Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

After Day 2, we had a couple of quiet days. On Day 5, my husband, ID and the electrician had a discussion. The next day, my husband dropped by the house to have a look at the wiring works.

The light switch at the wall adjacent to the main entrance:
77143e8f3d95e5dc0050dde8bf463c8b.jpg
We would like to have our switches shifted downwards, similar to those in the following pic:
e070399a3d4495f52ceac0a2d447bed4.jpg
This is in the service yard, for the dryer. We would prefer the upper part of the walls to be free/empty and are thinking of placing the dryer on the other side of the service yard (instead of mounting it above the washing machine). I think this power point is located directly across from that of the washing machine, of the same height and distance from the walls.
39109a1609f6729425f10f9508d06b9a.jpg
3cc50be7d1a43267143a82623bfe3e3b.jpg
Keith recently mentioned that our electrical conduit (an industrial element of the design) would be about as thick as those in the photo above! We could not help but feel a bit nervous after hearing that – having lengths of something of that thickness running across the ceiling could overwhelm our small house. Not to mention detract somewhat from the minimalist style that we are going for. :(
He assured us that the outcome would be within acceptable limits and our tolerance threshold. We hope that is true!
Keith also told us that he was planning to use a special kind of paint for the conduit that, when applied, would give the conduit the same pristine white colour as the ceiling/walls, as well as possibly prevent them from yellowing in the future or something like that. Good ID. #thumbsup
Hopefully that would make the conduit blend into the ceiling/walls and thus less conspicuous? We are keeping our fingers crossed!
My husband said the electrician was a nice guy too, who displayed a positive approach to challenges ("yes, achievable", "can be done", etc.) during their discussion. :thumbs up:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Beam Above Windows

We also measured the depth of the horizontal beam above the windows in the living room and bedrooms. I am not sure if all flats share the same depth, but here it is should you require it (perhaps for space planning, carpentry planning, window-covering planning, etc). Hope this helps: :)
32f882f6aa29e2ad91033dca481e6388.jpg
571cf452a6b0441e09633f490c672b6d.jpg
Edited by JohnB

Progress Photos From ID

Keith’s photos normally come in the afternoon and early evening. We look forward to them. We appreciate him sending the pics for we are not able to pop into the flat every day to witness and enjoy the day-to-day progress in person!
Day 8
Plastering the entrance to the kitchen:
35afa53af63f49794df17d9137bfc642.jpg
And the kitchen walls:
e642bc3fdb478b8a55ab9322a2d5f129.jpg
5669572d009f12f4350252ed3bbb286c.jpg
The walls will be painted white after plastering. :)
When I saw Keith's photos, I was reminded of the following pic – that beautiful raw look, where the joint lines of the blocks (tiles in our case) behind were faintly visible:
59420f19378cc78b46b0d6142eafe6f6.jpg
I shared Keith's photos and the above IG pic side by side in a collage. My friend's sister liked the walls and wanted the same effect for her living room :wub: Her new house is big, one of those cluster and landed homes with a sizeable, high-ceilinged living room. I think she is in the second round of negotiations, or in the process of wrapping up the purchase/sale or something. We are all excited for her!
Edited by JohnB

Kitchen Sink

We bought the Blanco Dalago sink:
01151016.jpg
It seemed to meet all of our requirements :)
1) Design: Simple, single bowl, and with a ledge on which the mixer tap can be mounted.
2) Quality: One of the Blanco favourites.
3) Size: Small enough to share one side of the kitchen with the hob and the refrigerator.
4) Price: $408.
Colour-wise, our first choice was white. However, the person at Hoe Kee, a helpful guy, cautioned my husband against it. He said white would stain. My husband messaged me and I did a quick search:
:(
e43984f0a2d6ec0ce0e53d54089d1986.jpg
e6ee468d612aae355f8b7a8716ed734a.jpg
a4cd50edd1721fdd1ebe1a7f0bb561bb.jpg
790e7b1a00553ee89d6b1a1bf6cddf93.jpg
I did find a couple of positive experiences though:
3876db96b72579e0869e3129c96bebc0.jpg
To err on the side of caution, we decided to go with the black. With ID's blessing! #phew
Installation-wise, flush mount.

Day 0: Door Holder

We saw it on @DaddyWinter 's t-Blog and thought we would get ours replaced too, to make it easier for the renovation guys making deliveries.

The holder that comes with the new flats does not quite hold the door open. After you have pushed the door open and released your hold of it, the door will close (albeit slowly and gently). With this new holder, if, for whatever reason (making deliveries, better air circulation, etc.), you would like the door to remain open, simply push the door open to 90º (you will know when you are there, for you will feel something, a slight resistance of sorts) and release – voila! the door stays open.

@DaddyWinter shared the guy's name and number with us (thank you :) ).

His name is Kelvin. He is a nice chap. Prompt service, as in he was ready to visit our new home to install the holder on that very day that we texted him! Installation did not take long. He did it cleanly too, no mess! :thumbs up:

The holder is priced at $68, which includes installation. Note that only the 'arm' part gets changed. The 'box' thing remains the same. That does not affect the function, but the aesthetic appeal is somewhat lacking (in our case, that is). Seeing as Keith is going to paint the door white, we are thinking of asking him to paint or spray paint the entire arm+box thing white as well. Hopefully that will work.

b69f50b098a2603d7d5be2d60dd61dd7.jpg

adf84eb106d5818d0b69e07481515c50.jpg

It appears My Digital Lock carries the product too. The price is higher, at $150. Perhaps it comes with the 'box' part? It sure looks sleek and nice. :)

img_1091.jpg

Hi!

Can share Kelvin's contact? Will like to change my door closer too.

Thanks!

The electrical guys protected/shielded the tiles with a cardboard when they were working on the wiring. It might not be a big deal, but we really appreciated the care they took of the tiles. :)

9478410e05a30da53f9b07107f075f36.jpg

eb903a00cf480231d4e4e696d4e0567b.jpg

Hey JohnB,

Just wanted to give you a shout-out. Thanks for the recommending the uni-arm, I installed it after seeing your blog post. Totally worth it!! and Kelvin was such a nice chap! he even gave free home networking advice :jammin:

• Like 1

Hey JohnB,

Just wanted to give you a shout-out. Thanks for the recommending the uni-arm, I installed it after seeing your blog post. Totally worth it!! and Kelvin was such a nice chap! he even gave free home networking advice :jammin:

Thanks, EdwinLow7! You're most welcome. Indeed he is. :)