living%20room%204.jpg

referring to the kitchen breakfast counter... and the half-height wall

and these:

kitchen%207.jpg

kitchen%209.jpg

kitchen%208.jpg

Wow....this look familiar :D

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
but because, after i seeked Linda (mae29) for some FS advice.

She highlighted some issues, with the placement of my stove.

Some basic FS guidelines for placement of stove:

1. Stove should not face toilet entrance

2. Stove should not face kitchen entrance

3. Stove should not be under toilet or waste pipes

4. Stove should not face sink

etc...

so i went back to change my kitchen layout from:

preferred%20floorplan%201.jpg

to this:

preferred%20floorplan%204.jpg

in the previous layout, the stove was underneath the level 2 toilet and sort of in-line with the kitchen entrance. so not very gd la.

the new layout, i've shifted the stove to be position against the other wall, so it's clear of the entrance and also the toilet above.

my dad commented that the utility room near the entrance was "dark" (very "yin")... like no natural lighting and ventilation. and also the "foyer" area seems cramped. like banging into a wall, when you open the main door.

I think Linda agreed too.

initially, i thought the wall was gd... it offers some privacy... plus, i can put a pretty painting there. but now that they mention, it does look cramped (esp after viewing some of my neighbours' units. there was breeze along the corridor, but the wind seldom gets into the house (due to wind tunnel effect -> the layout of the blocks ard mine), and when wind does get it, it's usually thru the main door, but seldom gets to the living room (coz blocked by the wall)...

HENCE, i decided to hack the wall into half-height. so that it can provide better ventilation & natural lighting from the main entrance, dining rm, to the kitchen area, and also from the kitchen area to the foyer area. hopefully can create the 明堂 (bright hall) effect.

I've also changed the layout of the MBR, so that i can sleep facing my "more favourable" side. anyway, this is the more logical layout (which my wife also prefers, so that she can decorate the piece of wall where the headboard will be resting). I think it's for the better too, so that I won't enter my MBR and get blocked by my study table.

Changing your bed position do make the bedroom more spacious that the previous layout.

Weekend is where the last minute comes in. LOL. Usually go out with wife then when we settle some stuff then will drop by the house for a quick check. We only see our house once a week la.. unless there are things that I really need to attend to.

Actually hor...

- staircase: i didn't do anything, just going to sand/varnish the wooden banister, repaint the iron

- no storage heater, all instant. u can see the pics of the toilets in what i sent u

- kitchen layout is a U shape, can see in the floorplan design

- storeroom will have L-shape shelves, just buy from shop or ikea. but havent buy yet!

- balcony will leave it empty, we like the space. maybe when got mood then bring chair and small table to relax and have wine. lol

The shops that I ordered stuff from screwed up more. Sometimes they found they don't have the particular model or colour in stock.. then anyhow replace it without telling me. I only found out after they were installed... each time very pek chek!

I had one light... they say cannot find it based on invoice.. then anyhow change to a random one. I had to go down again to point out the model. Contractor helped me dismantle, exchange and reinstall.. then I realize they got the wrong bulbs also -.-""

Kitchen hood.. also.. they found that they can't get the colour that I ordered.. so just suka suka deliver a different colour without telling me. I also found out only after installation..! So now it's mismatched with the cabinets.. might change again.

So best if u can be there whenever they install lights, kitchen, sink, toilet bowl, etc. Check every single piece delivered! Coz your contractor/ID did not choose the items with u... they can't verify if it is exactly the one u ordered.

seems like other than monitoring the renovation works (and doing own QC inspection)... need to worry abt the small item purchases and delivery... sigh. your headache ending soon; mine coming soon... LOL...

Would you be doing alot of cooking? The stove is just beside where your hacked half wall is. If you cook a lot, might need to cover it somehow with glass (but then no wind bonus) so the other areas won't get too oily.

Yes, a drawing that clearly shows the size/location of each door/drawer with dimensions is necessary to avoid misunderstandings. Well, even with 3D drawings, the carpenter can screw up. hehe. Mine gave 3D drawings and still installed it differently initially, but at least they would change it because it is different.

Actually, we both don't cook now. BUT we would see ourselves cooking in the future. How often? given that we're the lazy sort and both working, think most of the time, should be eating at parents' place (5 min walk away), or downstairs (my most preferred hassle-free option).

cooking will be reserved for weekends, when we are less tired and more "experimental" or entertaining friends (or rather trying out stuffs with willing guinea pigs)... LOL...

yah... now i'm a little clueless abt cabinet design also... coz nv do built-in b4... so far... my furniture all off-the-shelf kind... hmmm...

U will learn from the headaches. Don't worry too much la. haha. Latest headache I got... wrong door design installed. Iron gate installed blocks the eye hole -- peep at the padlock lor. Thats despite reminding the guy who did site survey to measure the eye hole position.. bleh. Kitchen design, drawer become swing door.. etc etc. Things for u to take note now that it's your turn. haha.. I'm graduating soon!

hahaha yea we just met downstairs ;) actually i wanna ask if you wanna come up, but quite late liao, should be time for you to go home :P

this Sat the Ikea folks are coming to install stuff, you two can help me clean up hahahahahaha :lol:

complete quotation is good. my fren showed me 2 quotations of similiar price for his reno, he thought ID A is more ex than ID B, but i pointed out all the items that ID B is missing, only then he realised ID A is a much better deal~

have you booked wedding dinner package? that is the RDS (rate determinating step) :P

Will have chance to visit you one, since so near only... but maybe with others la... i pai seh to go alone...

eh... this sat, i'm having marriage prep course (part 2)... LOL...

yeah, we lazy to talk to more ppl le... since last Nov til now... almost 3 months liao... wife is sian le... and i don't think it can go any lower. even my uncle cannot quote me a vastly discounted price... now only think is to worry abt design and workmanship...

haven't booked wedding dinner package yet... but going down to Novotel this Sat morning to meet the coordinator and check out the ballroom...

look-see a few liao... likely to decide soon... short-listed ones included:

1. Amara Hotel

- near Tanjong Pagar MRT; and meaningful for us... coz can say that's one of the places we got to know each other better as friends....

2. Swiss Merchant Court

- near Clarke Quay MRT; my company usually has their corporate planning seminars there; until recently... think the ballroom quite ok.

3. Novotel

- got colleagues say not bad...

4. Grand Coptherne Waterfront

for me, how to decide the storage compartment is from actual usage experience. anything i complain about in my previous home, i will want it in my new home~ :P

it's okie la... there are many pple here using contractors who don't have 3D (myself and supersimon included). All turn out to be okie mah~ i don't find it risky at all, though it would be good if you are someone that is good in visualising things without any help~ i did some Google Sketchup myself... Google Sketchup is good... very useful! free and user friendly also :)

if uncle gives you 3D perspective, you can photocopy/scan and colour it yourself... hahaha :lol:

yah... was discussing with my wife last night... we like almost going to sign contract liao... but haven't even see any perspective or 3d...

think we really price-focused... really neglected the design part... i hope it will not be our greatest regret... :(

Hehe... I will leave that to csingeu to help you. This sat I will be away... Next weekend lah. :)

eh... this sat, as mentioned, i'm fully "booked" too... :P

hey bro, i think your new layout has improved a lot from the previous one! :good:

Kitchen: in the previous layout, i found the place where the sinks come out look really weird, now this has been solved.

That half-height wall: at first i also thought that wall will be good. now that you mentioned it, i think what mae and your dad advised is very true.

hacking a wall sometimes does make drastic improvement to the entire house. i also hacked the wall of the common room. results: the house has become much brighter and VERY windy (sometimes, too windy :P). making that wall half height makes the kitchen kinda "open concept"... nice! :wub:

MBR: this new layout is better. the old layout will make the room look crowded and appear smaller.

hmmmm i guess is still okie cos there is still a full height wall blocking right in front of the stove. and i guess the wind will most likely come in from the half height wall side, so wind will be blowing the "oil" towards inside of the kitchen.

maybe it will help to shift the stove *slightly* more inside towards the corner and install a good hood~ :)

Too bad, my budget limited, and not so adventrous. if not. might really reconsider hacking utility room, and build a big kitchen with kitchen island (which wife thinks it's impractical)... partition the living room with room divider for sound-proofing when i play my rock band set with projector screen + HTS and install aircon for living room too!!

okok... back to reality... think the new changes are for the better.. (and easier on pockets)...

Kitchen: I actually liked the old sink position (in my previous layout)... but it does cramped up the walking space in the kitchen.

I also think the half-height wall will drastically improve the ventilation and lighting conditions near the entrance and inside the kitchen...

I hope the hood will be powerful enough to suck in the oil and stuff...

MBR: new layout (which is actually the very very original layout, which was not in my design) is inspired by my recent trip to BKK, the hotel rm we stayed in have similar layout... which i think it's only practical to have a slightly large open area in the MBR... in case... need to do some stuff, like packing for trips, or even placing a toddler cradle or wat, next time...

cool....for the half height wall...i think if it's me, i will not leave it blank..most prob will install glass there..can see through and not compromise on the lighting and stop the fumes from entering the living area...

been to showflat in austville..they had something like tat..so quite like the idea.

If i don't need the wind bonus, i would have done similarly... :)

hmmmm but one of the reasons to hack the wall is to let the wind comes in, rite? so if put glass.... defeat the purpose liao~ :unsure:

yes... i hope it will really improve the wind coming in... LOL...

Sliding glass window! But dunno look nice or not...

sliding glass window!! LOL... you think like my dad lor!

but his idea more "hiong"... he wants me to hack the entire wall (the side where the utility wall is)... at the middle portion between the top and bottom cabinets, whereby the glass backing is usually at, and install sliding windows...

his rationale: so that light from kitchen window can enter the utility room area..

*dots*...

i didn't think that will work out nicely... think it will look ugly, and not serve the purpose of bringing the light into the utility room, and it will be hard to maintain, since i'll be doing the cooking ard that area... :P

his other idea, was to install small top hung windows above the top cabinets, to allow light into the utility room... hmmm... don't like the idea too...

Wow....this look familiar :D

LOL... most of the pics are from renotalk... some i remember the sources... some i don't... coz i just right-click and saved... :P

but they all serve as gd references... when i'm communicating with my contractor...

The panaromic view one is from Aaab's Hjem

Would like to visit his place to see his utility room and kitchen also lor... :P

Changing your bed position do make the bedroom more spacious that the previous layout.

Yes.. that's part of the intent; the other intent is so that i can sleep facing one of my favourable directions... :P

haven't booked wedding dinner package yet... but going down to Novotel this Sat morning to meet the coordinator and check out the ballroom...

look-see a few liao... likely to decide soon... short-listed ones included:

1. Amara Hotel

- near Tanjong Pagar MRT; and meaningful for us... coz can say that's one of the places we got to know each other better as friends....

2. Swiss Merchant Court

- near Clarke Quay MRT; my company usually has their corporate planning seminars there; until recently... think the ballroom quite ok.

3. Novotel

- got colleagues say not bad...

4. Grand Coptherne Waterfront

yah... was discussing with my wife last night... we like almost going to sign contract liao... but haven't even see any perspective or 3d...

think we really price-focused... really neglected the design part... i hope it will not be our greatest regret... :(

I think preparing for wedding is more headache than reno. RSVP and seating arrangement almost killed me... The hotels u mentioned all quite good. Just put on your big smile that day and things will flow smoothly...

Also, don't worry about not seeing any drawings yet cos some contractors will only share when you sign with them. As long as u know what you want and able to show/tell your contractor, sure no problem wan. Don't worry too much.. Just take it as it comes.. I'm also learning now...

sliding glass window!! LOL... you think like my dad lor!

but his idea more "hiong"... he wants me to hack the entire wall (the side where the utility wall is)... at the middle portion between the top and bottom cabinets, whereby the glass backing is usually at, and install sliding windows...

his rationale: so that light from kitchen window can enter the utility room area..

*dots*...

i didn't think that will work out nicely... think it will look ugly, and not serve the purpose of bringing the light into the utility room, and it will be hard to maintain, since i'll be doing the cooking ard that area... :P

his other idea, was to install small top hung windows above the top cabinets, to allow light into the utility room... hmmm... don't like the idea too...

This is similar problem I had with the new wall in my livingroom....to maintain sufficient lights and at the same time must blend into the design!

Maybe next weekend to visit marshmallow's place?? Since this weekend we are all "occupied". :)

I want to see the glass sliding door!!

my dad commented that the utility room near the entrance was "dark" (very "yin")... like no natural lighting and ventilation. and also the "foyer" area seems cramped. like banging into a wall, when you open the main door.

I think Linda agreed too.

I agreed with what your dad commented.........there is no way to change the position of the door opening, so long as you leave the area immediately inside to be bright using light painting colour, & keep it unclutter.

Maybe next weekend to visit marshmallow's place?? Since this weekend we are all "occupied". :)

I want to see the glass sliding door!!

Can I join the Jurong crowd??

Hi csingeu, sorry for slight deviation from your current discussion, can you share with me how to get the Arco Lamp ? I'm really in love with the lamp...

Thanks IA