Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zihui

Mission Impossible

Hey small and functional is fine! Why don't you share some pictures...even floor plan with some handwritten scribbling will do...maybe we can help :)

for our kitchen, we knew it had to be cozy and warm after dinner so that we can chill out with a bottle of wine...and if we have friends over...the cozy lighting will entice them to stay longer :)

hahhahaha

not to mention the cozy gathering point at your balcony!

I'm sure you have many friends scrambling at the chance to first enjoy your cooking, then kick back and chill out in such a cozy house over a bottle (or several) of wine.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Dont worry babe. Am sure JT bought some lovely taps to replace... Dun stress yrself too much ya

i don't know what to hope for honestly.

Lovely taps normally come at a price.

Functional, cheap taps normally aren't lovely.

That's why I find myself in a quandary now - which am I secretly hoping for? That he bought us lovely substitutable taps/faucets that will drive our budget into overdrive? Or that he bought us cheap taps/faucets which serve their purpose but certainly don't look as nice as the ones we'll have to sacrifice.....

All to be answered by tonight. Guess I'll only discover what I'm secretly hoping for when I see the replacement taps and feel either disappointment / relief.

i don't know what to hope for honestly.

Lovely taps normally come at a price.

Functional, cheap taps normally aren't lovely.

That's why I find myself in a quandary now - which am I secretly hoping for? That he bought us lovely substitutable taps/faucets that will drive our budget into overdrive? Or that he bought us cheap taps/faucets which serve their purpose but certainly don't look as nice as the ones we'll have to sacrifice.....

All to be answered by tonight. Guess I'll only discover what I'm secretly hoping for when I see the replacement taps and feel either disappointment / relief.

Fingers crossed for u then!

At least faucets and mixers can be replaced once you get bored of them :) tb is always there for u when hands itchy. Haha

Edited by greglhc

Fingers crossed for u then!

At least faucets and mixers can be replaced once you get bored of them :) tb is always there for u when hands itchy. Haha

Thanks for the kind words greg - and I agree with you, thankfully faucets and mixers can be replaced reasonably easily, thanks to the power of TB!

Anyway, in the end, JT was able to work around the basin tap issues so we can use the toilet taps that we bought from TB. The kitchen tap is, unfortunately, a different story however - it's still too tall for my kitchen. Therefore our ID went out yesterday morning to get us a replacement kitchen tap - a functional one with the right height. *sigh* Thankfully, a fellow Renotalker has already contacted me and offered to buy our kitchen faucet & mixer from us, so at least our gorgeous piece won't go to waste. *phew*

I was on leave yesterday so I spent the day at the unit watching the workers in action and taking photos. As we enter the final lap of the renovation works, things are moving very quickly with separate teams working on different parts of the house at the same time. Therefore the entire place really resembles a war zone at times with everyone moving around haphazardly at a hectic pace. When I was there yesterday, there were 3 teams working on different areas simultaneously (four teams, if you count bro Eric as well who came down to deliver and install the ceiling fan).

Some quick photo updates -

1) The ground floor common toilet is more or less complete (the installation of the light fittings will take place today). WCs have been installed for all 3 toilets but the basins have not been installed for the toilets on the 2nd floor as we'll be making vanity tops and storage cabinets for the toilets upstairs. No such thing for the ground floor common toilet so all the necessary installations were carried out there first -

h7bv.jpg

WC also installed in the common toilet upstairs - the installation of the basins will take place on Friday after the vanity tops and storage cabinets have been delivered and installed -

k6qy.jpg

Our rainshower sets & mixers have also been installed for the 2 toilet/bathrooms on the 2nd storey - and I must say that I'm very pleased with the quality of the sets that we purchased from TB. Here's a shot of the rainshower set that's installed in the 2nd storey common toilet -

xi08.jpg

The door frame has also been completed as per our FSM's precise instructions. Now all that's missing is the main door which will be delivered and installed within this week. If you look at the photo, you can still see the masking tape which the FSM left on the floor to depict the precise angle at which the main door has to be tilted to -

dafb.jpg

Also complete is the painting of the exterior walls above the balcony. I know that I neglected to take a photo of the previous state the wall was in, but trust me when I say that it was extremely worn out, dirty and peeling. As we're on the top floor, our balcony's ceiling is extremely high. The painting team was initially hesitant to paint the exterior of the block for us because they claim that it's the responsibility of the HDB / Town Council to maintain the outlook of the block's exterior. However, JT managed to convince them to do so - which resulted in several workers leaning precariously out of our 2nd floor windows manipulating paint rollers that were attached to several bamboo poles tied together. I kept wondering if they would smack me if I snuck up behind them and yelled, "BOO!" just to see their reaction. I'm thrilled with the final smooth, clean and pristine result -

tjjl.jpg

Edited by zihui

Further updates (that's what happens when you're on leave and spend the whole day at the unit):

The intended cove lights at the staircase have been boxed up, awaiting the installation of the light fittings by today. As the grinding and varnishing of all the Burmese teakwood parquet surfaces will be taking place this afternoon, all the works and light fitting installations for the staircase and the 2nd storey have to be completed before the commencement of the grinding. Here's how the cove lights currently look (without the installation of the LED tubes and without the exterior paint) -

lxxs.jpg

I also took the chance yesterday to take photos of the Tom Dixon beat lights which I purchased from TB (totally forgot to take photos of them last weekend) -

All securely wrapped up and nicely boxed up:

shak.jpg

Unwrapping one of them to check out the exterior condition:

n2vg.jpg

And I am LOVING how they look on the inside as well. They'll be installed at the dining area by today so I can only imagine how gorgeous the lights will look this evening...

b6yj.jpg

As mentioned earlier, the most exciting part of yesterday's progress was the fact that the lights installation has begun!!! Due to the need to make room for the teakwood parquet team to work this afternoon, it was imperative for the lights to be installed in all 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and the cove light at the staircase to be completed by this morning. So the electrical team got to work yesterday afternoon. Here's a photo of the workers measuring, painstakingly drawing and manually cutting out the holes in the false ceilings so that they can run the wires and install the downlights accordingly -

hdgi.jpg

(cont'd updates):

While one worker is in charge of cutting out the required sizes and shapes in the false ceiling, another worker is running the required wires within the false ceiling so that the LED downlights can be installed -

4n5g.jpg

Here's a shot of them working in the MBR bathroom under the watchful eye of the ID (and the first ever photo of the elusive JT!) -

9k2r.jpg

They also had to lay out a mock up of my walk in wardrobe (the wire trunking laid out on the floor) to ensure that the placements of the LED downlights are accurate and that the measurements are precise -

lobn.jpg

AND.... OUR LED DOWNLIGHTS ARE INSTALLED! (some of them at least hahahaha)

Here's a photo of the LED Downlights in the MBR (please kindly excuse the mess - I did say that the entire apartment resembles a warzone right now):

6tfc.jpg

And a photo of the LED downlights in the MBR toilet -

8bh5.jpg

Sorry, all photos were taken using my iphone so they don't really do it justice. Warm LED downlights were used, so they look much better in real life *beam*

(cont'd updates) -

Here's the layout of the LED downlights in the room that'll be converted into my walk-in wardrobe:

xote.jpg

As mentioned above, bro Eric delivered and installed our Fanco ceiling fan yesterday. While it may not be as prestigious as a Haiku ceiling fan, we're happy enough with the selected fan - and boy, is it strong!

Here's a close up of the installed ceiling fan -

g43n.jpg

We're loving it, so thanks bro Eric! Another satisfied Renotalk customer added to your list! *grin*

I know that the priority should have been the installation of the LED downlights on the 2nd storey so that the teakwood parquet team can carry out their grinding and varnishing works today.... but I couldn't resist. I made a special request to JT for the electrical team to install the bright LED downlights for the living room as well as the warm cove lights (living room) first so that we don't have to fumble around in the dark whenever we visit the apartment after knocking off. He acceded to my request and well.... LET THERE BE LIGHT!

Here's how the living room's false ceiling looks like when we just turn on the LED downlights (bright light):

dwwp.jpg

And here's another shot if we just opt to turn on the cove lights (warm light):

hn3j.jpg

And what does it look like if we are in dire need of brightness and choose to turn on both types of lights at the same time? Well, I'm glad you asked -

1g7.JPG

It's been an incredibly busy day and things are really going full steam ahead right now.

We've got more busy days ahead of us and I cannot wait to rush down to the unit after work today. By right, all of the lights should have been installed for the entire house, the grinding and varnishing of all the Burmese teakwood parquet surfaces should be complete. Can't wait to see how it'll look like by the end of the day! :sport-smiley-004:

hi zihui, im just starting out to think of my house reno. ur cove lights look lovely, is it a hollow inside? did ur ID tell u how it should be cleaned? - pardon my noobness

Wow! No wonder u boughy soooo many downlights. Even toilet uses downlights! But u will save alot in the long run. Led last a looooong time!

Tom dixon lights are super chio! Cant wait to see more photos!

Well done Zihui your mission is going to complete.

Thanks soonliew!

Another week or so to go... Fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly.

hi zihui, im just starting out to think of my house reno. ur cove lights look lovely, is it a hollow inside? did ur ID tell u how it should be cleaned? - pardon my noobness

Hi yixipixie,

Congrats on the commencement of your reno journey!! It's going to be unforgettable. Do share the journey with the fellow Renotalkers. I've learnt so much from them and they're all so friendly!

Are you referring to the cove lights on my staircase or the living room's cove lights? Naturally, the ones at the staircase are a lot easier to clean *grin*

However, the ones at the living room are a lot harder. Thankfully, these are things that we don't have to clean every week *shhhhhh*

The HTB is quite tall so he's going to stand a chair and he'll be able to reach them. A simple wet cloth would suffice

Edited by zihui