Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
split84

Small House To Slightly Bigger House, From Little Saving To Alot Of Loans

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

To save cost, have you considered using shower curtains instead of a glass shower screen/door? I notice it will cost you $800+ for both your bathrooms.

Some people say shower curtains look "cheap." I think it really depends on the type of shower curtain you use. If you purchase the $6-$10 PVC kind, then yeah, it'll look cheap. But if you spend a little more you can get fabric (polyester) shower curtains which not only look nice, but feel nice.

And with shower curtains you can add colour/design to your bathroom quite easily. You can also make your bathroom look a bit bigger because you can pull the curtains back. With a shower door, it's fixed.

I also find that they're actually easier to clean. The big problem is usually mould, which appears at the bottom because it's close to the ground. What I do is I dilute some bleach in a bucket, then just soak the bottom of the curtain in the bucket. Don't even need to remove them. I can tell you it's a lot easier than scrubbing the watermarks/scum away from a shower screen door! :)

Just a thought :)

To save cost, have you considered using shower curtains instead of a glass shower screen/door? I notice it will cost you $800+ for both your bathrooms.

Some people say shower curtains look "cheap." I think it really depends on the type of shower curtain you use. If you purchase the $6-$10 PVC kind, then yeah, it'll look cheap. But if you spend a little more you can get fabric (polyester) shower curtains which not only look nice, but feel nice.

And with shower curtains you can add colour/design to your bathroom quite easily. You can also make your bathroom look a bit bigger because you can pull the curtains back. With a shower door, it's fixed.

I also find that they're actually easier to clean. The big problem is usually mould, which appears at the bottom because it's close to the ground. What I do is I dilute some bleach in a bucket, then just soak the bottom of the curtain in the bucket. Don't even need to remove them. I can tell you it's a lot easier than scrubbing the watermarks/scum away from a shower screen door! :)

Just a thought :)

Thanks for the recommendation but I don't really like shower curtain cuz it turn mouldy easily and I have young children at home hygiene wise I will be more careful

Thanks for the recommendation but I don't really like shower curtain cuz it turn mouldy easily and I have young children at home hygiene wise I will be more careful

Totally agree with u.....I have no regrets doing up both bathrroms with shower screen.:sport-smiley-018:

I'm deciding between the two. I have shower screens where I live now, but I hate how it occupies space. But mostly, I hate the soap scums that are ridiculous to clean.

But I recall staying in hotels with shower curtains, and those irritated me as well as they tend to billow in and stick to you when bathing. Super gross.

I'm deciding between the two. I have shower screens where I live now, but I hate how it occupies space. But mostly, I hate the soap scums that are ridiculous to clean.

But I recall staying in hotels with shower curtains, and those irritated me as well as they tend to billow in and stick to you when bathing. Super gross.

I've actually used shower curtains all my life. I've never had major problems with mould. Yes, after a while mould can start growing at the bottom of the shower curtain where it is typically damp. But it's usually just a few localised spots, not the whole bottom. To be honest, I'm not sure it's any dirtier or more unhygenic than a shower screen. Also, the silicone joints of a shower screen can also grow mould. I think mould's just a common problem in humid Singapore :)

Re: shower curtains shifting around and sticking to body parts, I personally have not experienced this before. I can see it happening, but only when used with a bathtub. It's a small space, and if the shower curtain is PVC, it tends to be more "sticky." I have polyester shower curtains which don't have this problem. They're thicker and textured. I'm actually a lot happier with my shower curtain in the common bathroom than with my shower screen in the master toilet. In fact, we shower in the common toilet because we just like how our shower curtain looks. It's quite relaxing just looking at it. Also much easier to clean :)

2338_G_1319024074846.jpg

But the important thing is to do what you're comfortable with. If you're used to a shower screen, go for it!

I've actually used shower curtains all my life. I've never had major problems with mould. Yes, after a while mould can start growing at the bottom of the shower curtain where it is typically damp. But it's usually just a few localised spots, not the whole bottom. To be honest, I'm not sure it's any dirtier or more unhygenic than a shower screen. Also, the silicone joints of a shower screen can also grow mould. I think mould's just a common problem in humid Singapore :)

Re: shower curtains shifting around and sticking to body parts, I personally have not experienced this before. I can see it happening, but only when used with a bathtub. It's a small space, and if the shower curtain is PVC, it tends to be more "sticky." I have polyester shower curtains which don't have this problem. They're thicker and textured. I'm actually a lot happier with my shower curtain in the common bathroom than with my shower screen in the master toilet. In fact, we shower in the common toilet because we just like how our shower curtain looks. It's quite relaxing just looking at it. Also much easier to clean :)

2338_G_1319024074846.jpg

But the important thing is to do what you're comfortable with. If you're used to a shower screen, go for it!

Definitely going to give this some thought. Still deciding!

There are ways to cut down budget..e.g avoid branded expensive furnitures coz you can change to new furnitures once the design is outdated, year end bonus (ho seh liao) or furnitures up lorry bopian must change. Cheap furnitures you throw also won't heartpain. Just need to find something you like. But for shower screens which gonna last for a long time and it probably won't cost you so much as some furnitures. I personally would go for it.

Thanks for all the advise on shower curtain but the taught of having my kids playing Bollywood with the curtain is quite horrible..

I had shower curtains before..... the cleaning part is not that esay.... after a while the yellow stains are difficult to clean.... glass panel is much easier to clean.

Most shower curtain are opaque, but of course there r translucent ones..... not too safe to check on kids. Easy to check the kids as glass is transparent for shower screen.

Although shower curtain looks pretty, I still go for shower screen.

Just my 2cents worth :rolleyes:

Received a few pm concerning my budget, really thanks fellow forumer here for being so helpful. Anyway I have check with my contractor that my rewiring work is already inclusive of additional lighting points, electrical points, LAN points and scv point. 3.4k is the lump sum he give me..