Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Ks Toh

Fujioh Ariafina Betta Bt-900 Cooker Hood

This forum had been very useful when I was looking for renovation ideas for my new place, but when I tried to search for information on the Fujioh Ariafina Betta BT-900 cooker hood, there was very little information, some of which were inaccurate. Hence, I write this report to share my experience. Apologies for the length.

For many years, I had been using an Elba cooker hood with suction capacity of around 700 m3/hr in a ventilation mode. It was satisfactory but from experience, I realized that something stronger in the region of 1000 m3/hr would be much better. So, last December I walked into this big hardware store in IMM above Best Denki and asked for a cooker hood with strong suction power in the region of 1000 m3/hr and above. One stout gentleman pointed me to the Fujioh range. I asked for the most powerful model and he brought me to the Fujioh upper end Ariafina range. I settled on the Ariafina Betta BT-900. List price $1,680.00.

I was shown various brochures and certificates showing how good the hood was. I was specifically told that this model will capture almost 100% of the smoke and fumes from all directions when used in ventilation mode and about 90% of the same when used in recycling mode. I paused to explain that recycling mode means the exhaust air is being channeled back into the kitchen by means of an L or T shaped duct, whilst in ventilation mode, the exhaust air goes straight up and out of the kitchen.

I asked about the suction power in terms of m3/hr but I was told Fujioh does not measure in terms of m3/hr. Anyway, if one is told that the hood will capture almost 100% of the smoke and fumes from all directions, what can possibly go wrong, right? Is there another hood that can capture more than 100%?

The hood was installed early this year, in ventilation mode. Almost immediately, my maid complained that the hood was not sucking out the fumes as well as my old hood, resulting in the floor being oily after every cooking. There is some disagreement over what happened next, but eventually, Fujioh sent a technical consultant to my place. However, he proclaimed that the suction power normal.

It was only at this time that I discovered the Ariafina Betta BT-900 actually had a suction power of only 470 m3/hr in circulation mode and 530 m3/hr in ventilation mode. Why this information was not disclosed to me at the time of purchase when I expressly asked for it, I do not know. When I checked around with other makers, they stated it should normally be around 1000 m3/hr for their chimney models.

I was so fed up with Fujiohs attitude over this matter that I filed a claim. For technical reasons, the claim had to be made against the shop. Fujiohs technical consultant gave evidence for the shop. Both of them gave all sorts of excuses and reasons (too lengthy to report here) but the long and short of it is that after a full hearing this morning, the court ruled in my favour and ordered the shop to refund me the sum of $1,211.60 (pro-rated from my actual purchase price). They are also to come collect back the Ariafina Betta.

A few lessons from this which I want to share:

1. If suction power is important to you, especially when you are using in ventilation mode, do not be persuaded by claims that the product captures almost 100% of smoke and fumes from all directions. Check the actual suction power in terms of m3/hr. If you are using in recycling mode, then I have no comments. Perhaps, in this mode, suction power may not be as important.

2. In Court, the Fujioh technical consultant (who told me he was formerly from SISIR) surprised everybody when he admitted that contrary to the claim that the Ariafina Betta BT-900 captures almost 100% of smoke and fumes in ventilation mode, and about 90% in recycling mode, the actual capture is only 80 to 90% in ventilation mode, and less than 80% in recycling mode.

3. Some of you heard there is SISIR certification. But I have examined the certificate displayed at the shop. It is printed on Fujioh letterhead. I have never seen any SISIR certificate. Anyway, SISIR merged with NPB to form PSB in 1996 and integrated with the German company TUV SUD in 2006 to become TUV SUD PSB. Any SISIR certificate issued must have been for a cooker hood at least 15 years old!

4. The much touted oil tray in the hood which is supposed to collect oil does not collect oil AT ALL, in my case. The oil is everywhere but in the tray. When I asked the Fujioh technical consultant, he said this is normal. He said it will only collect a certain type of oil. I thought it was a joke.

5. The stout man at the shop seemed to be like the shop manager. He attended to me, negotiated the price, issued the invoice and collected payment from me. Now I learned that he is in fact a Fujioh employee. Next time, if someone at the shop tries to push you some brand, you must check if he is really an employee of the shop or sales promoter for that brand. If the latter, you may need to be on guard for any biased advice.

Anyway, the above is my story. Your experience may be different.

Edited by kstoh

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Ouch! That was awful to hear. I've always tried to research well before buying an equipment like this 'cos companies usually put "profits" ahead of customers and they don't always want to deal with a problem.

I wonder how much of what the technical guy said, is true... :(

But thanks for telling us. :) And now, crossing my fingers 'cos my family just bought a Fujioh Fx900 hood, some stove and also an oven.

Edited by mindym

For the FX900, the Fujioh brochure claims a fumes absorption level of 83% recycling and over 83% ventilating. Are you using recycling or ventilating mode? If recycling, the hood may be fine even if I doubt the 83% claimed.

But report back on oil collection in the oil tray. Because mine collects absolutely no oil.

My Fujioh hob is fine. No complaints.

Ouch! That was awful to hear. I've always tried to research well before buying an equipment like this 'cos companies usually put "profits" ahead of customers and they don't always want to deal with a problem.

I wonder how much of what the technical guy said, is true... :(

But thanks for telling us. :) And now, crossing my fingers 'cos my family just bought a Fujioh Fx900 hood, some stove and also an oven.

How's your experience with the Fujioh FX900 kitchen hood?

Please do share with us.

thanks in advance!

I am convincing by this Fujioh AriaFina advisement Japan award “Good Design” model FD-900 V. Luckily I happen to reach your forum. Thank you for sharing your bad experience that goes through.