Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
bepgof

Prs Not Allowed To Buy Public Housing?

We understand those issues brought up during rallies are complicated and there is no quick fix solution. Let's zoom in to "public housing" first.

Do you think should PRs be not allowed to purchase "public housing", but only rental? What are the rationate that MND allowed such in the first place?. Your view please.

Edited by bepgof

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I am against that ban, as PRs with family members also need shelter.

I prefer the other approach of making MOP 8-10 years for PRs to reduce property speculations by PRs.

Edited by forgotten

It did not use to b a problem until they started giving out pr like no ppl's biz. A short term solution is to ban pr from buying.

But I Tink banning does more harm. The root of problem is still under building, so should apply the right medicine.

I don't think it is a right thing to ban PR for buying HDB.

However I personally feel, should ban 2 PR single to buy HDB.

PR with family with kids. They need a place to stay

2 single PR. They need a HDB flat for what?

If let them , buy. Can. Resist them on smaller unit.

2 Single need a 5rm flat mah?

I heard some PRs , buy a 3 or 4 rm HDB.

They sleep at the living hall. Rent out the 3 bedroom.

I don't think it is a right thing to ban PR for buying HDB.

However I personally feel, should ban 2 PR single to buy HDB.

PR with family with kids. They need a place to stay

2 single PR. They need a HDB flat for what?

If let them , buy. Can. Resist them on smaller unit.

2 Single need a 5rm flat mah?

I heard some PRs , buy a 3 or 4 rm HDB.

They sleep at the living hall. Rent out the 3 bedroom.

HDB already banned 2 single PRs to buy HDB. 2 singles PRs that can buy have to be siblings as well and this has been banned recently...i think was sometimes in Feb?

HDB already banned 2 single PRs to buy HDB. 2 singles PRs that can buy have to be siblings as well and this has been banned recently...i think was sometimes in Feb?

Oh!

You are right.

I forget about this changes.

Too many rule change in these 1-2 yrs.. change until I kong kong..:P

Presently, as disclosed by MBT, one in 5 HDB resale buyer is PRs, = 20%!

In principle, "public housing" scheme should apply only to "citizens". This is the "cut off line". This is a "loyalty" concern associates with it.

They can BUY private property, at anytime.

If PRs want to be eligible to buy "public housing", can always apply for citizenship. Approval of application of citizenship is another issue.

This is a "principle" issue.

Edited by bepgof

Oh!

You are right.

I forget about this changes.

Too many rule change in these 1-2 yrs.. change until I kong kong..:P

Ya, i also trying to remember all changes until i am confused. Dont know whether they will make more changes after GE.

Presently, as disclosed by MBT, one in 5 HDB resale buyer is PRs, = 20%!

In principle, "public housing" scheme should apply only to "citizens". This is the "cut off line". This is a "loyalty" concern associates with it.

They can BUY private property, at anytime.

If PRs want to be eligible to buy "public housing", can always apply for citizenship. Approval of application of citizenship is another issue.

This is a "principle" issue.

I agreed.... if they want to buy, have to apply to be citizen first loh.

Without denying, disallow PRs to purchase public housing is quite a sensitive issue, ought to be handle with cares.

Ex SM Goh has hinted some message to PRs, sometime back to withdraw or cancel PRs status to some who don't want to be "citizen". http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2010/09/09/government-won%E2%80%99t-force-prs-to-take-up-citizenship/

Of course, not to chase PRs out of singapore if they decline to take up citizenship. But put option to these: No public housing, only "renting" of public housing or buying of pte property.

This is quite a challenging task to implement for ruling party, as it will affect the price of public housing, and the "20%" will keep growing till one day singapore in "economic slum" and they say "bye bye". Co-driver then start slapping driver?

Edited by bepgof

Without denying, disallow PRs to purchase public housing is quite a sensitive issue, ought to be handle with cares.

Ex SM Goh has hinted some message to PRs, sometime back to withdraw or cancel PRs status to some who don't want to be "citizen". http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2010/09/09/government-won%E2%80%99t-force-prs-to-take-up-citizenship/

Of course, not to chase PRs out of singapore if they decline to take up citizenship. But put option to these: No public housing, only "renting" of public housing or buying of pte property.

This is quite a challenging task to implement for ruling party, as it will affect the price of public housing, and the "20%" will keep growing till one day singapore in "economic slum" and they say "bye bye". Co-driver then start slapping driver?

no idea why he said these kind of stuff. These kind of stuff are those that are best left unspoken. He is not like MM LKY who can say and get away with it..

co-driver havent start work already had minor accident, caught sleeping! haha!

I mentioned earlier, MND has to draw "some solid lines" as to public housing policy.

- Salary ceiling capping issue, should there be any capping to all citizens who are "1st timer"? Need to have a SOLID line for this.

no idea why he said these kind of stuff. These kind of stuff are those that are best left unspoken. He is not like MM LKY who can say and get away with it..

co-driver havent start work already had minor accident, caught sleeping! haha!

Edited by bepgof

Honestly, I don't think it is a matter of whether PR whould be allowed to buy HDB. The problem came up because the government has been importing too many foreigners without increaseing our housing and infrastructure by the same amount. It seems in the last 2 years, there were not many TOPs, but the government has been allowing something like 80-100k foreigners and expats in a year. So definitely, prices will soar due to lack of supply. In this case, they should give top priority to our Singapore citizens.

Edited by ZondaR

I mentioned earlier, MND has to draw "some solid lines" as to public housing policy.

- Salary ceiling capping issue, should there be any capping to all citizens who are "1st timer"? Need to have a SOLID line for this.

well if u ask me, i would put a cap on income ceiling. Peg it to starting salary of diploma/degree holders maybe since target market are those young people.

a solid line would still be blurred or debatable. They ultimately have to decide who they want to "subsidise".

Income in HDB's view relates to fixed salaries. Many jobs comes with commission nowadays, sales, property agents, etc. Many people in sales are at an advantage as they can avoid the income ceiling while drawing good commission (ok, sometimes not so good). In this case, HDB is "wasting" resources on them.

no point providing subsidies to rich people. e.g. young people whose parents are rich enough to buy them a private property. Those people might simply buy hdb and put it up to collect rental, putting more upward pressure on high prices.

Last but not least, the ceiling is super irrelevant now la, millions of things have changed and prices have gone up but ceiling never change??

From angle of justice & equality which applicable to all citizens (PRs ??), these "solid lines" ought to be drawn, whether the "1st timer" is young or old, poor or rich. This is where/how I look at it.

The issue(poly/U) you raised relate to "affordability".

"Pay slip" & IR8A form are the "yardsticks" for measuring earning power of those employed class.

Many young ones esp u graduates kena the "ceiling" problems. They have to turn to resale or pte.

so u mean grant HDB to all citizens?

then i would say its bad for those who really need housing. When things are given, people will take it with both hands.

Imagine a rich family of 3 kids. Father is so rich that he can get each and every one a private property.

But since each kid is entitled to a HDB, father tell them to buy and rent out. So you have it, the HDB market has 3 less flats now for everyone. (given that supply remains the same)

Given the rental nowadays, the flat is easily self financing and would be "free" to each kid after 30yrs.

Is that what you deem as fair and equitable?

Fair and equitable to me would be to "level the playing field". HDB sets an income ceiling to level the field a bit, so that people who need flats can get one. The reason why so many people cannot get a flat need not be said again.

Now the playing field is not level again, with income ceiling at 8k, despite prices rising sharply. So HDB attempts to increase to 10k or more. There will always be debate on "why 10k" and not "11k".

Currently, those earning 8k or more can still get resale flats. I cannot see why more than 8k salary (assuming no kids since not married)cannot afford resale? Are they are just grumbling that despite paying for more taxes, they cannot enjoy the subsidy as they earn more?