Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
3Dyms

Mon Petite Chateau @ Bt Batok

I am sorry to hear about your plight. Just a month ago, we faced a similar situation with our dishonest seller.

Are you taking a HDB loan or bank loan? If it is the former, usually HDB will want to complete the whole transaction as soon as possible eg 5-6 weeks. I suggest don't alert the seller now, go for the 1st appointment and sign the papers. Cos after the 1st appointment, the seller can't back out & have to die die sell already. Standby your agent to fight for you to push for an earlier 2nd appointment. Hold back your agency's commission also till you have seen your agent really putting his best to help you. You can also consult your assigned HDB officer and pre-empt him/her. Not sure if HDB will help but it is usually their policy not to interfere.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Sad to hear about the possible delay, but I think both sides must be agreeable to the date and not for one side to dictate. Usually the HDB officer would also want to push for the earliest completion date.

Since the sellers did not stick to the original verbal agreement, get them to compensate for the additional 2 weeks of rental. Or at least the Seller Agt should cover for it. I have seen cases where the agt had to cover for their clients' actions. Get your agent to negotiate this point if you have one.

As for the renovation, 8-weeks is possible with careful planning. Identify the bottlenecks such as hacking permits and carpentry and work on those. Hacking permit approval can take up to a month if there is a need for PE endorsement and appeals. So submit the application way before the completion data. You might need some help from the sellers here.

For carpentry, make sure your carpenter's schedule is clear to meet your reno deadline. Noted a number of delays in carpentry brought up by T-bloggers and especially if everybody is rushing to move in before the 7th month. Also find out if any carpentry have to wait for the wall to be hacked for final measurements, as thare might be a delay if the hacking approvals are held up.

Hope all will be alright.

Thanks for all the advise. The seller said if I agree to 8-weeks completion, then they will help me to sign the indemnity form first so that my renovation can start immediately upon handover. They will also allow my contractor & carpenter to go over for the measurements first. Guess I'm stuck lor. Cos if I insist on 6-weeks completion, I can only apply for the permit after the handover which means delay in starting Reno. **** catch 22 situation!! :furious:

I've now informed the seller agent that they will need to sign the indemnity form for me on the 1st appointment. No sign = no 8-weeks completion. I dun want them to start other nonsense & delay tactics later. Then my contractor & carpenter will go down for measurements in last week of April.

Hopefully I'm able to sort out majority of the Reno & carpentry stuffs and iron out any kinks in advance. Both my contractor & carpenter assured that they should be done within 8-weeks (baring unforeseen circumstances). Well.... can only cross my fingers & hope for the best. :help:

Edited by 3Dyms

I am sorry to hear about your plight. Just a month ago, we faced a similar situation with our dishonest seller.

Are you taking a HDB loan or bank loan? If it is the former, usually HDB will want to complete the whole transaction as soon as possible eg 5-6 weeks. I suggest don't alert the seller now, go for the 1st appointment and sign the papers. Cos after the 1st appointment, the seller can't back out & have to die die sell already. Standby your agent to fight for you to push for an earlier 2nd appointment. Hold back your agency's commission also till you have seen your agent really putting his best to help you. You can also consult your assigned HDB officer and pre-empt him/her. Not sure if HDB will help but it is usually their policy not to interfere.

I'm taking bank loan. When i called HDB, they said completion is 6-8 weeks. But cos I've already sold my current property, and funds will be back in CPF before the 2nd Appt, then HDB would prefer 6-weeks completion. But the catch - if either party not willing to settle for 6-weeks, they can stretch the completion to max of 8-weeks. 8|

Too bad I don't hv agent to fight my cause for me cos I buy without using agent. Then again, even if I have agent, doubt the agent can push much lor. The other side reason that they don't hv place to stay cos the rental unit not avail. So I can't possibly throw them out onto the streets. To prevent anymore delays, I agreed to 8-weeks completion based on the seller signing the Reno indemnity form on the 1st appointment. This way, my Reno can start immediately upon handover.. If I insists on 6-weeks completion, then I hv to arrange Reno permit after handover. So will kena delay on starting Reno. Real crappy situation to be caught in.

Anyway, I believe in karma. What goes around comes around. They will get their own retribution some day. :bleah:

I am so upset now. My 1st Appt is next Tuesday. Just got a call from the seller agent that they will need 8-weeks completion for 2nd appt. Previously when we signed the OTP, it was agreed that the sale will be completed ASAP as we need to shift in before August (Chinese 7lunar month). Seller was agreeable. Some more at that time, we were supposed to have 1st appointment on 2nd April. But cos the seller (so coincidence) is away on business trip. The 1st appointment was pushed back till 16Apr (2-weeks delay). We already so understanding at this point.

Now, they want 8-weeks completion! That means 2nd appointment which was planned to be on 28 May (6-weeks completion), is now delayed till 10-Jun. :furious:

Including the delay for the 1st appointment, that's a total of 4-weeks delay in total. They are not keeping to their word to allow us to complete the sale ASAP! Their reason for not being able to have 6-weeks completion is that their rental unit which they are shifting into, will not be avail till 09 Jun. 8|

I'm ssoo angry now. Cos my things in storage will incur more rental due to these delays. In addition, my Reno now only have about 8-weeks to complete if I want to shift in before 7 lunar month. Dunno if my contractor can do it. I scared if contractor side kena delays, then I'm stucked and cannot shift in till after lunar 7 month. Which means more storage rental costs again!! :furious:

Hi 3Dyms, FYI if ur seller is taking bank loan, sometimes lawyer may need a longer time for bank redemption. Assuming u left 8 weeks for renovation, it's better to tell ur contractor 7 weeks & give urself another week buffer incase contractor delay. Initially I told my ID I need the house on end Mar (which is more than 10 weeks including CNY), but till now (12 weeks liao) still have not complete. However, hope u can try to negotiate for 6-7 weeks completion during ur 1st appt.. Good luck. :yamseng:

Hi 3Dyms, FYI if ur seller is taking bank loan, sometimes lawyer may need a longer time for bank redemption. Assuming u left 8 weeks for renovation, it's better to tell ur contractor 7 weeks & give urself another week buffer incase contractor delay. Initially I told my ID I need the house on end Mar (which is more than 10 weeks including CNY), but till now (12 weeks liao) still have not complete. However, hope u can try to negotiate for 6-7 weeks completion during ur 1st appt.. Good luck. :yamseng:

Oh... That's a good idea. Thank you for advising this. Yes. I'd better tell my contractor they only hv 7-weeks to complete and hv 1-week buffer just in case, Really pray hard the Reno will go smooth smooth. Don't want anymore delays. My pocket can't afford to burn more hole liaoz. :bangwall:

• Like 1

Oh... That's a good idea. Thank you for advising this. Yes. I'd better tell my contractor they only hv 7-weeks to complete and hv 1-week buffer just in case, Really pray hard the Reno will go smooth smooth. Don't want anymore delays. My pocket can't afford to burn more hole liaoz. :bangwall:

Another tips for u. U can ask ur contractor to finish one of the room (ideally in level one) first, incase ur contractor delay (touch wood), u still can put ur things in that room to save on the storage.. Always plan ahead incase there hiccups.. Hope it helps.. :yamseng:

I'm taking bank loan. When i called HDB, they said completion is 6-8 weeks. But cos I've already sold my current property, and funds will be back in CPF before the 2nd Appt, then HDB would prefer 6-weeks completion. But the catch - if either party not willing to settle for 6-weeks, they can stretch the completion to max of 8-weeks. 8|

Too bad I don't hv agent to fight my cause for me cos I buy without using agent. Then again, even if I have agent, doubt the agent can push much lor. The other side reason that they don't hv place to stay cos the rental unit not avail. So I can't possibly throw them out onto the streets. To prevent anymore delays, I agreed to 8-weeks completion based on the seller signing the Reno indemnity form on the 1st appointment. This way, my Reno can start immediately upon handover.. If I insists on 6-weeks completion, then I hv to arrange Reno permit after handover. So will kena delay on starting Reno. Real crappy situation to be caught in.

Anyway, I believe in karma. What goes around comes around. They will get their own retribution some day. :bleah:

We took a bank loan too and notified the bank's appointed lawyer about our case. She is really nice; she talked to the HDB officer and tried their best to help us to find out what we can do. Since you are taking a bank loan, you can seek advice from the lawyer processing the loan and resale documents for you.

Another tips for u. U can ask ur contractor to finish one of the room (ideally in level one) first, incase ur contractor delay (touch wood), u still can put ur things in that room to save on the storage.. Always plan ahead incase there hiccups.. Hope it helps.. :yamseng:

Wow!! What a fantastic idea! Yes. I'll definitely ask my contractor if this is possible. Will be great if I can do this & save $$$ on storage. Thanks for all the great advise. :dancingqueen:

Wow!! What a fantastic idea! Yes. I'll definitely ask my contractor if this is possible. Will be great if I can do this & save $$$ on storage. Thanks for all the great advise. :dancingqueen:

No problem. We share information and knowledge.. :yamseng:

We took a bank loan too and notified the bank's appointed lawyer about our case. She is really nice; she talked to the HDB officer and tried their best to help us to find out what we can do. Since you are taking a bank loan, you can seek advice from the lawyer processing the loan and resale documents for you.

Hhmm... I managed to contact my lawyer today and he advised that the seller has a right to complete the sale up to a max of 8-weeks under the stupid HDB rulings. Nothing much we can do here. But... if the seller drag till after 8-weeks, then we will hv a legal right to charge them interests on our loan plus other costs for everyday that is extended. So right now, I'm just waiting to see how things pan out. Starting with the 1st appointment next week. Hopefully no more monkey business cos I'll no longer play nice after this. Have already been a real understanding buyer thus far. So they better not push my buttons further. My lawyer said he is on standby if the need arises. :deal:

Hmmm prioritize your carpentry. Do those that you die die need first.

Good idea. The first main essential will be the kitchen, then wardrobes, followed by the rest like bookshelves and study tables. Need to make sure the carpenter is aware of this. :good:

Tomorrow is my 1st Appointment. Can't wait.... Ssooo excited. Hope everything goes off smoothly and the seller signs the indemnity form as promised. Else I will also 'Chu' pattern liaoz.

Meanwhile.... Hv been busy over the weekend looking for reno stuffs and need some advises:

1) Gas hob versus Induction hob - Which better?

I'm looking at getting the Taiyo TH-IB229 2 hob induction cooker. I'm not a heavy cooker, usually only stir fry some simple vegs, meat and cook soups for dinner only. For deep fry stuffs, I'll use my air fryer. I'm using gas stove now, but thinking induction will be better for safety with 3 kids about.

2) Downlights - LED or normal PLC?

Hub feels that LED is more expensive. In addition, the driver are usually the ones that spoil first and will need electrician to come & change it. Means more $$$ outgoing again cos - driver $30 plus electrician fee = more then $50 per visit. So if the LED driver spoil 1-by-1, simply not economical to keep calling electrician. If not, hv to wait for a few more drivers to spoil also, then call electrician. On other hand, PLC lights r cheaper, the ballast last longer about 5-yrs but hassle to change light bulbs.

3) LED TV - Samsung or LG? Smart tv or normal?

Now for TV's. We are quite sure we want to get LED. But which brand is better? Samsung or LG? Then hor.... If I no need to use Internet for the TV, then should just get normal LED TV right? But yesterday, I went to Best Denki, the sales guy recommend us to get a 46" Samsung Full HD Smart TV (UA46ES7500) cos it's on offer now at $2,388 instead of RRP of $4,999. Is this model worth it? Good price? Or just stick to normal LED?

All advises appreciated. :)

Tomorrow is my 1st Appointment. Can't wait.... Ssooo excited. Hope everything goes off smoothly and the seller signs the indemnity form as promised. Else I will also 'Chu' pattern liaoz.

Meanwhile.... Hv been busy over the weekend looking for reno stuffs and need some advises:

1) Gas hob versus Induction hob - Which better?

I'm looking at getting the Taiyo TH-IB229 2 hob induction cooker. I'm not a heavy cooker, usually only stir fry some simple vegs, meat and cook soups for dinner only. For deep fry stuffs, I'll use my air fryer. I'm using gas stove now, but thinking induction will be better for safety with 3 kids about.

2) Downlights - LED or normal PLC?

Hub feels that LED is more expensive. In addition, the driver are usually the ones that spoil first and will need electrician to come & change it. Means more $$$ outgoing again cos - driver $30 plus electrician fee = more then $50 per visit. So if the LED driver spoil 1-by-1, simply not economical to keep calling electrician. If not, hv to wait for a few more drivers to spoil also, then call electrician. On other hand, PLC lights r cheaper, the ballast last longer about 5-yrs but hassle to change light bulbs.

3) LED TV - Samsung or LG? Smart tv or normal?

Now for TV's. We are quite sure we want to get LED. But which brand is better? Samsung or LG? Then hor.... If I no need to use Internet for the TV, then should just get normal LED TV right? But yesterday, I went to Best Denki, the sales guy recommend us to get a 46" Samsung Full HD Smart TV (UA46ES7500) cos it's on offer now at $2,388 instead of RRP of $4,999. Is this model worth it? Good price? Or just stick to normal LED?

All advises appreciated. :)

Here's my opinion (based on my limited knowledge) :P

1) If you stir fry a lot, I assume things like how fragrant the onion or garlic is matters? Induction hobs will not satisfy in that aspect, because they don't brown the spices as well as a direct fire does (gas hob) does. We don't cook much, and most of our cooking involves making soups, so we went with induction.

2) Use LEDs for areas that you'll use often. They last longer, and should not run into problems anytime soon. If they do, your lights supplier must be willing to replace for you because LEDs are not supposed to break down so soon. They're supposed to last years. But then again, I don't know what PLC lights are :P I only know of LED vs halogen.

3) Samsung! There are others who will vote LG, for many good reasons too. Samsung is pricier, but Samsung's technology is faster than LG's. Depends on how into these things you are. If you're just a normal user, and you don't really care about these things, just pick the one that you like the most and think is the best bargain! Don't get a Smart TV unless you're going to use all the features. Otherwise, it's pretty much useless.

Hope that helped! :)

Here's my opinion (based on my limited knowledge) tongue.gif

1) If you stir fry a lot, I assume things like how fragrant the onion or garlic is matters? Induction hobs will not satisfy in that aspect, because they don't brown the spices as well as a direct fire does (gas hob) does. We don't cook much, and most of our cooking involves making soups, so we went with induction.

2) Use LEDs for areas that you'll use often. They last longer, and should not run into problems anytime soon. If they do, your lights supplier must be willing to replace for you because LEDs are not supposed to break down so soon. They're supposed to last years. But then again, I don't know what PLC lights are tongue.gif I only know of LED vs halogen.

3) Samsung! There are others who will vote LG, for many good reasons too. Samsung is pricier, but Samsung's technology is faster than LG's. Depends on how into these things you are. If you're just a normal user, and you don't really care about these things, just pick the one that you like the most and think is the best bargain! Don't get a Smart TV unless you're going to use all the features. Otherwise, it's pretty much useless.

Hope that helped! smile.gif

Hi Summer,

Thanks for the advise.

1) Yesterday, after our 2nd Appt, hub & me went down to the Teka showroom. End up we decided to get a 2-hob gas cooker using glass. Hub don't like the idea of having to buy special woks & pans for the induction cooker. Plus like you said, since I stir fry things, I like to fry till my garlic & onions r nicely brown & fragrant. After using gas ssoo many years, I am scared cannot get used to induction cooker. The sales also mentioned that induction is not for everyone. Another no good point about induction is the amperes. A 3 hob cooker already uses 30amp. Means if using induction, I cannot switch on my aircon at the same time or the power will trip as we r only allowed to use max 40amp in HDB flats. We also end up buying our sink, tap & canopy hood all from Teka. 👍😁

2) next stop was Balestier to look at lights. Hub is keen on LED but we don't want those LED lights with drivers cos very ley chey to change the driver. So we r thinking of getting the normal light holders, but use LED Bulbs instead of those normal PLC energy saving bulbs with ballast. Anyone using this method for downlights? One of the shops we went to, recommended us to use 2x 10watt LED bulbs in a 6" holder. He quoting us $78 per set. Is this expensive? Do I really need to use 10watt LED? I tot 5 watts for LED is enough?

3) Hub is looking now at Samsung too. He said can wait till July to get cos he wants to wait for GSS. ☺

Edited by 3Dyms

LED seem to be the in thing now so everyone is getting it but really is LED going to save more than energy saving bulb...normally we dun on our lights 24/7 so even if there's savings also not much moreover a gd brand LED cost more so u can easily change a few energy saving bulb n energy saving bulb can b quite lasting too...gd thing abt LED is least heat produce..other than tat I think I still stick to energy saving light for the time being

As for TV..I prefer Sony cos if u do some research online, alot of pple complain tat Samsung break down easily n their TV gets heated up faster...if watching normal TV, the pic qty will be the same wif all bands cos depends on ur source but its the color tat diff the bands n Sony color is the best...btw I'm not working for Sony, just do some research n ask ard then decide...anyway no rush in getting TV cos the price will keep dropping...all the best for ur Reno :-)