Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
csingeu

Our Lil Paradise

dont need to do until like montage lidat

we all too excited liao ..cant wait too long

okie i go slp liao.. my dark eye circles getting from bad to worse lol

goodnight every one :P

ya, go sleep lah. tmr still got to work... for most of you. hehehehe....

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

The "Before" Pics! (Part 1)

Yesterday (as in 31 Jan 2011), I have officially become the owner of my resale EM unit @ lakeside. After we got our keys during the 2nd appt @ HDB Hub, we took a cab back to Jurong to snap some pics of our unit (yes... finally ours... :))

Quick Intro of the neighbourhood

1. Nearest MRT - Lakeside MRT - Approx 400-600m (5-10min)

lakeside%20mrt.jpg

Lakeside is one of the most eastern part of Jurong West; it's almost at the fringe of Jurong East. Many times, when I tell people I live in Jurong West, they would naturally assume that it is very far and ulu and in fact, I'm guessing they are thinking I'm staying nearer to Jurong Point area and beyond.

Lakeside MRT station is the nearest MRT station from my new place.

2. Nearest Primary School - Shuqun Primary School- approx 200-400m (<5min)

shuqun%20pri%20sch.jpg

My alma mater. Spent 6 of my formative years here. Pretty much a deviant student there. Not very gd with studies and don't do homework, spend most of my time at the corridor (coz i didn't do my homework, or "disturbing" other classmates) - prob sounds like a lot of other primary sch kids... :P

Notice the block of EMs nearer the foreground? That's not my block. Mine's the one next to it, at the background. LOL...

The other more famous primary school ard my area would be Rulang Primary School, which is just across the street.

3. Nearest Children's Playground - Approx 50m (<3min)

kids%20playground%20800.jpg

Just behind the primary school and below my block.

I used to hang out at this playground after school, with my classmates then.

Of coz it didn't look like this last time; I remembered it being inside a sand box, and a structure that's almost a floor high, and i used to climb up and jump down from it. Thinking back, I've probably caused some indirect injury to my back and knees, with all those jumping ard... :(

4. Nearest Neighbourhood Park - approx 200m (<5min)

neighbourhood%20park%202.JPG

I used to go jogging with my dad when I was younger (that's prob like 15-18 yrs ago) and this park was the end-point for our jogs, where we would exercise at the fitness stations.

See the 2 blocks of EMs there? These 2 blocks plus the other 2 blocks make up the cluster of 4 blocks of EMs for this area.

These 2 blocks have the "advantage" of the balcony looking down to the neighbourhood parks. Some people think that it's a better view (with the greenery), but some think that it's bad (due to the noise from the street soccer court at the park)

Edited by csingeu

The "Before" Pics! (Part 2)

Quick Intro of the neighbourhood - Market Places

1. 498 Market - Approx 400-600m (5-10min)

498.jpg

The bustling market place is across the grass field (which is opposite the neighbourhood park).

Lots of gd good and just like your typical busy HDB shops; there's a small NTUC there too. :)

I used to watch my friends play soccer at the grass field.

Why didn't I join in? Coz I don't like soccer. :P

2. 502 Market - Approx 400-600m (5-10min)

502.jpg

This is the area I'm more familiar with since young. Pasar Malams and all sorts of street-side stalls (esp during CNY) almost all year round. Some says it's like little Chinatown.

I particularly enjoy the porridge with chicken + fried doughstick at the food centre, with my WTB, almost every Sun lunch. :P

The "Before" Pics! (Part 3)

And yes... finally to the important stuffs now... :P

taken with my lousy iPhone 3GS and lack of proper framing or any photography skills... going thru the pics now... I think I've missed out some angles. Some shots are either over- or under- exposed too. :(

entrance.jpg

utility.jpg

dining.jpg

kitchen.jpg

wash%20area.jpg

Ok! It's freaking 2.02am already. I'm tired. Will continue with the rest of the series tomorrow. :P

Edited by csingeu

The "Before" Pics! (Part 5)

bedroom%202.jpg

bedroom%203.jpg

common%20bathroom.jpg

That's all for the "Before" series!

As you can see, for some areas, it's lacking pics from suitable angles. oh well... it's tiring to resize the images and arrange them. bleahz...

Interesting blog... Easy to read and see pic. Your flat really a lot to do leh... No wonder so high reno costs.

Thanks thanks... spent like 2 nights doing the "pictorials"... i hope it's easy to understand and link the visuals with the floor plan.

Yes... My resale unit is really quite "chui" condition... some might think paying $27K COV is too much for such "jia-lat" (aka lousy) condition... but for me, it's an acceptable price to pay la. for the proximity to parents' place and near MRT and amenities. And yes, almost everything has to go... and re-do, hence the high renov cost. Quite expected for a unit which is 26 yrs old and without much renovation. If it was already renovated and move-in condition, the COV would have been a lot more than just $27K, i guess. I could be wrong. oh well...

Some friends & contractors advised me to minimize the works (such as retaining the existing doors, window grilles, tiles, if they are acceptable), to cut cost. But you see it for yourself, from the pics, those works cannot be avoided.

And precisely, it's in such lousy condition, I won't feel any pinch hacking the whole place up... and gives me more freedom to implement my own design. (not much design though, coz seriously limited by budget constraints).

I'm looking forward to the makeover. BUT first, I NEED TO GET A RENOVATOR!!! and hopefully at affordable price and gd workmanship (like asking for the moon hor? :P)

Thanks thanks... spent like 2 nights doing the "pictorials"... i hope it's easy to understand and link the visuals with the floor plan.

Yes... My resale unit is really quite "chui" condition... some might think paying $27K COV is too much for such "jia-lat" (aka lousy) condition... but for me, it's an acceptable price to pay la. for the proximity to parents' place and near MRT and amenities. And yes, almost everything has to go... and re-do, hence the high renov cost. Quite expected for a unit which is 26 yrs old and without much renovation. If it was already renovated and move-in condition, the COV would have been a lot more than just $27K, i guess. I could be wrong. oh well...

Some friends & contractors advised me to minimize the works (such as retaining the existing doors, window grilles, tiles, if they are acceptable), to cut cost. But you see it for yourself, from the pics, those works cannot be avoided.

And precisely, it's in such lousy condition, I won't feel any pinch hacking the whole place up... and gives me more freedom to implement my own design. (not much design though, coz seriously limited by budget constraints).

I'm looking forward to the makeover. BUT first, I NEED TO GET A RENOVATOR!!! and hopefully at affordable price and gd workmanship (like asking for the moon hor? :P)

Yes yes... very easy to read and understand.... so you are the 2nd owner?

for bigger flats, usually the COV is less as the valuation already quite high... that is what my agent told me.... and the highest COV is usually for 4 room flat as that is the most popular. when there are competition so higher the COV.

i don't think 27k is very high.... we have to see the market now.... vnot easy to get low COV if near to MRT.

i thought you have more or less confirm the renovator?? some of the doors and windows if can keep, then keep it.. really can save a lot. i am saving some doors and windows too.. initially i thought its in bad shape but if clean it, i can see that it can be nice too..... touch it and feel quality of it... those by hdb during that time can be of very good quality too.

Congrats on getting your keys!

Looks like major rehaul is required.

You know what, forget about fancy designs for now... focus on getting the basic systems for the functional areas right . Flooring, electrical, pipes etc. Don't even do built-in carpentry unless absolutely necessary for odd corners, just get everything from IKEA first. Once you've figured out your lifestyle in the house, you can start making it beautiful.

Congrats on getting your house liao! ^^

Thanks!! Excited!! but have to wait til after CNY, and then get serious abt confirming renovator, before renovation can start. think move-in date will be ard May-June ba. :(

yaaay pictures! ahahaha i love it when you do the layout like that - easier to visualize where the pics go. good job!

Thanks thanks! Coz I was reading the t-blogs of other homemakers before i started mine. I realized that sometimes, there are a lot of pics, but a bit hard to link the visuals to the floorplan. I hope I've made it easier for my "readers" to understand how the place is like. :)

Yes yes... very easy to read and understand.... so you are the 2nd owner?

for bigger flats, usually the COV is less as the valuation already quite high... that is what my agent told me.... and the highest COV is usually for 4 room flat as that is the most popular. when there are competition so higher the COV.

i don't think 27k is very high.... we have to see the market now.... vnot easy to get low COV if near to MRT.

i thought you have more or less confirm the renovator?? some of the doors and windows if can keep, then keep it.. really can save a lot. i am saving some doors and windows too.. initially i thought its in bad shape but if clean it, i can see that it can be nice too..... touch it and feel quality of it... those by hdb during that time can be of very good quality too.

Yes. I'm the 2nd owner. Seller's moving to City View (DBSS). :P

I think, maybe before 2009 or so, the market for EMs like not very gd. some property agents also tell me that EMs not highly sought after, as mentioned by you, the valuation price is higher and most people prefer 4-rm (also easier to sell next time => higher resale value).

BUT HDB not building anymore EMs (though might still build more loft units), i thought it's actually a "rare" unit la. In fact, a lot of owners ard that area not selling, if not the asking COV is like $70K-80K kind.

AND I believe there will be EM lovers, and EMs belong to a "niche" market, for people, like me, who prefers double-storey unit, but can't afford a private property (at least for now... :P). So there will be a resale market for it (or at least, I choose to be think so; but not like i'm going to sell anytime soon...)

I was initially thinking of getting 5-rm too, but considering those near to MRTs and those 5-rm flats opposite Lakeside MRT then, were also valuated ard $400K-450K, and the asking COV was also from $50K-$80K. (i'm referring to the time I was looking at - early-mid 2010s). Since prices also abt the same (so $$$), but floor area difference by abt 30sqm, I chose EM lor. (anyway, I like double-storey living also la... )

No. Still trying to confirm a renovator (but starting to really feel finding a gd renovator and a smooth renovation journey is almost like a heng-suay affair)...

Windows - I hate the windows design, plus it's bolted to the wall; some are fixed (aka unmovable), plus 26+ yrs liao; think condition CMI la. :P

Doors - I think they are those hollow doors. Even my current place (also ard 25 yrs old), also using slightly better solid naytoh doors. since I intending to "upgrade" to more "solid" door, might as well change the doors and maybe get veneer doors or wat. and door frames likely have to go too.

Paraqet flooring - it's the glossy type. I hope can varnish and stain to matt kind.

Congrats on getting your keys!

Looks like major rehaul is required.

You know what, forget about fancy designs for now... focus on getting the basic systems for the functional areas right . Flooring, electrical, pipes etc. Don't even do built-in carpentry unless absolutely necessary for odd corners, just get everything from IKEA first. Once you've figured out your lifestyle in the house, you can start making it beautiful.

YES... major rehaul ( = major money "bleed")... LOL...

Not much fancy design (no feature wall, etc, though I'm tempted to do up the balcony a bit. :P).

Will do cove lighting and stuff; basically all the structural enhancements and changes lor.

as for built-in stuff, think only kitchen cabinets and MBR and Bedroom 2's built wardrobe.

I already have some previous entries on the IKEA furniture I'm going to get... LOL!

going to cost me <$3-4K for L-shape sofa set, coffee table, tv bench, dining table + 6 chairs, swivel armchair, book shelves.

But last choice la... if possible, would like to check out Hommage or S&C. :P

initially, i thought my staircase hand-rails were those thin wooden piece kind. then realised it's actually the original HDB kind. I must have mistaken it for another unit I've viewed.

*faint* likely will replace the whole staircase, but to what? steel + wood? glass + wood? glass + steel? glass + steel + wood? LOL...

going to be d-a-m-n $$$... maybe ard $4+K to change staircase. :(

You posted on IKEA furniture before? I must have missed it. Your reno's not started and your t-blog already 6 pages hahaha.

Built-in kitchen and wardrobe just get from IKEA also loh, because the materials used by the local contractors really CMI... I'm not kidding.

Your staircase... should box up the area under to use as storage. And if you want it to be nice, definitely go for glass! Get the laminated type though. Actually i don't think the railings are ugly loh. Then again I only have a tiny picture for reference. To save money I'll paint the railings... maybe black or grey.

Spend the money on the messy stuff like the walls, toilets, kitchen, and you probably want to add more electrical sockets.

Most importantly get a responsible contractor... don't be like me. Contractor still hasn't given me the keys back.

How much do you expect the total damage to be?

My unit is 1506 sqf - pte. 4 bedroom + 3 toilets, 15 years old. Jialat condition imo. Approx damage w/o electrical, sanitary wares, a/c grilles etc is abt 75K. Scope of work roughly:

- Re-do all flooring in living, dining, family, kitchen, utiliy and yard area (homogenous tiles)

- Complete re-do of all 3 toilets (floor + wall tiles + tempered shower screens,vanity and mirrors x 3 toilets)

- Bedrooms all built-in wardrobes x 4 rooms....dresser and TV console. Regrind and varnish existing parquet in all bedrooms

- Kitchen, give reno partner free playto do whatever

-small kuching kurap balcony - chengal wood decking

- Ceiling works in hall, MBR, kitche, passageway and corridor

- Feature wall / console in living

- Shoe cabinet of somesort

- Mirror feature wall at dining

- All hacking and removal of existing fixtures and carpentry

- Change all bedroom doors to solid doors

- Glass doors for toilets, kitchen etc

- Grilles

Wah, dunno if they can complete in 8-weeks or not?