Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kooky

K's Home

Oic...so I guess you opt to extend your kitchen right?

How much it cost to build a roof top?

Yes as we will be installing the sink in the service yard/balcony.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Yes, we extended our kitchen to utilize the service yard. However, we are not allowed to level-up the service yard to the same height as the kitchen :-(

The roofing cost quoted is $4500.

Edited by kooky

My EM came with a roof top...initally i plan to hack it off (cost $300 only) to restore the balcony for cosy corner as well as hang clothes.

But after thinking, we decided to keep the roof top (cost saving) and extend the kitchen instead. So we going to hack off the window and door access from kitchen to balcony.

Yes, we extended our kitchen to utilize the service yard. However, we are not allowed to level-up the service yard to the same height as the kitchen :-(

The roofing cost quoted is $4500.

If the balcony is extended from the lviing area/hall, we will definitely keep it. However, it is extended from the kitchen, then we decided to use that area solely for laundry (e.g. washer and dryer) and hence, I called it a service yard rather than balcony.

As we have sectioned out the kitchen to make an additional, we will need to extend the service yard to accommodate the sink for the already downsized kitchen.

I miss the veranda that we have in my spouse's house where we can do BBQ and a nice place to chill out.

Just have to make do with whatever is available. Such is life.

Edited by kooky

Ic...think we are having the same layout for the balcony then.

How are you going to hang/dry your laundry with the roof top?

I am having headache on this...haha.

If the balcony is extended from the lviing area/hall, we will definitely keep it. However, it is extended from the kitchen, then we decided to use that area solely for laundry (e.g. washer and dryer) and hence, I called it a service yard rather than balcony.

As we have sectioned out the kitchen to make an additional, we will need to extend the service yard to accommodate the sink for the already downsized kitchen.

I miss the veranda that we have in my spouse's house where we can do BBQ and a nice place to chill out.

Just have to make do with whatever is available. Such is life.

The roof top doesn't change the way we dry our clothes....LOL! Either we use bamboo or use rack. With the roof, it only prevent direct sunlight especially on a hot day or if you have some high-rise litterbug (inconsiderate neighbour above), I suppose a roof will be good.

HDB doesn't permit us to use the space above. The void area shown on the floor plan will still remain the same - untouched.

In my era, we are so used to drying our clothes out using bamboo and I love the smell of the Sun!! But my spouse hates it; he said this method is so old-fashioned and commented that in Condos and countries in Europe, they dont use bamboo sticks. So each time after washing, I have to lay my tumble-dry clothes on the drying rack. That's why I am buying a dryer.

Not much I can do really since my spouse is so strongly against bamboo sticks!

What do you intend to do, myrick88?

Edited by kooky

No, EM does not have bamboo holes. We have bamboo hooks in the service yard but I am not sure if they will obstruct the roofing and the contractor might remove them.

No, EM does not have bamboo holes. We have bamboo hooks in the service yard but I am not sure if they will obstruct the roofing and the contractor might remove them.

Hi kooky

Think your contractor will remove the bamboo holders. Anyway, u may want to explore bamboo holder from your MBR window, I.e. over the rooftop. Authority will pass since that is your own void area. But practicality wise, needs further pondering. :)

Hi kooky

Other options to explore include buying the ring hooks from ikea, mount to the two sides of the external wall, I.e. outside your service yard window, connect string or stainless steel metal wire and use the wire as a base. Buy drying rack like saloons drying their towels? Old fashioned a bit, buy a pair of bamboo holder stands and dry outside your unit or make use of the common area one staircase up your unit? :)

Thanks for the suggestions, Ken!

I think the option to hang clothes over the rooftop from my MBR, he might think this is out of the norm since his culture, they do not sun/dry clothes in the bedroom.

I like the idea of having ring hooks and and bamboo holder stands. But where can I get the bamboo holder stands?

I'm also having headache on how to dry the laundry when I move into my EM. Realized that 2nd gen EM does not have those bamboo pole holders for drying. So I guess the only methods are as mentioned above and dryer. Ya I like the "fresh sun smell" too

Thanks for the suggestions, Ken!

I think the option to hang clothes over the rooftop from my MBR, he might think this is out of the norm since his culture, they do not sun/dry clothes in the bedroom.

I like the idea of having ring hooks and and bamboo holder stands. But where can I get the bamboo holder stands?

The ring hooks are available at ikea. Must say that, that is the most safe, less risky way. Clothes are light, thread wont hurt. But I m more of high risk high return. My appetite for risks very high. I opt for others. :) explore and find what is best for your needs loh. :)

Yeah, still trying to find other options :-)

I try to google for bamboo holder stands but can't seem to see any supplier that carry this product?

Might go for clothes lines which is the simplest and convenient option.

Yeah, still trying to find other options :-)

I try to google for bamboo holder stands but can't seem to see any supplier that carry this product?

Might go for clothes lines which is the simplest and convenient option.

Hahaha,

Maybe the cheapest and most convntional method not mentioned. Those typical pair of bamboo stands when enquired at hardware shops loh. :)