Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
schiz0id

The One With The Gargantuan Task

sport-smiley-004.gif the fancy digital display of my current washing machine is always getting spoilt, caused by just a tiny contact point, and the repairman from the company that brings in these washing machines say that it is a common problem. so tell your mum not to fret and soon all can enjoy her goodies from her lovely new oven :)

The feedback from my tiler when we were discussing some other tiling issues was he would prefer smaller tiles for kitchen and bathroom floor tiles as those are easier to lay for the slight sloping gradient for water to drain. LOL he shook his head and said in hokkien too big when he asked us if those were our kitchen and bathroom tiles (we chose the 30x 60 rectangle tiles). oh well, it's a good way to test his skill! bleah.gif

Hmmmm... we are planning to get a Bosch washing machine. Can't remember if it has a digital display. Okay, I'll be sure to take note. Thanks for the heads up! :good:

Initially I was also quite puzzled why the tiler will tell me they like huge slabs. Especially for wall tiles! To me, I'd think it's heavy to lift it up cos they are so huge! We got the 45 x 90 slabs somemore :jawdrop: (jus checked the sample for the dimensions). Oh well, I'll be sure to see if they need more than 1 person to lay the wall tiles in the kitchen :P

Edited by schiz0id

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hey archenemy,

Great to see you here! :)

Haha, yesh... our dear fren so far so good. Hope he keeps up with the pace! :P Will be watching him closely for the next month or so!

i have confidence in him....he wont let you down!

* i better whatsapp him and poke him a bit also..haha!*

i have confidence in him....he wont let you down!

* i better whatsapp him and poke him a bit also..haha!*

Haha, I hope he delivers! :P

Yah, thanks! Then he'll feel the stressss :D

FZ62C1_IX.jpg

Ariston Oven (Self-cleaning. Would've opted for the one with digital display but double the price of this! :( )

Great choice for oven :good: same like mine, bought it 7yrs ago and still using it...my mom bought hers 13yrs ago...and still in good condition ;)

Great choice for oven :good: same like mine, bought it 7yrs ago and still using it...my mom bought hers 13yrs ago...and still in good condition ;)

Thanks for that Lady R! ;) Hope ours will last as long as yours and your mum's! :D

HACKING CONTINUES...

It's Day 4 of Renovations! And the hacking continues! ;)

CIMG0131.jpg

First up, my room wall being hacked to extend out to dining. Hack hack hack! :good: It's also a "now you see it..."

CIMG0134.jpg

"... now you don't" moment. Wall between mine and bro's room also hack hack hack! :good: :good: (if only my room were that big... :sport-smiley-004: )

CIMG0135.jpg

My parents' room wall also hacked to make space for new wardrobe space. Mum is all :D :D

CIMG0171.jpg

Open concept kitchen! With this wall gone, mum seems to complain less about her dry kitchen. ;) It does make the kitchen look bigger and brighter!

CIMG0177.jpg

Wall and cabinet between dry/wet kitchen hacked. Wet kitchen seems that teeeeny weeeeeny bit bigger. :P See the hanging switch? That's where the old cabinet used to extend out to.

HACKING CONTINUES...

CIMG0172.jpg

Open concept balcony, anyone? :P Grilles gone (Tiler uncle says so sayang cos he liked the grilles.. :unsure: ) The wall holding the switchboard and the hanging switch also hacked!

CIMG0180.jpg

There used to be a puny wall here. Now hacked to make way for a big store room.

Most of the hacking works are done (95%). Left one or two small sections of walls pending approval. Hope to get all those "knock knock" works out of the way before the end of the week. :)

TILING PREPARATION

While the workers were hacking, the tiler uncles came today and started preparing for their impending tasks at hand.

CIMG0169.jpg

The bathrooms can soon see tiles on them! (I hope..) :thumbs up:

Really hoping the works can continue this pace. Will be holding my breath till handover day! :sport-smiley-018:

No updates yesterday cos we were "locked out" of our new place. The combination lock malfunctioned. Tiler uncle had to saw the lock this morning in order to get in. This is the progress of works so far...

MASONRY

CIMG0170.jpg

View of BR3 from BR4 before the debris was removed.

CIMG0194.jpg

Same view after wall dividing both rooms erected. My new wardrobe wall is also up (on the right).

CIMG0185.jpg

View of Study (Left) - Lines were in place to aid erection of new wardrobe wall for my parents.

CIMG0186.jpg

View of Study (Right) - New wall here to seal off the original kitchen entrance.

CIMG0196.jpg

View of Study - In less than a day, both walls were up! :good:

They had many people working on our unit at any one time. Hope this keeps up! :sport-smiley-004:

TILING BEGINS!

The tilers managed to do quite a bit of tiling with all 3 toilets today.

CIMG0193.jpg

My brothers' toilet. Feature wall not in the centre because there is a sink on the right. Feature wall will house the shower system.

CIMG0198.jpg

Common toilet at kitchen. In case you're wondering why the opening is so big, it's cos the toilet door will be relocated, so they had to hack off some of the wall. :P

CIMG0197.jpg

My parents' toilet. The shower part is almost all tiled up. The pipes on the right are to hold the wall tiles above the door opening.

Hope there'll be more progress tomorrow! :sport-smiley-003: Stay tuned! ;)

Whoa things are moving really fast for u buddy! :thumbs up:

I don't think u need to sweat or worry when it comes to finishing the race in time! Everything should be moving on really smoothly now that your renovator seems to be moving pretty fast. I think your flat would be completed definitely before christmas. Isn't that great? :D

It was alot better than some of those lousy renovators who drag their feet in delivering renovation! :curse:

Whoa things are moving really fast for u buddy! :thumbs up:

I don't think u need to sweat or worry when it comes to finishing the race in time! Everything should be moving on really smoothly now that your renovator seems to be moving pretty fast. I think your flat would be completed definitely before christmas. Isn't that great? :D

It was alot better than some of those lousy renovators who drag their feet in delivering renovation! :curse:

Hey thanks eden! ;)

He needs to handover to me by end of November. Else I'll have to live on the streets :P

Hopefully his pace continues... *nail biting!* :huh:

TILING

Tiling started in the kitchen today. Just when I said the pace was going well, today we had half the number of uncles on-site. :( Hope tomorrow we will pick up same pace as the past week! :sport-smiley-004:

CIMG0203.jpg

Tiling at the Dry Kitchen area. The hole there is where the rubbish chute is. The other chute on the opposite end will be covered with plywood since we aren't allowed to use it. :rolleyes: Can you see where the strings are? There will be a new L-shaped wall erected here to shield the wet kitchen from the toilet door.

CIMG0219.jpg

Close-up view of the tiles. These are the most expensive tiles of the lot! Well, better on the wall (at eye level) than picking nice tiles for floor where we will be stepping. Ha! :P But I do love the bedroom floor tiles too. Oops! :lol:

CIMG0200.jpg

Tiling is completed on the right side of the Dry Kitchen wall. Yup! That's the only part that's tiled on this side of our dry kitchen cos we are having full-height cabinets here! :good: It's rounded at the edge to avoid any sharp corner.

CIMG0226.jpg

Close-up view of the rounded edge. (Another excuse to show the kitchen wall tile :P ) Can you tell how much we love it? :dancingqueen:

This is for the kitchen so far. They should be tiling the wet kitchen tomorrow. *fingers crossed* :D

Edited by schiz0id

OTHER UPDATES

Cement screed went up on a few places today.

CIMG0208.jpg

One side of the study wall is done. Hope they can do the other side tomorrow so we can start plastering! ;)

CIMG0210.jpg

Even-ing out the floor to prepare for the foam boards at the entrance foyer. (Don't think they'll be doing the floor so soon since they need to finish building up the new walls and putting up the wall tiles. :unsure:

CIMG0225.jpg

A different view of my new wardrobe wall and the wall between my bro's room and my room. Mum's concerned the new wall is too near the dining windows. Hope when the curtains are up there, it will be much nicer! ;) (Walls not completed cos they ran out of hollow blocks! All 400 of them! Had to order another 170. :o )

CIMG0213.jpg

Door frames delivered today! I love the smell of freshly saw-ed wood. :good:

Really hope we pick up the pace tomorrow. 4 more weeks to completion! :blink:

EXTRANEOUS

WARNING : For those who don't like to have anything to do with rubbish chutes, please avoid this post.

For those of you who are like me and always wondered what the inside of the rubbish chute looks like, enjoy the following pictures! :sport-smiley-004:

Okay, so the story goes that the tiler uncle had to remove the rubbish chute to do tiling around the area. After he was done, holding my trusty and hardy camera, I decided to do some sleuthing at where else, but the rubbish chute shaft to satisfy my curiosity on what our average rubbish chute looks like. :D Seeing how 4 units on the same stack (using the same shaft) are unoccupied, it seemed like the best time since it wasn't going to be so smelly when I poked around. :P Mind you, my head didn't go in, just my hand with my camera slung snugly round my wrist. :rolleyes:

So here goes...

CIMG0222.jpg

This is what the rubbish chute looks like from the inside of the shaft. (Courtesy of my untouched rubbish chute on the opposite side)

CIMG0224.jpg

It seems a looooong way up to the top since it looks pretty dark. You can still see the different chutes peeking out from regular intervals, though not very clear.

CIMG0221.jpg

I found this photo most intriguing simply because the bin looks quite small. The chutes must be quite cleverly designed to have the rubbish "aim" nicely into what seems like a rather puny bin. :P

Okay, just thought I'd share something that I've always wondered and since I won't wait by the bottom of the shaft to ask the refuse uncle to let me poke my head in to look up (nor do I think I can tahan the stench :P ), this is the best way to find out! :D