Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
csingeu

Our Lil Paradise

Try to stay away from tiles that feel too rough to touch. A good indication will be running the face of your fingernail across the tile. If the nailface gets buffed/filed, chances are it's too rough on your sole. Besides, having a tile that is too rough = soap scums staring at your every time u step into the bathroom. They are a *beach* to clean.

Edited by rickoveron

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
We have came up with 2 slightly different colour scheme for the bathroom.

1. Lighter theme

bathroom_scheme_1.JPG

Feature wall - Toronto Ivory

Wall tiles - very light pink/beigey tiles with running tones (may change to plain glossy tiles with similar tone)

Floor tiles - light beige/pink rough tiles (may change to slightly darker shade)

2. Darker theme

bathroom_scheme_2.JPG

Feature wall - Toronto Marron

Wall tiles - very light pink/beigey tiles with running tones (may change to plain glossy tiles with similar tone)

Floor tiles - darker brown rough tiles

Which one looks nicer?

for now, i feel that the lighter theme looks better, cos the colour combi is more "harmonized" as compared to the dark theme. i think it's becos the wall colour for the dark theme is too light.

another way is, i think the lighter theme will look good too with the floor tiles of the dark theme - get what i mean? :P

haha no choice as i dunno how to use floor planner...tried but cant get it right! so just blanko it and use free hand!!

ha i know. some pple brought FSM to see the place b4 they even buy the place! haha but then how to??? really time consuming leh.

the reno process is siong and sian..try to cheer her up and look forward to the new house makeover!! then she will be happy!! i also not yet confirmed my IDs yet. heeee. will start meeting up the ID or contractors soon! but my reno not so extensive so should be quite ok since i did not change the staircase, railings, marble flooring..just carpentry, toilets, rooms, rewiring and painting etc.

i've shortlisted some IDs from what forummers intro through their reno process..but yet to contact any.

yah... takes a while to ermmm get a hang of floorplanner... but quite ok for newbies la... esp after you have calibrated your scale... quite easy to do furniture placement, and measure walking space allowance... :)

yes... the renovation process is very siong... i regret not going to view the tiles earlier... esp right after i done my OTP... i should have go and look at the tiles and the prices of those that i'm likely to use...

given a chance again... i think i might just get an ID... and print out the pics we like... and get him/her to do exactly the same... including selection of materials, colour scheme, etc...

really tough to juggle office work, sch assignments and exams, and wedding prep together with renovation... want to die liao...

:(

Yup, choosing tiles are not easy... but at least you have the samples to bring home to think abt it. it took me 2 weeks to choose some of those i took samples but then i still not satisfied. Went to choose again and again.... in the end, went 3 times to take samples and choose. Even bring the tiles to shop for lightings.... hahahah....

yah... tomorrow, I'm going to lug a lot of stuff down to the tile showroom...

my home decor books, magazines, tile samples (from Hafary for my shower feature wall), laminate samples (for my vanity counter and kitchen cabinet)...

and camp there for 2-3 hrs... until we confirm our tile selection... no more time to waste le.. and change minds... :(

bro, can I know how much they quote you for Chengal decking? And for the veneer door, I check with Alex, his quote is quite expensive. I went to IMM level 3 warehouse as what sis marshy recommended..price is reasonable, even for decking. Thought of buying only the main door from her in the end we bought the gateman 4109 from her too since my husband love the gadget :bangwall: total damage after discount $1750

I think the contractor charging ard $2.3K to $2.5K... but i've tried calling up the suppliers directly... i've gotten quotes from $13psf to $23 psf...

my balcony is ard 90+ sqft... plus wastage... ard 100 sqft lor... so it can be as cheap as $13psf... but don't know the quality and workmanship la...

i intend to go down to look for mrs chew tmr, after my tile selection... and check out their doors... and the chengal wood decking...

if not too $$$, it'll do chengal wood decking also lor...

already getting wooden folding doors... feel like getting the decking to match leh...

and i also want to check my doors to veneer doors leh... i think it's much better... but contractor kept trying to convince me otherwise...

and now... he said... coz he helped to apply to do the main door for me (which involves hacking... and redoing the main door frame, as i'm enlarging it)... he said... he will need to do the main door too...

:(... **** sian... i thought can get him to do the door frame... but get my veneer solid doors elsewhere...

but i'll definitely take out the room doors... from his quotations... and get from mrs chew, if it's much cheaper...

i really got no idea how nyatoh ply doors compare with veneer doors... :(

wow good progress bro! is kong tai prices cheaper than HN or courts?? i like bosch oven too!! tangs selling at $799..but waiting for members sale which will have 10% off plus 12% rebate for citibank cardholders! just went last weekend..saw their bosch vacuum cleaner..seems not bad also...

oh choosing tiles really not easy...for me i would go for one wall with special tiles..i sort of like one tile which looks like leather...heeee

Eh... i'm not too sure... whether it's a lot cheaper than HN or Courts... i think got pros and cons la...

think Courts stuff... (no offence)... should avoid la... i've heard a lot of "rumours" that they repossess items which ppl cannot pay instalments for... and then repackage to resell...

As for HN, think if they got renovation or clearance sale, might get fire sale deals... :dunno:

and also, if you want to use credit cards to get cash rebates and points... maybe buying from the bigger stores... might have better deals... sometimes got free items and gift vouchers...

but i think someone mentioned b4, coz the bigger stores have more staff and showrooms, and hence likely the items will need to be marked up to cover the operational cost of hiring ppl and renting space... not sure if it make sense...

Cons from buying from the smaller stores, likely have to pay cash or NETS...

I got my lightings from Chan Huat (everything) and lightings.com.sg (downlights only)

Ceiling fan from Chan Huat.

Sanitary ware, kitchen sink, hood/hob from Homeplus. Think they are cheaper, did screw up one delivery but was rectified in the end. Prefer Richard to handle the delivery and details. Karen made quite a number of wrong assumptions and details.

I think both Chan Huat and Lightings.com.sg has good service. Lightings.com.sg for Philips lights, they are sole distributor for quite a number of models.

For sanitary stuff, you must get the measurements of the WC hole after they finish tiling -- more accurate. Then you can easily narrow down the WCs when u go out selecting them. Mine were also based on the limitations of the hole distance from wall, so didn't need too much choices. More problem in the wash area WC coz we needed a small one and a tiny corner sink.

yes.. i think lightings.com.sg basic lights are very affordable too... :)

likely to get my wall lights from Chan Huat... and maybe also the remote controls for the lights...

btw, where's homeplus located?

and also... specifically, which brand/model of WC you using?

if yours is chimney hood, then just one hood at the wall is fine... i think... :)

hahahahah the way you describe the small dark place is very funny~ :lol:

if you can find something you like at the Chinese Garden stretch of lighting shops, just get from there - if the light bulb not working or something, no need to travel so far to change :lol:

i got all sanitary and kitchen stuff from Royal Fanco @ Jalan Besar (same as friends78). very good service and price is good :good: though the shop is small and not impressive, once you tell them what you want, they will bring out the stuff one by one from their storeroom... like doraemon LOL :lol:

I need to bring along my notepad and take down the prices leh...

now i also don't know what kind of downlights i need... there's like so many different selection... in terms of looks... and also wattage, etc...

hopefully, can get all the lights from one place la... save the hassle... :(

wanted to go to royal fanco last sun (when i was driving to balestier road to check out the other tile shops, lightings and sanitary wares)... but by the time, i'm done with balestier road, it was almost dinner time and starting to rain... so didn't go down...

quite tiring to go all the way there... :( from jurong... *bleahz*

I only got 1 of my special light from Chan Huat. I find their lightings are quite special too.... but i already bought most of my items so i didn't buy more from them. their pricing also quite ok.

But like what Marshy is saying, csingeu, if you can find them at those shops near her house, then might as well buy from there loh.

yes... would need to check out again... but i think now... WC more impt...

actually... need to confirm kitchen sink now too?

need the dimension to plan the kitchen cabinet design?

*blur*

I agree - we initially wanted wall-hung toilets but couldn't after the plumber inspected the hole once all the hacking was done. They'll advise you what diameters you can use, so it's easy elimination (no pun intended~). Do sit on them, despite how odd you'd feel, as I felt like I was sinking into several models. To remain on the seat, I had to literally perch on the edge with tippy-toes on the floor. Some of the seats were so narrow that I was falling into the bowls! :unsure: Maybe I don't really have a butt, or maybe there was less friction because I was clothed, but decided on another more expensive model for the master bathroom simply because it was a lot more comfortable.

Our main concern was flushing power, so we picked Geberit systems, known for its efficiency.

Don't worry about being "safe" or "boring" when it comes to design - think of it as "timeless"! :)

-Ely

i remembered Royal Fanco's boss said for HDB, there are 2 main sizes of fitting for WC. need to measure the distance from the wall to the sewege hole, then they will be able to provide the correct size fitting.

LOL and one thing i learned after this reno: do not wear high heels when going for WC shopping! the "comfort level" will be different! :lol:

Haha Marshy! I think I was wearing my ballet flats though... :unsure: I just remember being engulfed by the toilet! It was so weird! :lol: I was asking my husband "Can you see my thighs?!"

-Ely

I did go and try sitting on them... but yah lor... coz we are clothed... like not much friction... also don't know what's comfortable...

just want to get the one other ppl are getting... lazy to think so much...

yah... agreed that flushing power very impt... the Geberit systems seem very popular...

my contractor recommended me to go Adamas to look-see... and the salesperson recommended the clayton ones (from msia)...

then i came home to do research... got ppl in renotalk mentioned that... it sucks... after flushing, bits of poo fly out one and get "splattered" on the walls...

so today, when i'm using the toilets in office and school, i noticed the brands they are using...

my office using Toto... and NUS using Rigel... my classmate also using Rigel...

some other on renotalk recommended Baron... or American Ideal...

so which ones did you all get ah?

Hope you and your wife will be able to choose something on Wed.... heheehe..... most importantly, how you feel abt he colours loh. as long as you feel you will be happy looking at them all time.

I do hope so la...

we 2 very frickle-minded one... and very "shui bian"... so kept changing minds... esp after hearing other ppl comment...

want to try something different... yet very scared the results haywire and then have to face it for at least the next 10-15 yrs...

and that's the con of not having an ID... sometimes, these kind of things... a bit hard to visualize...

a tile by itself might look nice... but when used on a large area... might have different feel...

and also realised me and wife have quite different perspectives on aesthetics!!! LOL...

Try to stay away from tiles that feel too rough to touch. A good indication will be running the face of your fingernail across the tile. If the nailface gets buffed/filed, chances are it's too rough on your sole. Besides, having a tile that is too rough = soap scums staring at your every time u step into the bathroom. They are a *beach* to clean.

rickoveron, you mean for floor tiles or wall tiles? or in general? yah... won't get too rough kind... maybe more matt look, then rough... for the floor tiles...

for the wet areas... need to think abit la... maybe still need a *bit* rougher or anti-slip...

yes... understand the cleaning and maintenance issue... but still keen on getting the feature wall for the shower area... :P

for now, i feel that the lighter theme looks better, cos the colour combi is more "harmonized" as compared to the dark theme. i think it's becos the wall colour for the dark theme is too light.

another way is, i think the lighter theme will look good too with the floor tiles of the dark theme - get what i mean? :P

LOL... actually... the lighter theme... it's my selection... the other one is my wife one...

we are quite ok with either one... but definitely... need to do a bit more mix & match of the complementary tiles...

why dont you go for this ?

looks nicer :D

bathroom_feature_wall_1.JPG

I actually like this better... some in this kind of pattern... and also the greyish tone...

but my wife likes the mosaic-like kind... and a more brownish tone...

but now, i'm more for the ivory series... LOL... modern resort style... can be white/beigey series also... can add the woody stuff (bamboo rack, vanity counter with wood laminate, indoor potted plants)... can also add to the modern resort theme... don't need to be too "dark" ba... :P

I do hope so la...

we 2 very frickle-minded one... and very "shui bian"... so kept changing minds... esp after hearing other ppl comment...

want to try something different... yet very scared the results haywire and then have to face it for at least the next 10-15 yrs...

and that's the con of not having an ID... sometimes, these kind of things... a bit hard to visualize...

a tile by itself might look nice... but when used on a large area... might have different feel...

and also realised me and wife have quite different perspectives on aesthetics!!! LOL...

rickoveron, you mean for floor tiles or wall tiles? or in general? yah... won't get too rough kind... maybe more matt look, then rough... for the floor tiles...

for the wet areas... need to think abit la... maybe still need a *bit* rougher or anti-slip...

yes... understand the cleaning and maintenance issue... but still keen on getting the feature wall for the shower area... :P

LOL... actually... the lighter theme... it's my selection... the other one is my wife one...

we are quite ok with either one... but definitely... need to do a bit more mix & match of the complementary tiles...

I actually like this better... some in this kind of pattern... and also the greyish tone...

but my wife likes the mosaic-like kind... and a more brownish tone...

but now, i'm more for the ivory series... LOL... modern resort style... can be white/beigey series also... can add the woody stuff (bamboo rack, vanity counter with wood laminate, indoor potted plants)... can also add to the modern resort theme... don't need to be too "dark" ba... :P

hmm IMO this tile also very "resort" feel.. can go with beige floor tiles

or maybe select this tile as the feature wall tiles and the rest is beige wall tiles then floor select greyish tiles?

but honestly speaking better to go for darker color floor tiles.. so it wont be so envious when it gets dirty

Edited by reglxt

Quick Updates!

bathroom_scheme_1.JPG

Feature wall - Toronto Ivory

Floor tiles - light beige/pink rough tiles (may change to slightly darker shade)

this combi not bad.. maybe select darker, rough surface floor tiles

Living, Dining, Utility Rooms

We'll be using really boring glossy white 60x60 homogeneous tiles...

but somehow, the colour we picked didn't look that fantastic when we took the sample home to see again... hmmm....

living_room_floor_tiles_1.JPG

I think we would like it to be a little more whitish and glossier... hmmm...

Bro, is your tile the "whitest" of all the white available ? I went to a few tiles shop and most of the sales people tell me no more stock for the "whitest" ones...

yes.. i think lightings.com.sg basic lights are very affordable too... :)

likely to get my wall lights from Chan Huat... and maybe also the remote controls for the lights...

btw, where's homeplus located?

and also... specifically, which brand/model of WC you using?

I need to bring along my notepad and take down the prices leh...

now i also don't know what kind of downlights i need... there's like so many different selection... in terms of looks... and also wattage, etc...

hopefully, can get all the lights from one place la... save the hassle... :(

wanted to go to royal fanco last sun (when i was driving to balestier road to check out the other tile shops, lightings and sanitary wares)... but by the time, i'm done with balestier road, it was almost dinner time and starting to rain... so didn't go down...

quite tiring to go all the way there... :( from jurong... *bleahz*

yes... would need to check out again... but i think now... WC more impt...

actually... need to confirm kitchen sink now too?

need the dimension to plan the kitchen cabinet design?

*blur*

You can actually save yourself the white hair and just go down to the shops others recommend, and just buy all from there. End of the day, u won't save that much in terms of price.

Homeplus is along Changi Road, between Telok Kurau and Still Road. Opens on Sundays too til 7pm I think.

I didn't really do much to choose the WCs... basically size fits, looks ok, buy! For water consumption, consider again if u want to get many ticks. 4 ticks means less water, doesn't mean as powerful. Some lousy models may need u to flush 2 times in the end.. waste more water. Same goes for kitchen tap! Imagine you want to fill up your flask... takes much longer if u have 4 ticks. lol

Got my WC+Sink for $288... name looked like Friven in the invoice. 2 sets for master and common toilet.

Another much more expensive one, Neptune for $350 for the WC, corner basin $55. But I checked other places like Universal Union... selling at $400-ish. Bopian spend more coz its the smallest model, looks nice and is a P-trap. :P

Kitchen sink... depends on your kitchen layout. Make sure you know what is your maximum length allowable before buying. That could be one of the last items.

I think you should confirm kitchen cabinet design first before buying the sink. Better than buy sink then find yourself restricted by the size. General guideline... 810mm length works for most 2-basin bowls. U can go shop around first.. but its very tiring to keep looking la.

Edited by Soichiro

hmm IMO this tile also very "resort" feel.. can go with beige floor tiles

or maybe select this tile as the feature wall tiles and the rest is beige wall tiles then floor select greyish tiles?

but honestly speaking better to go for darker color floor tiles.. so it wont be so envious when it gets dirty

this combi not bad.. maybe select darker, rough surface floor tiles

just talked to wife... think she's more ok to follow my suggestion of a "lighter" theme... and to avoid the "dark" tiles..

but will definitely, go for a darker shade for the floor tiles.

Bro, is your tile the "whitest" of all the white available ? I went to a few tiles shop and most of the sales people tell me no more stock for the "whitest" ones...

This one is not the whitest of the white...

we later went back to chose again... but like you mentioned, it's out of stock... but i think they have went to request for more tiles from their malaysian factory (at least for White Horse la)... now that I've looked at the few tile shops... i think white horse really cheaper... but not too sure abt durability and quality of material lah...

Kitchen sink... depends on your kitchen layout. Make sure you know what is your maximum length allowable before buying. That could be one of the last items.

I think you should confirm kitchen cabinet design first before buying the sink. Better than buy sink then find yourself restricted by the size. General guideline... 810mm length works for most 2-basin bowls. U can go shop around first.. but its very tiring to keep looking la.

ok then... will KIV the sink for now... what sink you getting? stainless steel? granite?

This one is not the whitest of the white...

we later went back to chose again... but like you mentioned, it's out of stock... but i think they have went to request for more tiles from their malaysian factory (at least for White Horse la)... now that I've looked at the few tile shops... i think white horse really cheaper... but not too sure abt durability and quality of material lah...

Oh, ok, thanks for the info Bro. I've not been to WH, will pay them a visit first. I am seriously considering using 600 x 1200 tiles after all the whitest white is out of stock ... ... although the feedback on using this tile (600 x 1200) is not encouraging and there are only less than 3 colour to choose from so far... But if the whitest white is available in stock again, we will also be considering it...

ok then... will KIV the sink for now... what sink you getting? stainless steel? granite?

Stainless steel, installed already!! Can't go wrong with stainless steel I guess. And my hood and hob are also stainless steel colour.