Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sergiogiogio

Tile Baseboard Thickness

Hello

Our kitchen floor has just been tiled with homogeneous tiles (width 10mm). The baseboard tiles is very thick in my opinion (17mm, sometimes going to 20mm and even 30mm!!), I expected the baseboard tiles to be glued to the walls but instead the contractor used a layer of mortar.

It's very ugly and bulky in my opinion and I have difficulty accepting it even if the contractor says it will be less obvious after painting. would like to check with you all, is this thickness common practice for til baseboard? Is there no way in this day and age to have a thin elegant tile baseboard?

Thanks in advance!

sergiogiogio

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

20mm thick (including 10mm-thick tile) is quite normal.

If it is a new building, the mortar behind the tile is part of the wall, therefore you only see a thin tile skirting.

For skirting tile added on an existing wall, it is inevitable that the overall thickness will be thicker, unless you hack into the wall which will be very expensive and sometimes not allowed (depends on which wall).

Can you recommend a reliable tile store with a variety of high quality floor and wall tiles? Looking for a place with different designs for a home renovation project. Are there any places you would recommend to purchase quality tiles?

I recently refinished the flooring in my home and used the tile store Orange County Tiles. They provided an excellent selection of high-quality tiles in a variety of designs. I also looked at Ikea and finishing supply stores, but Orange County Tiles was the best option. Purchasing online from their website was convenient and shipping was smooth. The result of the work exceeded my expectations and I am pleased with the choice of this store to repair my floor.