blue line - T5 cove lighting

red line - under-cabinet LED lights

yellow circle - downlights

blue circle - normal ceiling lights

green circle - motion-sensor light

green triangle - wall-mounted uplights

red triangle - wall-mounted outdoor downlights

My thoughts:

1. may need some downlights or hanging lights at the breakfast counter...

2. upper toilets may need more lights; esp wall-mounted side-lights for the mirrors at the vainty counters for mirror lighting or just ceiling lights for general lighting...

3. my Arco lamp will be at the living room area, to provide 2nd level lighting, for reading purposes.

4. the bedroom study table will have table lamps for general task lighting...

Pls give me your comments.

Thanks!

i think at the breakfast counter, hanging lights will be nice :)

btw, any hanging light(s) for the dining table? personally feel cove light not suitable there... can't see the food clearly~ :lol:

i initally like cove light a lot, but don't have the courage to do after thinking about the cleaning part.... the light box for the cove light is gonna trap a lot of dust and maybe... dead insects.... lizards.... (hubby very scared of the last 2 items! hahahaha :lol:)

The number of lighting points and type of lighting you intend to use are going to cost quite a lot more than typical single lighting points. If you're getting halogen downlights they're going to consume more power as well. Cove and downlights involve false ceilings and suchlike which are also additional renovation costs.

hmmmm i think now pple seldom use halogen downlights rite...? high power consumption plus very HOT~

yea downlights and cove lights will be more ex but cove lights should be a little cheaper as compared to downlights, cos total no. of points required will be less than using all downlights in the same area~ :lol:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Kobelala Reporting !

Sunday house visit :sport-smiley-004: what time and where to meet I try to come

They are coming to my place! :)

May_dream & csingeu: i believe you two got my hp. let me know if you can make it Sunday late afternoon (4~5 like what May suggested).

Kobelala & Mae: if you are coming, please PM me your contact :)

They are coming to my place! :)

May_dream & csingeu: i believe you two got my hp. let me know if you can make it Sunday late afternoon (4~5 like what May suggested).

Kobelala & Mae: if you are coming, please PM me your contact :)

Hey I want I want, your place got Calypso ... woohooooo :sport-smiley-004: contact PMed

Edited by Kobelala

The number of lighting points and type of lighting you intend to use are going to cost quite a lot more than typical single lighting points. If you're getting halogen downlights they're going to consume more power as well. Cove and downlights involve false ceilings and suchlike which are also additional renovation costs.

Hey cleong!

Thanks for your advice. I do understand that the use of cove lighting and downlights will going to increase the cost, due to the number of lighting points and use of false ceiling and l-box. But that's what me and my wife decided that we'll spend a little bit more on.

in fact, i like the cove lighting for the diffused lighting effect...

anyway, will keep that in mind, when i discuss with my contractor. this is just a tentative plan... :)

Hey cleong!

Thanks for your advice. I do understand that the use of cove lighting and downlights will going to increase the cost, due to the number of lighting points and use of false ceiling and l-box. But that's what me and my wife decided that we'll spend a little bit more on.

in fact, i like the cove lighting for the diffused lighting effect...

anyway, will keep that in mind, when i discuss with my contractor. this is just a tentative plan... :)

Bro, u calculated how much more it'd cost yet?

Quite a big difference. If you are having say 16 downlights (thats what I had)... lets say u buy good quality ones, about $30+ (cheap ones can go for $15+). To lay lines and install each light, lets say $10 each. Lets say all the false ceilings and L-boxes cost... $1k. Total damage about $1.6k, compared to maybe 3 normal ceiling lights at $60 each, damage would be less than $300, if we include the wiring and installation.

hahahahaaha yea we would know if we read page 2 of your blog (or is it page 1? :P)... i remember the post on tom yam soup... LOL :lol:

Oh yes... hehehe... :P

the post...

lunch is actually quite good cos you (and your guests too) won't feel so tired and still have time to mingle around and talk to friends after the banquet. but downside is a lot of pple still think hotel wedding lunch is very cheap and "under-bao" while in actual fact, wedding lunch is probably just $10~$20 cheaper per head as compared to wedding dinner.

both choices are good, but if can't meet the minimum tables, then very risky....

yes... will be going down next thu to meet the coordinator at Merchant Court... luckily able to meet the minimum 30 tables for lunch. my wife's very keen to do the wedding lunch... i still feel it's a bit rushed to do the gate crash, tea ceremony, wedding lunch together... and i wonder why, it can't be on another day...

apparently, it's due to "feng shui"... :P

now cannot do seating arrangement yet... can only do rough estimate of no. of tables required... the challenge comes when pple RSVP and you do the detail seating arrangement :P

we'll think of it this later... another headache... :(

wah like that cannot talk so much in your t-blog liao... got "watchful eye" of your wife here... hahahaha just kidding :lol:

lol... you all get to meet her this sunday... :P

actually storage bedframe quite good leh. i like... can put a lot of those you-don't-use-often-but-can't-throw-away things there :P

what i mean is, they have a lot of storage bedframe other than the one in the package. if you go to the furniture mall outlet, they have one whole showroom just for beds. so that time i changed to another storage bedframe that is not from the package :)

we past by Cellini just now after meeting our contractor; we went in to have a look at the bedframes... dun really like either one too... maybe we should go down to the furniture mall outlet... hmmm...

actually without the legs it will be more sturdy? i would go without legs cos like that then dun need to clean the floor below the console~ :lol:

i think without the legs might be slightly more sturdy, but it's lower lor... and even if i don't want to clean the floor below the console... if no legs, think quite easy to "damage" the ikea stuff, when mopping the floor... no?

wait! this Sunday? okie okie need to tell hubby else he will faint~ :P

ermmm... yes... may_dream1 pm-ed me one... :P

i think at the breakfast counter, hanging lights will be nice :)

btw, any hanging light(s) for the dining table? personally feel cove light not suitable there... can't see the food clearly~ :lol:

i initally like cove light a lot, but don't have the courage to do after thinking about the cleaning part.... the light box for the cove light is gonna trap a lot of dust and maybe... dead insects.... lizards.... (hubby very scared of the last 2 items! hahahaha :lol:)

yah... still contemplating whether to have hanging lights at the breakfast counter... but i might consider doing surface-mounted lights instead... hmmm....

Renovation is going to start on 4 April 2011! :D

We went down after work, to sign the renovation contract with JGH Design & Contract Pte Ltd (@ TradeHub 21), for a quotation of $53,815.

Initially, wanted to start work on 28 March, but decided to delay til 4 April, so that Alex (window contractor) would have sufficient time to fabricate our windows and grilles (@ $4,012).

Total renovation cost: $57,827 (excl electrical appliances, lightings, bathroom accessories & furniture)

And we'll have 2 more weekends, to check out our tile selection, accessories and lighting shopping.

I hope this journey won't turn into a nightmare... :unsure:

Edited by csingeu

Congrats....your reno will start next month & here wishing you a smooth journey!

lol... you all get to meet her this sunday... :P

I have contacted Marsh & inform her that I'm joining you all this Sunday, if it is confirmed.

okie, for the record: This Sunday, propose 3~5pm :)

Thanks, marsh. See you this Sunday.

Renovation is going to start on 4 April 2011! :D

I hope this journey won't turn into a nightmare... :unsure:

Horray!!! :yamseng: Can't wait to see the transformation.

Btw where will you be selecting your tiles? SBH??

Horray!!! :yamseng: Can't wait to see the transformation.

Btw where will you be selecting your tiles? SBH??

Hey!

will probably go check out SBH and Hafary. The SBH at Toh Guan is prob one of the biggest showrooms ard our area?

i think i'll be dropping some items from my contractor's quote... sigh... somehow, i still feel like a "carrot".

I've requested for veneer doors, but he was trying to convince me that nyatoh ply doors are better, with natural wood grain lines, and able to stain, up to 6 different colours.

just now, i went to research on the differences between nyatoh ply doors & veneer ply doors. and found some direct suppliers (yongfang, contat, yontat)...

and one of the blog posts I've read (http://blissndreams.blogspot.com/2008/02/c...e-and-door.html) mentioned that they changed their veneer solid main door (and door frame) with lever lockset & other door accessories for only $780. :(

my contractor is charging me $980 for a non-fire rated solid nyatoh ply door & frame for main door. I seriously think it's over priced.

he's quoting me $275 for solid nyatoh ply door with lever lock; whereas Alex is able to give me veneer door with lever lock at $280.

sigh...

decisions decisions...

Edited by csingeu