Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Ely1

The Best Journey Always Leads Us Home

For knives, should try japanese knives. They are much stronger than "german" knives. Japanese knives could be around 60 to 61 in rockwell scale. While german knives could be around 56. There are japanese knives that is forged to use "german" style of chef knife.

I happen to went Tokyo last year and bought a knife personally for a knife shop .. expensive (according to wife standard), but I love them so much.

If i didn't go there, I would buy jap knives online from http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/MISONO2.html

The Misono UX10 and Molybdenum is good range.

PS: Gyuto is the equivalent of chef's knife.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi again ne0,

How could a Virgo ever stand trunking of any sort? *gasp* Even your innocuous suggestion sounds incredulous to me :P I kid ;) That's where the feature wall/TV console will be so expect lots of trunking and crazy wires to hook up a multitude of equipment: receiver amp/blu ray player/SCV box/media player/NAS/X Box/TV.

When the aircon was first done, I was so aghast at the trunking that I paid an additional $250 to rectify it. Just so to accomodate the new better concealed aircon trunking, we SHIFTED the entire living area, ie. feature wall, but this works out nicely as I now can fit in a "foyer" like I always wanted....

that's more like a virgo. ha!

An EA is a complete different budget though, with the stairs, balcony, AND many bedrooms. I received $100k quotations for my simple reno, which was initially very disturbing because we had no idea it would cost that much. Current reno is half that, with another 50k into filling the space.

100k for reno only?????

sounds incredulous to me :P I kid you not

Managed to fix the sink problem with my petulant insistence, and some "deh" powah (thanks, May Dream!). Doing without a solid backsplash (so the tap can fit) and changed the orientation of the doors. Additionally changed the top cabinets to all casement so that the bottom drawers would look symetrical and saved $$ on the Blum :P Those funds are now directed to a customised study/work top for the common bedroom's nook. Am intending to do a customised wallpaper for that bedroom but that will have to wait as it's more than 1k. Otherwise, it's more DIY LACK shelves for the nook to hold the Mac Pro and books.

Hoping to get blinds and curtains done this week, and packing should commence next week. Need ALL the luck I can get - thank you!

that's unfair! why cant guys "deh" too.

wahahahaha

and yes, bless you with hordes of luck. ha

And more for the kitchen: :D

Dry kitchen knifeset - CS Kochsysteme too :)

bad4_1_sbl.JPG

SAME KNIFESET!!! i bought from mayer at great world.

not the best knifeset i suppose but it was one piece and in stainless steel so were sold.

is stainless steel yes, but not rust-free. spotted a bit of rust on my knife.

i got the same knives set too. you bought it online? how much?

its very good to use and i like it as its one whole piece between the handle and the cutting part. then no germs and dirt will be trapped in between like other type of knives. :sport-smiley-018:

that's more like a virgo. ha!

SAME KNIFESET!!! i bought from mayer at great world.

not the best knifeset i suppose but it was one piece and in stainless steel so were sold.

is stainless steel yes, but not rust-free. spotted a bit of rust on my knife.

Ooh, same knives :) Yep, cheaper knifeset for the dry kitchen - purely for looks haha! Only about S$50, and it feels extremely light compared to the >$400 WMF set. Thought it would be a hassle to go back and forth from the dry/wet kitchen to get knives, so got the handy ceramic Kyocera one for light use.

My study nook and feature wall is being worked on today, and downlights being rectified.

- Ely

For knives, should try japanese knives. They are much stronger than "german" knives. Japanese knives could be around 60 to 61 in rockwell scale. While german knives could be around 56. There are japanese knives that is forged to use "german" style of chef knife.

I happen to went Tokyo last year and bought a knife personally for a knife shop .. expensive (according to wife standard), but I love them so much.

If i didn't go there, I would buy jap knives online from http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/MISONO2.html

The Misono UX10 and Molybdenum is good range.

PS: Gyuto is the equivalent of chef's knife.

Ooh, those look really good. Should have heard about this earlier - they look fantastic!

- Ely

Ooh, same knives :) Yep, cheaper knifeset for the dry kitchen - purely for looks haha! Only about S$50, and it feels extremely light compared to the >$400 WMF set. Thought it would be a hassle to go back and forth from the dry/wet kitchen to get knives, so got the handy ceramic Kyocera one for light use.

My study nook and feature wall is being worked on today, and downlights being rectified.

- Ely

You got the $400 knives set?

OMGAH! My fear factor is 10/10 when "knife" is mentioned. You can say I have phobia & fear seeing sharp knives. Don't know why, but most probably fear of armed robbery since Im staying alone with my youngest son then? So, I never have knives exposed. :lol:

I remembered I bought one complete set of different kind of knives in wooden block many many years ago...but throw them away when we moved house.

Now, I have only ONE piece of AMC 2-way chopper but is kept inside it's original box!!

Seems like I made a mistake. It was bought some time ago so I simply thought it was a WMF. Had to go through the bags to find it, and it's actually the Zwilling Henckels Professional S block. Got it from Tangs for about $350? Can't remember exactly. Doesn't come with scissors, so got a Sola Swiss one for the block. The block, however, is square instead of as depicted:

35621000.jpg

This one retails for £400.00 at the online store, but am fairly certain I didn't pay that much for it! :jawdrop:

- Ely

OMGAH! My fear factor is 10/10 when "knife" is mentioned. You can say I have phobia & fear seeing sharp knives. Don't know why, but most probably fear of armed robbery since Im staying alone with my youngest son then? So, I never have knives exposed. :lol:

I remembered I bought one complete set of different kind of knives in wooden block many many years ago...but throw them away when we moved house.

Now, I have only ONE piece of AMC 2-way chopper but is kept inside it's original box!!

Mae, you're so funny! What do you use to chop stuff then??

- Ely

- Ely

She don't cook, no need to chop anything.

But your knives set still super ex!!

Got a lovely gift from my sister-in-law.

Gorgeous set of chopsticks from Shanghai Tang:

5685975542_3077d8ac50.jpg

Love them! <3

- Ely

High class chopsticks.

Did a check online and they're out-of-this-world crazy expensive. Can't wait to use them to eat instant noodles ha!

- Ely

DAY 71

I'm STILL choosing laminates after being told the stuff we'd chosen are out of stock, then the 2nd choice picked is also out of stock. Back to drawing board and looking at sample books. How is this happening?! AHHHH!!

Already Day 71... sigh. Am told will be able to move next weekend. TV console can only commence next week, as well as all the granite tops, then plumbing, so we'll see. Definitely not packing my bags yet.

-Ely

- Ely

sis Ely

That piece of chopper was won in a lucky draw which I have a choice to pick this knife over fork & spoon set! So I don't need to buy any more knife for rest of my life! :lol:

DAY 74

Final electrical work to be done Monday. Curtain/blinds tracks to be installed Monday/Tuesday, granite tops to be installed on Wednesday (as Deh Power wasn't quite adequate~) and the plumber to arrive on Tuesday, with a scheduled acid wash on Friday. Which means we get to move in next weekend!! *gasp*

Will most likely be cleaning like full-time janitors on Friday AND Saturday AND Sunday, with Saturday being the proposed move-in date. Yes, we have a date! Not sure if being overly-optimistic as none of the wardrobe doors, shower screens, balcony glass, glass doors are up. The weekend will definitely be a tiring one - with packing and moving and unpacking and cleaning.

This weekend and the following week will see last-minute errands - more trips to Ikea, getting some finishing touches, household stuff. Juat bought that ludicrous spin mop from Isetan as couldn't bear to splurge on the Leifheit - bought that one for my mother instead as maid has ran away and poor Mom is cleaning the entire house. Had a taste of it when parents went away for a holiday, leaving me with the house and the mini-zoo, and, trust me, it wasn't easy. I'm sooo glad to be living in an apartment!

Wallpaper to be installed next week, as only selected them yesterday. They're cheaper than quotations I was given (almost half the price - same for my curtains/blinds), so will definitely update how the workmanship goes. I picked them within minutes so hopefully, they go according to my visualisations.

Engaged a Malaysian guy to do my curtains/blinds and he's quick and prompt and from work he has done at parents-in-law' place, it looks fantastic. Great quality material - all black out with good pulley and track systems, thousands of designs at the same price. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Floor lamps:

Yes, the Shopping Queen strikes again.

254335722FL.jpg2543051FL.jpg

-Ely