Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
dapliew

Our New Home

how do the cables interconnect? is there a central node?

That depends on you. Simple solution, buy 12/16 ports switch, place it at the location where your NAS & router. Link all your points to that switch. 1 cable to interconnect from switch to router, as router only got 4 ports.

Or, like me, install a patch panel, connect the switch to the patch panel, build a cabinet to conseal those messy cables. Having patch panel, you can always relocate the point from A to B. Can also further use them as telephone points.

To network your home, consideration will always be messy cables at central hub. Need to mitigate the eye sore effect for your Missus if you get my hint :notti:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

That depends on you. Simple solution, buy 12/16 ports switch, place it at the location where your NAS & router. Link all your points to that switch. 1 cable to interconnect from switch to router, as router only got 4 ports.

Or, like me, install a patch panel, connect the switch to the patch panel, build a cabinet to conseal those messy cables. Having patch panel, you can always relocate the point from A to B. Can also further use them as telephone points.

To network your home, consideration will always be messy cables at central hub. Need to mitigate the eye sore effect for your Missus if you get my hint :notti:

Hmm initially thought i may be able to skip the switch but

... Router 4 ports

1 - NAS

2 - ? set top box if starhub

3 - living room

4 - MBR

5 - study area...

so 5 cannot -> 4 haha :no:

TP-link and prolink 5port gigabit switches are like <40 bucks. i guess reasonable investment.

I may custom build furniture to hold the NAS, router and switches to hide the wires coming out from behind i guess.

Probably get the wires to come down via the false ceiling behind the feature wall and to my router area beside it...

just make sure the wireless router in your living (or wherever) is preferably not enclosed for optimal signal strength...your equipment (NAS, switch etc) also gotta make sure there's adequate ventilation as they get pretty warm if they are switched on for long periods of time... :sport-smiley-018:

in terms of switch brands, those 2 mentioned by lala81 are good, but there are also inexpensive unknown taiwanese brands in SLS that are very good as well...just make sure you get gigabit ethernet switches - remember that to fully optimise your fibre speed, every single component in your network path should be GE compliant, from the router to the switch to the cables to your end-point...

Edited by dragonnite

just make sure the wireless router in your living (or wherever) is preferably not enclosed for optimal signal strength...your equipment (NAS, switch etc) also gotta make sure there's adequate ventilation as they get pretty warm if they are switched on for long periods of time... :sport-smiley-018:

in terms of switch brands, those 2 mentioned by ong are good, but there are also inexpensive unknown taiwanese brands in SLS that are very good as well...just make sure you get gigabit ethernet switches - remember that to fully optimise your fibre speed, every single component in your network path should be GE compliant, from the router to the switch to the cables to your end-point...

These are wise words.... If only we met earlier... Then I will not have a messy network.... :bangwall::bangwall::blink:

Hmm initially thought i may be able to skip the switch but

... Router 4 ports

1 - NAS

2 - ? set top box if starhub

3 - living room

4 - MBR

5 - study area...

so 5 cannot -> 4 haha :no:

If your budget allows, go for 2 network points each at 1) TV console, 2) Studyroom 3) Hosting area 4) MBR if possible. Of cause the later, can be 1 point if you really see no need for it. Just a quote, to add 1 switch easier or a point earlier during renovation stage if the future additional is only 1 network point. You can always re-locate your NAS to Studyroom if needed with such plan in place at present.

For starhub setup box, don't bother to provide Internet access for it IMO.

Further, what kind of broadband you will be using? It will also affects the route as well. Provide as much information of your intent as possible to discuss.

TP-link and prolink 5port gigabit switches are like <40 bucks. i guess reasonable investment.

I may custom build furniture to hold the NAS, router and switches to hide the wires coming out from behind i guess.

Probably get the wires to come down via the false ceiling behind the feature wall and to my router area beside it...

The 2 brands are decent, you can always upgrade to quality ones in future. Now just make do with what your budget allows, with regards to custom cabinet, make sure you provide ample space allowance for housing your gadgets.

You will never know what is your next upgradeable gadget's dimension. Trust me, never go precise on such details. Not just that, make sure you provide allowances for cable management, to house your power adaptor etc.

in terms of switch brands, those 2 mentioned by ong are good, but there are also inexpensive unknown taiwanese brands in SLS that are very good as well...just make sure you get gigabit ethernet switches - remember that to fully optimise your fibre speed, every single component in your network path should be GE compliant, from the router to the switch to the cables to your end-point...

2nd that on Dragonnite's suggestion. The key to maintain your gadgets equal good ventilation in place. Do consider at ease for cleaning(easy for Missus to clean :notti:) to avoid naggy comments from her.

Back to setup, make sure all your stuffs are gigabit certified, if not, transfer speed will be affected.

These are wise words.... If only we met earlier... Then I will not have a messy network.... :bangwall::bangwall::blink:

You can re-do if you are keen. :notti:

ong u got any dff files ? my vortexbox dont support iso format .... sianz

Yup, Norah Jones if I remembered correctly. You can extract iso to dff right?

You can re-do if you are keen. :notti:

ya, kim, redo ! ! :notti: :notti:

ong can b ur main consultant, i b his assistant...we v cheap - buy us dinner... :lol:

Edited by dragonnite

ya, kim, redo ! ! :notti: :notti:

ong can b ur main consultant, i b his assistant...we v cheap - buy us dinner... :lol:

Ya ya...no home cooked meal hor. :lol: