Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
PublicLife

Hdb Floorplans: The Best (And Worst) Layouts In Public Housing

Been a silent stalker of RT for a while, and love reading some of the older RT blogs especially. Noticed along the way that many of the RT posts feature very 'interesting' floorplans! So, I decided to start a t-blog thread featuring the most unusual, interesting, creative and simply head-scratching HDB floorplans that RT has accumulated along the way.

Enjoy! :D

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

In the past, HDB blocks sometimes had 5-room flats along the corridors and 3- or 4-room flats at the ends (I guess this was one of the few ways they could get people to chose corridor units over end ones), and it sometimes resulted in configurations like this:

5I1.jpg

Where the flat ended up being wrapped around the block's central staircase. Must be a bit scary hearing people walking up and down the stairs at night while you are sleeping in your bedroom right next to the stairwell... :(

Edited by PublicLife

In the past, HDB blocks sometimes had 5-room flats along the corridors and 4-room flats at the ends (I guess this was one of the few ways they could get people to chose corridor units over end ones), and it sometimes resulted in configurations like this:

5I1.jpg

Where the flat ended up being wrapped around the block's central staircase. Must be a bit scary hearing people walking up and down the stairs at night while you are sleeping in your bedroom right next to the stairwell... :(

Woah I wonder who came up with this layout! Yes, it will be very errie at night.

I also like my high ceiling too, at least they dont make u feel too "squeezy"

f_4hrpdm_86d5a44.jpg

f_4hrpem_6d75a85.jpg

Yup. It sure is lovely! Was admiring it some time back, and was hoping to get a top-floor unit some day too but the prices now are unbelievable... :rolleyes:

And, for all those who may be interested, Berry Surprise has a HDB 'penthouse' :D of this configuration:

f_ns8rej76770m_08267cf.jpg

In the past, HDB blocks sometimes had 5-room flats along the corridors and 4-room flats at the ends (I guess this was one of the few ways they could get people to chose corridor units over end ones), and it sometimes resulted in configurations where the 5-room flat ended up being wrapped around the block's central staircase.

In a continuation of this pattern, the HDB also created EA / 5-room blocks, where the EAs were along the corridors and the 5-rooms were at the corners, like this:

So, if you wanted a really big EA, you had no choice but to pick a corridor unit...

EA2.jpg

But if you wanted 'privacy', you had no choice but to pick a rather oddly configured corner 5-room.

5I2.jpg

(I can't help but wonder why on earth one of the common bedrooms is sandwiched between the living room and dining room...)

An all-time popular choice:

5I3.jpg

The point-block 5-room flat.

One of HDB's earliest (and most rational designs), this layout sensibly puts the storeroom near the front entrance (making it useful as either a pantry or shoe cupboard), has a kitchen that's large enough to actually do cooking in (something that cannot always be said for newer HDB designs), has lots of windows (let's hear it for good ventilation!), and groups the bedrooms together near the dining / family area (as it should be!).

Unfortunately, the trend of putting the common bedrooms in sometimes rather unlikely (and distant!) locations continued throughout much of the late 1980s / early 1990s... as in the layout below, which strangely enough puts the common bedrooms at the opposite end of the flat from the common toilet (that would surely make things rather difficult if one needs to use the toilet in a hurry in the middle of the night!). :rolleyes:

5I4.jpg

Edited by PublicLife

Of course though, this is the classic 5-room flat design of the 1980s and early 1990s (by the mid 1990s, everything had changed - in came service balconies, external rubbish chutes, then air-con ledges, and finally the infamous bombshelters, of course):

HDBFloorPlan-SimsDrive5ICorridorEnd.jpg

The balcony served as an excellent foyer (finally, a sensible area to deposit one's shoes before going into the flat itself!), and the flat itself was essentially one giant square (more or less), making the placing of furniture pleasingly uncomplicated.

An all-time popular choice: The point-block 5-room flat.

One of HDB's earliest (and most rational designs), this layout sensibly puts the storeroom near the front entrance (making it useful as either a pantry or shoe cupboard), has a kitchen that's large enough to actually do cooking in (something that cannot always be said for newer HDB designs), has lots of windows (let's hear it for good ventilation!), and groups the bedrooms together near the dining / family area (as it should be!).

What a lot of people don't realise though is that HDB even built 4-room point block flats (there's one at Spottiswoode Park :D )!

HDB-1970-4I-point-block-91sqm.png

The catch of course is that it only has one bathroom in reality (split into two - a W.C. and shower area - good for people who like to keep their 'business' separate ;) ).

What a lot of people don't realise though is that HDB even built 4-room point block flats (there's one at Spottiswoode Park :D )!

What's even rarer though are... 3-room point blocks! :jawdrop:

5845ee28.jpg

Again though, they suffer from the 'one toilet' syndrome... And the bathroom does seem to suffer from some serious ventilation issues (any 'big business' in your toilet is quite likely to stink out your bedrooms, kitchen and possibly the dining room as well!).