Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
amirahpaul

Pastels, Wood & Cats: A Soothing 3-Room Flat

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

4. Hau Hau Parquet

Our first stop in selecting our flooring was Hafary. We were interested in their water-resistant, wood-like laminate, i.e. the Berry Alloc range. We love wood for how it feels, and looks. But we’ve heard how it’s very costly – we saw the genuine wood range at Hafary and the prices were off the charts for us. Thus, it was about hunting for the best alternative.

We also looked at Vinyl planks – they do have a wood-like feel! We still recall our visit to Floorrich. When we reached the entrance, we weren’t sure if the flooring was genuine wood, or Vinyl. It turned out to be Vinyl. That’s how real their planks seem to laypersons like us.

After speaking to be very good Floorrich salesperson, we thought our search has ended. He quoted us $6.90 for their click-on vinyl range, which compares very well to the Hafary Berry Alloc selections. They look and feel nicer, in our view. But we were jubilant but didn’t decide on the spot as we wanted to check out another Vinyl range which cost half the price – apparently it’s from a wholesaler.

There’s a funny twist to the story. We met with the wholesaler at his run-down industrial warehouse (good sign, since it probably means you aren’t paying for post showroom rentals). Sadly, his vinyl range felt and looked rather plasticky. Interestingly, vinyl was just a side business for his company – they are really in the wood business. We spied lots of wood flooring and planks in his warehouse/office and thought: if his vinyl cost half the market price, might his wood be likewise?

It turned out to be true. He quoted us $6.50 for Indonesian parquet, inclusive of laying. The size is similar to what you find in HDB BTO parquet flooring. We found ourselves in a dilemma: the parquet which we love costs less than the vinyl we were all set to buy?!

This opened up a totally new option for us: parquet wholesalers. We did some research and decided to visit Hau Hau parquet. We got a similar quote for the same plank size, and decided to pay a bit more for a larger plank. Here’s the breakdown:

Our Indonesian teak strips are 12mm (depth) x 95mm (width) x 500-650mm (varied length). Cost psf: $4.50.

Glue: $40 x 2

Delivery: $40

Optional skirting: $1.40 per foot

Parquet laying: $800 for 2 bedrooms. (HDB 3 rm flat bedrooms)

gallery_58380_224_12027.jpg

gallery_58380_224_16587.jpg

Hau Hau supplies the wood, and helps you engage an external party to lay the parquet. In our case, they helped us engage Mr Lee, who did a fabulous job. Even our ID was impressed. He said the planks were laid very tightly together, especially at the corners. The floor feels very even, and the finishing was gorgeous in our view. Mr Lee is a real pro. We were so happy with his work that we repeatedly offered him a tip. But he flatly refused. My mum joined in to persuade him, and they eventually had some ridiculous shoving match, i.e. she tried shoving him the money and he kept pushing off. It was hilarious, but pretty memorable.

We’re very happy with Hau Hau and would recommend them. Their parquet is good, reasonably priced and their salesperson struck us as honest and knowledgeable (she wouldn’t make it as a high-performing salesperson as she’s very matter-of-factly).

http://www.hauhauparquet.com/aboutus.asp

We enjoy the parquet everyday… really love the feel of it and the warm and natural look. We must add that we take some care in cleaning it and avoiding serious scratches.

In case you’re wondering, cats usually don’t scratch parquet. But if they run around lots, they will dig in to stop and leave scratches. Thus, it may not be a good idea to have parquet flooring in their main playing area, i.e. living room in our case.

Edited by amirahpaul

• Like 2

Lesson learnt: Whenever there's a middleman involved, see if it's possible and worthwhile to liaise directly with the source company.

Hi, paul thank for sharing your information in details may i know how much is your toilet and kitchen cabinet your contactor quote and can kindly pm me his contact too thank.

Hi Xiaop, PMed you!

Tarzanboy, I could not PM you -- not sure if your mailbox is full?

Hi, Paul I didn't notice My mailbox is full I had clear it please do pm me again thank.

Hi amirahpaul,

Your house is looking great with protection for your furry kid! I'm going to use your recommendations for my upcoming renovations too, esp the window grills. :)

Hi amirahpaul, please share with me your contractor and the contacts for the customised grill and gate.

Btw how much do the grills and gate cost?

Thanks alot.