the side. This comes into question when you want to go to toilet or take care of a baby at night.

Hi, I don't have a T-blog as yet, won't post it until the renovation is completed. Its 95% now with a few minor touch ups to finish. The process was quite trying because of late delivery clashing with wedding.

oh! Will be looking forward to seeing it. I'm also delaying my customary wedding til 2012, cos don't want to tire myself out after the renovation and stuffs.

I did not hire an interior designer - instead I got a coordinator to oversee things. I combined various elements I picked up while doing research much like you have, also largely the same sources as you but you can also look at flats for sale and pick up renovation ideas from there as well.

A coordinator? How does it work? Is he like a main contractor to help manage the sub-con? And also deal with electrician, aircon guy and curtains, etc? Mind sharing more?

The way you have parked your bed against the window's wall makes it hard for the person sleeping against the wall to wake up without climbing over the other person, or turning around and crawling down the bed, instead of rolling off to the side. This comes into question when you want to go to toilet or take care of a baby at night.

We are aware of it. The IDs have also advised us abt it. Some suggested building a platform bed instead, if we intend to keep the king-sized bed and flush it to the wall.

Else will have to get queen size and maybe have a bedside table too.

But WTB wants king size bed and not keen for platform. Will see how lor.

It's indeed a squeeze to have king-sized bed, built-in wardrobe, study table and wall mounted tv all in 1 rm.

Maybe it's not a gd idea to put work stuffs and tv in bedroom. Think will definitely affect our quality of our sleep. :/

oh! Will be looking forward to seeing it. I'm also delaying my customary wedding til 2012, cos don't want to tire myself out after the renovation and stuffs.

Not only that but its also financially taxing to pay COV + renovation + furnishing for the flat. All told, its going to cost you 100k.

A coordinator? How does it work? Is he like a main contractor to help manage the sub-con? And also deal with electrician, aircon guy and curtains, etc? Mind sharing more?

Coordinator, because there's no design input from him. I show him photos and work with him how to get it done like in the photographs. He's like a site foreman with the required contacts for various services, such as window contractor, wetworks contractor, parquet polisher, marble polisher, carpenter, electrician, false ceiling contractor, etc. I did source for my own A/C man as the prices offered by Coolserve and GainCity are pretty close to their tradesmen rates.

I've not bought curtains in the 2-3 weeks since I've moved in, because we've been so busy! But I also live on the top floor and there's no other blocks around me taller than mine, so there's quite a lot of privacy from waist down :P But we'll be getting our curtains this coming week!

Edited by cleong

Not only that but its also financially taxing to pay COV + renovation + furnishing for the flat. All told, its going to cost you 100k.

Yes... definitely... going to be bleeding dry... :(

Coordinator, because there's no design input from him. I show him photos and work with him how to get it done like in the photographs. He's like a site foreman with the required contacts for various services, such as window contractor, wetworks contractor, parquet polisher, marble polisher, carpenter, electrician, false ceiling contractor, etc. I did source for my own A/C man as the prices offered by Coolserve and GainCity are pretty close to their tradesmen rates.

Is it actually much cheaper to do it this way? I'm still not too sure how different this is from hiring a main contractor to manage it.

I've not bought curtains in the 2-3 weeks since I've moved in, because we've been so busy! But I also live on the top floor and there's no other blocks around me taller than mine, so there's quite a lot of privacy from waist down :P But we'll be getting our curtains this coming week!

LOL... I'm not on the highest floor (10 out of 14 or 16 floors... can't remember), and I think the residents at Lakeshore condo, living across the schools in front of me, will be able to look into my MBR. :P

Furniture Hunting [9 Jan 2011, Sun] (Part 1)

It all started with the Scanteak bed frame...

Today, we sort of started our furniture hunting again.

Previously, we went to Furniture Mall and IMM, to look-see before, but wasn't seriously looking; more like just seeing what kind of style is available, to see what we like and also the price range.

2 days back, I went to Scanteak showroom @ Henderson Industrial Park area to view the furniture with WTB.

WTB is in love with Scanteak products, esp the bed frame, after seeing it at one of my friends' place. She likes the simple clean-cut line and believes in the quality of Scanteak products.

6ft_vinkel_bed.jpg

6ft Vinkel Bed (not inclusive of mattress)

Elements Collection

... and so the hunt for gd and affordable teak furniture began...

I didn't think the bedframe was cheap (coz in the first place, I didn't know teak products can be so $$$!!).

So in order to convince her them there are other viable alternatives at more affordable price, I did some research on renotalk forums, and found some old topics on where to get teak furniture.

I compiled the list of places, together with the address, tel no, and opening hours, and headed out on our furniture hunting.

As we were having lunch at my WTB's sis's place in the East, we restricted our search to places in the east (eg. Upper Serangoon Rd, Kaki Bukit, Balestier Rd, etc).

1st stop - Teak Villa (5 Upper Aljunied Link)

We drove there with the help of GPS on iPhone.

Found the address at Quartz Building.

Free parking on Sunday - yeah!

Checked the building directory. No such shop.

Called the contact number. No one picked.

We guessed it either relocated or closed down.

Low morale...

2nd stop - Teakland Gallery (Sennett Estate - 20 Upper Serangoon Road)

Ended up outside a landed house.

Called the shop; someone picked up and informed us that they are at the shophouse just across Sennett Estate. zz...

Drove over. managed to see some teak furniture while driving to park.

Shop is more like a warehouse, with furniture tightly packed together.

WTB likes some of the dark-stained dining table.

Asked abt price. Not cheap too. Ard $1.6K just for the table. Bed frame is quite $$$ too. (more $$$ than the one in Scanteak).

Noticed a lot of cockroach wings on the floor, near the dining tables. Eeeekkksss. :jawdrop:

There's a "convertible" picnic table cum bench. More affordable, looks promising to be placed at the balcony.

BUT... siao ah... buy $$$ teak furniture to put under hot sun and rain without shelter... see also heart-pain. dropped the idea.

3rd stop - Ethnic Homes (802 Upper Serangoon Road)

Apparently this place is quite near to one of the IDs I've visited (I-d-e-a-l H-o-u-s-e).

Parked at the private residence estate behind. Walked to the shophouses in front, in the mild drizzle.

Shop is no longer there. zz...

at this moment, WTB was getting irritable... and decided to skip "Helping Hand" (819 Upper Serangoon Road).

We decided to go over to the next cluster @ Jalan Ampas.

4th stop - The Rainforest Resort Living (6 Jalan Ampas)

Drove over there; reached a one-way lane.

6 Jalan Ampas seems to be a missing address; or either a new condo development is actually built on its site. zz

5th stop - Charis Living - aka Colonial Antique (28 Lorong Ampas)

Managed to find the warehouse shop.

Free parking - Yeah!

looks more like a small showroom with some workshop/warehouse behind.

WTB interested in one of the dining table there. for a 1.8m dining table, it's abt $1600 - $1800.

No catalogue available; informed us to view catalogue online; willing to give package discount if we are getting dining set and bedframe.

6th stop - LifeShop (12A Jalan Ampas - Balestier Warehouse)

Realised it was only across the road from Charis Living.

Walked across and went to lift lobby.

Saw that it's closed on Sundays and public holidays. :bangwall:

I noted from the website it's opened daily from 10.30am - 7.30pm

By now, we were already demoralized and disillusioned and feeling hungry.

Lessons learnt:

1. Don't be a dumb dumb and refer to info in old posts (eg. posts in 2008) - many of the info are outdated. Pls do homework to verify (eg. call up the place and do a google search online)

2. Before visiting any shop, do call them to make sure they still exist or are open for the day.

... maybe it's an omen...

And when we were abt to leave the area to drive down to Ikea @ Tampines for quick dinner (meatballs! yummy!) and checked out the sofa set, dining set & bedframe, we chanced upon the new Scanteak concept store @ pegu road.

since parking is free and we're ard the area and WTB informed me that's some warehouse sale and new year sale (which we already knew when we visited the other scanteak showroom earlier on), we decided to check out the new showroom.

There was a dining table (think ard 1.6m or 1.8m) going for ard $1400 and you can get 1 bench and 2 chairs with a top-up of $100. Seemed like a gd deal, but we didn't like the design of it.

Saw another table (i think it's the Trae dining table - 2.1m) for $1700-$1800). Liked the finishing better. Decided to KIV first.

trae_dining_table.jpg

Sian... just realised we missed the warehouse sale promotion. Could have gotten a Teak cheese board set if we had printed and cut the coupon below.

scanteak_warehouse_sale.jpg

Ehh... wait... maybe it's only for the Mega Trade Showroom @ Sungei Kadut. hmmm... i don't feel so bad now... LOL

WTB was like saying "everyone is going for the Scanteak warehouse sale lor; only we come to the showroom here..." bleahz...

... and we journeyed East to Ikea @ Tampines...

We decided to go to Ikea, partly because we wanted to have meatballs and secondly, because of this post on dexufto's t-blog (We Live Love Laugh, one blessed resale 3i@ TPY)

manstad_sofa.jpg

MÅNSTAD corner sofa-bed with storage - SGD$1199

manstad-sofa-bed-2.jpg

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70125723

Quite like the look of this.

Went to google abt it. Realised that it is actually a sofa-bed (queen size) and have hidden storage area (under the chaise part). I want dual- & multi-purpose stuff. But WTB doesn't like. She thinks dual-purpose items get damaged easier (eg. washer cum dryer). And she thinks having too much storage space only encourages hoarding mentality.

In the end, decided not to get this, cos it's only 2.4m. Thinking of giving something bigger ard 2.8m.

Will cut the story short for our journey at the Ikea @ Tampines.

Stay tuned for the next post! :)

Edited by csingeu

Furniture Hunting [9 Jan 2011, Sun] (Part 2)

... and we should have known better...

Good furniture are not cheap, esp gd teak furniture. We'll have to look for other more affordable alternatives and invest in quality furniture a piece at a time. Maybe start with the MBR bed and bedframe/divan. Thinking of getting Sealy.

For the rest of the furniture, we'll likely to source from Ikea (yes... the quality is not the best... in fact, can be quite crappy for some items... heard horror stories from friends and renotalk forum).

For the living room!

living_room_ikea_furniture.jpg

As the living room is likely to be in light/white-based wall colour, except maybe the piece of wall behind the tv console (which may be mocha, or grey-based color), i'm thinking of having the black-brown color scheme for the furniture.

It may not exactly be modern resort style (actually i don't really know what it really is too... ) but at least I think the colour scheme will give us more flexibility and look more "modern" (??).

Kivik 3-seater + chaise lounge (gray-brown) - SGD$1399

kivik_loveseat_and_chaise_lounge-gray_br

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S09884954

WTB & me tried the sofa. Felt quite comfy, esp with lumbar cushions. The fabric looks ok too. And it's 2.8m! and The seats feel spacious, esp the chaise lounge. Looks like it can squeeze 2 person (WTB & me and quite small size... *ahem*... i'm getting fatter though)

Expedit 5x5 bookcase (black-brown) - SGD$299

expedit-bookcase-black-brown.JPG

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20047676

It's 185cm x 185cm. Big enough to act as a room divider. And I can place my nice "coffeetable" books (the ID & cookery books bought from PageOne Warehouse Sale earlier on) there. :)

LACK TV bench (black-brown) - SGD$99

lack-tv-unit-black_brown.jpg

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20105341

Dimensions: 149cm x 55cm x 35cm

WTB likes simple and clean-cut look. will be wall-mounting the TV, so the tv bench will be used mainly to hold the DVD player, wii console and xbox console (in the future! yeah!).

Was initially thinking of using a LACK or EXPEDIT shelving unit and placing it horizontally to be used as a TV bench.

still considering between this and the other 2 options.

LACK coffee table (black-brown) - SGD$39

lack-coffee-table-black_brown.jpg

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00104291

Dimensions: 90cm x 55cm x 45cm

Simple and cheap is gd. :) BUT quality might suffer. :(

Total cost of furniture for living room = $1399 + $299 + $99 + $39 = $1836.

This will be the base amount we'll be looking at, but we'll explore other options (though I think it's hard to find things that are cheaper and of better quality; not to say IKEA products are of high quality la, but hopefully can make it for a few yrs)

Furniture Hunting [9 Jan 2011, Sun] (Part 3)

... to invest or not, that was the question...

We were previously considering whether to invest in a gd piece of teak dining table; so that not every piece of furniture is from cheapo Ikea and also, a gd and solid dining table will last a long time and be a centre-piece of the house too.

But like most people, we were budget-constraint and we'll see what we can get out from Ikea.

For the dining room!

dining_room_ikea_furniture.jpg

Bjursta dining table (brown-black) - SGD$325

bjursta-dining-table-black_brown.jpg

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70116262

Dimensions: 175/218/260cm x 95cm x 74cm

The more "cheapskate" version of his solid-wood brother (can't remember the series), which costs $800. Its tabletop is made of particleboard, instead of solid pine/birch wood.

A friend has bought it and one day, when they forgot to close the window near the dining table. The rain got in, and the table was "gone". There's like popping (due to the expansion of the material in the particle board - i guess) all over the table top.

As mentioned, I currently, also own a ikea table. Not as solid as we think. The centre portion tends to sag badly, after prolonged use.

WTB & I agreed that, since we not going to invest money to get gd teak dining table now; just get one that's gd enough for the time being. We'll invest in quality furniture, 1 at a time. :P

I like the fact that it's extensible, so that we can actually accommodate more friends/relatives during house parties or reunion dinners. :P

WTB hates it. She thinks such tables (due to all the moving parts), tend to get damaged easier and she also thinks the leaves make it looks ugly, cos it's not 1 complete piece of table top.

Henriksdal dining chair (brown-black frame with Kungsvik sand cover) - SGD$99

henriksdal-chair-black_brown.JPG

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S09861434

Do you think it's matching with the Bjursta dining table? I kind of like it. :)

SMEDSTA swivel armchair cover (leaby black or leaby white) - SGD$199

smedsta-swivel-armchair-cover-white.JPG

smedsta-swivel-armchair-cover-black.JPG

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50157079

WTB tried it and likes it. I think it's quite nice too. Initially, she wanted a different armchair (from the sofa set), so that it stands out. But i didn't want an armchair just so it stands out. I want something which i think is comfy and that i would sit and relax in it and read a book or watch tv. :P

Which one do you think looks better and matches the rest of the furniture and my theme??

Total cost: $325 + 6 * $99 (going to get 6 chairs) + $199 = $1118

Woah! we can actually get a complete dining set with 6 (quite nice looking) chairs + an swivel armchair for $1118. If we were to get a teak dining table from Scanteak, even after topping up another $600-700, we'll only get a dining table. the chair (from Scanteak) cost abt $130 - $199 per piece.

BUT like i said, IKEA quality can be quite crappy. :(

Alright. That's it for now. Getting very late. Need to work tomorrow. Will update on the Ikea bedframes we've shortlisted later.

Stay tuned for the next post!

Edited by csingeu

Foyer

1. To have a shoe cabinet cum settee.

foyer%20settee%201.gif

IKEA LACK shelf hack... but may not be sturdy enough for me... :(

Utility/Storage

1. To be used as storeroom for now (coz no budget to do up)

2. Just re-tiling and painting

I'm currently using the LACK shelf as my shoe-wearing bench. Okay la, it's not super-sturdy, but I think it should be good for a while yet. It's a bit prone to sagging over time (particleboard, what to do), but I think that can be countered by flipping it over from time to time, so that one side doesn't get overused (over-sat-on?), which means that unlike the picture, cannot install the legs... then again, having the legs as in the picture would increase the pressure/sq inch when you sit on it, so just as well I guess...

Very convenient to put shoes in the little cubby holes though :P

i think can la... you don't look so fat mah~ :lol: quite a number of forumers used the LACK shelf as seats. i guess you can do it without legs~ ;)

i initially wanted to use a LACK or EXPEDIT for shoe rack + seat too, but dropped the idea cos i felt it can't hold many shoes..... :lol:

it's good and practical to have the store room... keep the junks out of sight :P

Our Preferred Layout (to be finalized) - Part 5/5

Toilets

1. Shower area with shower screen

2. Rain shower will be a bonus (though not very keen on having a storage heater; think don't have storage heater, the pressure not enough for rain shower)

3. Vanity top is prob a must (for vain people, LOL... not me... :P)

4. Some air-purifying plants will be gd

5. Want to install ventilation fans too; hopefully will keep the toilets drier; but WTB thinks it's useless and waste of money (she says "you think it's office toilets ah?" LOL)

i think ventilation fan is not allowed for HDB? :unsure:

FWAH... Astounded by the number of replies and the sheer amount of information that had been painstakingly uploaded by my dearest fiance.

It's like having the last 3 months compressed into a a few forum entries!

Looking forward to actually starting the reno! And yes, learning how to cook... *Tom Yum Soup, yummy...*

i'm impressed by the number of posts and the amount of research done by csingeu... some more part-time studying... win liao :bow:

LOL i did the same... always camping at Jurong East Library~ :lol:

and hor, there were pple that just tore out the pages they wanted and left the magazines back in the rack. really terrible! :curse:

it's better to space out the big events nia... i moved into my new home just 5 days before wedding. almost died~ so tiring!! :wacko:

I like the fact that it's extensible, so that we can actually accommodate more friends/relatives during house parties or reunion dinners. :P

WTB hates it. She thinks such tables (due to all the moving parts), tend to get damaged easier and she also thinks the leaves make it looks ugly, cos it's not 1 complete piece of table top.

Henriksdal dining chair (brown-black frame with Kungsvik sand cover) - SGD$99

henriksdal-chair-black_brown.JPG

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S09861434

Do you think it's matching with the Bjursta dining table? I kind of like it. :)

Tell your WTB to cover it with a nice table runner, or table cloth! Tada problem solved :P But she does have a point, and sometimes the leaves of the table can be heavy, so do note when you take them out that 1) the leaves that hide the extension may be hard to move (especially if over time they warp) and 2) the hidden leaves will probably take both of you to set up.

PS the chairs are nice!

i think can la... you don't look so fat mah~ :lol: quite a number of forumers used the LACK shelf as seats. i guess you can do it without legs~ ;)

i initially wanted to use a LACK or EXPEDIT for shoe rack + seat too, but dropped the idea cos i felt it can't hold many shoes..... :lol:

Haha! You should talk to my husband's weighing scale; I stepped on it once and the number display kept scrambling (it's one of those liquid-crystal display types). I looked at pinkhubby and said, "I think your weighing scale hates me."

And yeah, LACK cannot hold many shoes... about 8 pairs in total? Unless you kitbash it and add a divider running through each cubbyhole, in which case it will take a max of 16 pairs...