Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
salad

Simple Reno

Hi Nexer,

The laminate we used is Krono Original. It is from a different company than Krono Swiss. Krono Original is Made in Germany while Krono Swiss is Made in Switzerland.

I was quoted $1700 for Krono Swiss for 3 rooms HDB plus the store room. However, I didn't like the limited designs they've got. I feel Knoro Original offers more natural prints and finishing (the finishing feels rather real as compared to other brands). Mine is the matte finish, which feels like raw wood. For my flooring, I was quoted at $3.5 per sqf, AC4, 8mm.

Our total reno cost is around 15K.

Are you planning to use a contractor or ID? If contractor, I would strongly recommend Mr Lee from Chng Poh Guan. I have just started my new job, hence did not have a lot of time to monitor the reno. Everything was communicated through Mr Lee. I am a very fussy and flicker-minded person. I kept requesting to change here and there but he is very patient and always fulfill (if not exceeded) all my expectations. We can't really ask for more. Without him, our reno would not be as fun and fuss-free :rolleyes:

Happy planning!!

the $1700 is for the whole house? tats cheap compared to laying homo tiles.

my only worry about laminate flooring is the maintenance part. Heard that homo tiles are easier to take care of and more lasting.

I'm still looking around for id/contractor, maybe u can email mi Mr Lee contacts and your reno quote? On a tight budget, so need to save watever money i can.

thanks! :yamseng:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

my only worry about laminate flooring is the maintenance part. Heard that homo tiles are easier to take care of and more lasting.

I'm still looking around for id/contractor, maybe u can email mi Mr Lee contacts and your reno quote? On a tight budget, so need to save watever money i can.

Hi Nexer,

I am just posting Mr Lee's contact here so that others might find it useful as well. Hope you don't mind. Please PM me your email and I will forward our reno quote to you.

Mr Lee (Inspiration ID/Chng Poh Guan Renovation): 92990344

Yes laminate flooring is much cheaper than homo tiles. That's why we chose it in the first place due to budget constrain. I think it would depend on how long you intend to stay in this house. Are you planning to stay there for 5 years, 10 years or more? If the answer is 10 years or more, homo tiles might be a better investment although it is rather costly to start with.

It's cheap for Krono Original. I was quoted $6.50/p sf, for two bedrooms its already $2300+. Anyway, I'm thinking to use Kronotex instead. Btw, Hafary sells wood like tiles n my friend was quoted $3+ which he said its very nice, look like wood but yet they are tiles, thus easier to maintain.

Hi Salad,

How's the workmanship for the overall Reno? Do they know how to design the pattern of lying the tiles? Sorry for asking such funny qn becos my colleague who is renovating the house now is having a hard time with his contractor because he expects the tiler to know how to lay in such a way the wall n floor blends well. I don't know got such thing until he told me, rightfully, wall tiles should place like subway tiles, if u r using 30x60. Haha, I was telling him, that contractor must be cursing behind his back.

It's cheap for Krono Original. I was quoted $6.50/p sf, for two bedrooms its already $2300+. Anyway, I'm thinking to use Kronotex instead. Btw, Hafary sells wood like tiles n my friend was quoted $3+ which he said its very nice, look like wood but yet they are tiles, thus easier to maintain.

For Krono Original, they have a few different ranges if I remember correctly. Ours was quoted at $4.5/psf initially but I managed to bargain until $3.5/psf :dribble: But they charged a 10% wastage which I didn't notice when placing the deposit (others use only 5% to calculate wastage). Also trimming of doors are not included.

I have another contact who provide Krono Swiss. He does not have a showroom or salepersons as he only supplies to contractors. His quote is the $1700 for whole house (1 living room, 2 bedrooms, 1 store room) including trimming of doors. I didn't choose him in the end although the price is much cheaper as cannot find any design I like. They only carry around 10-12 designs at times. Really glad we spent a bit more but totally satisfied with our choice. At the end, you are looking at your floor everything. Must choose something that makes you feel happy :yamseng:

Hi Salad,

How's the workmanship for the overall Reno? Do they know how to design the pattern of lying the tiles? Sorry for asking such funny qn becos my colleague who is renovating the house now is having a hard time with his contractor because he expects the tiler to know how to lay in such a way the wall n floor blends well. I don't know got such thing until he told me, rightfully, wall tiles should place like subway tiles, if u r using 30x60. Haha, I was telling him, that contractor must be cursing behind his back.

Hi Mrs Loo,

I find the workmanship of the tiler is acceptable. As we only redid the floor tiles, and ours are very simple/plain designs, I can't really comment on whether the tiler knew how to lay in such a way the wall and floor blends well. Our wall tiles are spray painted.

Edited by salad

hi salad, can you please send me your quotation from mr lee? my email is jordanchang@mail.com. i just got my keys to a 3I and is on a tight budget for reno. not looking to do much also.

by the way, you did not do your kitchen top, right? :)

Yes the light is very bright. It has 2 of the energy saving tubes inside. Total 40W.

The wind is quite strong even if using at the slowest mode. We feel it is stronger than we would like as our bedroom is very small.

We bought it at $260 including lights and remote control. The lights and remote control are optional. We bought it from a small shop opposite City Plaza. The address is Urban Lighting & Electrical , 511 Guillemard Road, #01-24, Grandlink Square. Singapore 399849. We bought all our lightings from this shop. We have done some research on pricing before deciding on this one. The owner is nice and friendly. He quoted us the lowest price among all shop the we visited for most of the items. Hence we decided to get everything from him. Very good after sales service. His shop is quite small and messy and does not have many things though. But the basic items such as downlights, T5, track lights, etc are available. I saw some contractors also went there to buy lightings :rolleyes:

Wow.. 40w is good enough for any HDB room.. I assume the price is not including the installation right? How about the noise level at low speed during night, acceptable?

Wow! I love the way ur kitchen looks... How do u find the end product? Mind to PM me the kitchen quote? Or if not possible, the whole reno quote? I only intend to do my kitchen... Appreciate any lead given... Thanks.

Finally got around to take photos of our place 1.5 months after moving in. We hope to start with the DIY brick wall on this empty wall tomorrow. Will update with the progress :sport-smiley-003:

DSCF1010.jpg

DSCF1013.jpg

Finally got around to take photos of our place 1.5 months after moving in. We hope to start with the DIY brick wall on this empty wall tomorrow. Will update with the progress :sport-smiley-003:

DSCF1010.jpg

DSCF1013.jpg

Simply love your kitchen, very nice.

Wow.. 40w is good enough for any HDB room.. I assume the price is not including the installation right? How about the noise level at low speed during night, acceptable?

Yup, price does not include installation. I got my contractor to install the fan :D It is very quiet. I didn't notice any noise at all at low speed during night.

Hi salad,

Got a question where did you put your washing machine/dryer? Cos dont see it in the kitchen? :)

oops paiseh saw it.

Edited by BlurryKid

After much delay, finally the DIY brick wall has been started

578957_10151160271958261_1479474953_n.jpg

We used 2 types of glue: Maxbond & Builder... glues. We prefer the later one as it dries faster, so no need to hold the tiles and wait for it to be dried. But you have to be fast though =)

387721_10151160271778261_1435084832_n.jpg

Our progress so far...

404273_10151160271628261_311327004_n.jpg

We could not find the wood spacer to put in the gaps, hence used some rolled paper from magazine. It works well too!

Hopefully we can finish it next weekend. Will post the updates then :)

Citygas dryer mounted a little high due to our top load washer.

IMG_0275.jpg

We did a test run yesterday. The dryer actually vibrates a lot especially at the start. Anyway to prevent the vibration?

try using thick soundproofing materials such as dynomats. but it wont look so nnice