Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
yunyunhere

Sliding Glass Door Or Swing Glass Door?

Recently, I met few IDs and they have different perspectives on the kitchen glass doors. One said sliding door is better, cuz it saves space in terms of fully aligning to the wall, and looks nice. But the other said top hung sliding door will have a ugly track on top, and any problems on the roller, then means $$$ for repair. She also said not many kitchens are suitable for swing hinged door, and mine has perfect structure for it.

Any one can give me some ideas the pros and cons on the sliding door vs swing hinged door? How about the top hung track thingie, need pelmet to hide it? Besides, We have an one-year old little monster at home. Banging every place if he finds it interesting, so will it be sliding or swing more child-proof?

Thanks.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Ah, thanks May, was reading your toilet bowl selection episode just now, you and me have the same idea on our bowls, hahaha! Talking about the kitchen door, is a must for us, cuz my parents are cooking heavily, my kitchen is very windy which will bring the smells and heat all the way to the living room. Problem is I don't like bi-fold door as kitchen entrance door, looks sorry leh, husband also say glass door, po pian lor.

Recently, I met few IDs and they have different perspectives on the kitchen glass doors. One said sliding door is better, cuz it saves space in terms of fully aligning to the wall, and looks nice. But the other said top hung sliding door will have a ugly track on top, and any problems on the roller, then means $$$ for repair. She also said not many kitchens are suitable for swing hinged door, and mine has perfect structure for it.

Any one can give me some ideas the pros and cons on the sliding door vs swing hinged door? How about the top hung track thingie, need pelmet to hide it? Besides, We have an one-year old little monster at home. Banging every place if he finds it interesting, so will it be sliding or swing more child-proof?

Thanks.

Hello~

Glass doors are the alternative to open concept kitchens. They looks nice be it swing or slide :) and are able to keep the smell of the other areas :thumbs up: Juz have to be extra careful, esp your lil monster hehez :D Fingers esp. Take note when he is near doors, any doors la, not juz glass ones... Good thing for glass doors is you can see what is on the other side. :thumbs up:

Hmmm i would say your ID/Contractors are both right to a certain extend, maybe could have given you more info la. Give more option ma, ultimately you will be staying there so you choose the one which you are more comfy with :)

The main advantage of slide over swing is the space saving. Swing have to cater for the swing radius :no::(

Opt for the top hung if using the slide as bottom tracks really 'kill' the beauty of your home. :~:jawdrop:

The top hung tracks can always be hidden. So dun wry about aesthetics but 'she' is right on the maintenance. Alot of peeps miss this out. Can design and reno but always keep in mind about maintenance :)

Tracks trap dust easily and if not properly installed or using of bad quality ones will cost $$$ in the future, for repair and maintanence. Worse if it is hidden. :ph34r: Swing doors are much more easier to maintain without the 'hidden' tracks. Cleaning too. :sport-smiley-004:

Do note that standard glass panel heights come at 7ft (Bathroom shower screen 1.8m) so usually have to add in a partition block. Same goes for the swing. If want custom ones = $$$. :blink: There should be a beam at the entrance to the kitchen as well so the onsite guys have to take the correct measurements. Not to forget the flooring too. Small little details to take note ;) They make alot of difference when lump together~ :dancingqueen:

Structures can always be made de, at a cost tho (Wont be much ;) )

Hope this helps (still working on your fp paiseh ah~) hehez

:yamseng: ,

Mike

Edited by mikeyong500

Hey Mike, thought you won't be coming to RT for at least a week, so nice to hear from you again. Now i have a better pic over the glass doors. How about the aluminium sliding door with acrylic panel in centre, I bet you know it too (not bi-fold type), how's your comment over this type of kitchen entrance door?

Hello~

Glass doors are the alternative to open concept kitchens. They looks nice be it swing or slide :) and are able to keep the smell of the other areas :thumbs up: Juz have to be extra careful, esp your lil monster hehez :D Fingers esp. Take note when he is near doors, any doors la, not juz glass ones... Good thing for glass doors is you can see what is on the other side. :thumbs up:

Hmmm i would say your ID/Contractors are both right to a certain extend, maybe could have given you more info la. Give more option ma, ultimately you will be staying there so you choose the one which you are more comfy with :)

The main advantage of slide over swing is the space saving. Swing have to cater for the swing radius :no::(

Opt for the top hung if using the slide as bottom tracks really 'kill' the beauty of your home. :~:jawdrop:

The top hung tracks can always be hidden. So dun wry about aesthetics but 'she' is right on the maintenance. Alot of peeps miss this out. Can design and reno but always keep in mind about maintenance :)

Tracks trap dust easily and if not properly installed or using of bad quality ones will cost $$$ in the future, for repair and maintanence. Worse if it is hidden. :ph34r: Swing doors are much more easier to maintain without the 'hidden' tracks. Cleaning too. :sport-smiley-004:

Do note that standard glass panel heights come at 7ft (Bathroom shower screen 1.8m) so usually have to add in a partition block. Same goes for the swing. If want custom ones = $$$. :blink: There should be a beam at the entrance to the kitchen as well so the onsite guys have to take the correct measurements. Not to forget the flooring too. Small little details to take note ;) They make alot of difference when lump together~ :dancingqueen:

Structures can always be made de, at a cost tho (Wont be much ;) )

Hope this helps (still working on your fp paiseh ah~) hehez

Mike

Hey Mike, thought you won't be coming to RT for at least a week, so nice to hear from you again. Now i have a better pic over the glass doors. How about the aluminium sliding door with acrylic panel in centre, I bet you know it too (not bi-fold type), how's your comment over this type of kitchen entrance door?

Hahaz i'm back~ hmmm aluminum sliding door with acrylic panel. Main difference is the design and the weight ba (Oh and the price :sport-smiley-004: ). Full glass doors are much heavier. They have limited colors as well. But they keep the looks simple and good for a more open kitchen feel.

Aluminum frames comes in many colors and designs. The acrylic panels also got many colors as well :dribble: Example, many people nowadays are looking into white concept homes. The aluminum frames can be white powdercoated (or other colors) to match the themes, even the acrylic panels can be white too. :unsure:

It all depends on your living room design and colors. And not to forget your kitchen too. Imagine you have a natural wood theme living room and kitchen, then your sliding door is those metallic colored aluminum frame! :jawdrop: hahahaz juz kidding :lol:

Maybe such situation a wooden sliding door is much better with light green/yellow/orange? :unsure: acrylic panels to brighten up the rooms when sunlight shines through? :)

Price wise the aluminum sliding door should be slightly cheaper, depending on the design ba.

Hope this helps.

Mike

hi

i would fully support the glass door.

initially we too wanted to use a wooden framed-glass panels bi fold door. but it would look too heavy and bulky to our design.

see our research/ reference here

Using a sliding door would sacrifice some "storage space" and I did not like to have tracks on the floor, nor did i think the top-hung ones were lasting. other than that, it is a personal preference. Have posted some photos here.

My kitchen sliding door:

glass-door-kitchen.jpg

This is how the track looked like:

glass-door---sliding-track.jpg

at the bottom there is this holder:

glass-door---lower-track.jpg

for other pictures see here:

http://mylittlecasa.blogspot.sg/search/label/Door

if you're talking about kitchen, I would prefer sliding door, as it saves space. But I do agree when something wrong with the top hung track, it'll cost you $ to repair. But generally, i find that all the problems relating to my glass doors' hinges or the track, is due to human, if you take good care of it, it'll not give you any problems.

Hahaz i'm back~ hmmm aluminum sliding door with acrylic panel. Main difference is the design and the weight ba (Oh and the price :sport-smiley-004: ). Full glass doors are much heavier. They have limited colors as well. But they keep the looks simple and good for a more open kitchen feel.

Aluminum frames comes in many colors and designs. The acrylic panels also got many colors as well :dribble: Example, many people nowadays are looking into white concept homes. The aluminum frames can be white powdercoated (or other colors) to match the themes, even the acrylic panels can be white too. :unsure:

It all depends on your living room design and colors. And not to forget your kitchen too. Imagine you have a natural wood theme living room and kitchen, then your sliding door is those metallic colored aluminum frame! :jawdrop: hahahaz juz kidding :lol:

Maybe such situation a wooden sliding door is much better with light green/yellow/orange? :unsure: acrylic panels to brighten up the rooms when sunlight shines through? :)

Price wise the aluminum sliding door should be slightly cheaper, depending on the design ba.

Hope this helps.

Mike

hi

i would fully support the glass door.

initially we too wanted to use a wooden framed-glass panels bi fold door. but it would look too heavy and bulky to our design.

see our research/ reference here

Using a sliding door would sacrifice some "storage space" and I did not like to have tracks on the floor, nor did i think the top-hung ones were lasting. other than that, it is a personal preference. Have posted some photos here.

My kitchen sliding door:

glass-door-kitchen.jpg

This is how the track looked like:

glass-door---sliding-track.jpg

at the bottom there is this holder:

glass-door---lower-track.jpg

for other pictures see here:

http://mylittlecasa.blogspot.sg/search/label/Door

if you're talking about kitchen, I would prefer sliding door, as it saves space. But I do agree when something wrong with the top hung track, it'll cost you $ to repair. But generally, i find that all the problems relating to my glass doors' hinges or the track, is due to human, if you take good care of it, it'll not give you any problems.

Thank you all for the suggestion.

Mike, sorry that didn't reply you lately, was extremely busy with the office work. See if we can catch up with each other soon :)

Thank you all for the suggestion.

Mike, sorry that didn't reply you lately, was extremely busy with the office work. See if we can catch up with each other soon :)

No worries. My schedule also packed too. Yay weekend's coming. :sport-smiley-004:

Mike

When you are trying to bring out a hot bowl of soup with both hands, would you prefer a sliding or swing?

hhahaz jimmwong, your one liner replies are thought provoking.

the user needs to choose their own preference.

But specific to your question, it is best not to have a door.

Been asking and it seems no one has contact in singapore for alumimium frame with arcylic panel in centre. I loved these type as well for sliding. end up using open concept.