Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
csingeu

Our Lil Paradise

yes... the renovation process is very siong... i regret not going to view the tiles earlier... esp right after i done my OTP... i should have go and look at the tiles and the prices of those that i'm likely to use...

really tough to juggle office work, sch assignments and exams, and wedding prep together with renovation... want to die liao...

:(

yea.... fully understand the tiredness! jia you! you can make it! :)

and i also want to check my doors to veneer doors leh... i think it's much better... but contractor kept trying to convince me otherwise...

i really got no idea how nyatoh ply doors compare with veneer doors... :(

if i remember correctly, Nyatoh is the solid door... there are 3 main types of doors: solid, semi-solid, hollow. Hollow ones are like those normal classic door. Solid nyatoh ones of course is durable and good for sound proofing but look wise more boring :P Veneer plywood door is like something in between, got more designs also.

if you don't need such solid doors for your rooms, you can go for hollow or semi-solid to save cost.

and also, if you want to use credit cards to get cash rebates and points... maybe buying from the bigger stores... might have better deals... sometimes got free items and gift vouchers...

but i think someone mentioned b4, coz the bigger stores have more staff and showrooms, and hence likely the items will need to be marked up to cover the operational cost of hiring ppl and renting space... not sure if it make sense...

Cons from buying from the smaller stores, likely have to pay cash or NETS...

i went to Mega Discount Store at Kallang Leisure Park. they have price matching policy so it's can be the cheapest... and can use credit card to get rebates.... :)

yes... would need to check out again... but i think now... WC more impt...

actually... need to confirm kitchen sink now too?

need the dimension to plan the kitchen cabinet design?

*blur*

not really, i only bought the sink after reno is half way through... if you are just getting simple normal sink, you need the cabinet design to know what sink to get... like my L-shape kitchen, the max size for the sink is ~600mm, so i actually can't buy before knowing the cabinet design.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
I did go and try sitting on them... but yah lor... coz we are clothed... like not much friction... also don't know what's comfortable...

just want to get the one other ppl are getting... lazy to think so much...

yah... agreed that flushing power very impt... the Geberit systems seem very popular...

my contractor recommended me to go Adamas to look-see... and the salesperson recommended the clayton ones (from msia)...

then i came home to do research... got ppl in renotalk mentioned that... it sucks... after flushing, bits of poo fly out one and get "splattered" on the walls...

so today, when i'm using the toilets in office and school, i noticed the brands they are using...

my office using Toto... and NUS using Rigel... my classmate also using Rigel...

some other on renotalk recommended Baron... or American Ideal...

so which ones did you all get ah?

You can actually save yourself the white hair and just go down to the shops others recommend, and just buy all from there. End of the day, u won't save that much in terms of price.

I didn't really do much to choose the WCs... basically size fits, looks ok, buy! For water consumption, consider again if u want to get many ticks. 4 ticks means less water, doesn't mean as powerful. Some lousy models may need u to flush 2 times in the end.. waste more water. Same goes for kitchen tap! Imagine you want to fill up your flask... takes much longer if u have 4 ticks. lol

i use Baron one... bro really lahhh no one can help you choose WC cos the "feel" to the butt varies. LOL :lol:

just remember don't get those so-called water saving ones. these are the ones that is not powerful enough to flush the p** away~ :P many forumers have warned before... less or no ticks (or water droplets for taps and WC) is better when it comes to water-related stuff. i think the "p** flying" incident mentioned above was from one of those "water saving" WC.

if you go Japan, almost everyone use Toto.... maybe they support their own product hahaha~ :P

and also realised me and wife have quite different perspectives on aesthetics!!! LOL...

but now, i'm more for the ivory series... LOL... modern resort style... can be white/beigey series also... can add the woody stuff (bamboo rack, vanity counter with wood laminate, indoor potted plants)... can also add to the modern resort theme... don't need to be too "dark" ba... :P

LOL same for me and hubby lor.... we have VERY different taste~ was a headache when argueing about which is nicer hahahaha :lol:

and you're right :good: other furnishing play a big part too!

Stainless steel, installed already!! Can't go wrong with stainless steel I guess. And my hood and hob are also stainless steel colour.

stainless steel la... really can't go wrong. just have to remember not to feel "heart pain" when you see scratches on it cos scratches will definitely appear... hahahaha :lol:

how are your tiles selection?? more photos to show us??

I agreed that WC that are water savings function will not have enough water to flush away everything. Certain things cannot be so environmentally friendly. hehehehe....

Homeplus 2000 is at changi road, see my post:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?s=...st&p=612717

Oh, ok, thanks for the info Bro. I've not been to WH, will pay them a visit first. I am seriously considering using 600 x 1200 tiles after all the whitest white is out of stock ... ... although the feedback on using this tile (600 x 1200) is not encouraging and there are only less than 3 colour to choose from so far... But if the whitest white is available in stock again, we will also be considering it...

ya... heard that the bigger the tiles, the harder to install... and the manufacturing defects are higher too... maybe harder to make it flat...

another thing is that for small areas, there will be more wastage...

gd thing => less grout lines. :)

Stainless steel, installed already!! Can't go wrong with stainless steel I guess. And my hood and hob are also stainless steel colour.

hmmm... i'm still considering between stainless steel or granite (the blanco one, or the carysil one)...

think stainless steel also got a few kind... matt finish, etc...

and i think some of them if you check the inner side, under the sink, they are coated with some materials to prevent condensation, in case, people put cold stuff inside to thaw...

yea.... fully understand the tiredness! jia you! you can make it! :)

if i remember correctly, Nyatoh is the solid door... there are 3 main types of doors: solid, semi-solid, hollow. Hollow ones are like those normal classic door. Solid nyatoh ones of course is durable and good for sound proofing but look wise more boring :P Veneer plywood door is like something in between, got more designs also.

if you don't need such solid doors for your rooms, you can go for hollow or semi-solid to save cost.

i went to Mega Discount Store at Kallang Leisure Park. they have price matching policy so it's can be the cheapest... and can use credit card to get rebates.... :)

not really, i only bought the sink after reno is half way through... if you are just getting simple normal sink, you need the cabinet design to know what sink to get... like my L-shape kitchen, the max size for the sink is ~600mm, so i actually can't buy before knowing the cabinet design.

my contractor is quoting me for "nyatoh-ply"... i don't even know what is that... :(

i think i still like veneer doors better... the laminates nicer...

but contractor said... nyatoh-ply better... more sturdy and can easily stain to other colours next time... :(

i'm checking out mrs chew's tonight...

i roughly gotten a quote from her for my balcony (abt 100sqft incl wastage); it's like $2.3K... meaning abt $23psf incl installation... i think the most $$$ one i've gotten is $2.5K... the cheapest can be ard $13psf... but you wouldn't want the cheapest... (must be something wrong)... i think ard $18psf - $20psf should be reasonable... no?

mrs chew recommended solid veneer doors... she said better sound-proofing lor...

too bad, i already gotten from Kong Tai liao... if not, can go Mega Discount to swipe cards... maybe i'll get my TVs there lor... hmmm...

i haven't really measure my area... but of my mind, i think i can get ard a 80cm double bowl one... hmmm...

i use Baron one... bro really lahhh no one can help you choose WC cos the "feel" to the butt varies. LOL :lol:

just remember don't get those so-called water saving ones. these are the ones that is not powerful enough to flush the p** away~ :P many forumers have warned before... less or no ticks (or water droplets for taps and WC) is better when it comes to water-related stuff. i think the "p** flying" incident mentioned above was from one of those "water saving" WC.

if you go Japan, almost everyone use Toto.... maybe they support their own product hahaha~ :P

LOL same for me and hubby lor.... we have VERY different taste~ was a headache when argueing about which is nicer hahahaha :lol:

and you're right :good: other furnishing play a big part too!

stainless steel la... really can't go wrong. just have to remember not to feel "heart pain" when you see scratches on it cos scratches will definitely appear... hahahaha :lol:

think Toto too $$$ liao... if not, i think the quality should be better ba.. ?

think i'll just try to get Baron... seems like it's quite well-recommended...

how are your tiles selection?? more photos to show us??

I agreed that WC that are water savings function will not have enough water to flush away everything. Certain things cannot be so environmentally friendly. hehehehe....

Homeplus 2000 is at changi road, see my post:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?s=...st&p=612717

spent over 3 hrs at White Horse (Sungei Kadut) tile warehouse...

For living, dining, utility room,

our selection for the whitest, glossiest 60x60 tile remains. (and thankfully stock is coming from msia; should be in time)

For kitchen,

1. Changed our ktichen wall tiles to very plain (vanilla) white (but glossy) 60x30 wall tiles; instead of the original marble-like glossy tiles (white glossy with very faint grey veins)... scared next time become very dated... and it's a pain in the *** to match the floor tiles with the faint grey veins...

2. our previous selection remains our 1st option (it's greyish-brownish 60x60 tiles); the salesperson said it's very low stock (but should still have barely enough for us)... she said... this kind of tiles not very popular... coz not a lot of ppl know how to "appreciate" it... LOL..

2nd option: was some light grey 60x60 tiles...

Decided on 60x60 tiles for kitchen, even though we are aware of the water running issue... coz i don't expect the kitchen to be "wet wet" or flooded all the times... likely to be using magic-wipe or dry mop la...

for balcony floor tiles, brownish rough 30x30 tile remains.

for wash area floor tiles, dark greyish rough 30x30 tile remains. wall tiles will be the same as the kitchen wall tiles.

now for the headache part, which is the common toilet and MBR toilet.

initially, we wanted the lighter theme (the ivory series kind)... even though it "harmonizes", the feature wall won't be striking...

hence we changed to darker theme (either grey or brown)....

we selected the balcony floor tiles (dark brown) as the toilet floor tiles... the toronoto marron series (brownish rough mosaic-like stones) for the feature wall... and matt white 30x45 tiles for the wall...

while we were resting in the lounge, waiting for the salesperson to check the availability of our tiles & sipping coffee, i noticed one of the displays outside, was using light grey and dark grey tiles... and the furnishing (potted plant and wooden rack) looked gd with it...

the wall and floor tiles are the same light grey tiles (which fulfilled the effect i wanted to create), and the 2-tone effect was achieved with the darker grey wall files on one side of the wall...

hence we discussed, and decided to change to this instead...

1. Feature wall: Toronto Antracita (dark grey mosaic-like stony tiles)

2. Rest of wall: light grey 60x30 wall tiles

3. Floor tiles: mid-grey 30x30 rough tiles (it's 1 shade lighter than the wash area floor tiles).

AND HENCE, i still end up with my "dark dark small" bathrooms... i hope it will look OK in the end... it might just look more raw industrial, than resort-like... and maybe a bit "cold"... but oh well... it's supposed to be "restful"... and i'm hoping the lighting will make a difference... and also the light grey wall will not make it too "gloomy"... *hur-hur*

balcony, wash area, bathroom floor tiles are from the same series; just different shades of brown and greys...

we'll be posting the photos of the samples later tonight, when I'm home...

I did go and try sitting on them... but yah lor... coz we are clothed... like not much friction... also don't know what's comfortable...

just want to get the one other ppl are getting... lazy to think so much...

yah... agreed that flushing power very impt... the Geberit systems seem very popular...

my contractor recommended me to go Adamas to look-see... and the salesperson recommended the clayton ones (from msia)...

then i came home to do research... got ppl in renotalk mentioned that... it sucks... after flushing, bits of poo fly out one and get "splattered" on the walls...

so today, when i'm using the toilets in office and school, i noticed the brands they are using...

my office using Toto... and NUS using Rigel... my classmate also using Rigel...

some other on renotalk recommended Baron... or American Ideal...

so which ones did you all get ah?

I got mine from Ideal Bathroom (oop Hafary?). One Bravat (German & China brand, but Geberit nonetheless) for the common bathroom - $378 after discount (was $540); One Ideal Standard (Euro) for Master - $840 after discount (was $1200).

9500063.jpg

Yeah, we chose all the ones with only 1 tick water savings! :D

-Ely

So dejavu,

IMHO wedding prep is much more tediously, more ppl to please :rolleyes:

I think preparing for wedding is more headache than reno. RSVP and seating arrangement almost killed me... The hotels u mentioned all quite good. Just put on your big smile that day and things will flow smoothly...

hahaha i think wedding prep is SO MUCH easier compared reno........ :wacko: at least seating arrangement etc is a one day or the most one week headache, and wedding is just an one day event... but reno, if you do anything wrongly, you gotta face it for a long time :bangwall:

Hi csingeu,

4 more days to renovation commencement, time really flies,

I wish you all the best!

while we were resting in the lounge, waiting for the salesperson to check the availability of our tiles & sipping coffee, i noticed one of the displays outside, was using light grey and dark grey tiles... and the furnishing (potted plant and wooden rack) looked gd with it...

the wall and floor tiles are the same light grey tiles (which fulfilled the effect i wanted to create), and the 2-tone effect was achieved with the darker grey wall files on one side of the wall...

hence we discussed, and decided to change to this instead...

1. Feature wall: Toronto Antracita (dark grey mosaic-like stony tiles)

2. Rest of wall: light grey 60x30 wall tiles

3. Floor tiles: mid-grey 30x30 rough tiles (it's 1 shade lighter than the wash area floor tiles).

AND HENCE, i still end up with my "dark dark small" bathrooms... i hope it will look OK in the end... it might just look more raw industrial, than resort-like... and maybe a bit "cold"... but oh well... it's supposed to be "restful"... and i'm hoping the lighting will make a difference... and also the light grey wall will not make it too "gloomy"... *hur-hur*

balcony, wash area, bathroom floor tiles are from the same series; just different shades of brown and greys...

we'll be posting the photos of the samples later tonight, when I'm home...

you can copy the furnishing in for the MBR toilet... wooden racks and potted plants... sounds great! :good: i think it will be resort-like still... like those hotspring resort leh hahaha~ :lol:

*that reminded me of the nice hotsprings in Hokkaido. wanna go again!!!*

will wait for your photos~ :)

heee..my master I choose grey & common brown.. & bro, grey is one of the resort theme. Don't worry, guarantee it will look nice :good:

you can copy the furnishing in for the MBR toilet... wooden racks and potted plants... sounds great! :good: i think it will be resort-like still... like those hotspring resort leh hahaha~ :lol:

*that reminded me of the nice hotsprings in Hokkaido. wanna go again!!!*

will wait for your photos~ :)

heee..my master I choose grey & common brown.. & bro, grey is one of the resort theme. Don't worry, guarantee it will look nice :good:

Our final scheme for the bathrooms... :|

1. Feature wall at shower area: Toronto Antracita (dark grey mosaic-like stony tiles)

2. Rest of bathroom wall: very light grey 60x30 wall tiles

bathroom_scheme_3.JPG

maybe the floor tiles should be darker... what do you think?

the initial selection which I saw at the showroom was having the light grey tiles extend from the wall to the floor...

but we wanted to change to a rougher and 30x30 floor tiles...

salesperson suggested having a darker coloured tiles for the floor... but we didn't want it to be too dark... so this is what we got... :P

Edited by csingeu

I got mine from Ideal Bathroom (oop Hafary?). One Bravat (German & China brand, but Geberit nonetheless) for the common bathroom - $378 after discount (was $540); One Ideal Standard (Euro) for Master - $840 after discount (was $1200).

9500063.jpg

Yeah, we chose all the ones with only 1 tick water savings! :D

-Ely

$840 for a WC... seems too much of a luxury item for me... :P

So dejavu,

IMHO wedding prep is much more tediously, more ppl to please :rolleyes:

Hi csingeu,

4 more days to renovation commencement, time really flies,

I wish you all the best!

Thanks! Can't wait for it to start... and I pray for a smooth renovation... it's really tiring...

Our final scheme for the bathrooms... :|

1. Feature wall at shower area: Toronto Antracita (dark grey mosaic-like stony tiles)

2. Rest of bathroom wall: very light grey 60x30 wall tiles

bathroom_scheme_3.JPG

maybe the floor tiles should be darker... what do you think?

the initial selection which I saw at the showroom was having the light grey tiles extend from the wall to the floor...

but we wanted to change to a rougher and 30x30 floor tiles...

salesperson suggested having a darker coloured tiles for the floor... but we didn't want it to be too dark... so this is what we got... :P

i'd prefer to have the light grey extended to the floor... else too many colours in one small toilet~ :lol: but if you need rough tiles for the floor, then no choice liao, unless you change the wall tiles to the same as floor tiles.... :rolleyes:

okie maybe i shouldn't give you so much option cos you're probably too tired to change anything now :P

i'd prefer to have the light grey extended to the floor... else too many colours in one small toilet~ :lol: but if you need rough tiles for the floor, then no choice liao, unless you change the wall tiles to the same as floor tiles.... :rolleyes:

okie maybe i shouldn't give you so much option cos you're probably too tired to change anything now :P

He is already "One Head Two Big" ~~~ wonder this weekend will he be choosing tiles again seeing the comments. :unsure:

He is already "One Head Two Big" ~~~ wonder this weekend will he be choosing tiles again seeing the comments. :unsure:

don't think he will lah. wife not around this weekend.... the most, he will go check out sanitary wares... that also will give him a big big headache already. hehehehee....

Every weekend is a big headache. hahaha... sometimes, might be happier to just hoot without thinking too much then don't think too much.

I had all my toilet bowls and taps done in less than half hour, just settled in 1 place. After that don't even remember what I chose!