Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Viv4v

Possible To Change From Halogen Lights To Led Lights With Dimmer Function?

Hi All, I'm new here and just finished renovating my place. I have 4 halogen downlights in my MBR and I am thinking of changing them to LED lights. However, I would like to make the LED lights with dimmer function. When I asked my contractor if I can just buy the LED light bulbs to replace them and add in a dimmer switch at the socket to have the dimming function, he told me it's not possible and he will have to ask the electrician to rewire all the halogen lights in the MBR.

Can any kind soul let me know if I can replace the halogen lights with LED lights and also add in the dimmer just by buying the gang off the market and DIY? Or do I have to employ what my contractor suggest, ie an electrcian to rewire the MBR?

I have a false ceiling in my MBR and do not wish to tear it down just to rewire it. TIA!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi gnipihz, thanks for ur reply. I already bought the Philips LED light. what I want to know is can I add a dimmer function to this by just buying a dimmer gang and wire it myself or do I have do rewire like my contractor said?

If the LED light is dimmable, it will say so on the packaging. If not stated, means its not dimmable.

For the dimmable ones, I believe there are dimmers made specifically for LED lights. These will certainly work. As for the normal triac dimmers, I'm told that although they should work, some might not allow you to dim down beyond a certain %, or might cause some flickering.

Thanks watchthewaves and gnipihz, my current light switch gang does not have the dimmer switch. Can I just buy off the shelf and install myself or should I get an electrician to do it? Also, any idea where can I buy the dimmer gang?

One more thing, do I need to install a transformer inside the downlight holder like some people say or I can just straight away plug into the 2 pin hole? Thanks!