Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

i got quote for just doing 3 toilets and piping already 20k over..not even by id..

Hi split84

In order to know if you have a good reasonable charges in the pricing quoted is to suggest a template. In this template shall list down the exact details,

1. Waterproofing cost.

2. How the glass shower cubicle to be position and constructed. The spec. Eg length x width x height x thickness of the glass supplied

3. types of tiles

4. how much is the tiles supplied eg $x per sq ft

5. Stainless steel piping cost

6. Type of door used eg bifold type or PD door or sandblast door.

7 vanity top eg solid surface or granite top and how much per ft run.

8. Basin cabinet carpentry cost per ft run

9. Labour cost to install the WC, basin and stand shower hardware.

10.Hacking cost to remove the old tiles, WC fixtures and cabinets.

11 etc

12. Etc

13. Etc

With the template shall forward to at least 3 contractors to quote.

This method shall be a apple to apple comparison and straight away you can decide whom is giving you the most reasonable pricing.

This template is to minimize debate that he quoted more is because he is giving high price tiles or the design of shower cubicle is different or bigger.... Etc etc

Hopes my suggestion helps your suspicions on the quoted pricing...

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Yes, i do agree with Bento. Never pay any deposit unless u wan to commit. And there is some firm who wan u to pay deposit to view ur 3D. Try to find those who give free one. Like my friend case, engaged a firm to do his 4 room end up only have 3D for kitchen and only limited to change 2 times, if wan c more have to pay $50 per 3D. Alamak what is this.

I came across a contractor whom has mentioned that he has to pay someone to do up the 3D for him.... And is not cheap to pay the 3D....something like $50 to $80 per 3D...

I told him why not purchase a software and DIY. He mentioned that he is not IT savvy that he does not know how to draw the 3D by himself....so he has no choice but to get someone to do it and he shall try to transfer the cost to the owner.... Unless the deal is confirmed...

There was once I was at expo home show that an ID company insist a 2K deposit.... This to include the preliminary 3D pics and their ID design and site visit. The 2K is non-refundable if the contract is not confirmed...

I was told for rewiring anything below 4k should be made from china-made materials which will cause alot prob in next 2-3 years. In fact most old flats/houses have better quality than today's. this person told me his old house never give him any prob but his new house keep giving him prob.

Anyone expertise in this care to share?

Yap. Was advised the same by my ID too. Nowadays china made products always raise questions. Some are true, some are not. My wires will stay. :rolleyes:

Really... I'm at 237

Me and my wife nearly committed to cov of 190k sometime in Apr 2012 at your block. Haha. Maybe then, I will hold record temporarily. I must say your block and it's surroundings are hot now. That's way there a a few units for sale recently. :thumbs up:

Yap. Was advised the same by my ID too. Nowadays china made products always raise questions. Some are true, some are not. My wires will stay. :rolleyes:

Hi Ken Lui

how old is your EM? :)

Hi Ken Lui

how old is your EM? :)

Hi spikedoll, mine according to valuation report TOP in 1992. As such, should be 20 years old ba. Located Hougang Ave 10 opposite the Punggol Park. All my transactions, I.e. Buy/sell completed recently nia, between Aug and Sep this year.

Was told my EM is one of the youngest batch in Hougang. It is a Gen 2. What I learn to identify through the knowledge pass on by the forum here. :thumbs up:

Now, going on major overhaul. Will post pics when successfully executed. I committed a hefty sum on overhaul. Using ID. Open concept kitchen with tampered glass to create the Din Tai Feng effect, :dribble: island hood, bar counter using black galaxy etc. Keeping My fingers crossed.

To me, the completed must be at least 95% similar to the 3D pics. Pics can look impressive. But the outcome to me more important. As 3D was before the actual, some minor adjustments had to be made. Nonetheless, wait and see the results in early Dec loh.

So far progress not mad. Slightly ahead of schedule. ID committed to complete in 2 months time. As such, concurrent works on several assignments ongoing.

Btw, I sheltered the balcony to create concealed storage space and for washing machine near to the rubbish chute. The utility room which was hacked by the previous owner will be restored through the use of built in cabinets instead of normal building materials.

See how it goes for now.

So far so good. Shall wait and see.

Will keep you posted on the

Paid a lot. Don't want headache.

Edited by KenLui

Hi ken lui

Is it near Buangkok area? :) haha we do have similar idea of " din tai Fung" effect ! Do update with your Reno progress.. Love to see transformation of EM :)

Hi ken lui

Is it near Buangkok area? :) haha we do have similar idea of " din tai Fung" effect ! Do update with your Reno progress.. Love to see transformation of EM :)

Hi spikedoll, yap. The 400+ series.

Bought it based on low COV and able to perform major overhaul to suit my wife's style and taste contrary to forking out at least 100k for EMs in Serangoon central area and the kovan, Hougang st 21 area.

Just inspected the place. WIP still satisfactory. Should be able to complete within two months as promised by ID.

Wish u luck for your renovations too.

:thumbs up:

Hi spikedoll, yap. The 400+ series.

Bought it based on low COV and able to perform major overhaul to suit my wife's style and taste contrary to forking out at least 100k for EMs in Serangoon central area and the kovan, Hougang st 21 area.

Just inspected the place. WIP still satisfactory. Should be able to complete within two months as promised by ID.

Wish u luck for your renovations too.

:thumbs up:

Nowadays, all the EMs asking for sky rocket COV. Been to a quite a few EMs before I commit to the one I bought. My focus was initially at Serangoon central and Kovan. The owners asking for at least 100k. That was in mar to may period. Must say those with such cov are really well renovated. Nearly committed to one at Blk 237 kovan. Cov 190k. In may this year. Gave up the idea after much consideration. There was one at Blk 423 Serangoon central done deal at 110k. Gave up as I have offered 100k. Max budget for me then. in Apr.

After much thinking, gave up and commit to my current unit.

With all the recent news on EMs being limited edition.

No regrets for me. Imagine if I had waited. Difficult to get EM. Now. Difficult to bridge sellers and buyers expectations and budgets.

So your decision to commit is wise. Some more Bishan.

:yamseng:

Going through rectification and it didn't seem to end. Does anyone have any experience of changing certain strips of parquet? Is it true that any warping (sinking in of surface) is due to the old and new parquet? Advise pls.

An area of 2m x 2m parquet was replaced due to previous owner allowed it to rot!

So far it is nicely done. No uneven surfaces. Only occassionally creaking sound when I step on some after they had been revarnish. Currently, most in order

May i know opinion from dear EM owners here..what are ur views say....would rather do a major overhaul since u have the $$ now and do a major overhaul for the EM unit now.. which May in future bring up the value of the unit ...with now EM are becoming more in demand...however , the future meaning to say unit will then be 30+ years old and above...

Or would rather make do with the current unit condition and/or do only the necessary reno..

Just curious.. as i tend to have other people commenting... wht bother to do so much when u can save $$... :D dunno if this question sounds silly...but yea... ;)

The bottom line is all abt budget, if within the budget and able to do a overhaul then y not...u r going to live in the hse for aleast 5yrs so 5yrs of nice env. n not fearing of things falling apart during tat period is worth the $$...taking into consideration tat money will only get smaller & things getting more ex.....2013 coming can foresee that reno prices will go up again...n im geeting the keys next yr :dunno:

Hi all,

Anyone residing in yishun? What are the costs for a full overhaul? (with ID)

My recent quotation for electrical points alone is $4900 for the whole house, and the cost for the window (white powder coating with blue tint casement type for all rooms except level 1 dining room and bedroom- white powder coating with blue frost film for privacy for bedroom and mirror film for dining: sliding type) and window grilles plus the door gate is just below 3k. Is it considered expensive?

And for those who have/had engaged IDs, do they provide you the cost per ft run for hacking/waterproofing/labour etc?

For service yards, what is the most cost effective and practical to install in the area? I've seen roller shutters, awnings, openable roofing systems... first choice would be the openable roofing system, but it is not within our budget. I like having the option of being able to open up the area rather than having it sealed up with roofing tiles... :unsure:

Appreciate all the help I can get! Thanks in advance!

I installed fixed lourves above my service yard, it is certainly not the most pretty but it's cost effective and practical. Two of my condensers are already hanging up there so the view is already blocked I figured might as well install that so that the rain is blocked out but there is still ventilation. Helps that it is fairly cheap too compared to other solutions.