Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Mine was $117 for Feb...

total 4 persons

- 3 Aircon every night on when we sleep.

- 3 doors fridge

- 1 washing machine, washes 1-2 times/week

- Daily 3 computer usage and internet access, 5 hours or more.

- On the lights only for the rooms we are using, elsewhere lights switched off.

- Heavy Cooking by Gas...

- 2 TV every night...

Expected the bill to go up next month... because my girl just finished her attachment... now nothing to do... she sleeps till noon everyday with aircon on .... Both TV and computer on when she awake...

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

well after reading this thread I do agree on some issue esp. the thermos flask...after the water boils, the sensor(thermostat) is always on to monitor the temperature level so that it maintains a certain range. So if the temperature drops it will start to heat up again to the range. In short, the electric thermos flask is like a non-stop boiling kettle.

Another item may be those electric storage heater..same terminology.

ours averages about 100 a month.

- daily usage of kettle (>= 1x), washing machine (>=1), instant heater

- always on: a pair of altar lamps, refrigerator, 2 cordless phones, 1 cable modem

- microwave (once every 2 wk)

- pc usage abt >= 1 hr every alt day

Interesting to hear that thermal flask that boils water can consume alot of electricity. However, I find it really troublesome to use the stove to boil water in a kettle...

So how ah? Is there a thermal flask that runs on gas?? Or what about those stainless steel boiler that is affix on the wall with a tap? Is there a model that runs on gas? I usually see this in hospitals and commercial establishment, not sure if also got small size one for home use...

Use cordless kettle to boil water as and when u want lor. Probably after the water cooled down, u can pour it into a jug or flask to store cold boiled water. I just turn on my cordless kettle when i want to make hot drinks, afterwhich i will turn off the switch. Me and hubby always drink tap water so we don't store boiled water.

Mine was $117 for Feb...

total 4 persons

- 3 Aircon every night on when we sleep.

- 3 doors fridge

- 1 washing machine, washes 1-2 times/week

- Daily 3 computer usage and internet access, 5 hours or more.

- On the lights only for the rooms we are using, elsewhere lights switched off.

- Heavy Cooking by Gas...

- 2 TV every night...

Expected the bill to go up next month... because my girl just finished her attachment... now nothing to do... she sleeps till noon everyday with aircon on .... Both TV and computer on when she awake...

wow this is cheap man.... Mine on average around $110 for only 2 person

Day time use only heater to shower, afterwhich hubby & me workin.

Washing on alternate days

Cooking about 3 times a week average

PC usage is less than 2 hrs a day except for weekends

we hardly use aircon bcos quite cold at night, mostly on fan only

TV usage is less than 5 hrs daily except for weekends

2 door fridge

Vaccum 4 times a week

other appliances only use as and when needed.

I think $110 each month is expensive for 2 person. But i've heard from many ppl that if u stay in a bigger hse, ur bills will be generally more expensive compared to the same amount of usage in those living in a smaller flat. Me in 5 room... maybe i should have bought 4 room :dancingqueen:

ours averages about 100 a month.

- daily usage of kettle (>= 1x), washing machine (>=1), instant heater

- always on: a pair of altar lamps, refrigerator, 2 cordless phones, 1 cable modem

- microwave (once every 2 wk)

- pc usage abt >= 1 hr every alt day

Previously my bills were shooting up to around 120- 130 each month. I usually turn off the modem and cordless phone base when all of us going out and no one at home, like when u go to work. I noticed that has reduced a substantial amt in my bill.

Hi everybody, I've heard that the water storage heater consume a huge bunk of electricity. How about those that runs on gas? What's the difference on these two?

If running on gas, the usage will be reflected by citigas and not SP service right?

Pls :dancingqueen:

I'm using central heater (storage) for my hse. We turn it on only when we want to bath. Takes abt 3-5 mins for the water to get hot, after shower turn it off. The water still be hot for at least the next 5 to 6 hrs. We don't leave the heater turned on all the time. Saves alot of electricity. I don't have to turn it on each time i bathe. Just once in the morning when we shower and then it's still hot hours later.

Me in 5 room... maybe i should have bought 4 room :sport-smiley-004:

Mine also a 5 rooms...

I usually turn off the modem and cordless phone base when all of us going out and no one at home, like when u go to work. I noticed that has reduced a substantial amt in my bill.

My modem and cordless phone base x 2 are on all days...

I'm using central heater (storage) for my hse.

Mine is instant heater...I think central heater use more electricity...

At the current place the bill is within the range of $90 - $95.

The fan on the upper level is switched on 24 hours, together with the router, pcs and laptops, 2 cordless phone, intercom, 2 TVs, 2 2-doors fridge.

Daily usage will consist of washing machine, dryer, vacuum cleaner, dishwasher, steam oven, cooking everyday, boiling water using electric kettle and the instant heater in my folk's room. Internet usage is 20 hours per day. We rarely use the aircon but the fans will be switched on in at least 4 of the bedrooms every night.

Previously my bills were shooting up to around 120- 130 each month. I usually turn off the modem and cordless phone base when all of us going out and no one at home, like when u go to work. I noticed that has reduced a substantial amt in my bill.

ya, the modem & 2 phones would be turned off when we are out except on fri - sun.

ya, the modem & 2 phones would be turned off when we are out except on fri - sun.
Wa, still ur bill high.... must be something wrong somewhere. On SP Services's website, you can actually login and submit your meter reading each month before a certain date and they will send the bill according to your usage instead of them estimating your reading. However there are pros and cons in this.

I monitored my bills for 3months and found the following:

In Dec - i took my meter reading for Electric, Gas & water but never submit. I wanted to see how much PUB is gonna estimate. So when the bill came, they actually estimated much lesser than wat i used. So i thought i saved money.

In Jan - i took my meter reading but also never submit. This time, my bill was much higher bcos i think they took the meter reading from my hse personally bcos the readings seem to tally with what SP billed me.

So u can do the same for your hse too. Take down the meter reading & see if tally lor. Maybe 2 months will be lesser but the 3rd month, should be accurate bcos their guys take readings personally from your hse once every 3 months

I noe this is stupid but i received an email abt this couple who is hardly at home but still $200 a mth for a 5-room flat even when they go on long holiday. Guess wats the reason? Cos they have a cat at home & the cat is fascinated with the toilet bowl. She keeps flushing the toilet bowl non-stop to play with the water :bleah: Anyone got pets at home who noe how to flush toilet boh? Mayb dats the reason :bangwall:

My current bill is ard $40, lived for a month there liao. Fridge, modem, cordless phone, piano heater on 24 hrs and aircon for most of the nights. Think something wrong with the readings, cannot be your fridge take in so much energy :jawdrop:

Someone tell me whats wrong? Our bills shot from $20 to $60 in just one month! The SP wouldn't be so kuku made such a high estimate suddenly?! :jawdrop:

I think U have to monitor the bill for 2 months and take the average... because one month SP service come and do the meter reading ... the other month they just estimate... so the actual bill per month will be combine both month and divide by 2...

After reading the experiences and bills of fellow forumners, really have to plan properly when getting electrical appliances for my new place.

Just sharing some things we have done in my current house (Mum's place) to reduce the bills.

Now is abt S200/mth for 5 pax.

- Choose electrical appliances with low wattage. High wattage electrical appliances consume more electricity.

Eg, thermos flask, air-con, vacuum cleaner, water heater, iron, HTS, hair dryer, etc.

- Aircon. Seldom switch on. Will not be installing in my new place.

- Switch off when not in use. Leaving electrical appliances on standby also consumes electricity (there are some who switch off thier desktop but did not turn off the monitor, note the monitor is still on standby mode). This includes wireless router.

- Avoid or reduce usage of electrical appliances with heater/heating element. These are the major culprit.

- No thermos flask, constant boiling and re-boiling. Boil one time and store in vacumn flask. Change everyday and water from the vacuum can be transfer to fridge or use to water plants, cooking etc.

- No electrical hob, big time consumer of electricity.

- No cordless phone. Leaving charger on 24hrs is wasting electricity. Will not be fixing house phone as HP is more than sufficient. Furthermore, my HP is from company, so FOC.

- Use energy saving bulb (all changed to 5W-12W). No incandescent bulbs (60W!), inefficient lighting that generates a lot of heat.

- Washing machines. Minimise the soak function. Soak in pails instead and wash in full load.

- No dryer. Again, another major culprit.

Look around the house, see whether any other electrical appliances is lying idle and wasting electricity.

Nothing is too small or too little.

:dancingqueen:

The only thing that is on 24 hrs a day is our fridge. We got our bills last for feb and its $60! We seldom on the aircon and we only went over on sundays. Cook also seldom...and slept over/bath one or twice there. Held 2 gatherings which lasts for half a day (with both aircons on) and never used anything beyond a fan, LCD TV and a flourscent light!

Someone tell me whats wrong? Our bills shot from $20 to $60 in just one month! The SP wouldn't be so kuku made such a high estimate suddenly?! :dancingqueen:

$60 sounds abit high for ur case...we live here for 3mths, average is $70-$90 wor....but do take note dat aircon does use up quite abit of electricity. Also, i tink for aircon usage, they dun count as in how much time u on u noe? Its by units...cos i saw their freaking diagram before. Its something like usage by blocks..oops...duno how to explain to u. Eg, they will count, lets say $1 for every 5 to 15min. So whether u use 5 ro 15mins, the cost is still $1...i tink they count lidat one loh...

Yeah man..its true also becos my parents slp in aircon every nite. Sometimes, they will try to turn off 2 hrs earlier then continue to slp but the bill is the same. Also, in hotter months like June, the same amt of usage will also result in higher bills becos more energy is required to keep the temperature low. Duno true boh but dats wat they told me when i called to ask loh...cos usage pattern nv change but somehow, from May to July, my parents' bill will almost cfm be higher compared to other months !!

Edited by cheesecake

I need help on utilities bill issues...

I just opened a new acct in mid sep... my bill cycle is on 26th... In sep's bill, my bill was only $106 ($100 deposit) with 3kWh electricity, those refuse, sanitary appliance, etc included...

For the whole month of Oct till now, i din even step into my new house... but the electricity reading was 402kWh!!! cost me $85.30!!! I called up SP, they explained on the estimated reading based on last month usage x nos of days & submission on every even month... i still hv to pay & no offset...

Can i ask for any waiver? cos i'm paying for something that i did not use at all...