Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
schiz0id

The One With The Gargantuan Task

oooh, everything looks so nicely done up even though reno is not completed yet. And with such good speed! :good:

I thought that the sizing of the main door is standardised? I didn't know that widening of the main doorway could be approved! :unsure:

We also didn't know could widen until we saw the upstairs neighbour had unusually wide main door.

When we didn't get an immediate approval from HDB to hack the walls to widen the door, I called HDB up to enquire and realised that it is possible to widen but they needed to check if the previous owner had bought the access area.

So my deduction is that it's due to the fact that the current main door's position is in a new position after buying access area.

In other words, the walls that are holding the main door frame are not those "stiffeners" that cannot be hacked, unlike most main doors. They're actually new walls to house the new main door frame after the access area was bought. ;) Hope it doesn't sound confusing :P

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi buddy,

It's not confusing becox u've got the knack in giving coherent explanations & I could relate to what u're trying to tell me.

I think it's good to widen the door becox yours is a jumbo flat. According to fengshui beliefs, the doorway must correspond in terms of sizing based on that of the house (flat in this case).

R u guys going to buy the recess area? No right? Whoa if the recess area has been purchased, then, it'll be really super jumbo! :) And maybe there's no back door since the recess area is supposedly fenced up? :unsure:

Hey frenny!

Thanks for that :) They will be hacking the main door for widening on Monday! Yay!

Anyway, the access/recess area was already bought by the previous owner, HDB just wanted to check their records to make sure. Only with the access area then only can we have a nice squarish living room else it'll be a rather odd shape. :P

CEMENT SCREED LESSON

One of the uncles was rather nice today and explained the different types of cement works that goes on for any new wall to me. If it's too technical, just enjoy the pictures :D

After the hollow blocks are constructed for a new wall, the first layer of cement screed goes up. This mixture comprises of cement, soil and of cos, water. In school, I learnt that there was a particular proportion that was the "correct" way. But of cos, I don't expect the uncles to be so precise and I trust their many years of experience.

CIMG0388.jpg

The balcony area is now levelled, screeded and looks part of the living room. :good:

The above shows a first layer of cement screed that goes onto the hollow blocks (or any uneven surface like the hacked off walls that they need to make good).

CIMG0389.jpg

Another view of the new living room area. This is a good estimate of the distance from our sofa to the TV. Yup, almost 5 metres away. Will post pics of our TV purchase soon ;) Watch out for the MAMMOTH one! :P

Okay, back to the lesson.. After the first layer is dried, a second layer goes on to smooth the first layer. This second layer is made up of just cement and water, thus you will notice it's a much darker hue of grey when it is applied. This layer looks a lil rubbery when applied but when dried, it's very light grey and ready to hand over to the plasterers to continue the works.

CIMG0360.jpg

The second layer that went up on my brother's walls today.

CIMG0382.jpg

This picture shows the different stages as mentioned above. Starting from right, the dining wall looks a bit more brownish than the background walls because this is the first layer (mixed with soil). Notice when it dries, there'll be holes and patches in them. Next comes the wall just next to it, in the back. That wall has been given the second layer (cement and water only), thus explaining its dark grey color. Notice it's a lot smoother than this first layer. Then the puny wall (right next to the yellow wall), is what the second layer looks like when dried. ;)

The many steps to constructing a wall. Interesting eh? :sport-smiley-004: Hope you went away with something from this post, I know I enjoyed my 'lesson' today :good:

KITCHEN UPDATE

CIMG0392.jpg

I realised I love to post this photo of the Dry Kitchen. But I always neglect the other side.. So here it is......

CIMG0397.jpg

The toilet entrance is hidden behind this new wall. This is also the view from the Wet Kitchen. And a peek inside the new wall will reveal.....

CIMG0396.jpg

A nicely tiled area where the new washer and dryer will be housed! :D

The main door will be hacked on Monday to make way for a wider door! Can't wait!! :sport-smiley-004: Hope preparation works can start next week for the floor tiles! ;)

Edited by schiz0id

KITCHEN UPDATE

CIMG0392.jpg

I realised I love to post this photo of the Dry Kitchen. But I always neglect the other side.. So here it is......

CIMG0397.jpg

The toilet entrance is hidden behind this new wall. This is also the view from the Wet Kitchen. And a peek inside the new wall will reveal.....

CIMG0396.jpg

A nicely tiled area where the new washer and dryer will be housed! :D

The main door will be hacked on Monday to make way for a wider door! Can't wait!! :sport-smiley-004: Hope preparation works can start next week for the floor tiles! ;)

Everything seems to look good on the walls. With the floor tiles on, the kitchen will be so swee :thumbs up:

wah the uncles are so nice to explain to you about the cementing and hollow block wall construction. thanks for sharing with us, it's very interesting and let me i learn something new today! may your reno continue to be smooth smooth good.gif

Everything seems to look good on the walls. With the floor tiles on, the kitchen will be so swee :thumbs up:

Thanks pebbles! Yeah, waiting for the floor tiles now. Hope that'll be soon! :sport-smiley-004:

wah the uncles are so nice to explain to you about the cementing and hollow block wall construction. thanks for sharing with us, it's very interesting and let me i learn something new today! may your reno continue to be smooth smooth good.gif

Thanks sleek. Yeah, he's quite nice. And all the while, he was continuing to do his work - multitask! :P

SHOPPING BASKET

So, seeing how far our sofa is going to be from our TV console - a whopping 5 metres. We had initially set our hearts on a 55" TV. But when we actually went down to the view the TV, we found that it was really quite small when we stood 5 metres away. So in the end, we placed a deposit for a 60" Samsung LED TV! :sport-smiley-004:

Samsung-UA60D8000YR-3D-LED-Smart-TV-with-most-advanced-3D-imaging-technology.jpg

We initially placed an order for the 8000 series. But I think mum after looking at her depleting pockets, will downgrade to the 6000 series. The price is almost half that of the 8000! :wacko: We don't really need the advanced features like surfing internet etc. We just need the size so we can at least see Phua Chu Kang's mole during re-runs! :lol:

Samsung-LE-32R87BD-LCD-TV.jpg

We also got the 32" LCD for my younger brother's room. My youngest brother and me will contend with watching US TV on our trusty Macs! :good:

Will be going down to the house to see the progress they've made today. Really looking forward to the main door hacking on Monday!! :notti:

wah! :bow: i sure didn't know cementing is so much an art/science. i always thought just build, build, build and plaster, plaster, plaster. Thought everything is solid and nice, nice.

ha, next time i'll know what to look out for and act smart in front of the IDs :deal: so they cannot cheat my $$$ :P

TILING UPDATE

CIMG0413.jpg

Wet Kitchen wall tiles are all up! Even the ones around the windows. Still waiting for the windows guy to finish up this window.. Guess they are waiting to do one shot with the grilles. :rolleyes:

CIMG0415.jpg

My parents' wet bathroom all grouted! The whites are looking white! ;)

CIMG0416.jpg

Their dry bathroom had another layer of cement screed up to prepare for the wall tiles they are meeting :lol:

FLOOR UPDATE

CIMG0410.jpg

Was pleasantly surprised to see my younger brother's floor being prepared for the impending floor tiles. :sport-smiley-004: Next week - Floor tiles!!! Oh, and his toilet in the back is looking all nice and dandy with the white grout in place! :sport-smiley-018:

Will post pictures of the main door and its hacking works tomorrow! :jammin: Hope more areas will see preparation for floor tiles tomorrow!

wah! :bow: i sure didn't know cementing is so much an art/science. i always thought just build, build, build and plaster, plaster, plaster. Thought everything is solid and nice, nice.

ha, next time i'll know what to look out for and act smart in front of the IDs :deal: so they cannot cheat my $$$ :P

Haha yeah, must show off abit to your ID so you can keep them on their toes! :yeah:

Anyway, there's a third type of cement mix. Will post pics of those tomorrow ;)

SHOPPING BASKET

DigitalDoorViewer.jpg

Bought this some months ago when there was a sale online. Seen it at homefix shops though a different brand but I suspect they are all OEM.

Have not actually tried it but hope it works well.

The button infront acts as the camera as well as the doorbell. :)

SHOPPING BASKET

DigitalDoorViewer.jpg

Bought this some months ago when there was a sale online. Seen it at homefix shops though a different brand but I suspect they are all OEM.

Have not actually tried it but hope it works well.

The button infront acts as the camera as well as the doorbell. :)

Hi buddy,

Is such cameras allowed at the exterior of flats?

Would you mind sharing with me on where you bought this from? I'm interested in exploring the option of getting one myself :P

Is this gadget very expensive?

:)