Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Bloom

Blooming

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

It has been a long and challenging journey. I am happy that I am reaching the end of the tunnel very soon. Going to post some random photos…

Do t-blogs get deleted if it is not updated after some time?

I don't think so.... All tblog should be here, but sometimes is the setting where default is only showing tblog been active in the last 90 days.

Nice pic of toilet!

It is possible to save $$$ on the kitchen with a little research & some coordination. The 3 main components of a kitchen works are (1) carpentry for the frame, (2) interior fittings/system for storage organisation (e.g. bl*m, haf*le) and (3) working surface (e.g. soild surface).

I made some savings on all 3 although not to the maximum possible. Looking at the savings that one can potentially get makes me want to set up a “gr*upon” concept company for renovation. The industry has some “heavily guarded” secrets that should not be discussed openly. Therefore, I shall only share the principles for each component.

Carpentry – Go Direct

:good: Potential savings: between 10 to 25%

This is an easy way to save $ and to retain control, especially if you are into DIY, doing without a contractor or ID. If you know what you want and can draw a simple diagram to explain that, then going direct to the carpenter will save you $. I was told by an ID that the cost price (i.e. before profit) is around $70/sqfr but I don’t know how true that is. I really think it should be lower.

A note on cabinet drawers: There is an additional charge of ~$20 for each drawer. Therefore, if you love drawers like me, make sure it’s at least 80cm wide. Otherwise, it’s really not worth the extra charge since there are at least 2 rows of drawers in each "column", and the fittings system can still be ex after savings. Remember to check with the fittings system’s specs to determine the maximum width allowed.

FYI, some carpenters charge slightly more for their quality workmanship and the premium laminates used. However, they usually absorb GST, that’s an immediate savings of 7%!

Interior fittings/system – Be your own middleman

Potential savings: :good::good:

By interior fittings/system, I am referring to the hardware of the kitchen cabinet – hinge, drawer pull out, soft close, etc. I thought the only possible way to save $ was to go for a lower end brand or the entry level range of reputable brands. But I was pleasantly surprised.

It is known that these hardware companies give discounts to contractors, IDs and carpenters. It would be great if contractors/IDs/carpenters could extend or share these discounts with their customers. I read that a forummer got his FOC from his ID. So, there’s no harm asking! :P

Some hardware companies have distributors. Distributors welcome business from home owners. Go for those that do not distinguish the walk-ins (whether walk-ins are contractor$/carpenter$ or home owner$).

With a minimum purchase, distributors can deliver goods FOC to the factory where the cabinets are fabricated. It sounds like a great idea to avoid the hassle of coordination but it is not really a good one. The point is, the contractor/ID/carpenter must think that you are buying direct from the parent company.