Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Scorpio2525

Water Pipe - Ppr Or Copper

Hi, wondering if anyone who is rebuilding/renovating their homes used PPR instead of the traditional copper.

Any feedback so far? I understand that PPR is cheaper than copper, hence was wondering if I should use it instead. I have only read reviews from PPR manufacturers on the internet, hence seeking the views/opinions from fellow home owners.

Thanks.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Had the same confusion when i was building my place. Always thought should be Copper but my builder used PPR and i tot it was a more inferior grade coz my uncle used stainless steel!!!

In the end, consulted my aunt a hotel developer and she said PPR is the more common material used in the market coz it's a kind of plastic its inert so you won't get brownish waster. Well, before reconstruction, our house was on copper and the water was yellowish when we first turned on the tap, 60yr old piping, what to expect.

Apparently also quite easy to repair, say my TV console for my bedroom is behind the wall of my ensuite toilet, if the carpentry guy drill through the wall and hit the water piping, the contractor said there's no need to use solder or weld, just used some kind of silicone welding to fix it. Touch wood, i never seen it in action though. But i was told by developers that PPR is used in Sentosa island and most current projects also.

FYI. if you are reconstructing your house, don't forget the latest for skirting (marble or parquet) would be skirting fused into the wall. Means the the skirting don't stick out.

Thanks Pantileen, and for the tip on the skirting.

Does the water taste any different as compared to water from the typical copper pipe, e.g. 'plasticky taste' ?

My primary concern is PPR has only been used in market in the last 10 years, so juz wondering whether to go with tried and tested copper or a new product that is supposedly better. *headache* :unsure:

Thanks Pantileen, and for the tip on the skirting.

Does the water taste any different as compared to water from the typical copper pipe, e.g. 'plasticky taste' ?

My primary concern is PPR has only been used in market in the last 10 years, so juz wondering whether to go with tried and tested copper or a new product that is supposedly better. *headache* :unsure:

duno man u want to come and try my water?? hahaha

my mil drinks directly from the tap previous from HDB copper and now PPR she looks the same but doesn't look any younger so i guess no anti aging effect

duno man u want to come and try my water?? hahaha

my mil drinks directly from the tap previous from HDB copper and now PPR she looks the same but doesn't look any younger so i guess no anti aging effect

Lol, I drink from the tap too.

Look, whatever elixir property the Singapore "dragon estuary water" possesses, it will have diminished when distributed over kilometers of public pipings.

I was also as curious about PPR when the plumbler first described it, and had its reliability validated through another architect. The builder also assured by getting me to see it in two Sentosa bungalows he was building at that time.

But if TS is worried, I don't see any harm to VO for copper piping, for the peace of mind.

Cheers!

Edited by Lauer

Both PPR and copper are ok for use. But for PPR, only certain plumbers can do because it requires special tools to bond the PPR pipes together, and PPR pipes are also thicker, meaning, concealing it in brickwalls will require deeper hacking.

I go for copper, as it is easier to 'bend', easier to conceal in brickwalls and can be installed by any licensed plumber easily. Easier for future repairs and changes.

Thanks all for your responses, I have done more research and found that quite a large number of condos and private houses are using PPR these days instead of copper (dating back as early as 10 years ago), from one particular supplier's website.

Guess my comfort level with PPR is now better, and will be less biased against it.

Wondering if I can extract any cost savings by using PPR vis-a-vis copper. ;)

If you are doing A&A or reconstruction etc etc. Always get the phone number of the plumber (usually sub-con) if they install it, they should be able to fix it later.

But most established builder will be around even if you need after sales service. For myself, when my auto gate broke down (fuse blew), i called my builder and he arranged for the gate repair dude to come down fix it and pay direct to the gate repair dude. So there shouldn't be any problem fixing PPR piping.

I am currently rebuilding my place as well. My plumber will be using a combination of PPR and copper pipes. Copper pipes will be used for the shower areas and the main pipes will be using PPR.