Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
inthechouse

A Canvas To Our Imagination: Thoreau

The only thing which took place this week was the installation of windows. We decided to sub this job out so we were sourcing around for quotes for white powder coated aluminium sliding and casement windows. As tiling would be commencing soon, we were in a bit of a hurry to have them installed. Most of the windows contractor we spoke to could not start with a few days' notice, but one was very responsive and eager. His pricing was reasonably low too, given that he is the boss of his own factory. A quick search online produced 2-3 posts by people who have used his services. They were all satisfied customers.

Here's a photo of the end results. There is a mark on the glass panes which says "Made in United Arab Emirates". The boss said he will get his men to come clean off all the marks, including some black stuff on the frames. We shall wait and see.

photo_zpsd4c29138.jpg

White powder coated aluminium sliding and casement windows with clear glass. The frames are lighter than what is installed in my current 27-year-old flat, but apparently this is pretty standard these days. The other option is to pay about $800-1K more for the heavier frames (as quoted by Alan).

Apart from this, I saw that the new wooden door frames have been delivered. Alan updated me that tiling will commence mid next week. We intend to be present, of course. That's it for now.

Photo12-12-13124400PM_zps3461273b.jpg

Hacked off the existing metal door frames as they were of uneven height.

Edited by inthechouse

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

After a few days of hiatus, we dropped by the flat and saw some uncles cementing the walls. According to Alan, they were just "flattening out" the walls, and the cement screed effect (for the kitchen) won't be ready yet.

226680_10151979347656865_1377818091_n_zp

We found several cigarette butts in every corner of the flat. Both Alan and my windows contractor are pointing fingers at each other, so I guess we'll never know who's responsible for it.

Just an hour ago, Alan texted us to ask if we were arriving soon, as his tiling guys have arrived. I reminded him that the arrangement was for Thursday, and he admitted immediately that he got it wrong. We then took the opportunity to remind him that we have to move in by Feb, but he said he can't guarantee that the carpentry will be completed by then. We then reminded him that such was the agreement, and the reason why we signed with him - He promised that he could handover the unit by Feb, since we are not rushing for CNY. No protest from him thereafter. Fingers crossed.

As for the windows, the contractor kept his word and got his workers to remove the wordings on the windows (see my previous post). He seems to be a very reliable guy.

Spent the weekend sourcing for window solar film quotes. It's still early at this stage, so we will just KIV.

- Window Cool and Acme: Both salesmen were responsive and came to meet us bearing samples. Price range: Starting from $6 psf.

- 3M: Have yet to meet the salesperson even after several days' of emailing. Apparently the Night Vision series cost $7 psf and up.

- Nanolux: Yet to meet the salesperson after a phone conversation.

- Sun-X: Price range from $5 psf and up. Will meet them after tiling is completed (as advised by the salesman).

Our current bedroom window is "filmed", and it does keep the room temperature lower than other parts of the flat.

Hi Inthechouse,

Could you pm me Alan's contact and quotation? Thanks!

Hi I would also like to get Alan's quotation. I have a house which need similar work.

Hi inthechouse, understand how you feel when you reminded Alan on the completion date... We faced the same challenge. Anyways, during the painting period, do check that the painters also paint the top of all your doors.

So we met up with Alan and his tiling guy, Ah Leong, this morning. In case you're wondering, this meeting was arranged by Alan.

Here's a collage of photos taken during our discussion. The 3D subway tiles pictured will be used for kitchen cabinet backsplash. Kitchen floor tiles not pictured. Different bright-coloured wall tiles for both bathrooms. The rest are woodgrain porcelain floor tiles for living room, storeroom and the 3 bedrooms.

Just wish to share that Alan, being a contractor and not an ID, is unlikely to offer unsolicited advice on how to tile the walls and floors. You will have to tell him what you want. We did, however, ask him a few questions just to get his "expert opinion", to which he answered in a "matter of fact" manner.

Our discussion was interrupted by a few brief phone calls which led to semi-heated arguments between Alan and the callers (possibly his workers).

He's no doubt a busy guy, and with CNY coming up, I think he's neck-up with projects.

photo_zpsb51741dc.jpg

Edited by inthechouse

Here's a panoramic view of our kitchen at this point. We've yet to decide if we are having cement screed walls or not.

Photo19-12-13101227AM_zpsf1dbf1a2.jpg

Finally... door frames of equal height. The gaps above the new frames were patched up as agreed.

Photo19-12-1394627AM_zps0f88df88.jpg

Photo19-12-1394614AM_zps0ce2fcde.jpg

New doorway between 2 bedrooms made good after hacking.

Photo19-12-13103145AM_zps99a56cf0.jpg

Broom spotted. Hope they sweep up all the cigarette butts and what not before cementing the floors! :bow:

fgfg_zps91f85afa.jpg

Edited by inthechouse

Here's a photo of our common bathroom. Apologies for the overexposure.

dfgf_zps1fe18f55.jpg

We asked Alan if we could have an extra drainage hole where the star is positioned, but he said there is no point for it, because we are not installing a shower screen or glass panel. We don't really need a glass panel here because of the bicycles and whatever other bulky items we may haul into this bathroom for washing. We thought it would be weird to have the water drained from right to left - behind the person who is showering. Besides, wouldn't be better to have drainage close to the shower area?

What do you guys think? Should we insist on having that extra draining hole?

Should definitely do the extra drain hole. And also have the floor slightly slanted towards it so water will flow there during/after showering.

if not the water needs to flow across to (presumably) the vanity area and the toilet bowel

Edited by greglhc

Thanks greglhc. That was what we had in mind, but our contractor said it would be strange to have a "mountain" in the middle of the floor - I am assuming he meant having two slopes - 1 downwards to the left (original hole) and 1 downwards to the right (proposed new hole). Would it really be that hideous?

Edited by inthechouse

My take is still a no, largely due to size of bathroom which is miserably small.

Good point. What are the dimensions of the toilet?

Mine is pretty small too and there are two drain holes. The slant is very subtle. Can only tell because of the water flow though.

I guess the other question is what design/color tiles is going to be laid. It will affect how perceptible the slopes are.