Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
csingeu

Our Lil Paradise

haha... LED lights got this function....? LOL.

my wifey chose based on colour and size. Mine is 506 litres i think, side by side - one side freezer. Can put lots of ice cream and frozen stuff. Wifey likes to cook but often is busy with work, so she likes to have everything in the fridge once she is free to cook.

colour is important as well. Unless your fridge is designer kind, should try to get those that blend into your kitchen or rather those that do not "snatch" attention from your kitchen cabinets (which should rightfully be prettier) :)

If you check out: els.nea.gov.sg/mels/aircon.asp (no www in front), electrical consumption for a 3 tick and a 4 tick fridge of similar capacity would not differ much over a 5 year lifespan.

THere is also a Mega at Novena square as well. But i find Kong Tai more approachable and less pushy. I was at Kong Tai to do my homework as well. :)

Apparently, it's not a new thing... think fridge with LED lights for enhanced vitamins already available ard 2006.

Some link for your reference. :dunno:

Can LEDs in refrigerators enhance the nutritional value of vegetables?

I'm likely to get from Kong Tai too. Guy who attended to me during my first visit seemed fairly friendly and willing to help.

will get fridge, washing machine, hood & hob from them. and maybe also instant water heaters. hopefully can get a package deal.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Wow, impressive blog csingeu.

Hah, didn't know that I have a review.. thanks thanks.

I see that you got yourself another toy from ejzoen. nice.

p.s I certainly agree with you with the hts portion, it's a guy's thing. LoL

LOL!

Not really a review la... more like personal reflections abt my visit to your place. :)

Yes! The Arco Lamp is here! and it's a little less than what I expected. Think the total price is <$350! and i'll be collecting it this Sat. Will prob test it at my current home first, since my new place, won't be ready b4 May (I guess)...

But i think the lamp is a little tall (think ard 2.4m or so), a bit dangerous to assemble at my current place, coz my living room got ceiling fan.

For my new place, there won't be ceiling fans for my living rm or dining rm.

Some friends *s-w-e-a-r* by ceiling fans for cooling and ventilation. But I think it's visually cluttering, and for it to be effective, it has to be placed above the area it's trying to cool. And this usually means being positioned off-sided, as the sofa is likely to be against the wall or so...

And I don't really like built-in stuff; kind of restrict future configuration, if next time, I intend to change facing of my sofa and tv console, or shift the sofa... then the ceiling fan not very effective le.

Don't like it in my bedrooms too.. think have to be careful with them... I don't want to lose a hand or wat (maybe i'm sounding paranoid)...

maybe i'm just don't like ceiling fans la...

anyone using standing fan or other cooling solutions (not ceiling fans, not wall-mounted fans, not aircon)? :P

Yes... slowly "psycho-ing" my WTB to the idea of having a projector and 5.1 HTS... LOL... maybe she just gave up on me (coz i'm just too stubborn)... :P

She was telling me we should get this game and it would be the highlight of our house warming... and I said "yeah! with our projector and 5.1 HTS too!" hehehe...

Just Dance 2 E3 2010 Trailer (Wii)

LOL!

Not really a review la... more like personal reflections abt my visit to your place. :)

Yes! The Arco Lamp is here! and it's a little less than what I expected. Think the total price is <$350! and i'll be collecting it this Sat. Will prob test it at my current home first, since my new place, won't be ready b4 May (I guess)...

But i think the lamp is a little tall (think ard 2.4m or so), a bit dangerous to assemble at my current place, coz my living room got ceiling fan.

For my new place, there won't be ceiling fans for my living rm or dining rm.

Some friends *s-w-e-a-r* by ceiling fans for cooling and ventilation. But I think it's visually cluttering, and for it to be effective, it has to be placed above the area it's trying to cool. And this usually means being positioned off-sided, as the sofa is likely to be against the wall or so...

And I don't really like built-in stuff; kind of restrict future configuration, if next time, I intend to change facing of my sofa and tv console, or shift the sofa... then the ceiling fan not very effective le.

Don't like it in my bedrooms too.. think have to be careful with them... I don't want to lose a hand or wat (maybe i'm sounding paranoid)...

maybe i'm just don't like ceiling fans la...

anyone using standing fan or other cooling solutions (not ceiling fans, not wall-mounted fans, not aircon)? :P

2.4m?? that's very tall for a lamp :o almost as high as normal HDB ceiling liao... but yours is EM rite, so has a high ceiling at the living room.... :sport-smiley-004:

well, i'm one of those that *s-w-e-a-r* by ceiling fan, it is really a lot more cooling than standing fan (i used standing fan in previous place).

what ceiling fan does is general area cooling, unlike standing fan that is very localised....

2.4m?? that's very tall for a lamp :o almost as high as normal HDB ceiling liao... but yours is EM rite, so has a high ceiling at the living room.... :sport-smiley-004:

well, i'm one of those that *s-w-e-a-r* by ceiling fan, it is really a lot more cooling than standing fan (i used standing fan in previous place).

what ceiling fan does is general area cooling, unlike standing fan that is very localised....

at the moment, i am using standing fan. its a waste of space but its good if you want the fan to blow at you directly. cooler than ceiling fans cos ceiling fans its general cooling, not direct.

I would prefer ceiling fans though. :)

i also suppot for ceiling fans! have installed for living room and 3 bedrooms. the cooling effect is really nice, and it is cost saving to our electrical bills! i didnt like ceiling idea until i visited my brother's place. realised it is so useful and save space for your flooring.

but i think probably tall people will have a bit of phobia i guess. haha. i'm standing at 1.76m. my ceiling for whole house is 2.6m. when i reach up my hand still cannot touch the fan blades unless i tee toes. heng.. :D

I've used both ceiling fans and standing fans in my current house, and well, IMO I prefer ceiling fans, because I don't like the visual clutter of a standing fan.

What about a portable aircon? They might be a good compromise between airconditioning and fans... some models look nice and sleek as well.

i chose KDK for all my 4 ceiling fans. it's a old and reliable brands i guess. from colleagues and relatives who have been using those older models, many concur that kdk fans are lasting as compared to others. hopefully mine can see out their lifespans for at least 5 years.

for kdk fan, u can get them from EverJoint @ AMK. they sell the cheapest as far as i have reckeed all over the island. small 3 blades one for $159. 4 blades one (living room) for $350.

I've used both ceiling fans and standing fans in my current house, and well, IMO I prefer ceiling fans, because I don't like the visual clutter of a standing fan.

What about a portable aircon? They might be a good compromise between airconditioning and fans... some models look nice and sleek as well.

yeap i think ceiling fan combi with standing fan (when necessary) is good enough.

portable aircon is a sham really. aircon itself looks good, but the pipe to draw in air has to be connected to the outside - meaning u have to cut a hole in the window. Hence its not portable at all. :(

wonder who gave it the portable name? just becos they got wheels...?

better solution is to plan really well ahead by choosing a unit carefully with minimal afternoon sun. Went to a birthday party once, house owner have afternoon sun in living room. Ceiling fan is useless in this instance and u can see the crowd slowly shifting further and further away from the living room to avoid the sun...its quite funny when i think back...

The lamp is supposed to be tall, so that it overhangs and people will not knock into it when walking under it. Think of it as movable ceiling lights. :P

at the moment, i am using standing fan. its a waste of space but its good if you want the fan to blow at you directly. cooler than ceiling fans cos ceiling fans its general cooling, not direct.

I would prefer ceiling fans though. :)

I also think standing fans are cooler.

Maybe because my ceiling fan is not KDK or mounted directly above the sofa area. Can't really feel the wind. But when it's on, can definitely feel the air circulating...

i also suppot for ceiling fans! have installed for living room and 3 bedrooms. the cooling effect is really nice, and it is cost saving to our electrical bills! i didnt like ceiling idea until i visited my brother's place. realised it is so useful and save space for your flooring.

but i think probably tall people will have a bit of phobia i guess. haha. i'm standing at 1.76m. my ceiling for whole house is 2.6m. when i reach up my hand still cannot touch the fan blades unless i tee toes. heng.. :D

Another reason why I'm not into ceiling fans, because I'm intending to install projector (either ceiling-mounted or back wall-mounted), the ceiling fan will definitely be in the way, somehow.

And I don't want to sleep with the fan spinning above me. LOL

I got couple friends; the wife grew up with ceiling fans and insisted for ceiling fans to be installed (2 for living room, 1 each for the bedroom), but the husband feels "unsafe" sleeping under the ceiling fan at night, esp when it's at high speed. :P

Actually I was thinking of doing room divider for my living room so that I can install aircon, BUT

1. WTB thinks it's a waste of money, since most of the time, we'll be in the MBR; and if got aircon in living room, tendency to use it frivolously is high.

2. Living rm a bit big; need higher BTU fan - may exceed total BTU allowable, plus a lot of "lobang" (ie. Void areas at the stair case); hard to confine.

3. If need aircon for living rm = a system-4 or system 3+1 and room partition = high costs.

4. Old resale unit cannot support the higher powered AC unit like system-4.

Conclusion: no aircon for living rm.

Likely to consider portable aircon or air coolers.

BUT some units require water intake; not too sure if the mist that get blown out will cost wood furniture to go mouldy. :P

i chose KDK for all my 4 ceiling fans. it's a old and reliable brands i guess. from colleagues and relatives who have been using those older models, many concur that kdk fans are lasting as compared to others. hopefully mine can see out their lifespans for at least 5 years.

for kdk fan, u can get them from EverJoint @ AMK. they sell the cheapest as far as i have reckeed all over the island. small 3 blades one for $159. 4 blades one (living room) for $350.

LOL... my gf *s-w-e-a-r* by KDK fans for being long-lasting too. :P

Seems like a lot of ceiling fans supporters here...

yeap i think ceiling fan combi with standing fan (when necessary) is good enough.

portable aircon is a sham really. aircon itself looks good, but the pipe to draw in air has to be connected to the outside - meaning u have to cut a hole in the window. Hence its not portable at all. :(

wonder who gave it the portable name? just becos they got wheels...?

Ya! I saw those at Giants too... I saw the outlet pipe too... a bit zzz... likely to get air coolers (but also a bit zzz, coz need to top up water) and I also scared the mist will cause furniture to go mouldy.

better solution is to plan really well ahead by choosing a unit carefully with minimal afternoon sun. Went to a birthday party once, house owner have afternoon sun in living room. Ceiling fan is useless in this instance and u can see the crowd slowly shifting further and further away from the living room to avoid the sun...its quite funny when i think back...

Yeah! think choosing a unit with minimal afternoon sun is impt to overall "cooling" solution and potentially energy and cost savings.

My new unit is pretty much N-S... think more NW-SE though...

Can't remember whether it's breezy or not, but I think if the windows of the dining area is open and the balcony door is open, should be quite breezy...

Mum commented that it was a little dark though :(

oh well, already bought... think after I get the keys next Mon, will go up for a better assessment or situation.

Ya! I saw those at Giants too... I saw the outlet pipe too... a bit zzz... likely to get air coolers (but also a bit zzz, coz need to top up water) and I also scared the mist will cause furniture to go mouldy.

Yeah! think choosing a unit with minimal afternoon sun is impt to overall "cooling" solution and potentially energy and cost savings.

My new unit is pretty much N-S... think more NW-SE though...

Can't remember whether it's breezy or not, but I think if the windows of the dining area is open and the balcony door is open, should be quite breezy...

Mum commented that it was a little dark though :(

oh well, already bought... think after I get the keys next Mon, will go up for a better assessment or situation.

i used before those that can put in water or ice to make it cooler. doesn't work well..... after a while, not cold anymore. and yes, things get moldy.... :(

i don't know exactly where is your flat but if there is balcony, should be quite ok. :):D

Quick Updates!

1. Spy cam!

Managed to read from reglxt's t-blog that she has installed an indoor wireless ip cam.

I've been thinking of installing a wireless ip cam at my new place too, so that I can view thru my iPhone, or laptop, if there's someone at the door, without having to go downstairs, if i'm at the MBR upstairs. The motion detection feature would be a plus too to find out who pop by my place in the day, when I'm not ard.

I'll prob get an outdoor unit, since I'll be installing in the recess area (which is likely to be unsheltered and may be subjected to rain, during bad weather).

Would be a plus, if the unit has infrared, so that it can function at low lighting conditions too. :)

My preferred location is at the red spot, shown below:

spycam%20position.jpg

2. $35K Quotation?? Believe it or not??

Dun believe?

See attached quotation from H** L*. (sensitive info cropped)

hwa_li_quotation.jpg

Btw, the requirements was anyhow ham-tam by my mum.

Her strategy was to ask for the sky at impossible budget ($35K).

I didn't really look thru the whole quotation, but I feel some things are missing...

Seriously, this looks very fishy. I'm not sure if I'm paranoid, but quotations, that are way below the norm, are signs of potential problems (either low quality material, poor workmanship, or hidden costs).

And my Arco Lamp is in SG already. I'll be collecting it this Sat. And it's cheaper than I've initially expected. :)

The price is so so, some things expensive, some cheaper, but that happens for almost all quotes.

Things that you might wanna clarify... based on the stuff I had been through. heh.

1) Wash area toilet, do u want basin/tap?

2) Any shower screen required for your 2 bathrooms? Tempered glass usually.

3) May need additional plumber charges to do the WC piping in wash area if not already done

4) Ask for price cap of the tiles they are quoting u. Homogeneous? Ceramic? Size of tile? etc.

5) Presume that haulage and stuff are included in hacking??

6) Only quoted 1 bifold door. For toilet? bathroom? all 3 toilets?

7) Do you intend to do any boxing up of pipes or recess walls?

8) Any false ceilings or L-box?

9) Presume you are not changing bedroom doors

10) Balcony glass doors?

11) Any door for kitchen? Esp if u cook.

12) Whole house window, casement? sliding? powder coated? NA? colour tinted? All have different cost. Does it include the louvre windows at all your toilets? Or your entrance foyer (not sure if u have, but most EMs will have)

13) Electrical works? For EM can be 2k-3k, depending on your requirements.

14) Do you need to plaster smooth your walls? Some old EMs can have really rough and uneven walls.

15) I remembered that u wanted to change your toilet entrance, that would need a quote to hack, make good, and fabricate new wall.

16) Changing your rubbish chute?

17) Assume they do floor skirting for your tiles.. better to confirm. Some quote as separate item.

18) Confirm with them that prices include GST!

Don't worry too much about the initial low quote. Mine was $29k initially. After I asked some questions, it became $42k. lol. The final quote may not even be final until midway through your reno as you may change your mind about some things or discover that some things can't be done that way.

Edited by Soichiro

Was talking with my WTB over the weekend, and we both agreed that we'll leave the evaluation/review of the IDs/contractors we've met (Part 2) to some other time; likely after we have confirmed our ID...

So for now... I'll go on to the next topic, which is closely related...

I've been complaining abt high renovation costs... but high cost is subjective.... $50K for a new BTO 4-rm flat... that sounds steep.... $50K for a 25 yr old resale EM unit (requiring major rehaul)... that sounds reasonable...

The cost is relative... and it's only meaningful when viewed in context of the work to be done...

So the next topic is...

Quotation, quotation, quotation...... (Part 1)

This quotation of the work to be done is provided by JGH, the first renovator I've met after I've gotten my floor plan. Personally, WTB and I like the way he goes thru systemically over each area and noting down the items to be done. As it was based on our first meet-up, in which our requirements were still a little fuzzy, the items might not be very updated, but nevertheless, it felt the most complete, in my opinion.

Hacking works ($3,970)

1 To dismantle existing kitchen cabinet top & bottom

2 To dismantle 2 x toilet bowls & 2 x wash basins at upper floor 2 toilets

3 To dismantle existing glass sliding door at balcony

4 To dismantle existing railing at staircase area

5 To dismantle 1 set of wardrobe at upper floor bedroom 2

6 To hack off existing sink & stove support at kitchen

7 To hack off existing wall tiles at kitchen & 3 toilets { 1055 sq ft }.

8 To hack off existing floor tiles at living,dining,balcony,utility room,kitchen & 3 toilets { 955 sq ft }.

9 Supply sand for wall tiles & floor tiles use at living,dining,balcony,kitchen & 3 toilets.

10 Loading & unloading + haulage fee.

Wets works / L box / False ceiling / False wall works ($15,605)

11 Supply & lay ceramic wall tiles to ceiling hts excludeborder & decor at kitchen & 3 toilets { 1060 sq ft / Tiles price use $ 2.20 to $ 2.40 per sq ft }.

12 Supply & lat 60x60 gloss finish homogenous floor tiles with cut skirting at living,dining, balcony & main foyer & utility room { 700 sq ft / tiles price use $2.80 per sq ft }.

13 Supply & lay 30x30 cm non slip homogenous floor tiles at kitchen { tiles use $ 2.20 }.

14 Supply & lay 30x30 cm non slip homogenous floor tiles at 3 toilets { tiles use $ 2.20 }.

15 Supply & lay water proofing for balcony,kitchen & 3 toilets floor.

16 Supply labour to touch up cement after glass sliding dismantle at balcony.

17 To construct 50mm hts cabinet,washing machine base only.

18 To construct 50mm hts shower kerb at 2 toilets..

19 Supply & construct platform at wash area { L1000 x W1000 x H120 to 150 }.

20 Supply & construct W12"x H6"L box at living & dining room { 97 ft run }.

21 Supply & construct false ceiling at main foyer,living & living passage area { 125 sq ft }.

22 Supply & construct false wall L shape with gypsum board at staircase below { L2500 x H1100 x T75 }.

23 Replacement 1 no. of S/steel debris chute with ladge.

Railing / Varnish parquet flooring works ($4,105)

24 Supply & install wrought iron railing with wooden handrail at staircase area { 29'5 ft run }.

25 Supply labour to re-varnish parquet staircase.

26 Supply labour to re-varnish parquet flooring at upper floor corridor & 3 bedrooms.

Plumbing / Painting works ($4,495)

27 Replacement of cold supply S/steel water piping for kitchen,& 3 toilets.

28 Supply & run hot S/steel water piping for upper floor 2 toilets.

29 Supply & run pvc outlet piping for sink,washing machine & wash basins use.

30 Supply & connection big sewage piping at wash area { without apply MOE }.

31 Supply labour to install 1 nos of store heater at master toilet {Heater provide by owner}.

32 Supply labour to install 1 nos of basin with cabinet at master toilet { Basin with cabinet provide by owner }.

33 Supply labour to install 2 nos standard wash basin at WC 1 & wash area.{ Basin & tap provide by owner }.

34 Supply labour to install Supply labour install 3 nos of toilets bowl at 3 toilets. { Bowl provide by owner }.

35 Supply labour to install accessories for 3 toilets { Accessories by owner }.

36 Supply labour to wash whole unit flooring c/w chemical wash.

37 Whole unit painting wall & ceiling + door & frame & piping 2 coating c/w 1 to 7 colour] choose { ICI or NIPPON Emulsion paint }.

38 Supply & paint sealer for kitchen & 3 toilets ceiling only.

Windows / Grilles / Shower screen / Bi-fold door / Timber door works ($11,470)

39 Replacement of sliding windows with tinted glass & bronze or silver colour frame at dining,balcony & upper floor 3 bedrooms { 205 sq ft }.

40 Supply & install 3 way track sliding windows with tinted glass & bronze or silver colour kitchen { 24 sq ft }.

41 Supply & install casement windows with tinted glass & bronze or silver colour frame at utility room { 8 sq ft }.

42 Replacement 2 sets of adjustment louver windows with wire mesh glass at upper floor 2 toilets.

43 Supply & install normal design windows grilles at balcony,dining,kitchen,utility room & upper floor 3 bedrooms { 235 sq ft }.

44 Supply & install 1 pcs swing panel & 2 pcs fix panel 10mm clear tempered glass shower screen L shape with S/steel bar at master toilet { L1200 x W900 x H1800 }.

45 Supply & install 1 pcs of swing door with wall to glass 10mm clear tempered glass shower screen at common { W900 x H1800 }.

46 Supply & install 3 nos of 3' x 7' top & bottom track alum & acrylic bi-fold door at 3 toilets entrance { Top track use rollers }.

47 Supply & install 1 nos of nyatoh ply door & frame at staircase new store room area { W850 x H1000 to 1100 }.

48 Supply & install 7 ft hts solid wooden door with full clear glass bi-fold door at balcony { L4800 x H2100 = 112 sq ft }.

Carpentry works ($8,555)

49 Supply & install kitchen cabinet top & bottom with laminated finish & door a.b.s trimming inclusive aewage pipe & 1 full hts cabinet area at sink & hobs area {26 ft run}.

50 Supply & install kitchen bottom with laminated finish & door a.b.s.trimming to cover debris chute area { 3' 6 run }.

51 Supply & install solid surface worktop brand L.G. acrylic finish at sink,hobs,debris chute area { 13' 5 run / per ft run $110 }.

52 Supply & install full hts sliding door wardrobe with laminated finish & door a.b.s. trimming at master bedroom { L2700 x H2550 x D600 }.

53 Supply & install full hts sliding door wardrobe with laminated finish & door a.b.s. trimming at bedroom 2 { L2300 x H2550 x D600 }.

54 Supply & install study table or dressing table with laminated finish & door a.b.s. trimming at master bedroom { L1800 x H820 x W550 }.

Electrical & Rewiring work { All Casing & Standard socket Inclusive } ($3370)

55 1 nos of 16 to 18 way E.L.C.B.

56 Submission PUB inspection.

57 To change main wire at acces area to living room.

58 Supply & install 15 nos of W4" round design PLC light & lighting point at living & dining.

59 12 nos of lighting point.

60 Supply labour to install 12 nos of ceiling light { Light by owner }.

61 12 nos of 13A x2 power socket.

62 3 nos of 13A x1 power socket.

63 1 nos of 15mp air-con point & 1 nos of heater point.

64 2 nos of fan point only.

65 3 nos of SVC point.

66 2 nos of tel: point.

67 Earth cable wire at living room to kitchen.

FOC

68 Supply & install 1 x 4' x 7' wrought iron main gate

Total Amount: $51,570.00 (There's a remark - NO GST; I wonder if it means they don't charge GST, or the amount stated is without GST, which will be added later.)

Items to be removed from quotation:

26 Supply & install wrought iron railing with wooden handrail at staircase area { 29'5 ft run }. ($2,655) - Likely to retain and paint wrought iron railing matte black and replace wooden handrail; maybe $1,600

46 Supply & install 3 nos of 3' x 7' top & bottom track alum & acrylic bi-fold door at 3 toilets entrance { Top track use rollers }. ($780) - Likely to have bi-fold door for level 1 toilet; but full swing glass doors for level 2 toilets; maybe $260

48 Supply & install 7 ft hts solid wooden door with full clear glass bi-fold door at balcony { L4800 x H2100 = 112 sq ft }. ($4,030) - Likely to do WPC sliding doors instead; maybe half price

50 Supply & install kitchen bottom with laminated finish & door a.b.s.trimming to cover debris chute area { 3' 6 run }. ($340) - Don't intend to install cabinet to hide debris chute

54 Supply & install study table or dressing table with laminated finish & door a.b.s. trimming at master bedroom { L1800 x H820 x W550 }. ($630) - Intend to get off-the-shelf from V-Hive or Ikea (unless cheaper to fabricate)

Savings: ~$4575

Items to be added to quotation:

1. Supply and install 2 x full swing glass doors for level 2 toilets (2 x $600 = $1,200?)

2. Supply and install vanity top & cabinet for level 2 toilets ($???)

3. Hack and rebuild wash area entrance ($???)

4. Hack kitchen entrance ($???)

5. Supply and install kitchen island (breakfast counter) with solid surface ($???)

Optional items (if i'm feeling rich... LOL):

1. Supply & install Chengal outdoor wood decking for balcony (100sqft)

2. Supply & install 3 x KDK bathroom ventilation fans at 3 toilets

3. Supply & lay slate wall tiles for balcony

4. Supply & construct W12"x H6"L box at MBR

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

electrical works is likely to increase too, due to more lighting and power points... and I'm also intending to lay cat6 lan cables... :P

plus minus a bit... I'm expecting my final renovation cost to be ard $55K. and i'm being very optimistic here. :P

Is my budget realistic? :unsure: