Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
finkfad

4Ng - A Stickler's Misadventure

The perils of living under the water tank,

yG5o2TE.jpg

I seriously hope this would not be a recurring issue after my renovation. Any tips and tricks with regards to fixing this kinds of problems once and for all?

I understand the seller has already called in the town council to help fix this, but I don't know the current state of it.

Final inspection is on the coming Thursday. Fingers crossed.

Orh no, this issue will not able to resolve. Water will seep from one place to another. Hope i m wrong, good luck.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Orh no, this issue will not able to resolve. Water will seep from one place to another. Hope i m wrong, good luck.

Did you have any experience with these types of problems as well?

Hopefully my ID can suggest something to fix this.

Thinking if it might be worse if I simply put up a false ceiling over it.

My buddy got this issues, his flat also right below the water tank area. Almost every 2 years the town council will do the hack and patch. Yes, is FOC but the house every 2 years is like under reno. His problem solved after he moves out :).

Water seepage does not resolved after patching up. A year or two there will be sign of molding ceiling. My buddy ceiling issue was started from balcony to living hall till bedroom. By covering up with false ceiling might "cover up" the issue only. Is the rest of the ceiling area got sign of molding ceiling too?

We got a choice to choose our new BTO at top floor but we did not after looking at my buddy issue. So becareful when buying top floor flat especially those more than ten years old. HDB guarantee 10 years water seepage for roof area. Even after ten years they repair FOC for you but the house is like a mess after the repair (dusty)!!

Hi finkfad! I have the same layout as yours, also in AMK! :) But I am possibly facing the same water tank issues as well.
Please share your experience/solutions which your ID can suggest to fix this.

Regarding the small toilets I am having headache as well... they are so tiny!!! I have to decide either the toilet bowl gets wet, or the sink gets wet. Pfffff.

My buddy got this issues, his flat also right below the water tank area. Almost every 2 years the town council will do the hack and patch. Yes, is FOC but the house every 2 years is like under reno. His problem solved after he moves out :).

Water seepage does not resolved after patching up. A year or two there will be sign of molding ceiling. My buddy ceiling issue was started from balcony to living hall till bedroom. By covering up with false ceiling might "cover up" the issue only. Is the rest of the ceiling area got sign of molding ceiling too?

We got a choice to choose our new BTO at top floor but we did not after looking at my buddy issue. So becareful when buying top floor flat especially those more than ten years old. HDB guarantee 10 years water seepage for roof area. Even after ten years they repair FOC for you but the house is like a mess after the repair (dusty)!!

Thank you for sharing!

Hi finkfad! I have the same layout as yours, also in AMK! :) But I am possibly facing the same water tank issues as well.

Please share your experience/solutions which your ID can suggest to fix this.

Regarding the small toilets I am having headache as well... they are so tiny!!! I have to decide either the toilet bowl gets wet, or the sink gets wet. Pfffff.

Welcome, future neighbor! I will keep you posted on what my ID suggests :good:

The toilet size is really depressing though. The Missus is also adamant that she doesn't want the toilets to be combined (one side for WC and basin, one side for wet area).

As for our current plan, I intend to shift the basin/vanity area in the MBR to outside of the toilet (where the MBR will be knocked out until a narrow corridor is left as a walkway to the toilet). So the toilet will have room for a shower partition, and won't make the whole area wet.

We'll convert the other bedroom into a WIW and study :thumbs up:

You can also see what ID has planned in his sketch (he doesn't do 3D drawings).

0QFwqGl.jpg

Part of me is excited to see how this all pans out, the other part of me is very much against converting a 3BR into a 1+1

How so? I have no plans for the other bedrooms.

If I had left it as a guestroom then the Missus is going pile it up to the ceiling with her stuff. :dunno:

Oh my god, that's a lot of Play 3 you are putting professor.

Where are you getting the play 3 from?

That was the old plan, I was lazy to change it LOL.

After I went for an audition at Tat Chuan, I am changing them all to the PLAY:1's (which I'm buying right now from Amazon), and only keep a pair of PLAY:3's (which I'm buying from Epicenter in Singapore).

To be honest, there is only but a slight difference in the quality (the PLAY:3 sounds a little more 'full', but only just), but a huge leap in terms of price. So in small spaces I'm going for the PLAY:1s, and only leaving the PLAY:3 in the living room.

Can't beat house full of wonderful music all day :thumbs up:

I am changing them all to the PLAY:1's (which I'm buying right now from Amazon)...

You can purchase the UK-plug power cables from Tat Chuan ($10 each). Your Amazon sets will come with the US 2-(flat)-prong plug.

To be honest, there is only but a slight difference in the quality (the PLAY:3 sounds a little more 'full', but only just), but a huge leap in terms of price. So in small spaces I'm going for the PLAY:1s, and only leaving the PLAY:3 in the living room...

That may be so. On the other hand, if you are using them as rear speakers/mounted in certain orientation, you may wish to investigate their specs further (although this likely applies to the Play:5 versus the Play:3): some of the model can detect if they are mounted in vertical or horizontal orientation & calibrate their output accordingly.

Example reference

Edited by shibumi

You can purchase the UK-plug power cables from Tat Chuan ($10 each). Your Amazon sets will come with the US 2-(flat)-prong plug.

That may be so. On the other hand, if you are using them as rear speakers/mounted in certain orientation, you may wish to investigate their specs further (although this likely applies to the Play:5 versus the Play:3): some of the model can detect if they are mounted in vertical or horizontal orientation & calibrate their output accordingly.

Example reference

Oh thanks for the headsup on the price of the cable! I knew the Amazon's comes with the US 2pins so I was contemplating on just using the cheapo $1.50 pin adapters, but if its just S$10 I can change them (I didn't ask how much it was at TC).

For rear-mounts in the 5.1 configuration, PLAY:1's and PLAY:3's would both work, though not the PLAY:5's. I heard the 5's but the price TC was selling at, its really not worth that price premium.

And I've decided not to buy the PLAYBAR until they come up with an improved version. Now, it only supports 1 optical in, and doesn't support either DTS, or HDMI ARC, which is terrible in my opinion, because most of the movies I watch (MKVs) have DTS encodings.

... And I've decided not to buy the PLAYBAR until they come up with an improved version. Now, it only supports 1 optical in, and doesn't support either DTS, or HDMI ARC, which is terrible in my opinion, because most of the movies I watch (MKVs) have DTS encodings.

How are you playing your movies onto your TV & TV's speakers? E.g. what's your playback "chain"? Passing through any setup boxes, receivers, etc?

Btw, if you are getting large quantity of speakers, I'm quite positive you will be able to secure discounts from Tat Chuan.

How are you playing your movies onto your TV & TV's speakers? E.g. what's your playback "chain"? Passing through any setup boxes, receivers, etc?

Btw, if you are getting large quantity of speakers, I'm quite positive you will be able to secure discounts from Tat Chuan.

I play my movies directly from PC's now, through HDMI. The sound goes out my PC's audio output to speakers (currently 2.1 as I live in a very small room).

For the house, it should be similar. Video is through HDMI, sound I'm not decided yet since I'm not getting the PLAYBAR. I'll probably keep using my current Z2300's which I brought back from my time in the United States, and still using now :thumbs up: , until they release a proper PLAYBAR. I don't really think I'll go full Home Theater for this one.

Actually I asked TC for a quote before, total nett came up to be about S$7,000 (that was for the planned deployment showed above I think). They only offered me a Bridge + a PLAY:1 for free as part of that package (excluding installation and wall mounts), so I figured I could save alot more by switching the PLAY:3's to PLAY:1's and buying them from Amazon instead. The gentleman at the showroom also told me they have very little room to bring down the price, unfortunately.

I will not put up false ceiling to cover it. with water seepage, false ceiling will be affected too. by then u will have to repair and replace your false ceiling and the real ceiling. plus occasionally, u might get pieces cement falling off. not sure if it will affect the stability of the false ceiling, as in the false ceiling might collapse if there's too much weight from the failing cement. this might be a little extreme but u will nv know.

very interesting layout u got. but no plan for kids?