Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
orangecrab

Eclectic Home

After randomly scouring this forum for inspiration and motivation, I'm finally starting my own t-blog. Gee... I'm hoping I have the perseverance to upkeep and update this blog...

Elated we were, after having been thru several failed rounds of balloting, to finally secure a 4-rm unit in Casa Clementi. We've gotten our keys to our 4 rm flat in Casa Clementi back in Feb 2012. But we've had little mindspace and time to really plan due to both my husband's and my hectic schedules. Not to mention, whatever free time we had, we wanted to spend quality time with our toddler, so the home reno plans pretty much took a back seat. But we're slowly getting to work on it soon ;)

When we started, my husband gave me the full licence to plan the design. Hehehe... But lately, he's shared his preferences and seems like they are different from mine! Erk!

I'm basically a greedy person who gets her visual orgasms from colours, pretty things, witty designs, textures and everything in between.

I don't think I can ever stick to one design theme for my house cos I love a variety of styles from Victorian to Shabby chic to Scandinavian to Mid century to Retro and Modern Vintage to Moroccan.

Guess it's tricky to mix them all up but I'm more for creating a home that my family would love to be in as opposed to a conjured magazine-perfect home

I must admit, it's really hard to conclude on certain things sometimes, when planning a home that is safe for an elderly, a baby, idiot-proof and worry free for my domestic helper when we are at work and also when the husband and I have differing tastes (HAHA!) Gee, it's no wonder I sit on some of my decisions sometimes hehe...

So you see, my brain is an eclectic mess! :oP

Anyway, here's a look at our floor plan.

picture28ry.png

Edited by orangecrab

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

When I first started sourcing for IDs, I submitted an online form via iCompare (a site that links you to many ID firms) and boy, was I overwhelmed! I was bombarded call after call by determined salespersons, asking for a meet up etc etc... I think about 10 called me?

I actually even did an excel sheet documenting who called me, from which company and what my first impression was of them. Frankly speaking, I was turned off by IDs who do not even bother to ask who is staying in the house. How can you design a good home without considering the needs of the people staying in it? It would be ok if it were contractors but this is ID... we pay them more to think for us so I can't help but expect a higher standard of service.

In the end, I met IDs from firms whose work I have seen in my friend's or relatives home instead. But even then, finding one that you have chemistry with is really hard.

Weird examples include:

1. Proposing to cover my bomb shelter (which is located right in front of my passageway) when I have stressed that I need room for my granny who will be in a wheelchair

2. Quoting for a brick wall without having heard of it before

3. Insisting his layout is the best and there's no other way to do it

4. Proposing interesting ideas during a site visit to my house but quoted me on something very basic (and the cost was already high)

5. Telling me they've not heard of long wood tiles (how can an ID not keep abreast of such things?)

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Hello neighbour!

Haha... yeah hope to crack on it soon! :o)

Wow you're really very ON in the forum huh? so fast spotted me.. hurhur

welcome!! are u finally starting work already? =)

Edited by orangecrab

One of my dilemmas is planning the layout for my kitchen. Im only planning for 2 rows of bottom cabinets and 1 upper cabinet.

I have nothing against open kitchen concept and would probably have done so to make my house look bigger if my kitchen was the left or right of my entrance instead of in front of my main entrance. But, I am not really fond of opening the door to see the kitchen and service yard. Cos I don't want the first impression of entering my house to be a messy one. Of course I will try my best to be neat and tidy, but some days, mothers just need a break hehe...

So I plan to extend the right wall of my kitchen entrance just so that my main door doesnt face a door, thereby shifting my entrance. But I also didnt want my dining area to be seen right smack in the living area so I intend to keep the short wall on the left, but hack it partially to open the kitchen slightly.

Ok now here comes my dilemma... I am not planning to buy a built in oven cos, well, I'm not into serious baking. And trust me, after experiencing a total burn out and black out when my baby belling oven exploded, i decided not to get one. I was thinking of getting a microwave and an oven toaster (one that can allow me to bake as and when I want). That would mean I have 2 bulky kitchen appliance and not having enough counter space for them!

Layout A: this was my original plan (maybe I can place the oven below counter while only the microwave sits on top?)

layoutaf.png

Layout B: this is my latest plan actually. The plan is to extend the counter all the way to the service yard (I'm sealing one of the toilet doors)

layoutbo.png

Layout C: this is using a tall cabinet to stack the microwave and oven. But this means I need to put my hob near the kitchen entrance, which I'm hesitant to do... And I would need to make another upper cabinet just to install my hood.

layoutcm.png

I'm hacking the walls of my service yard so I'm quite reluctant to have the view on the left side of the kitchen be blocked by tall cabinets/fridge...

Dilemma dilemma... any advice??

I've similar layout as you, once main door opens it faces kitchen and service yard...

To avoid hacking, we just planning to build wooden frame door with frosted glass panel and keep kitchen door closes most of the time. But I read that in term of feng shui, best it to use your method -> change the opening..

Looking at your plan, y dont you just take layout A, and build one tall cabinet on the left of kitchen (ops your sink). It can use to store your microwave and oven toaster. A tall cabinet can have more storage space..

Edited by kelhy

Hello neighbour!

Haha... yeah hope to crack on it soon! :o)

Wow you're really very ON in the forum huh? so fast spotted me.. hurhur

haha i just happened to come in to reply a pm and saw it!

One of my dilemmas is planning the layout for my kitchen. Im only planning for 2 rows of bottom cabinets and 1 upper cabinet.

I have nothing against open kitchen concept and would probably have done so to make my house look bigger if my kitchen was the left or right of my entrance instead of in front of my main entrance. But, I am not really fond of opening the door to see the kitchen and service yard. Cos I don't want the first impression of entering my house to be a messy one. Of course I will try my best to be neat and tidy, but some days, mothers just need a break hehe...

So I plan to extend the right wall of my kitchen entrance just so that my main door doesnt face a door, thereby shifting my entrance. But I also didnt want my dining area to be seen right smack in the living area so I intend to keep the short wall on the left, but hack it partially to open the kitchen slightly.

Ok now here comes my dilemma... I am not planning to buy a built in oven cos, well, I'm not into serious baking. And trust me, after experiencing a total burn out and black out when my baby belling oven exploded, i decided not to get one. I was thinking of getting a microwave and an oven toaster (one that can allow me to bake as and when I want). That would mean I have 2 bulky kitchen appliance and not having enough counter space for them!

Layout A: this was my original plan (maybe I can place the oven below counter while only the microwave sits on top?)

layoutaf.png

Layout B: this is my latest plan actually. The plan is to extend the counter all the way to the service yard (I'm sealing one of the toilet doors)

layoutbo.png

Layout C: this is using a tall cabinet to stack the microwave and oven. But this means I need to put my hob near the kitchen entrance, which I'm hesitant to do... And I would need to make another upper cabinet just to install my hood.

layoutcm.png

I'm hacking the walls of my service yard so I'm quite reluctant to have the view on the left side of the kitchen be blocked by tall cabinets/fridge...

Dilemma dilemma... any advice??

i think i would prefer Layout B. I know what you mean by not wanting to have a high cabinet on the left to block the light..i initially wanted a tall cabinet too..but end up didn't have space since I want my hob and hood in a line and didn't want to block the light/space on the left..

I've similar layout as you, once main door opens it faces kitchen and service yard...

To avoid hacking, we just planning to build wooden frame door with frosted glass panel and keep kitchen door closes most of the time. But I read that in term of feng shui, best it to use your method -> change the opening..

Looking at your plan, y dont you just take layout A, and build one tall cabinet on the left of kitchen (ops your sink). It can use to store your microwave and oven toaster. A tall cabinet can have more storage space..

i've the same layout and was abit concerned about fengshui too..but doors either open up to kitchen and yard window or living room windows..! but since fengshui is also abt having bright, comfortable and spacious spaces for the air to flow, we still chose to hack all the kitchen walls and add a crystal light at the entrance..and perhaps a plant near the window.. :P

Hi Kelhy! Hmm I'm pretty reluctant to have a tall cabinet block the left side cos I'm hacking the service yard wall. The reason I'm hacking the service yard wall is also because much of the wind is coming from the service yard window and I wanted it to flow through to the kitchen.

i think i would prefer Layout B. I know what you mean by not wanting to have a high cabinet on the left to block the light..i initially wanted a tall cabinet too..but end up didn't have space since I want my hob and hood in a line and didn't want to block the light/space on the left..

Layout B was my final one but I was wondering if I'm making a bad decision to occupy that space in the service yard which means I might not have room to iron clothes there. Where do you plan on ironing your clothes? In one of the rooms? I kinda want to do everything in the service yard...

Layout B was my final one but I was wondering if I'm making a bad decision to occupy that space in the service yard which means I might not have room to iron clothes there. Where do you plan on ironing your clothes? In one of the rooms? I kinda want to do everything in the service yard...

hmm i haven't thought of that..i was thinking living room since it's the nicest place in the house and i can watch telly at the same time..

you should have enough space to open up a ironing board there! anyway it's foldable and you'll keep it after you're done..sounds like a good idea, maybe i'll do the ironing there.. :P

Gee.. it really feels good to let all these thoughts out of my mind hehe...

Here are some photos that I love...

Love the airy feel and the punches of colours in the decorations...

4apt.jpg

8apt.jpg

ecleticdecoration.jpg

picture23w.png

Haha you know how all the heat from ironing can make you bothered... hopefully ironing in the windy service yard wouldn't make it such a chore. Yeah I kinda have this plan of making the service yard a full fledged laundry area. But we'll see if that materialises hehe...

hmm i haven't thought of that..i was thinking living room since it's the nicest place in the house and i can watch telly at the same time..

you should have enough space to open up a ironing board there! anyway it's foldable and you'll keep it after you're done..sounds like a good idea, maybe i'll do the ironing there.. :P