Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
EmptyDivided

A Review On The Pc 12 Ultra Sub (Aka The Public Dustbin)

Rb, correct me if im wrong please. Here are the setup i understand from your write up.

1. Digital out from bluray player to digital input on AVR1.

2. 2 surround spkrs & ctr direct out from AVR1.

3. Preout 1 from AVR1 direct to Subwoofer.

4. Preout 2 from AVR1 direct to power amp and from power amp speaker out will handle main L/R.

Do i get step 4 correct? This is totally new to me.

Anyway a power amp is ONLY applicable for those using high end speakers right?

Thanx in advance my fren.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Rb, correct me if im wrong please. Here are the setup i understand from your write up.

1. Digital out from bluray player to digital input on AVR1.

2. 2 surround spkrs & ctr direct out from AVR1.

3. Preout 1 from AVR1 direct to Subwoofer.

4. Preout 2 from AVR1 direct to power amp and from power amp speaker out will handle main L/R.

Do i get step 4 correct? This is totally new to me.

Anyway a power amp is ONLY applicable for those using high end speakers right?

Thanx in advance my fren.

The amp needs to have preouts for each channel you want to attach to another amp. As most AVRs will be able to do 5.1 minimum, they will have a subwoofer preout. If you wish to use a poer amp for the other channels then the AVR must have preouts specifically for the other channels.

so 3. would be the marked as subwoofer on the AVR and the left and right preouts would be marked specifically as left and right preouts. Most lower end amps have the subwoofer out but not preouts for any of the other channels and the AVR that replaces my 667 has also had them removed.

RB

Okie. Now i understood. So i will just have to get a set which could manage the speakers well. Thanx so much rb for the useful knowledge. If 1 day i could afford a highend hifi like urs. U will be my guide. Will keep u updated on my progress. Currently doing furniture hunting. Next will be my HT.

Okie. Now i understood. So i will just have to get a set which could manage the speakers well. Thanx so much rb for the useful knowledge. If 1 day i could afford a highend hifi like urs. U will be my guide. Will keep u updated on my progress. Currently doing furniture hunting. Next will be my HT.

Glad to help.

RB

About $7,000. These includes;

1. Sony NX 710 46" 3D

2. Onkyo 609

3. Wharfedales 10.6 and 10.0

4. SVS sub PC 12 Ultra

5. Oppo 93 bluray player

6. AC Ryan playon 2

The TV costs quite a bit. As I have mentioned in my post before, the HTS(less the players and TV) is about $3k. It is a 5.1, upgradeable to 7.1. I would love to post photos of our humble entry set up, but now place is still undergoing works. Sadness. Once it is up, i will post photos.

7000 bucks....................and you got yourself Wharfedales ????!!!!!

i offer my condolences......................

7000 bucks....................and you got yourself Wharfedales ????!!!!!

i offer my condolences......................

Your back again.

I offer everyone my condolences.

RB

Hi guys,

I am sure many of us here have pondered about what subs to get, which brand to buy, what size to get. My wife and I have visited KEC several times to audition. I have personally heard Velodynes CHT 8Q, CHT 10 Q, SVS PB 13 Ultra and the B&W PV1. In all fairness, the Velodynes were of the lower range, with lower powered amps as compared to the other two brands. Thus, I found the imaging not accurate, overly boomy and undefined. I am a novice at this, so please read with an open mind. Some may like the Vedlodynes and find them great, so please do your homework and listen to all despite individual views. One thing I realized on my journey in my HTS is that everyone's preference differs.

Given a limited budget due to reno expenses, I was given a challenge. Try to achieve a HTS under $3k. This $3k includes only amp, speakers and sub. The hunt began. I was disappointed with Velodynes performance and continued with my research online. The SVS PB 13 and PV 1 sounded much better. So i told my wife we were going to get an SVS. She said okay if it was within budget. I posted on another website looking for an svs sub and I bought a mint condition PC 12 Ultra.(It is a round cylindrical shape sub shaped older version)

The guys from KEC came to install the system. The mains are Wharfedale 10.6s, 10cs for the centre and 10.0 for the rears. An Onkyo 609 powers the speakers and sub and the player is an Oppo 93.

The Dark Knight was used to test the system. The Wharfedales were clear and crisp. But what blew me off was the sub. My wife is a bass freak. So she got the guy to turn up the sub. I was directing some work at another part of the house and I heard a boom in the back ground and following that my wife shrieked followed by immense laughter. She yelled for me to have a listen. And we played the scene again.Its the scene where the robbers shoot an arrow through a glass. the bass was accurate not boomy. The sound replicated felt like a punch. I could feel air movement against my face. It seems exaggerated, but I did feel the air move. It was fantastic. I can't wait to watch more but due to the disappointments in the reno works, we can't move in and it is three weeks late, now moving into the fourth. I will update more when I watch more movies.

What I can safely conclude to say is,

1. the more power driving you feed your sub, the better it gets. An underpowered sub will give you a boomy sound.

2. SVS does live up to its reviews online.

3. 8", 10", 12", 15", 18"' 21" do all differ. 8" will be very punchy and short, and for the huge subs will be much bigger in sound and will send out way bigger reverberations. For me personally, pending on room size, speaker size and personal preferences, that is how a decision should be derived upon. An average sized living room I think(in my opinion) needs at least a 10" sub or a high powered 8".

I hope my experience will help those who are searching for their HTS. last and not least, kudos to the great service and patience KEC sales and installers provided. They are good. Period.

Might be getting the same setup, only difference is player I'm using PS3. Reviews please.

About $7,000. These includes;

1. Sony NX 710 46" 3D

2. Onkyo 609

3. Wharfedales 10.6 and 10.0

4. SVS sub PC 12 Ultra

5. Oppo 93 bluray player

6. AC Ryan playon 2

The TV costs quite a bit. As I have mentioned in my post before, the HTS(less the players and TV) is about $3k. It is a 5.1, upgradeable to 7.1. I would love to post photos of our humble entry set up, but now place is still undergoing works. Sadness. Once it is up, i will post photos.

Waiting for your photos... :)