Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
CuGu

Em In Bishan

Thoughts on selection of curtain shop

I try to select my curtain shop based on the below factors:

1) Price: Unless you can get the same fabric and blinds brand to compare between curtain shops, price can range widely with quotation from 1k to 3k depending of what samples you select. Its difficult to based my selection on price alone.

2) Quality: I can't really differentiate what is good and bad quality just from looking and feeling the material. And all shops advertise that they provide the best quality.

3) Country of origin: Not all fabric from European countries are good, just like not all business suits from Italy are good.

4) Size of the shop: I wonder whether big shop got big overhead and need me to pay high price to cover their high cost.

Conclusion: Word of mouth is still more reliable as I end up getting my curtain and blinds from a curtain guy which a friend recommended. I think both quality and price are ok. Look at my before and after pictures in post 1 Pg 1 for some of the curtain and blinds he did for me.

Edited by CuGu

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

The main problem that I faced from my home is that it is right in front of the road...so quite noisy.. :(

So I end up getting those windows for my master bedroom that is double layered to reduce the noise..well..at least it works..

But somehow I don't know why we never notice that the noise level is quite high during the viewing.. must be because the agent was talking a lot and muted the road noise..hahaha

Edited by CuGu

But the worst thing about living next to the road is that the flat seemed to get dusty really quite fast..I getting a lot of exercise from mopping the floor..

Edited by CuGu

I got my aircon from Gain City for 4k..

I think it is a good deal for a Hitachi brand aircon with one compressor and 4 units. Some more got free gifts.. :) :)

Can I ask how long did your Taobao items take to deliver to yr door from the minute you click buy? Am trying to guesstimate when I should buy as I dont want the stuff to arrive too early or too late. Can I also ask what do u buy 1st for your reno? Hob? Toilet bowl, Air con? I have not start buying anything at all. Thanks!

Thoughts on buying from Tao Bao

1) Air vs sea freight: Although Tao Bao provide convenient direct air freight service, the cost is much higher. I recommend sea freight for bulk purchases.

2) Reading past buyer comments: It is important to read past buyers comments however note that some comments are fake especially if the user name profile look funny. The more reviews there is, the safer it is.

3) No of sales made: Similar to point 2, the more sales that have been made, the safer it is.

4) Location of seller: If your sea freight forwarder is located in Guangzhou, then try to buy from seller in the nearby region. You reduce the risk of damages of your items during the transportation and the required time needed.

5) Use AXS instead of NETS payments : Use AXS machine to top up AliPay account to reduce transaction fee charged for using NETS. Also some TaoBao shops only accept Alipay.

4) Location of seller: If your sea freight forwarder is located in Guangzhou, then try to buy from seller in the nearby region. You reduce the risk of damages of your items during the transportation and the required time needed.

Not exactly true, though theoretically, less distance traveled means less chance of damages. However it is more of the handling and packaging that matters.

However, if distance of seller to forwarders is nearer, chances of getting domestic courier waived is higher.

5) Use AXS instead of NETS payments : Use AXS machine to top up AliPay account to reduce transaction fee charged for using NETS. Also some TaoBao shops only accept Alipay.

AXS topping up to Alipay is one option but using NETS is more convenient compare to Alipay. Money top up to Alipay is non refundable and the exchange rate charge are unfavorable. (Experience from 3 months ago)

NETS surchage is SGD$1 per transaction. Yes per transaction, not per link, per item etc. Meaning when making payment for the items in your TB cart, if you click all your items and click on pay for all, you one pay SGD$1 more for the total price. Also exchange rates are better. (Experience 1 month ago)

Can I ask how long did your Taobao items take to deliver to yr door from the minute you click buy? Am trying to guesstimate when I should buy as I dont want the stuff to arrive too early or too late. Can I also ask what do u buy 1st for your reno? Hob? Toilet bowl, Air con? I have not start buying anything at all. Thanks!

Taobao usually take 2 weeks from buy to reach..

If u using contractor or ID, they will advise what to buy first so that the worker can install..so dun worry that u have not buy anything yet..:)

Not exactly true, though theoretically, less distance traveled means less chance of damages. However it is more of the handling and packaging that matters.

However, if distance of seller to forwarders is nearer, chances of getting domestic courier waived is higher.

AXS topping up to Alipay is one option but using NETS is more convenient compare to Alipay. Money top up to Alipay is non refundable and the exchange rate charge are unfavorable. (Experience from 3 months ago)

NETS surchage is SGD$1 per transaction. Yes per transaction, not per link, per item etc. Meaning when making payment for the items in your TB cart, if you click all your items and click on pay for all, you one pay SGD$1 more for the total price. Also exchange rates are better. (Experience 1 month ago)

thanks for sharing your experiences :good::good:

The many small windows to cover my balcony

We initially thought we need to cover the balcony up to prevent rain from coming in...

Now I kind of think its a waste of money..cos we have the roof of the building protruding out and it actually act like an umbrella..

ALSO only one month plus and the clear window start to become frosted window from the dust and bird/lizard dropping..some more cannot clean the outside panels..dunno after a few years will become blackout windows..keke..

Edited by CuGu

i got 1 look alike too from taobao... but kinda noisy compare to Dyson :(

Mine is ok, we got 3 fako dyson and one REAL dyson..after compare the noise and price..well I guess Im ok with the slightly more noisy version.. :)

• Like 1

The many small windows to cover my balcony
We initially thought we need to cover the balcony up to prevent rain from coming in...
Now I kind of think its a waste of money..cos we have the roof of the building protruding out and it actually act like an umbrella..
ALSO only one month plus and the clear window start to become frosted window from the dust and bird/lizard dropping..some more cannot clean the outside panels..dunno after a few years will become blackout windows..keke..

actually does anyone also did the same kind of our windows for the balcony?

How do you all wash the outside panel? :dunno::dunno::help::help: