Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
schiz0id

The One With The Gargantuan Task

It just occurred to me, from your pictures, how creative the uncles can be in using whatever materials available to help them in their tiling! Thanks for sharing! ;)

Haha yeah.. I find some of their "clamps" very ingenious too. I probably should compile some of the most ingenious stuff these uncles can come up with! :P

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

WINDOWS

It's been an exciting day today with the windows finally up! :P All except the living room cos that area is a lil tricky. Will explain more when the windows guy is back with the living room ones. Grilles yet to be up too. Think that'll be much later.

CIMG0323.jpg

Was quite ecstatic to see this lorry downstairs when I was on my way up. The window panes were sitting nicely waiting to be put up while the frames were being installed. :D

CIMG0317.jpg

Windows contractor making good the area before installing the frame then making good the area around it again after. (After taking this photo then realise we actually have 12 bamboo holders :P )

CIMG0344.jpg

Completed windows in the Dining area. The black protective sticky tape is to be removed to reveal the nice white powder coated frames! ;)

CIMG0337.jpg

One of the windows in the toilets. Interestingly enough, not sure if it's the white colour or the fact that it's one whole piece of glass as compared to the 3 small louvered ones that were there previously, after these were installed, the windows looked HUGE! Optical illusion.. Ha..... :rolleyes:

It's going to be a wet night tonight. Hope the rain doesn't enter the wet kitchen where the windows are not up yet! :unsure:

Edited by schiz0id

you're so diligent to go to your reno site daily and post photos daily. they are making good progress, it always feels good to see new things being donegood.gif

the toilet windows look like robot eyes looking at you! wink.gif

CEMENT WORKS

CIMG0348.jpg

Last of the door frames for the bedrooms is up. They still have to make good the wall on the left holding the door frame. ;)

CIMG0349.jpg

New wall at balcony all up. Looking good! :good:

CIMG0347.jpg

Dry kitchen looks nice with the new windows up. (Wonders when that wall will be tiled up... :rolleyes: )

CIMG0355.jpg

Wet kitchen finally starts on tiling. The area where this redundant rubbish chute used to be is also tiled up. The new frames for the windows are installed but windows yet to go up. It's a wet night tonight. Hope the wet kitchen won't be flooded! :P

Notice the wooden ladder contraption in the last photo? It's simply a wooden plank with ladder-like legs screwed at the sides. It's very flimsy but somehow the uncles balance on it with ease. Mind you, the legs are not always equally slanted at the same angles. Sometimes one can be slanted 45 degrees, while the other is at 90 degrees! I really am very amazed how the uncles use this contraption and still do their work so skillfully! :bow:

you're so diligent to go to your reno site daily and post photos daily. they are making good progress, it always feels good to see new things being donegood.gif

the toilet windows look like robot eyes looking at you! wink.gif

Thanks sleek! Good for my brothers and relatives who want to know what goes on, on a daily basis! :)

I try to go up everyday cos we have such a tight schedule. Best to nip any problem in the butt asap. So far it has proven fruitful cos the uncles can clarify with me on the spot instead of asking their boss who asks my ID who asks me.

Come to think of it, that whole pic looks like its face! :P The cement screed on the left looks like its hair. Hahaha! :lol:

It's going to be a wet night tonight. Hope the rain doesn't enter the wet kitchen where the windows are not up yet! :unsure:

Nah, no worries! The rain left as quickly as it came! Everything should be just fine! *fingers crossed* :good:

Edited by silversurf

Nah, no worries! The rain left as quickly as it came! Everything should be just fine! *fingers crossed* :good:

Yeah.. I guess we have no choice too. Balcony no windows.. That part of the living is rather tricky with the windows. Now that the new wall is up, hopefully they can finally take measurements for the new window and soon that area will be shielded from the rain too! :P

Yeah.. I guess we have no choice too. Balcony no windows.. That part of the living is rather tricky with the windows. Now that the new wall is up, hopefully they can finally take measurements for the new window and soon that area will be shielded from the rain too! :P

If the rain goes in, isn't it a good sign...yau soi :sport-smiley-004:

If the rain enters the balcony while only cement screed is left on your flooring i.e. without tiling, then there's a high chance that the unit below would start leaking when the puddle of water left in the balcony seeps through raw cement screed & finally give way at the ceiling of the unit below.

This was what happened to us when the unit above ours renovated & their renovator were neligent enough to leave windows open overnight. A heavy downpour took place straight through the night, and we woke up to a "rainy" balcony the following morning.

But I trust that u're in good hands becox your reno seems to be moving really fast & smoothly :D

Edited by edenstrauss

Haha! Thanks pebbles and eden :D

Went up to the place today and all seems fine. Nothing looked exceptionally damp or soaked through. :thumbs up:

Looking forward to the renovation works continuing tomorrow! ;)

MICRO TOILETS!!! ARGHHHH!!!!

Jon

Yah man.... I was having trouble with my toilet at the common area. Initially wanted to put the sink outside of the toilet but decided to keep everything in.

I think I need to lose some weight to fit in there :bangwall:

How's your reno? Went up a few times to see your place cos I love your view! :P

• The sink piping for my Kitchen Counter was planned running the wrong way, therefore we have to hack the kitchen base & part of the living parquet in order to rectify... @#%)#@@$()#)%@#%(&@#
  • The 2 ugly 23 year old door frames for Master & Bedroom 3 can ACTUALLY be changed! Previous Shiity Lady say cannot! But contractor said "Why Cannot????"
  • I have successfully CONCEALED all the piping in my Master Bedroom Toilet! Will show you once done!

Door frames definitely can change but I do know some will tell you the older frames are better quality and they will suggest you keep it :dunno:

The ugly pipings in our toilets will also be concealed except the one at the common area cos the toilet is already so puny!

Oh Yes...

Have you decided on your Aircon Systems & How to run the trunking?

This is a PITA! I don't understand why we cannot conceal the trunking in the walls????

The aircon is gonna cost a bomb man...

Oh and can you share how much did your windows costs? The Shiity Lady charged me $6K approx.... & I feel the quality of the windows SUCKS!

Jon

Yeah, the aircon guy came and we discussed about the trunking. HDB is known for not allowing this and that... Bleah.... The most you can do is to run the trunking below a beam and paint over it so it looks like part of the wall. You doing aircon for whole house?

You changed all your windows including toilets? We did. Pricing about there too ~$6k. White powder coated ones. Should be the same yah since that's the norm now. Quality still not too bad. We're quite happy with it.

When will you be at the house again? Let me know. See if can arrange to meet up. Then you can show me your grievances with the leftover s**t she left you :P Cheer up meantime - you have a new contractor whom i'm sure will definitely do a better job than her! :yamseng:

Edited by schiz0id

MORE CEMENT WORKS

CIMG0369.jpg

Cement screed on the new wall at Dining area.

CIMG0360.jpg

First layer of cement screed going up on my younger brother's walls. With the new door frame and new wall above it.

CIMG0363.jpg

First layer of cement screed in my room looking dry and dandy. Waiting for the next layer! ;)

CIMG0364.jpg

The last area to be levelled at the balcony area is done. Cement screed on the parapet and the walls also done! :good: This uncle really works very fast and his workmanship is quite good. The blocks on the floor are strategically placed to help the wire net sit nicely under the cement. The wire nets were a lil rolled up at the ends thus this was necessary.

[in all my past houses that i've stayed in, I must say this is the ONLY house I'm going to stay in where the store room actually has a nicer view than the bedrooms! :bangwall: ]

Was treated to an interesting "show" today when two uncles used a loooong hose (3/4 filled with water) to take levelling measurements around the house. I was very intrigued, cos as old school as it may be, it was very fast and presumably accurate I guess. Would have taken pics to show the process but I was just amazed at how these uncles could use simple science to help them take measurements! I was literally following them around like this :jawdrop: the whole time! [Disclaimer: This is not my bimbo moment! I am always fascinated by the uncles' ingenuity!]

Edited by schiz0id

MORE TILING

CIMG0370.jpg

Tiling at dry kitchen finally completed with the wall done, together with the wall where the fridge is going to be! :sport-smiley-004:

CIMG0373.jpg

Wall tiling for my toilet is all done! Looking good! :yeah:

Finally got approval to widen our main door! Time to start on those floor tiles soon!! :jammin:

oooh, everything looks so nicely done up even though reno is not completed yet. And with such good speed! :good:

I thought that the sizing of the main door is standardised? I didn't know that widening of the main doorway could be approved! :unsure: