Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jaykr

Sales Of Balance Flats Defects Reporting

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here. I have just signed the option to purchase for my 1st HDB flat and have viewed the flat.

I am applying for this 15 yr old flat through the Sales of Balance Flat Scheme.

When I went to view the flat, I saw the windows very very old and there is no way I can clean it and it was not easy to move the windows also.

The HDB officer told me that they can fix the moving parts for me but they won't replace the windows.

My question to them was, since I am buying this under the SOBF scheme and thus I don't get the 30,000 subsidy for a 1st time buyer similar to new flats buyers, Shouldn't I get the flat with new windows instead of the old windows that seem to be not working properly. They replace the toilet bowl, wiring etc but not the windows.

Anyone bought a SOBF and got their HDB OFFicer to replace the windows?

Anyone knows what are things that HDB won't fix and will fix?

It seems like I need to replace all the windows as everyone one of them is pretty bad. That would add to my cost quite a bit .

Anyone got any experience on how to handle this? or what I can do ?? or I got no choice but to replace all the windows myself?

The state of the windows are really bad.

Appreciate any help you can provide me.

Thank You.

Jay

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

No one got a SOBF flat?? No defects reporting to HDB??

It would be good to share .

Hi Jay,

I also bought a flat through SOBF. But I haven't view it yet. Would also like to know more about the issues you raised. Hope to have more shares from others. Am a newbie myself=))

Which area did you purchase? I bought a 4-room in Yishun=)

Angel

I also bought a SOBF direct from HDB and my appointment date for key is Monday. I had went in once (after consulting the Town Council) and inspected the place after I paid the Option Fee.

The flat needs massive renovation as it was reverted back to Original condition. Hence, my situation is not quite similar to you (except that we bought SOBF).

Best of luck to you.

Hi all,

I am also interested in knowing what is covered by HDB under the SOBF for repossessed units.

Mine is in Yishun, 26-27 yrs old flat.

Kenny

Btw, I called up the HDB Sales officer. He told me the valuation price of the unit is also based on the condition/state of the unit.

Seems like he is trying to hint that I am getting what I've paid for. That's a few hundred thousands in SGD... wt*?

I called HDB hotline and the CSO says everything from windows, doors, tiles, pipes (mostly everything) are covered under 1 year warranty.

Any defects can always call the hotline to report and HDB will send someone to fix it.

I guess this means that as long as it works, it will not be replaced by HDB.

Hope someone with more experience can share with us a clear/definite list of what's covered.

Hi Jay,

I also bought my first flat under SOBF scheme. It is a 18+yrs, 2nd level flat and we will be viewing it next Tuesday. Btw, I think the $30,000 subsidy is only for first time applicants buying resale flats from open market. Not sure why ours are not considered "resale" flats even though they are bought from HDB directly. After all, they are still old flats, occupied by previous owners.

During my flat selection, I asked the HDB officer why our flat is more expensive than the new ones. The price is enough to buy a new 5 rms flat in my area (Woodlands). The main reason he gave me is that our flat is readily available and we don't have to wait a few years for our new flat. If my wife isn't so adamantly wanted a flat of our own ASAP, I would rather wait for the upcoming Sep BTO and buy a 5 rms flat at that price.

Given that it is very likely that we may need to re-do the whole renovation of our flat, I would rather HDB hack away all the tiles for free and help me save on the hacking/hualage fees which from what i understand can comprise of a substantial portions of total renovation charges.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here. I have just signed the option to purchase for my 1st HDB flat and have viewed the flat.

I am applying for this 15 yr old flat through the Sales of Balance Flat Scheme.

When I went to view the flat, I saw the windows very very old and there is no way I can clean it and it was not easy to move the windows also.

The HDB officer told me that they can fix the moving parts for me but they won't replace the windows.

My question to them was, since I am buying this under the SOBF scheme and thus I don't get the 30,000 subsidy for a 1st time buyer similar to new flats buyers, Shouldn't I get the flat with new windows instead of the old windows that seem to be not working properly. They replace the toilet bowl, wiring etc but not the windows.

Anyone bought a SOBF and got their HDB OFFicer to replace the windows?

Anyone knows what are things that HDB won't fix and will fix?

It seems like I need to replace all the windows as everyone one of them is pretty bad. That would add to my cost quite a bit .

Anyone got any experience on how to handle this? or what I can do ?? or I got no choice but to replace all the windows myself?

The state of the windows are really bad.

Appreciate any help you can provide me.

Thank You.

Jay

Hi Jay,

I also bought my first flat under SOBF scheme. It is a 18+yrs, 2nd level flat and we will be viewing it next Tuesday. Btw, I think the $30,000 subsidy is only for first time applicants buying resale flats from open market. Not sure why ours are not considered "resale" flats even though they are bought from HDB directly. After all, they are still old flats, occupied by previous owners.

During my flat selection, I asked the HDB officer why our flat is more expensive than the new ones. The price is enough to buy a new 5 rms flat in my area (Woodlands). The main reason he gave me is that our flat is readily available and we don't have to wait a few years for our new flat. If my wife isn't so adamantly wanted a flat of our own ASAP, I would rather wait for the upcoming Sep BTO and buy a 5 rms flat at that price.

Given that it is very likely that we may need to re-do the whole renovation of our flat, I would rather HDB hack away all the tiles for free and help me save on the hacking/hualage fees which from what i understand can comprise of a substantial portions of total renovation charges.

the $30k subsidy is for buying resale as buying resale need to pay for higher valuation. so if you are buying from HDB directly, the valuation is lower than what is resale. so in a way, you already "profit".

Hi Jay,

Do your numbers before you commit, it not like the price was not told to you before you select. It there, even before you ballot for it. That's to say , you accept the price.

In any case, if you ask me .. BTO is the always a better buy, given that it's brand new with new 99 yr lease etc. But dun forget if you dun buy existing flat, you will need to fork out rental if you are not staying with your parents. it's a number game. But not as straightforwards and apple = $1 and durian=$2 then apple is a better buy. :P Then why is everyone eating durian?!?

It's abit late to bargain with "HDB" liao for free this and that. I guess HDB already give you the best price. If you request for hacking etc.. all that will be factor into your buy price also..

*sheep hair come from sheep skin* no other way abt it.

Edited by HappyHouse88

My place is also a balanced flat. Likewise, I provided a list of things I want rectified but the contractor that we are liaising with is giving us so much of a headache.

For example:

The floor tiles in the Service yard were of different colours from those in the kitchen so we told the HDB guy that we want them in the same colour. The next time we went there...

The tiles were the same colour alright but the contractor didn't hack the old ones, he overlaid new tiles. We told the HDB and the contractor that this was unacceptable. What if we decided later during renovation discussions with our ID that we want to overlay? Then the tiles in the yard area will definitely need to go and I would have to bear the cost for hacking.

The window frames... the previous owner had grills installed but now that the grills have been removed, there are holes in my frame. HDB isn't going to change the frame.

i just got a repurchased flat from SOB too. If i am not wrong, they are suppose to change the item if it's faulty, though these flats we got are supposely 'heavily' subsidised, TC has to ensure that it is in live in condition. E.g there's a cracked tile on a tile, you can request them to change a new tile(same design of cos) or hack everything away. If the window is faulty, likewise they gotta change it!

Please do not accept their crap excuses, be firm, speak to someone of higher authority whom can make decisions.

Good luck!

Good morning! :)

My hub and I went up to take a look at the rectification process last Sat. Okay, the tiles in the service yard were hacked, but only half done. The plaster on the wall in the service yard have also cracked and fallen off. So far, no calls from them to say when the rectification process would be completed.

We will likely wait and see if all the items listed are rectified else I am ready to pen my complaint letter.

Does anyone know if the door to the bomb shelter can be changed? The door knob came off but the contractor / or whoever, pushed it back. There is rust on the bottom part of the door frame, and as a result, the door cannot be easily opened and closed. We have asked for the door to be changed, reason being, if I can't open and close the door myself, what good does a bomb shelter do me when an emergency happens?

Just keeping my fingers crossed and praying that the rectification works can proceed smoothly so that we can start on our reno works.

i just got a repurchased flat from SOB too. If i am not wrong, they are suppose to change the item if it's faulty, though these flats we got are supposely 'heavily' subsidised, TC has to ensure that it is in live in condition. E.g there's a cracked tile on a tile, you can request them to change a new tile(same design of cos) or hack everything away. If the window is faulty, likewise they gotta change it!

Please do not accept their crap excuses, be firm, speak to someone of higher authority whom can make decisions.

Good luck!

I just got my SOBF key earlier of this month at Sembawang area. We reported all defective to HDB and they send contractor to repair.

But my room tiles and hall tiles are a lot scratches and have small holes. But HDB officer said only toilet and kitchen tiles are under their maintenance since this is SOBF flat.

:( I also keep hearing this "This is the way it is as yours is a Balanced Flat." I also get this from my contractor but I feel that it is not right nor fair to us.

First is bought from HDB directly, so if they do not do the rectification, who can we turn to?

Secondly, the cost of the flat really isn't "balanced" price of that era (which ever time / year the flat was built in.)

Sigh... just be fair. We are not asking for the world. Be fair.

All the room lights are not working after i fix the light bulp. Then i call HDB complain again. Yesterday the HDB electrical technicion come down and noticed the previous HDB contractor never fix the cable at main power distributar unit for room lights.

The light sockets are very cheap quality. After screw the light bulp, the socket just came out. The 2nd HDB contractor change all defective socket and fix the problem...

Now days the ccontractor never follow the standard and HDB never do inspection after contractor complete their job..