Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
MsChoong

Id Or Contractor

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Are you going to renovate your flat?

Have you gotten keys to your flat already? Is your flat newly acquired from HDB or resale?

What's your budget for renovation? etc etc...

U would need to be more specific with your questions when you asked about the advantage & disadvantage of engaging IDs & contractors.

otherwise, most of us on renotalk would find your questions very vague (i.e. not clear).

Edited by edenstrauss

Hi,

I am getting my key on mid Nov. It is a resale 3rm flat located at Tampines.

Thinking of changing:-

kitchen + living room floor tiles

kitchen cabinet

painting work

feature wall

TV console

I need everything done before Christmas.

I would like to change all doors, 2 bathrooms and false ceiling + all lightings, but guess do not have enough budget to do so much thing.

Therefore, since last month, I almost logged in everyday, looking for new topics. Actually, I did visit some of the ID firm. To me, they are rather too good in sales talk and the price diff is so much. Some forumers say contractor is much cheaper but USE at your own risk...haha...

At the end of day, I think I will engage an ID to coordinate all the reno works(although I had an unpleasant experince on my previous reno at my old house couple of years ago). Since I still have a month time to go, I will keep seaching for new thing..

:yamseng:

My previous ID was a very friendly and helpful guy and very easy to communicate as well (otherwise, I wouldn't have engage him to do my first reno). The only issue was, he's too busy!

We need to book him few days in advance even for small touch up and through out the whole process, I need to monitor myself. So, this time round, I would ask how many site does the ID has engaged and how frequent is the Site Superviison. If the ID answer me that he is currently engaging 3-4 sites, I will give it a pass.

edenstrauss, may I know what is your view?

Hhaahahahahha that's what most pple think. Use id doesnt mean he'll coordinate everything swee swee for u. Go read this forum fully, got tons of horror stories from id n contractor alike.

Using id or contractor, one will still need to continuously check on progress. U only r paying more for id becoz he's able to better coordinate the design element n choice of materials. That really is it. N yes most ids got very good sales talk

My previous ID was a very friendly and helpful guy and very easy to communicate as well (otherwise, I wouldn't have engage him to do my first reno). The only issue was, he's too busy!

We need to book him few days in advance even for small touch up and through out the whole process, I need to monitor myself. So, this time round, I would ask how many site does the ID has engaged and how frequent is the Site Superviison. If the ID answer me that he is currently engaging 3-4 sites, I will give it a pass.

edenstrauss, may I know what is your view?

Hi MsChoong,

if budget is an issue, do u want to consider dropping an ID & using a contractor instead?

However, some contractors like mine (Ah Cheong) doesn't come cheap too becox they produce very good workmanship. U might want to take a look at his workmanship for demolishing works & wall fabrication of my flat at this thread:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40463&st=0&p=634826&fromsearch=1entry634826

Hey but I thought that u mentioned that u were having some issues with the previous ID for your existing flat? If u were having such issues, then u might want to look elsewhere.

to add on, ID is supposed to design your flat & coordinate every single thing to get his design translated into reality for your home.

As for contractors, they don't do designing but would simply do what you want them to do & get it done. Unless you want to DIY your own design which is risky especially when that's not your profession, some contractors would report to IDs whom they cooperated with & do what the ID tell them to do.

From our own perspective as a home owner, we would rather get a good contractor than pay alot of $$ for an ID but getting saddled with lot's of workmanship issues with our flat. That could turn out to be a nightmare like what arowana has highlighted.

At the end of the day, the decision lies with you home owners.

Hhaahahahahha that's what most pple think. Use id doesnt mean he'll coordinate everything swee swee for u. Go read this forum fully, got tons of horror stories from id n contractor alike.

Using id or contractor, one will still need to continuously check on progress. U only r paying more for id becoz he's able to better coordinate the design element n choice of materials. That really is it. N yes most ids got very good sales talk

I just need someone which can provide full service on my house.

Just like you undergo an operation, surgeon ought to take care everything right? Can't be like you get up half way and ask him how is everything going on... :sport-smiley-004:

Hi MsChoong,

if budget is an issue, do u want to consider dropping an ID & using a contractor instead?

However, some contractors like mine (Ah Cheong) doesn't come cheap too becox they produce very good workmanship. U might want to take a look at his workmanship for demolishing works & wall fabrication of my flat at this thread:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40463&st=0&p=634826&fromsearch=1entry634826

Hey but I thought that u mentioned that u were having some issues with the previous ID for your existing flat? If u were having such issues, then u might want to look elsewhere.

Thanks for your concern.

I never went back to that ID.

to add on, ID is supposed to design your flat & coordinate every single thing to get his design translated into reality for your home.

As for contractors, they don't do designing but would simply do what you want them to do & get it done. Unless you want to DIY your own design which is risky especially when that's not your profession, some contractors would report to IDs whom they cooperated with & do what the ID tell them to do.

From our own perspective as a home owner, we would rather get a good contractor than pay alot of $$ for an ID but getting saddled with lot's of workmanship issues with our flat. That could turn out to be a nightmare like what arowana has highlighted.

At the end of the day, the decision lies with you home owners.

Hi edenstrauss,

If that the case, I have to source tiles contractor, carpentry contractor, painting contractor....etc??

*faint... :bangwall:

Yeah...IDs are good in sales talk.

Just now, I called a contractor (carpentry) from JB. He is not good in sales talk but super diffcult to communicate lo..I tell him A he answer me B...Like chicken and duck..haha

I am not trying to criticize anyone..just to share.

Hi edenstrauss,

If that the case, I have to source tiles contractor, carpentry contractor, painting contractor....etc??

*faint... :bangwall:

U have misinterpreted what I'm suggesting.

"CONTRACTOR" is defined as a main contractor, meaning that instead of using an ID which is going to cost you alot more, I'm suggesting that you engage a contractor who provides renovation for your entire flat.

I'm not recommending that you go for ala-carte services such that you have to call up different parties to deal with different aspects of your renovation. If you are able to do that, you're already close to becoming an ID & trust me, if you are going to do that, it can end up being a killer becox it's extremely stressful.

"CONTRACTOR" is defined as a main contractor, meaning that instead of using an ID which is going to cost you alot more, I'm suggesting that you engage a contractor who provides renovation for your entire flat.

I'm not recommending that you go for ala-carte services such that you have to call up different parties to deal with different aspects of your renovation. If you are able to do that, you're already close to becoming an ID & trust me, if you are going to do that, it can end up being a killer becox it's extremely stressful.

AGREE!!! which is what we're doing now.. u have a lot of headache as we are not professionals. better get a main con to do the co-ordination. Otherwise, every tiny little thing u need to be there. for e.g. false ceiling (x 2 quotes), plumbing (x2 quotes), electrical, carpentry, wet works. And on top of that design. So you end up wasting a lot of precious wkends that u could have been doing something else... Just get a trustworthy guy that u can go to for anything! much easier. my 2 cents worth.. :)

Oohh... Now I get it.

Haha...I thougt I have to contact them one by one!

AGREE!!! which is what we're doing now.. u have a lot of headache as we are not professionals. better get a main con to do the co-ordination. Otherwise, every tiny little thing u need to be there. for e.g. false ceiling (x 2 quotes), plumbing (x2 quotes), electrical, carpentry, wet works. And on top of that design. So you end up wasting a lot of precious wkends that u could have been doing something else... Just get a trustworthy guy that u can go to for anything! much easier. my 2 cents worth.. :)

May I ask is the progress smooth??