Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
clara

Wall Tiles Behind Kitchen Cabinet

Hi

Just wanted to find out: Is it necessary to put wall tiles on those parts of the wall which will be covered by the kitchen cabinets? Any consequence in the long run if no wall tiles behind? I thought it is quite a waste to put tiles and then cover up with cabinets. As the kitchen is small, most parts will have build in cabinets , so can save a bit if no tiles behind?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Just wanted to find out: Is it necessary to put wall tiles on those parts of the wall which will be covered by the kitchen cabinets?

No necessary

consequence in the long run if no wall tiles behind?

No.

I thought it is quite a waste to put tiles and then cover up with cabinets. As the kitchen is small, most parts will have build in cabinets , so can save a bit if no tiles behind?

Make sense.

Money hard to earn. Save unnecessary spending

Hi

Just wanted to find out: Is it necessary to put wall tiles on those parts of the wall which will be covered by the kitchen cabinets? Any consequence in the long run if no wall tiles behind? I thought it is quite a waste to put tiles and then cover up with cabinets. As the kitchen is small, most parts will have build in cabinets , so can save a bit if no tiles behind?

usually for contractor's or ID's quote, they indicate clearly that kitchen wall tiles are for exposed area only.

so, it's a standard that the quotation doesn't count those area behind the cabinets... so i doubt there will be any cost saving from the quotes you received~

i also don't understand... pipe leakage and having wall tiles behind the cabinets are 2 independent events....

Hi marshmallow, do you recommend putting glass backsplash in Kitchen? How much that cost roughly pfr? i have read some comment in forum that says that cost around $55 pfr for non white/black tempered glass..

Hi marshmallow, do you recommend putting glass backsplash in Kitchen? How much that cost roughly pfr? i have read some comment in forum that says that cost around $55 pfr for non white/black tempered glass..

if you cook often, i think glass backsplash will be good :) but i didn't do last time cos no $$ liao... :(

but sorry can't advise you on the price cos i didn't do~

usually for contractor's or ID's quote, they indicate clearly that kitchen wall tiles are for exposed area only.

so, it's a standard that the quotation doesn't count those area behind the cabinets... so i doubt there will be any cost saving from the quotes you received~

Just to share, I asked a question to one of the IDs I seen recently. My kitchen wall got a bit like dented inside. So I asked when the carpenter do the cabinet and fix in, what will happen to the dented part inside...like a hole..., then he replied..oh, we will put a wood inside..I never asked what kind of wood cos I was thinking it is norm to do that cos I never heard of...LOL...

Is it better to ask contractor to put cement and tiles on top of it before the carpenter fix the cabinet??? Need expert advise on this....

EmoBebe

Just to share, I asked a question to one of the IDs I seen recently. My kitchen wall got a bit like dented inside. So I asked when the carpenter do the cabinet and fix in, what will happen to the dented part inside...like a hole..., then he replied..oh, we will put a wood inside..I never asked what kind of wood cos I was thinking it is norm to do that cos I never heard of...LOL...

Is it better to ask contractor to put cement and tiles on top of it before the carpenter fix the cabinet??? Need expert advise on this....

EmoBebe

hmmmm how come got dent in the wall one?? :unsure:

i dunno but my guess is, if the dent is not too deep, they can always put cement to level the wall but no need to put tiles over the cement.... hmmm everyone here please correct me if my guess is wrong~

My kitchen wall tiles were also laid for exposed area only; only one week after moved in, I found mould patches inside the cabinet along the groove line where the wood pieces joint. It is obvious that mould is attacking from the cabinet backing. I started to suspect whether it is due to the area without tiles is too damp…will it be better if there are tiles to prevent moisture from the cement wall attacking the cabinet? I am still clueless…

My kitchen wall tiles were also laid for exposed area only; only one week after moved in, I found mould patches inside the cabinet along the groove line where the wood pieces joint. It is obvious that mould is attacking from the cabinet backing. I started to suspect whether it is due to the area without tiles is too damp…will it be better if there are tiles to prevent moisture from the cement wall attacking the cabinet? I am still clueless…

Thanks for the replies. I think I will put wall tiles. No point saving some and end up spend more to change cabinets in long run. I am not using ID & will be buying my own tiles.

Hi,

Hijack this old thread a bit.

My current kitchen renovation will not have tiles behind the kitchen cabinet.

I would like to ask, since that part of wall is without tiles, how it should be treated normally?

Screeding (smooth surface), plastering or normal cement (rough surface, unlike screeding)?

Thanks

Edited by keepsimple

Hi,

Hijack this old thread a bit.

My current kitchen renovation will not have tiles behind the kitchen cabinet.

I would like to ask, since that pasrt of wall is without wall, how it should be treated normally?

Screeding (smooth surface), plastering or normal cement (rough surface, unlike screeding)?

Thanks

Hi keepsimple,

I would suggest asking your ID or renovator what they will and gonna do. Because it will all come down to the pricing as screeding definitely will require more work, which means more expansive.

By the way, i also just pass by this thread and saw your post. hahaz:)

Cheers,

Mike