Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Just to check what is the speed difference by using cable and those electrical plug that act as LAN ports ?

Was thinking of minimizing cable running in the house and my friend suggest I go with the Electrical LAN ports

As far as I know, the newer homeplug network adapters are rated up to gigabit or 1000Mbps but what is available locally are up to 500Mbps. From the feedback I have gathered at hardwarezone forums, the actual throughput is largely dependent on the condition of your electrical network and averages at around 10% of theoretical speed. Depending on what you use, the actual throughput may actually be lower than a good wireless-N or AC connection.

In the case of using network cables, the main advantages are that it is very reliable (unless there is a major cockup during termination) and that you need not invest in adapters, as in the case for homeplugs and wireless networks, since every modern desktop or laptop computers already come equipped with gigabit LAN ports. Gigabit switches are mainstream at the moment and even if 10-gigabit equipment suddenly become mainstream, cat6 cables are still able to support the bandwidth at lengths of up to 37m per connection in the worst case scenarios. Of course, the kiasu ones can choose to lay cat6a cables for future proofing.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

You don't need to have OpenNet point in every room. Only 1 OpenNet point is sufficient.

Reason: the OpenNet point will connect to a modem (provided by whom you subscribe e.g. Singtel, MyRepublic or Starhub), then from the modem you connect to your wifi router, and from your wifi router if it has built-in switch, you can lay network cables to other rooms.

OpenNet point -> Singtel modem -> Wifi router -> Network cables to other rooms or wifi signal

OpenNet is vendor-neutral. It depends on whom you subscribe for Internet. If you subscribe Singtel, Singtel will use the same OpenNet point but provide you with its Singtel modem. Likewise if you subscribe Starhub fibre for Internet, the same OpenNet point is used (unless you subscribe to Starhub Maxonline which uses SCV point and NOT OpenNet)

Thanks for your help. :good:

I'm curious about this network thinggy too. (Paisei, Me more of an IT idiot lol)

So if I wanna have an open net point in every room, Should I get the opennet ppl to do it or should I get the electician during reno?

I plan to get Singtel as Im using the hp line too. There's a bundle for annual upgrade.

I read quite sometime ago that singtel network point and starhub is different use or something like that.

Any advise for me?

Thanks!

Let me try to explain in details to the best of my knowledge.

DistributionBox.jpg

OpenNet runs on optical fibre network and ends in each home in the form of a TP (Termination Point), which is highlighted in purple in the photo above. Each home requires only one TP even if you subscribe to multiple services such as internet and pay-TV with different service providers. For new BTO homeowners, the optical fibre is already nicely concealed in the wall and there will not be any drilling of entry point and surface trunking above the main door into the unit.

From the TP, a optical fibre is connected to the ONT (Optical Network Termination) as pictured below. The ONT converts the optical input signal into an electrical signal in the form of LAN ports. The ONT is then connected to a modem provided by your service provider which usually has built-in wireless router functions.

As claypot has stated, the connection hierarchy will be TP > ONT > Modem > Wireless Router/Switch

Each service provider will only be allocated a specific LAN port. For example, you may subscribe to internet from service provider A, pay-TV from service provider B and they will be allocated port 1 and 2 respectively. If there is a LAN port (highlighted in blue) provided in the distribution box, you have the option of housing the ONT within the distribution box using the power point (highlighted in red) provided and then connecting it to the LAN port. The other end of the concealed LAN cable is located at the TV console area along with the coaxial cable and telephone points. You can then placed the modem at the TV console or reroute it to another location by laying your own network cable.

OpenNetONT.jpg

For my plan, I will either lay my own optical fibre from the distribution box to the TV console area and house my ONT at the TV console area for easy monitoring and reboot, if necessary. From there, the ONT will be linked to the modem in my study using additional network cabling.

Edited by mavicaste

Thank claypot and mavicaste.

Mine is a resale if that matters.

So first before reno, I will get open net to install the TP near my TV console area.

Thereafter during reno I will need to get the electrician to lay the points and network cables from my room to my TV console area? Correct?

So that after I move in I will need to set up like this:

OpenNet point -> Singtel modem -> Wifi router -> Network cables to other rooms or wifi signal

If Im taking up singtel fibre and mio tv, do I need to lay the LAN port as well?

What is the ONT har? Do I still need it if im not using the LAN port?

Sorry, I'm a total noob at this IT thing. :lol:

As far as I know, the newer homeplug network adapters are rated up to gigabit or 1000Mbps but what is available locally are up to 500Mbps. From the feedback I have gathered at hardwarezone forums, the actual throughput is largely dependent on the condition of your electrical network and averages at around 10% of theoretical speed. Depending on what you use, the actual throughput may actually be lower than a good wireless-N or AC connection.

In the case of using network cables, the main advantages are that it is very reliable (unless there is a major cockup during termination) and that you need not invest in adapters, as in the case for homeplugs and wireless networks, since every modern desktop or laptop computers already come equipped with gigabit LAN ports. Gigabit switches are mainstream at the moment and even if 10-gigabit equipment suddenly become mainstream, cat6 cables are still able to support the bandwidth at lengths of up to 37m per connection in the worst case scenarios. Of course, the kiasu ones can choose to lay cat6a cables for future proofing.

I think if one is doing re-wiring work should just go and install cat 6 network points every room. solves a lot of future headache. such as wifi signal not strong in some spots.

just my 2cents

Thank claypot and mavicaste.

Mine is a resale if that matters.

So first before reno, I will get open net to install the TP near my TV console area.

Thereafter during reno I will need to get the electrician to lay the points and network cables from my room to my TV console area? Correct?

So that after I move in I will need to set up like this:

If Im taking up singtel fibre and mio tv, do I need to lay the LAN port as well?

What is the ONT har? Do I still need it if im not using the LAN port?

Sorry, I'm a total noob at this IT thing. :lol:

You basically got everything right about what and where to install. The ONT is a must if you are using fibre based services. It will be connected between the OpenNet TP and the service provider's modem/set top box.

I think if one is doing re-wiring work should just go and install cat 6 network points every room. solves a lot of future headache. such as wifi signal not strong in some spots.

just my 2cents

:good:

:good:

by the way, any idea much much per point ?

I got various numbers from different contractors, ranging from $40 per point to $150 per point ! still trying to figure out why the big difference.

:dunno:

You basically got everything right about what and where to install. The ONT is a must if you are using fibre based services. It will be connected between the OpenNet TP and the service provider's modem/set top box.

Oh, okay, thanks a lot for the explanations.

Never knew about this ONT thing till today. lol

When free must go Challenger yan jiu this ONT. :lol:

Really thank you very much.

by the way, any idea much much per point ?

I got various numbers from different contractors, ranging from $40 per point to $150 per point ! still trying to figure out why the big difference.

:dunno:

From what I gathered, the average is between $70 to $90 per point. For the $40 quote, you may wish to clarify if it is indeed a new point and cabling altogether or whether it is for the conversion of existing telephone points. The latter is only applicable for newer flats using cat5e/6 cables for voice network wiring.

Oh, okay, thanks a lot for the explanations.

Never knew about this ONT thing till today. lol

When free must go Challenger yan jiu this ONT. :lol:

Really thank you very much.

To put it simply, the ONT converts optical signals into raw electrical signals which is then converted by the service provider's modem into electrical signals that network equipment such as routers, LAN adapters and switches are able to work with.

The ONT is part of the OpenNet infrastructure and is only available when you sign up with a service provider. I am not sure if the functions of the ONT and modem can be merged into one device in the future or is it already happening at the moment. ;)

All of a sudden, this feels as if we are in a tech thread in the HWZ or VRZ forums.

To put it simply, the ONT converts optical signals into raw electrical signals which is then converted by the service provider's modem into electrical signals that network equipment such as routers, LAN adapters and switches are able to work with.

The ONT is part of the OpenNet infrastructure and is only available when you sign up with a service provider. I am not sure if the functions of the ONT and modem can be merged into one device in the future or is it already happening at the moment. ;)

All of a sudden, this feels as if we are in a tech thread in the HWZ or VRZ forums.

Haha, okay okay, I go HWZ to ask for more info. lol :lol:

Kum Sia Kum Sia.

Hi Mavicaste, which internet provider will you be using, i saw the VPN service that MyRepublic is is enticing because i can watch US drama, HK serial free

Hi Mavicaste, which internet provider will you be using, i saw the VPN service that MyRepublic is is enticing because i can watch US drama, HK serial free

Sorry for asking this stupid question but how does applying MyRepublic internet enable to let you watch US and HK drama

I have yet to decide on the ISP but SingTel is definitely out as I have been boycotting them for a few years now. :curse:

In fact, I have yet to do my research on the options available and will only do so when its time to apply for one. Both my parents' and in-laws' home are using StarHub cable and it has served us well so I presume their fibre internet service should be just as satisfactory, if not better. From what I know, they are already testing pay-TV services over fibre so that is another consideration. Another requirement that I have is that they should be offering VOIP phone line together with internet access since I do not intend to have a SingTel phone line.

I have heard raving reviews about MyRepublic's Teleport VPN service and will definitely be looking into what they have to offer as well.