Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
inthechouse

A Canvas To Our Imagination: Thoreau

There's tile backsplash behind the hob. No top cabinets but the wall above the tiles can be painted. It is the opposite wall that we thought we could have it concrete. Decisions! But meanwhile, there's a crisis with a wall somewhere else. :angry2:

Since it's the opposite wall, then less concern. My bathroom also has some concrete plastered walls and that one no issues.

Only oil/grease splatter from cooking then need to clean with soapy wet wipes.

Oh I cant see the structural flaw from your pic. Maybe that's a good thing! :)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Journey of a door opening

Phase 1: Looks ok.

photo7_zpsa8d12694.jpg

Phase 2: Looking back at this, it was already dodgy back then.

photo4_zpsd1b5b689.jpg

Phase 3: Since the painters are coming in soon, we really don't know at this point if Alan will indeed rectify the wall. He seemed to be going in circles during last night's conversation. And our Mandarin is as good as his English.

photo_zps3ac7e4f9.jpg

Edited by inthechouse

Since it's the opposite wall, then less concern. My bathroom also has some concrete plastered walls and that one no issues.

Only oil/grease splatter from cooking then need to clean with soapy wet wipes.

Oh I cant see the structural flaw from your pic. Maybe that's a good thing! :)

I see. So what finishing can we request from our contractor? Is "just varnish" good enough?

Thank you. :) Can't say I didn't lose some sleep over this last night though.

I think varnish might make it more yellowish and become less grey

I found the resin effect pictures for you

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/47307-kim-tian-green-minimalist/page-3#entry737715

Should ask tessina for pics of her waterproofed walls to see what effect is obtained!

I see. So what finishing can we request from our contractor? Is "just varnish" good enough?

Thank you. :) Can't say I didn't lose some sleep over this last night though.

Found some chips in the master bathroom wall yesterday. Alan said he would check on it.

These were first spotted before grouting was completed. Back then, Alan said the chips will not be visible once grouting is completed. :no:

Pardon the appalling resolution!

photo1_zpsbef905a0.jpg

Macam liquid paper-ed!

By the way, does anyone know if this hole in the hollow block sink support wall serves a purpose?

Photo%2030-12-13%206%2031%2058%20pm.jpg

Oh is the hole all the way through the hollow block? For a water pipe? I was trying to see if Alan did a similar hole for ours but I think not.

Strange looking hole? Think it is a chip lah!

Oh is the hole all the way through the hollow block? For a water pipe? I was trying to see if Alan did a similar hole for ours but I think not.

Yes, it's all the way through. Suspect it's for a pipe too. But I think we'll ask him when we see him.

Dropped by for yet another visit. Met the wall guys for the first time and I asked them about the slanted wall. One of them said they can't plaster it straight because the skirting is already completed. The result would mean no skirting (since the re-plastering will cover up it up).

He said whoever who made good the opening after hacking should've patched it straight. That was my initial guess too.

Interesting.

Found some chips in the master bathroom wall yesterday. Alan said he would check on it.

These were first spotted before grouting was completed. Back then, Alan said the chips will not be visible once grouting is completed. :no:

Pardon the appalling resolution!

photo1_zpsbef905a0.jpg

Macam liquid paper-ed!

By the way, does anyone know if this hole in the hollow block sink support wall serves a purpose?

Photo%2030-12-13%206%2031%2058%20pm.jpg

i would think it's for the pipe. as for the other chipped tiles, you need to get his workers to replace. they can do it even after grouting is done.

Unfortunately true. As we are installing a sliding door here, there is no frame required. Do you reckon they would cement or plaster up the frame properly if we were using a classic door? Would the frame even fit in this opening?

if you are using sliding door, i guess the slanted wall will not pose much of a problem. maybe only an eyesore aesthetically.

I think varnish might make it more yellowish and become less grey

I found the resin effect pictures for you

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/47307-kim-tian-green-minimalist/page-3#entry737715

Should ask tessina for pics of her waterproofed walls to see what effect is obtained!

We didn't like the glossy effect, so was very specific to our ID that it had to be matt clear coated.

This is how it came out:

17607.jpg

For the kitchen, same thing. And we cook quite a fair bit, so far so good (other than the cracks/fine lines).

The coating they used is this:

http://www.buildersmart.com.sg/store/index.php/chemical-products/davco-liquid-water-repellent.html

Hope this helps you!

• Like 1

i would think it's for the pipe. as for the other chipped tiles, you need to get his workers to replace. they can do it even after grouting is done.

Only if he agrees, I guess. Everything's at his mercy.

if you are using sliding door, i guess the slanted wall will not pose much of a problem. maybe only an eyesore aesthetically.

Technically, it won't cause an issue. It's an eyesore indeed and nobody will be happy paying so much money and end up with a slanted wall which can (seemingly) be rectified easily.