Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jez2014

Mission (Almost) Impossible - 25K 4Rm Bto Renovation

Won't this one be easily be remedied now since they are doing reno at the moment.

They could ask their wireman to add a new set of wire for fan and cover it up with a dummy faceplate so that the next time they want to install a ceiling fan, all they need is to install the ceiling fan, unscrew the dummy faceplate and replace with a fan switch?

Some advise on the ceiling fan installation. Although the post-reno installation might look fuss free, it might not be so.

If you only decide to install a ceiling fan post-reno, the electrical wiring will be exposed and will not be aesthetically pleasing. And if you choose to conceal the wiring, the place will get messy from the debris. Also the question of where the electrician will tap the fan wiring from will determine how much mess is created. And if you prefer to have fan switch on the wall, it might affect the orientation of your switches and you might have to buy suitable ones to accommodate your new configuration. Not forgetting touchup painting to follow which is likely diy. It takes lots of energy+time to do an effective post-reno cleanup and you really wouldn't want to subject yourself to another round of cleaning even though it's on a smaller scale.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Like i said before, my purchase was nearly 7 years ago. So I don't know whether the quality has improved or not for the philips vacuum cleaners.

Hi Bunbun!

Wow I am glad I didn't buy the bagless unit then! Actually I selected the unit with bags because I read reviews that removing the dust from the v/c would be very dusty. Since we both have sensitive noses, I thought the bagged ones would be better! -fingers crossed-

As for the ceiling fan, well, we are both rather afraid of the heat. I am aware that a ceiling fan works extremely well with the aircon, but we have been using a standing fan after switching off the aircon and it works for us too. Furthermore, we reasoned that since we are not doing a false ceiling, it would not be too much of an hassle should we change our minds later to install a ceiling fan!

Hi, I'll be collecting my keys in 2-3 months time and have the same renovation budget as you. Could u pls pm me your contractor as all the quotation I've gotten mostly exceeded my budget. Thanks.

Won't this one be easily be remedied now since they are doing reno at the moment.

They could ask their wireman to add a new set of wire for fan and cover it up with a dummy faceplate so that the next time they want to install a ceiling fan, all they need is to install the ceiling fan, unscrew the dummy faceplate and replace with a fan switch?

This sounds like a great idea - will bring it up with my electrician!

Thanks Bunbun!

You're welcome.

The dummy face plate is called blank switch cover.

http://www.meteorelectrical.com/images/1-gang-blank-cover-plate.jpg

Saw this in my B.F.'s place where the common toilet is small and not suitable for a bathroom. Their wireman still install a water heater 1 gang switch and the blank switch cover to hide the wires for a 'future' water heater in the future if my B.F. decides to install one next time

Bathtub, check!

We went to Heritage Bathroom Gallery :bleah: last weekend to look for our bathtub but left in disappointment :jawdrop: as they did not have any on display! We browsed through the catalogue but was still reluctant to purchase such an important item without seeing it physically. Bathtubs not cheap, ok! We were quoted $400, plus $30 for delivery. Thus, we went back to contact some showrooms to check which ones had bathtubs on display so we could make a more informed decision.

i sent out numerous emails, most of which remained unanswered. By a stroke of luck, a salesperson from AOS/Magnum replied to say that they had a tub for clearance at $99 due to slight discolouration! We went down to the warehouse at Ubi today to look at it, and it’s perfectly acceptable! So, tadaaa~! Meet our tub!

6.JPG.f88b4f5514df38123745104c2650ebf5.JPG

Edited by jez2014

Inspiration without instant gratification

When deciding on the colour scheme for our house, we were kinda in a fix. Both the hubbs and I are rather visual creatures, to imagine without seeing the actual thing can be rather painful! We knew that we liked the clean simplicity of Zen, which came with copious amounts of wood. But what else? Where is the "us" in our home?

Then I had a brainwave.

We decided to generate a few colour palettes based on our favourite vacay spots. In general, we like the far flung north (yay for winter), and right on the other end of the spectrum, ultimate nuaness in beach resorts.

Palette 1

Inspired by our honeymoon in Alaska.

Colourpalette1-1.png

Palette 2

Inspired by our babymoon in Boracay.

Colourpalette1.png

Seems like #2 would go better with the Zen theme - the woods can be used to replicate the sand in beaches? Just an idea!

Hey Jez, we are also going to have a combination of either black, white & blue due to some fengshui advise. We are still in the midst of deciding what theme of renovation we actually wanted.

Taobao Purchases, Round 1!

This is a long overdue post - I've purchased these long ago, and they are now in the Singapore warehouse. I've yet to arrange for delivery, as I will only be freer next week to receive and check the items. Was browsing through what I have already purchased, and am so excited already! Can't wait to unveil them!

For those who are not so familiar, the approximate conversion is 5 RMB = 1 SGD, but the RMB has been appreciating against the Singdollar recently...

Bidet Spray RMB 100

T1H06.FktfXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg_200x

Kitchen rack RMB 188

T1j2_dFNpeXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg_200x

Bathroom accessories set RMB 428

Includes towel rack, hooks, toilet roll holder, toilet brush holder...the works! I thought this was expensive, until I went to shops locally and realised that a Stainless Steel towel rack alone can cost more than $100! -peng-

T13I.MFoFfXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg_200x

Wooden lights RMB 499

I bought just one of this to test test first. If they work out well I will buy more for the rest of the house! Kinda regretted not buying the 无极调灯 type... Maybe I will use this for one of the other rooms and get the adjustable warmth/brightness one for the living room and MBR! Love the design of the light - haven't seen anything similar in the lighting shops we visited, and this would fit in nicely with our zen/scandi/beach holiday theme!

TB1Gf_tGpXXXXbYXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic

Kitchen sink RMB 679

I picked the one that came with a strainer and a smaller sink - I think it is going to be useful especially for washing vegetables and fruits! Important tip for newbies! Must get a sink where the drainage "hole" is at one side! :D If the "hole" is in the centre, whenever you wash dishes, the dishes will end up "blocking" the hole, and your dirty water will fill up the sink!

TB16lJKGXXXXXXJXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic

Bathroom cabinets RMB 528

The piece de resistance... s/s bathroom cabinets! I think I must have been slightly crazy to buy this, but custom built is around $800 leh... Even JE, my contractor told me to go and buy from Taobao to save money! (I love how honest he is! He rocks man!!)

TB1KaslGpXXXXavXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic

I used 65daigou for this shipping. They may be more expensive, but I find their customer service fast and responsive. Hopefully everything will come in good condition! I spent about $400 on shipping for $1000 of items - there were other miscellaneous items that I bought!

Edited by jez2014

Guest entry by the spouse

Halfway while typing,

My boy backside need wiping,

Later then come back,

Post image from Photoshack.

Rhymes leh!

Hi! I'm the hubbs here, sneaking in a guest entry. The wife claims she has been experiencing increasing inertia these days.

But funny leh, I learnt last time in Physics that inertia increase only when mass increase...

Anyway, here's a brief timeline of what's transpired since 20 November:

Third week of Nov: Concept/pencil sketches

Show off his sketches later. The boss is afterall, a carpenter by trade mah! His drawing reminds me of my D&T class. Except now cannot fall asleep.

Last week of Nov: Finalized paint scheme + carpentry laminate/internal PVC

Wah Lau eh! Women! -.-"

Sail White, Whispering White, Snow White... All I can think of is.. "then the seven dwarves leh?"

First week of Dec: Fabrication of carpentry (Exxcitessssss maximus)

We were previously (see post dated 31 Oct) brought to their workshop to see-see. So night time, I keep dreaming of his workshop and all those strong young men touching my wood planks lovingly...

Second week of Dec: Electrical work and meeting with Eubiq (Things went as smooth as my baby's backside)

I like how efficient Eubiq is! Best part is, we paid in full (as opposed to deposit). With companies that make you pay upfront, my worry is always that they subsequently scrimp on service.

Third week of Dec: Grille installation and CityGas installation (Things went as smooth as my mother-in-law face)

City gas ah... Ohmaigot. But is partly our own fault. More on that later.

Last week of Dec: Carpentry has been moved into the house (I stare dam long, but I cannot figure out what goes where leh!)

So exciting! But why can't they make it like LEGO. I mean, more intuitive please? All these pieces, but cannot see the whole picture yet!

First week of Jan (now): Living room feature wall has been assembled

WAH!

You know lah... Good movie always got cliffhanger. Stay tuned to next few posts for peektures :D

Edited by jez2014

Taobao Round 2!

Guest entry by the Spouse (part 2)

Roses are red,

Violets are blue.

To win wife in debate,

Try use super glue.

Always works for me! Some more, got leftover from carpentry work leh! :D

Hello all! HamsupHamsumHubbs here again!

It's 2015, New Year, so I hope you celebrated with a gang, or with a bang, or both! :D

As of October 2014 (contractor settled!)

If you've been following, you'd remember that in Oct 2014, we finally settled on a contractor for our BTO flat!

I would have to applaud you for your elephant like memory. I'd also have to call the police. You're probably the creepy-stalker type - even I couldn't remember! It's been THAT long! (I had to scroll up to check!)

As of November 2014 (Taobao purchases!)

The October to November period was a busy work period for us (because we shake legs from January to September liao, so end-year must clear backlog).

As a result, we didn't get to meet our contractor as many times as we should have. In fairness, it must be said that they reminded us quite a few times: the longer we 涂 ("drag"; sorry my chinese got no ink one), the later they would be able to handover the flat.

What we DID manage to do in November was to fully utilize office hours at work to do research on appliances and surf Taobao. As a result, we managed to secure what I felt were some awesome deals

I present to you our two best buys: :sport-smiley-003:

A $200 recliner, including shipping!

7.JPG.f6f949bafc73d114134e658cd3ea9ecc.JPG

I know. I know. Some of you are thinking. Eeyer. Never feel the recliner, buy online - how to know whether you like it or not??

Believe me. The wife and I had the same long talk about both the recliner and the next item (below). Texture is important to us too you know! She likes stuff that can absorb heat, I like stuff that can absorb sweat. But we finally decided to buy the recliner when we thought about it this way:

The local retail price is $800.

The taobao price after shipping is $200.

It's a small gamble. If it pays off, we save $600. If it doesn't pay off, we will just spend more time on the bed HA HA. Plus, when we told our jiak kantang (english speaking) friends about the price, they were VERY keen to come and see the goods on arrival. If nice, they are willing to pay us a small commission to help them purchase their own Taobao sofas.

Everything is made in China, anyway. You buy from IKEA also made in China. I buy from Taobao also made in China. The difference is $600 leh! You touch few times, worth $600 meh? Go Geylang also... :notti:

A $300 sofa, including shipping!

8.JPG.c68e5eaa2e49664f72846ab83c6f9dc7.JPG

This. This.

Reasonable sofas in Singapore are like $1000. Sofas on Taobao are also like $1000. The difference is that, the latter currency is RMB. So when you divide by 5, the savings is just immeasurable. Ok lah, technically can measure $1000 - $(1000/5) but I paiseh to brag mah :D

BUT OMGWTHBBQ THE SAVINGS IS $800 LEH!

After shipping, the total cost comes to about $300, and the total savings is about $700.

If I were to describe my purchases, I'd have to say, "sofa so good!"

Please note that:

1. The prices are rounded to the nearest $100. In case you want to complain me for giving wrong price.

2. These images are stock images from the Taobao website.

3. The sofa and recliner have been shipped already, but we're keeping it in the Singapore warehouse until renovation works are done. Rest assured though, once we unwrap, we will post pictures.

The next few posts will give a blow by blow account of our renovation experience since November 2014.

The next post (in 2-3 day's time) will cover our initial design ideas, as well as our contractor feedback, followed by some pencil sketches of the carpentry work. We also got 3-D drawings lah. Those will come later. Don't rush me leh :D

Edited by jez2014