Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
dapliew

Our New Home

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Networkplans.jpg

As above.

I'm bit kiasi one. So thinking of NAS. Then ? a DAS as backup storage (? in a fireproof safe?)

Mostly for my family photos archive...

EDIT: Wah the words turn out so small.
OK. Red is Router + NAS.

Blue boxes are the keystone plates/LAN points.

- MBR: TV + ? 2nd port in case wireless signal weak when door closed

- Study area is for PC

- Living room tv.

The route seems ok to me. Maybe you can plan to run more spare network cables for future IP cam expansion, remember to cater power points too.

As for backup, not really neccessary. make sure you run the raid thats all. DAS can also fails.

Fro cat6 cables, buy locally will do. Can try LHS in Sim Lim Tower for custom length. For HDMI cable, can try these 2 brands, Aiborg/Monoprice Redmere, try Xtremeplace forum.

Im using this, pretty decent. Buy longer length, can cut off any excess7 & recycle the balance.

The route seems ok to me. Maybe you can plan to run more spare network cables for future IP cam expansion, remember to cater power points too.

As for backup, not really neccessary. make sure you run the raid thats all. DAS can also fails.

RAID is not backup lah... If you KS, then best would be 1 copy in NAS, 1 copy in PC, and 1 copy in a USB HDD (but if you want DAS also can lah, a bit more ex only). 3 copies - you need to have a backup strategy to ensure they are up to date.

Do note that RAID1 configuration may also cause your corrupted copy to be copied to the good one, so it's not a fail-safe thingy. Which is why my NAS is not in RAID configuration, but that means I got to make sure I copy to both HDD... A bit more troublesome i know.. But I a bit KS, ahahha

RAID is not backup lah... If you KS, then best would be 1 copy in NAS, 1 copy in PC, and 1 copy in a USB HDD (but if you want DAS also can lah, a bit more ex only). 3 copies - you need to have a backup strategy to ensure they are up to date.

Do note that RAID1 configuration may also cause your corrupted copy to be copied to the good one, so it's not a fail-safe thingy. Which is why my NAS is not in RAID configuration, but that means I got to make sure I copy to both HDD... A bit more troublesome i know.. But I a bit KS, ahahha

Since when did I mentioned Raid is backup? Nowadays, no need to backup so many copies. Run raid 5 with 2 pcs of redundancy. Easy & straight forward. That's the purpose of having NAS, running big sized storage. If the hardware choose to fails, no matters what, will be wrong.

Fro cat6 cables, buy locally will do. Can try LHS in Sim Lim Tower for custom length. For HDMI cable, can try these 2 brands, Aiborg/Monoprice Redmere, try Xtremeplace forum.

Im using this, pretty decent. Buy longer length, can cut off any excess7 & recycle the balance.

Thanks ongcs.

Gotta buy a few hdmi cables haha. BTW, do you know if starhub tv cable comes with hdmi cable? I am counting how many hdmi cables I would be needing haha.

Usually need 1 for TV to AVR, another one for starhub box to AVR also?

Thanks ongcs.

Gotta buy a few hdmi cables haha. BTW, do you know if starhub tv cable comes with hdmi cable? I am counting how many hdmi cables I would be needing haha.

Usually need 1 for TV to AVR, another one for starhub box to AVR also?

Yes, need 2 pcs, TV->AVR->Setup Box. Sorry, not sure whether Starhub offers free Hdmi cable, maybe you can check with their customer service, as I'm not their subscriber.

ehhh too busy .... fixed up liao but no time to play ard... wkend the play ard...

1371048467.jpg

Nice! Should sounds better!!

Wow....nice stuff. Wat speakers u r using?

His 2.0 setup very expensive, his speaker very slim. If you read back my tblog, you will find the answer.

i know. the only thing i can't think how to prevent is fire. hence storage in a fireproof safe. Alternatively is regular backup of important stuff like photos to cloud storage. But worried about privacy issues with that :unsure:

how do the cables interconnect? is there a central node?

i know. the only thing i can't think how to prevent is fire. hence storage in a fireproof safe. Alternatively is regular backup of important stuff like photos to cloud storage. But worried about privacy issues with that :unsure:

If privacy is an issue, better off to host another NAS offsite at your folks place.