Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tarpal

A&a To 3 Storey Inter Terrace At Simei - Add Home Lift And Attic

Hi, this forum is very helpful.

Just bought a 3 storey inter terrace at simei area.

Looking at adding 1 attic and also home lift plus some minor A&A to the house.

Was wondering if we need to submit to BCA/URA as I checked their website if area added or changed is less than 20%, no submission required?

Also any estimated costs for this addition of the attic and home lift?

Currently sourcing for a builder to help me do the works.

Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hello Tarpal,

Just my two cents of thought. Probably the easiest way is to buy lunch or coffee for an architect or QP, and have him do a preliminary review of your requirements on site. This project could pose some interesting technical & design challenges.

I saw a number of forum postings where people wish to avoid BCA/URA submissions in an A&A project, possibly on cost and time considerations but I wouldn't recommend this approach especially where a project entails changing the facade/profile of the building and has safety issues to overcome.

To my limited knowledge, I believe that there is a relationship between the GPR limit & height limit. It is better to get URA approval for modifications, to add height especially.

Regarding the lift, presumably you intend to install this where the existing airwell is? Then be careful of the dramatic degradation of natural lighting & ventilation within the house. Or maybe by cutting through existing floor slabs at the 2nd & 3rd storeys? Then this would certainly require a PE certification, for re-engineering of floor slabs for the lift, strenghtening of existing columns to carry the additional weight of attic, in addition to possibly re-routing of exsiting power cables and/or sanitary, water pipings.

Was wondering if we need to submit to BCA/URA as I checked their website if area added or changed is less than 20%, no submission required?

Thanks.

Thanks.

Lauer has given good advice. In addition, I would like to caution on adding an attic when your house is already a 3 storey building. You will need to have additional pillars and possibly beams that run through the first floor to the third to support the attic. Hence, it is not a case of simply adding an additional storey with the rest of the house largely intact. It may not be easy to just add a lift even if you have an existing airwell and you may wish to consider installing a lift chair along your stairs.

If you wish to add an attic, you will definitely need to get the necessary engineering expertise and approval from the authorities.

Thks for all the good advice. Any recommendation for a good contractor who can urethane this mini project, please PM me the details and contact no.

Thks a lot!

Hi leechaorui,

Have been reading your posts, learning a lot from you! ;)

Just bought a 2-storey house and wanted to do some A&A work...a few contractors said I need to get PE to certify cos I want to partially enclose backyard, hacking external wall (for French windows),

relocate bathroom and do a roof extension over the verandah.

Wonder if I really need a PE? Thought if I leave the required setback at backyard, and increase is less than 20% of existing GFA, I don't need BCA approval?

If I do need PE, any reliable PE you recommend? Am on tight budget too :-/

Tks for yr advice!! ;)

Goldy

Lauer has given good advice. In addition, I would like to caution on adding an attic when your house is already a 3 storey building. You will need to have additional pillars and possibly beams that run through the first floor to the third to support the attic. Hence, it is not a case of simply adding an additional storey with the rest of the house largely intact. It may not be easy to just add a lift even if you have an existing airwell and you may wish to consider installing a lift chair along your stairs.

If you wish to add an attic, you will definitely need to get the necessary engineering expertise and approval from the authorities.