Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
daryananimanoj

New Home - Need Reno - Confused!

Hi,

I recently bought a masionette at Tampines Court. It is 25 year old unit and needs some work done. A few questions:

1. The power sockets look old and this got me thinking if I should do a one time re wiring

2. I also want a plumber to come check all the pipes in the house in order to avoid a leakage in future

3. The owner has not installed any AC so I would need to install 5 units

4. Kitchen needs to be broken down and rebuilt

5. Need laminate flooring below and polishing of parquet on second floor

6. Toilet below and two toilets above needs to be broken down and rebuilt

7. Built in wardrobe for 3 rooms

8. Painting

Where do I start? What should I do first?

I know I can walk in and get quotations from an ID but some inputs for experienced owners who can guide me will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

1. The power sockets look old and this got me thinking if I should do a one time re wiring

-some renovation quotation exclude electrical cost. Hence you need to ask your contractor to include quote for electrical work so as to see the total cost.

-since you are planning for rewiring, do take into consideration open net installation so you won't see ugly cable around.

-look around for nice sockets as those provided by contractors may not look nice.

-have some electrical points at waist level so don't have to always bend down, not good for the lower back.

2. I also want a plumber to come check all the pipes in the house in order to avoid a leakage in future

- no comment as I'm not experienced. But do tell the contractor where exactly you want the water spray gun to be installed (I prefer waist level)

- price is higher if you are going for concealed piping.

- consider if you prefer to use instant water heater, storage heater or citygas.

3. The owner has not installed any AC so I would need to install 5 units

-Most common brands used by Singapore are Mitsubishi and Daikan. You can inquire at Courts or Best Denki. About 9000 BTU for common bedroom, 12000 BTU for master bed room, and 18000 for living room, depending on the size of your rooms. Discuss with the installer the exact trunking position otherwise the installer will just go for the easiest and shortest route which may look ugly with those trunking exposed. Prefer not to hide the trunking otherwise there may be problem if it leaks in future. And warranty to me is very important.

4. Kitchen needs to be broken down and rebuilt

- You can start to look for kitchen hob, hood, basin and fridge. As the contractor will need to know the measurement of these items to customize the kitchen cabinets.

5. Need laminate flooring below and polishing of parquet on second floor

- For parquet, it's called sand & vanish. Polishing is more for marble flooring. Most contractor has contact for sand & vanish services. For laminate, search interent for some well known brand and arrange meet up with those laminate company just to learn since it's FOC lesson.

6. Toilet below and two toilets above needs to be broken down and rebuilt

- You can start looking around for toilet bowls, wash basin and shower heads etc. Ask your contractor to do all accessories installment FOC for you, not to quote by piece installation.

7. Built in wardrobe for 3 rooms

- Contractor usually quote by 'foot' regardless of design so you may wish to think of what design and whether to go for slidding door or not.

8. Painting

- Ask for at least 3 paintings (first painting, second time before moving in furniture, aircon installation etc, and final touch up) and at least 5 different colours. Ask for the brand of the paint used too.

Edited by gemini

• Like 2

Hi daryananimanoj, you may wish to visit White Horse for some bathroom ideas. White Horse sells only tiles, but they have MANY mock-up bathrooms at level 2 which can give you idea on your bathroom designs and cost of those tiles. Most contractors and IDs bring their customers there, but it is also open to public and walk-in customers. There is no salesman there to sell you tiles so you can take own time to look at those beautiful mock-up bathrooms and ask the admin staff there if you have any enquiry.

White Horse Ceramic (S) Pte Ltd

1 Sungei Kadut Way, Singapore 728770
6269 0555

You will be surprise that a bathroom renovation, though small, is costly and easily cost $4K to $5K. For renovation of wet area (bathroom/kitchen), it is very important that contractor do proper water-proofing so that water won't leak to damage your downstairs neighbour's ceiling. Otherwise, will have to share the cost of fixing your neighbour's ceiling. Ask the contractor how many layer of waterproofing he provides.

Edited by gemini