Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
liowk

Built In Hob Queries

i bought a built in hob for my new house and my renovation contractor fixed on the hob after building the stove support/cabinet and finally fixing the granite top.

However, i find the hob not firmly fixed, it seems to be able to move slightly, is it normal?

The answer given by my contractor:

1. It is normal

2. There is supposed to be a thin rubber fixed underneath the perimeter of the hob such that the "normal" gap between the hob and the support/cabinet can be filled so the stove won't shake. And that i was supposed to buy the rubber and fix it myself.

3. I was supposed to buy plasticine and fill in any gaps after i feedback to him that the rubber seems to be already there.

4. After i feedback to him that my neighbors stove doesn't move at all, he told me not to ask other people because his renovation has no problems at all.

5. Finally the latest solution is for me to call PUB up and fix the gas pipe, after which he will glue the hob to the kitchen top using silicon.

Hopefully someone can help to answer my queries. Thanks.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

i bought a built in hob for my new house and my renovation contractor fixed on the hob after building the stove support/cabinet and finally fixing the granite top.

However, i find the hob not firmly fixed, it seems to be able to move slightly, is it normal?

The answer given by my contractor:

1. It is normal

2. There is supposed to be a thin rubber fixed underneath the perimeter of the hob such that the "normal" gap between the hob and the support/cabinet can be filled so the stove won't shake. And that i was supposed to buy the rubber and fix it myself.

3. I was supposed to buy plasticine and fill in any gaps after i feedback to him that the rubber seems to be already there.

4. After i feedback to him that my neighbors stove doesn't move at all, he told me not to ask other people because his renovation has no problems at all.

5. Finally the latest solution is for me to call PUB up and fix the gas pipe, after which he will glue the hob to the kitchen top using silicon.

Hopefully someone can help to answer my queries. Thanks.

Your contractor ali baba U

U c from beneath your stove U should able to c 4 clip screw into the stove at 4 corner cliping/griping to your cabinet

The clip is like a claw claping tight so your stove won't sway left right front and back

or maybe your stove opening to big??

Do give it a check :yamseng:

Your contractor ali baba U

U c from beneath your stove U should able to c 4 clip screw into the stove at 4 corner cliping/griping to your cabinet

The clip is like a claw claping tight so your stove won't sway left right front and back

or maybe your stove opening to big??

Do give it a check :yamseng:

Went to check, don't have the clip screw you mentioned. Viewing below, it looks like the opening is too big as compared to the hob... My contractor most probably will be sealing with silicon, he mentioned that he will not redo the renovation work for the kitchen stove, it will be a waste of material and he will lose profit...

Went to check, don't have the clip screw you mentioned. Viewing below, it looks like the opening is too big as compared to the hob... My contractor most probably will be sealing with silicon, he mentioned that he will not redo the renovation work for the kitchen stove, it will be a waste of material and he will lose profit...

Silicon is probably your best solution now if he is willing to do it. a lot of contractors are like that, after taking your money, hack care already. How to complaint to his boss, he is the boss.

Silicon is probably your best solution now if he is willing to do it. a lot of contractors are like that, after taking your money, hack care already. How to complaint to his boss, he is the boss.

So silicon is ok?

Just a question, normally for the inside of built in cabinets, is it supposed to be all white or the same laminate as the outside surface? Because my contractor say it is all white.

So silicon is ok?

Just a question, normally for the inside of built in cabinets, is it supposed to be all white or the same laminate as the outside surface? Because my contractor say it is all white.

Bro go buy the claw grip from your hob suppler in the long run silicon won't hold out for long

I'll take a pic of my hob to show u how the claw grip looks like and how it grip onto the hob and your bottom cabinet

or U can take a look at your neighbour's hob beneath :sport-smiley-004:

So silicon is ok?

Could it be that your hob is using battery for ignition; and the access to the battery compartment is under the hob? My previous hob was designed like that, but my new hob, the battery compartment is from the top, so no need to reach under the hob. My new hob came with the black tape, but the for the previous hob, it was never sealed. :dunno:

The inside of my cabinet is white, different from the outside surface.

Bro go buy the claw grip from your hob suppler in the long run silicon won't hold out for long

I'll take a pic of my hob to show u how the claw grip looks like and how it grip onto the hob and your bottom cabinet

or U can take a look at your neighbour's hob beneath :sport-smiley-004:

Do appreciate if you can show me the pic.

Could it be that your hob is using battery for ignition; and the access to the battery compartment is under the hob? My previous hob was designed like that, but my new hob, the battery compartment is from the top, so no need to reach under the hob. My new hob came with the black tape, but the for the previous hob, it was never sealed. :dunno:

The inside of my cabinet is white, different from the outside surface.

the battery compartment is below, but the position doesn't affect the fixing of the hob, and it is easily accessible.

As for the cabinet, i had an idea that the inside laminate is the same as outside until my contractor finish building the cabinet. I was willing to pay extra for the inside laminate, but the contractor say no one does lamination on the inside..

the battery compartment is below, but the position doesn't affect the fixing of the hob, and it is easily accessible.

As for the cabinet, i had an idea that the inside laminate is the same as outside until my contractor finish building the cabinet. I was willing to pay extra for the inside laminate, but the contractor say no one does lamination on the inside..

What I mean is maybe that is the reason why the hob didn't come with clips or sealing strip. In your case, it may be easily access from below, but for someone who has a built-in oven installed below the hob, then the only way to change the battery is to lift the hob.

Imagine if they have included the clips or sealing strip and the consumer went ahead to seal in the hob and then install the built-in oven and find out later that he needs to remove the built-in oven to change the battery. So the manufacturer just do not include them so as to avoid this problem. :o

Guess you should look at the clip and silicon option to stop it from moving around since you have access to the battery easily. :D

its not only this hob that i have issues with, out of 100%, i can say that 95% of the renovation work i am not satisfied with... This is the first time i am dealing with renovation work, i am taking this as a very good experience..

i think my contractor next job is in Pasir Ris, hopefully the owner is clear about renovation work.

If i wish to share the contractor company name and the contractor's name, can i post it here or do i only reply to pm?

its not only this hob that i have issues with, out of 100%, i can say that 95% of the renovation work i am not satisfied with... This is the first time i am dealing with renovation work, i am taking this as a very good experience..

i think my contractor next job is in Pasir Ris, hopefully the owner is clear about renovation work.

If i wish to share the contractor company name and the contractor's name, can i post it here or do i only reply to pm?

Yes, it is truly a learning experience but 95% not satisfied, that's bad. :curse: So sorry to hear that.

Not sure about sharing company's name here, but there are people who has done that. But it will be very helpful to share your experience so that others can avoid making the same mistake.

Hope you can get most of them rectified.

Aiyo... so sorry to hear tat... Reno. is a very tedious and tiring process.. anyhow.. hope it all turns out well for u in the end...

the contractor came down today to fix the hob. once again, he surprises me, he actually suggested silicon last time as a solution and today, he ask us for the silicon.... in the end, he got some silicon from some other contractors working around to fix the hob...

Yes, it is truly a learning experience but 95% not satisfied, that's bad. :curse: So sorry to hear that.

Not sure about sharing company's name here, but there are people who has done that. But it will be very helpful to share your experience so that others can avoid making the same mistake.

Hope you can get most of them rectified.

i just realized that i forgot 1 important issue with my contractor... all this time he was liasing with my mother, only when i tell him off, he will listen but still give unsatisfactory results... It seems that this contractor is very good is "bullying/faking" old people who lacks knowledge in renovation..