Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Bluesummerayz

My Woodlands Den Raaaawwwrrr

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

My brother heard from his colleague that we should put some fish in the water feature to prevent mozzie from breeding.. my qtn is.. the water is constantly running and the surface always disturbed.. mozzies can breed meh?? :jawdrop:

Rectifications to be made on the house:-

Kitchen

1) 1 slab of the black backsplash which is suppose to cover up to the hood still not changed

2) Stainless steel bracket is still happily dangling and jutting out at the sink area

Service Yard

3) Shelves for the cabinet (to hide the piping) not done yet. I feedback to the ID that I want at least 2 shelves in there, I mean come on, we spent money to do reno not just for aesthetic purpose but also must think about practicality right? With the shelves, I can hide my clothes pegs, and other barang in there. Now only the 'stickies' like brollies and mop are in there.. space not maximized

Living Room

4) FS Master took reading again when we moved in and the 2 white half moon shelves were placed wrongly. These are suppose to be our 'Gui Ren' position, so have to move them to the right place. I should think it's not that difficult to do?

5) Dining Light faulty again. This is the second time this has happened. The inner core is made of cloth strips and one of the strips came off, dangling in the air.. I am using masking tape to secure it 1st. What a lousy 700+++ pc of lighting!

Bed Rooms

6)The wardrobes look nice but the interiors need some repairs. some of the shelves chipped already, some cut too big (cannot rest evenly), some even cannot move (suppose to be adjustable).

Because of this problem, I left those shelves unused. Who knows when they are going to fix it? Don't want them to come and work on a cupboardful of junk stuff.

Master Toilet

7) Seriously, the vanity cabinet is eating into the toilet bowl space. When I er use the toilet bowl, I had to sit abit slanted :jawdrop: Ah yes, my c-r-a-p is slanted also hahahaha I thought about having this (not that c-r-a-p la, but the size of the cabinet) and decided I would just leave it like this. I can live with this, because I need the cabinet space to house my toiletries.

8) Another thing about the toilet bowl, dunno which expert plastered this.. because the back of the toilet bowl was 'anyhow plaster'.. normally I wouldnt notice, but my floor tiles are black.. so obvious loh... later take a pic and show here..

9)The shower area seems to have a flooding situation. The water outlet was not built at the correct spot, as a result, water pouring down onto the floor cannot be channel out from the shower area into the drainage near the toilet bowl. I am always standing in a pool of soapy water when I shower.. its such a weird feeling (feels like I am not clean forever!)

Store Room

10) Ahhhh the cracking has begun.. after I built this, the ID highlighted to me that cracks will start to surface because it was a newly built storeroom. Water will escape from the concrete and it will take time to have the concrete completely dry. So meanwhile, there will be plenty of crack lines surfacing... ID said they will come do the touch up once the crackings have stopped. Problem is, how would I know? AND... if I contact them after a few mths (or a year i dunno??), would they still honour this? Hmmm better to get this down black and white...

Edited by Bluesummerayz

My brother heard from his colleague that we should put some fish in the water feature to prevent mozzie from breeding.. my qtn is.. the water is constantly running and the surface always disturbed.. mozzies can breed meh?? :jawdrop:

Gd am blue!

Well if disturbances r constantly strong, u could be right. However if it's a mild one & feature measuring est 900x900mm, there would be zones whereby mozzies deem appropriate to lay eggs. I'd seen one feature having such breedings many years back, in a particular showroom with access to outdoors!

On the safe side, u may opt with your bro's advice or have some granular baits thrown in :)

Oh looks a mountain of 'burdens' for Sophia!

On newly-erected wall, yes it's common to have hairline cracks right after. My friend who did up one experienced same thing & his mentioned solution: coat sealant paint over the surface after some weeks. Such paint got the kinda PU (polyurethane) membrane to seal & 'rubber up' cracklines so maybe if your prob persists, can try out see see?

2 cents' opinion ;)

as tuasbird mentioned...some parts of the pond might only have minimal disturbances to the water surface..

just buy some cheap guppies and dump it in lor...

Gd am blue!

Well if disturbances r constantly strong, u could be right. However if it's a mild one & feature measuring est 900x900mm, there would be zones whereby mozzies deem appropriate to lay eggs. I'd seen one feature having such breedings many years back, in a particular showroom with access to outdoors!

On the safe side, u may opt with your bro's advice or have some granular baits thrown in :)

Good friggin cold morning Roy!!! Hmmmm he got me quite paranoid.. staying in woodlands, doesnt want to be the one contribution to aedes mozzies man... I will buy some guppies and put in there just to be safe..

Oh looks a mountain of 'burdens' for Sophia!

On newly-erected wall, yes it's common to have hairline cracks right after. My friend who did up one experienced same thing & his mentioned solution: coat sealant paint over the surface after some weeks. Such paint got the kinda PU (polyurethane) membrane to seal & 'rubber up' cracklines so maybe if your prob persists, can try out see see?

2 cents' opinion ;)

Ahhhh okies! thats a good idea! I will wait until the cracking stop then proceed with that.. otherwise, only waste money...

LOL you can still recall my Id name even though I seldome mentioned her real name! not bad leh!

as tuasbird mentioned...some parts of the pond might only have minimal disturbances to the water surface..

just buy some cheap guppies and dump it in lor...

Mmmmmmm onz.. must go buy guppies.. do pple put 'sucker fish' in there I wonder?

Ahhhh okies! thats a good idea! I will wait until the cracking stop then proceed with that.. otherwise, only waste money...

LOL you can still recall my Id name even though I seldome mentioned her real name! not bad leh!

Heehee...! Extreme ends, yes do remember either ids' names or else, pics posted!

Yup those paint eg. Skk Kinda or others doesn't come cheap. Let Sophia pay for all, including labour.

Mmmmmmm onz.. must go buy guppies.. do pple put 'sucker fish' in there I wonder?

One gd way second-ed by archenemy. Otherwise get granular baits fm nursery & spread over your pond lor! Creates an invisible oily surface deems unfit for ah aedes'

population growth :)

Oh suckers for 'cleaning up' ok, don't think they swim around for food (ie. Lauvae)...

Edited by tuasbird

sucker fish? oh yeah they do..but they are more for algae...

some plecos can cost more than your water feature! haha...

sucker fish? oh yeah they do..but they are more for algae...

some plecos can cost more than your water feature! haha...

Ah that I know, my brother has a tiny little one in the CRS tank.. I think it was quite ex .. guppies easily KO right? Not a good fish to put in water feature if they are always dying... how abt molly?

One gd way second-ed by archenemy. Otherwise get granular baits fm nursery & spread over your pond lor! Creates an invisible oily surface deems unfit for ah aedes'

population growth :)

Oh suckers for 'cleaning up' ok, don't think they swim around for food (ie. Lauvae)...

Got pple put this? Is the oil obvious to human eye? This seems a better to be a better option.. but must make sure my cats dont drink from it... otherwise, dai ji tua diao liao ? :jawdrop:

My gate and window grills were customised and done by andrew from tay boon tat too. I must say that he did a really good job. It is not easy reproducing the retro type of grills and gate and he managed to do so based on a picture i gave him. Thumbs up for the young chap!

hmmm post #31? Costs me about $3.5k windows and grilles

Windows Installation by Tay Boon Tat Renovate Contractors

I had all my window panes and grilles changed and engaged Tay Boon Tat to do that job. I requested my ID to quote me on this, and on the side I went to rummage through renotalk and found a post which the guy chose Tay Boon Tat but their rates are reasonable. So I contacted them myself and got a quote. Indeed their prices are lower than what my ID quoted me, even can give me a discount after I confirmed on the grilles designs and type of windows.

The sales guy involved in this project was Andrew Lim and he was very polite and knowledgeable. He took the time to go on site to check out the windows, pointed out areas which require some attention and decision, came to my house to show me the designs, came to my office to collect the 50% payment when I told him I wasn't able to meet at the site. Throughout the installation process, he kept me updated constantly without my prompting, which I really appreciate. Most of the windows were replaced in the house, except for the common toilet lourve window, the lourve window in the kitchen/service balcony area. There was also a fixed window at the service balcony, and he was patient and understanding enough to wait until the hdb grilles outside the window gets painted before sending his guy to install the window yesterday. Paid him the balance only after that. In case you need his services or quotes, you can reach him at 9380 9187. Again I am not related to him or the company and bear in mind I only did 2 comparisons of quotes. To me, his service attitude and sense of ownership came in tops. If you been reading my blogs, you will agree with me on this point!